Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 6/24/2023 at 5:45 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Reptiles aren’t made for eating unless you’re at Great Depression levels of poverty. I’ve had gator. Frog legs , rattlesnake, turtle, tortoise, and they all suck balls. Doesn’t taste like chicken. Tastes like swamp.

Fried rattlesnake at the Rattlesnake festival is good, frog legs are good, turtle soup is good, You uppity son of a bitch!

On 7/3/2023 at 10:20 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I would like trout if it didn’t taste like trout. Great efforting on all those dishes.

You’re an opinionated son of a bitch, a quality which I generally admire.  But god apparently wiped his ass on your palate when you were born. Sorry for your loss.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

The shrimp/crab combo looks excellent, but I have to comment on the ceviche.  I had never made it myself until about two years ago.  It's incredibly easy, damn tasty, and an easy way to impress guests.  I usually use snapper, but I got some fresh tuna on my last trip to Rosemary Beach and used it for ceviche.  Good stuff. 

I usually use snapper, but the freezer where we were staying was stocked with tuna they had recently caught, so I went that route. No shrimp due to food allergies.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You’re an opinionated son of a bitch, a quality which I generally admire.  But god apparently wiped his ass on your palate when you were born. Sorry for your loss.

I was born in a time “seafood” consisted of canned salmon, tuna fish, fried catfish, and shrimp of varying quality. Most fresh fish was not, and few folks knew how to cook it. Hence I don’t like freshwater fish of any sort, including fancy stuff from Eric Ripert.
I eat all shellfish, most mollusks, and lots of sushi.

I also don’t like beets, mushrooms, or sweet potatoes. Don’t drink milk, ever. I bet I have drank less than a gallon of white milk in my life and zero in my adult life.

On 7/6/2023 at 2:10 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Just my favorite grilled chicken recipe for a summer meal. Marinated overnight in beer, mustard, onion, garlic, spices. Then I boil down some of the marinade with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar for a glaze to finish off. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ebb2ddd90604ed8ef332ad8c9c20d438.jpeg

Ever try adding a little horseradish to that marinade?

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ever try adding a little horseradish to that marinade?

I could give it a shot, I’m a pretty big fan of horseradish. The marinade I use started as a recipe in the BBQ Bible that I ended up changing over time but it’s pretty much the same concept: 

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/brazilian-beer-chicken/

I don’t use the bell pepper but sometimes do chop up a jalapeño or serrano. I use more paprika and prefer Hungarian hot paprika and some smoked paprika. And I have done the whole chicken cut up but usually just get skin-on thighs because they are so good. And as I mentioned, instead of brushing with the plain marinade during the early part of cooking, I boil the marinade down a bit with brown sugar and it makes a nice glaze. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide

7 hours ago, horn4life said:

My Dad wanted some brats of all things for his 92nd birthday.  We had done some killer dogs/sausages copying a place called Dat Dog in new Orleans a few years back, but my Dad wanted something simple.  He actually wanted a tortilla (as is the proper way, with mustard).  But I looked up gourmet hot dogs to get some inspiration and there is some new chain entering Austin called Dog Haus, and they use Hawaiian rolls for all their buns.  So that became the option for everyone, rather than the tortillas.  Turned out pretty damn good, as I love Hawaiian rolls anyhow.  We always do Hawaiian rolls with our rib eye roasts, but I think I have a new bun for a leftover philly next go round!

Just a simple Brat with Sauerkraut and mustard. But damn it was delicious!

Bratsonhawaiianroll.thumb.jpeg.ed565c8718de08d62f04fa277d747072.jpeg

The Hawaiian hot dog buns at H‑E‑B at legit as well, but I kinda prefer the use of the rolls here. Nicely done. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My Dad wanted some brats of all things for his 92nd birthday.  We had done some killer dogs/sausages copying a place called Dat Dog in new Orleans a few years back, but my Dad wanted something simple.  He actually wanted a tortilla (as is the proper way, with mustard).  But I looked up gourmet hot dogs to get some inspiration and there is some new chain entering Austin called Dog Haus, and they use Hawaiian rolls for all their buns.  So that became the option for everyone, rather than the tortillas.  Turned out pretty damn good, as I love Hawaiian rolls anyhow.  We always do Hawaiian rolls with our rib eye roasts, but I think I have a new bun for a leftover philly next go round!

Your brats look way better than Dog Haus. When they opened in Arlington I was excited but it was a real disappointment in food, service, and concept.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Special thanks to whoever first posted to fry corn torts in oil for a few seconds before making the enchiladas.  Always takes the enchiladas to the next level.

Learned this from my roommate junior year at Texas.  Blew my mind.  

She also had a killer gorditas recipe, and I’ve  never found anything that comes close.  

On 7/9/2023 at 10:42 AM, horn4life said:

Looks better than anything at DH. 

On 7/9/2023 at 7:11 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Your brats look way better than Dog Haus. When they opened in Arlington I was excited but it was a real disappointment in food, service, and concept.

Have one near us and have only been to it once, not a fan of it. 

On 7/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

Fried rattlesnake at the Rattlesnake festival is good, frog legs are good, turtle soup is good, You uppity son of a bitch!

And let's not forget the best of the bunch: country-fried rattlesnake legs! They are hard to find but every once in a while ...

snake-with-legs-snake.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, mchookem said:

visited some friends with chickens and they gifted us with a couple dozen fresh yard eggs...

so my first ever carbonara!20230717_192804.thumb.jpg.d72fa8cf53afa2637a9b19dd76d43ced.jpg20230717_192810.thumb.jpg.6d1b43fb12665ad9e6a6b1ce3d2e1dd0.jpgpardon the fogginess... steam blurred the lens and I didn't have the patience to try a better pic lol. delicious!

image.png

My death row meal is cheese enchiladas with beans and rice, but carbonara is a close second.  That looks incredible.  Nice work.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Italian Sunday feast today, because why not.

Braciole with pecorino romano, prosciutto, provole, and parsley inside.

IMG_1223.thumb.jpg.ba6db6bb85babd1e3bac19be9a4520c1.jpg

Brown those shits,

IMG_1224.thumb.jpg.cbc56b3bffcf8f79d6707fea2aae7b91.jpg

Forgot to take a picture of the hot Italian sausages before putting them in the gravy.  So here's some meatballs.

IMG_1227.thumb.jpg.5a88eda92782fabe23e1356a1f7fb2ae.jpg

The Sunday gravy in all its glory...

IMG_1228.thumb.jpg.5de2c8543804681b31283341b63d9d0a.jpg

Serve with some rigatoni, bread and a decent enough Chianti and got yourself some good eats.

IMG_1231.thumb.jpg.0379028f3f0be9dce2d0a3cbf3e16b1b.jpg

Pretty sure I gained 10 lbs from this meal alone.  Worth it.

Very nice.....

Persian braised beef.  Fuck if I know if it's Persian but you had me at braised beef.  

Chuck, onions, beans tomatoes, cilantro, parsley, dill, lemon, mint, tumeric.  

It was really good.  Better than my pic. Will make again.

PXL_20230727_205553305_MP2.thumb.jpg.28789e3ec7de67079bed38e00ae76885.jpg

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 1:10 PM, 956 Worldwide said:

Just my favorite grilled chicken recipe for a summer meal. Marinated overnight in beer, mustard, onion, garlic, spices. Then I boil down some of the marinade with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar for a glaze to finish off. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ebb2ddd90604ed8ef332ad8c9c20d438.jpeg

how long do you boil ?