Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

2 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

I can handle the Brussels sprouts and fish chili potatoes, but the salt cod intrigues me-heard about it all my life, never tasted it.  Where did you find it?  Did you soak it before cooking?  Cooked in a big ole skillet?  Thanks!

My HEB in Houston has it from time to time. Next to the smoked salmon, oyster pints, and krab. 

Screenshot_20231012-135123.thumb.png.590bd5ed654c3d1b04e31d6561e14b9f.png

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Was kinda high last night and craving tomato soup. Soften some shallots in butter and evoo, add a clove of garlic and stir until fragrant, then dump in the fresh tomatoes, basil and thyme and add S&P to taste. When the tomatoes get soft, pull out the thyme  stems and throw it all in the ninja with a cup of chicken stock. Back in the pot With a little smoked Gouda and heavy cream for a quick simmer, and wala! The grilled cheese was smoked Gouda and provolone with a slice of prosciutto. 

IMG_5401.thumb.jpeg.7a0ca0b6747710390d0d83ea8459afaa.jpegIMG_5403.thumb.jpeg.e9fe00af66cf281c7882f0de44bc9758.jpeg

Gotdam I want a grilled cheese sandwich right now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I can handle the Brussels sprouts and fish chili potatoes, but the salt cod intrigues me-heard about it all my life, never tasted it.  Where did you find it?  Did you soak it before cooking?  Cooked in a big ole skillet?  Thanks!

Heya - So it was my first time and I did the research beforehand. Central Market had it as part of their Passport to Portugal event and I was eager to try it.

The cod soaked for a total of 56 hours, and I changed the water every 6-12 hours, but I’ve heard 48 total gets it done.

Cooked in a deep skillet with vegetable oil for a couple mins a side after a simple flowering.
  • Hook 'Em 2

59 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Do you have a recipe on the jaeger schnitzel?

Nothing written down. The meat is just pork loin chops pounded thin, salt and pepper, and battered flour->egg->bread crumbs.

For the gravy, cook some chopped bacon, then cook onions in bacon grease, then mushrooms. Take all that out, make a little roux, add chicken broth and milk, season (salt, pepper, thyme, garlic), yada yada, add back in onions and mushrooms.

• Hook 'Em 4

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Doing stuff around the house today and watching the (shitty) game, so had time to get my messican on….

8e5aca109e172e26464e0827e82f7e28.jpg
174124d44789be76f2124b1f048c64b8.jpg

Super easy, one of my favorite things on earth, but pricey. That’s a $32 tongue.

Haven’t paid that much for tongue since….I mean…I’ve been to Mexico…

Crazy, those prices.  Same for the packaged beef cheeks.

Of course, when you buy the whole head (at old-school shops) -- they throw in the cheeks and the tongue for free!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Live in W Austin…hard to dig through rock.

I have a Primo XL, and a trailer smoker. Both could get a full cabeza done. I do love a whole cabeza.

Go to Asian grocery store that sells roast pork.  Ask them for the head.  They usually throw that away so they will sell it to you for cheap.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:07 PM, Brisketexan said:

Was feeling shrimp creole tonight. Easy, relatively quick dish. Bought shell-on shrimp, used the shells to make a couple cups of stock, which I used in the dish:

3cecd1e2a6b7175ecbfb51741d300a77.jpg
4e7eb226160a1c02a01a16267b192b6b.jpg

Recipe, por favor? I love shrimp creole, but have never found a recipe that turns out better than just pretty good. That looks great.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Recipe, por favor? I love shrimp creole, but have never found a recipe that turns out better than just pretty good. That looks great.

I referred back to this recipe for proportions (that's the main thing I use recipes for): https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/shrimp-creole/

But I made my own shrimp stock (by shrimp with the shells on, peel, and make stock with the shells - 2 lbs makes a good 1.5 cups of reduced stock), and used zatarains cajun seasoning instead of the other spices (cayenne, salt, pepper).  Plenty of thyme as well.  I also add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste -- gives it more body and umami.

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But I made my own shrimp stock (by shrimp with the shells on, peel, and make stock with the shells - 2 lbs makes a good 1.5 cups of reduced stock)

Like homemade chicken stock (or turkey stock from Thanksgiving leftovers to make turkey gumbo), making your own seafood stock is a game changer, not only for gumbo but seafood risotto as well.

• Hook 'Em 3

Looks great. Whenever I try to stuff poblano peppers they fall apart after I roast them, let them steam in a bag, and then peal them. They don't start together enough to stuff. Usually just end up wrapping whatever I can around the filing. Any tips to keep them intact would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Looks great. Whenever I try to stuff poblano peppers they fall apart after I roast them, let them steam in a bag, and then peal them. They don't start together enough to stuff. Usually just end up wrapping whatever I can around the filing. Any tips to keep them intact would be appreciated. 

I forgot to mention we did steam them in a paper bag for 15 minutes or so.  Only tip I can think of to keep them falling apart is possibly roasting them less time or less time steaming in the bag.  We add a few toothpicks to hold them together in the oven.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like you’re overcooking them then peeling. I usually torch them or put on direct flame to chat the skin, put in the paper bag to steam a minute or two. They can still get fragile.

I have that Matt’s cookbook and it has lots of great recipes and stories. I also really like Grady Spears chicken chile relleno from Reata.

If I get really fragile chiles I say fuck it and just lay em out and make a casserole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1