The Supremes

tx 3 putt

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

At least you have Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne and Nickelback.

Seriously, though, when I think back to the very late 90s and early 2000s, I think the boybands and Britney Spears might have actually been the good music from that time.

I listen to the 80s station on XM all the time. The 90s station is basically unlistenable IMO. 

15 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Gotta go with Lithium on Sirius/XM for 90s music....

That's true. They carved all the good music out and left a bunch of Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Matchbox 20, Celine Dion, etc. Just awful.

On 2/19/2024 at 10:54 AM, Red Five said:

I listen to the 80s station on XM all the time. The 90s station is basically unlistenable IMO. 

I listen to XMU 35 almost exclusively but flip over to the 80's New Wave (XM33) quite often. Those are the two best stations on XMU.

21 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

A good companion station is First Wave which is basically 80s alternative. It's my number 2 station after Lithium.

Would you say it was just like heaven? Idk, but regardless I’m a better man for listening to both.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/19/2024 at 11:09 AM, jimmyjazz said:

I pretty much ignored new music for about a decade after Kurt Cobain died.  Possible exceptions were Spoon and Wilco.  Can't think of much else.  Holy smokes that was a bad era.

Radiohead, Daft Punk, Neutral Milk Hotel? There's a lot of good stuff that came out 1994-2004. Walkmen, Strokes, Interpol, LCD to name just a few.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Radiohead, Daft Punk, Neutral Milk Hotel? There's a lot of good stuff that came out 1994-2004. Walkmen, Strokes, Interpol, LCD to name just a few.

Pretty much just listened to Radiohead of that group.  Can't stand LCD.  I dug into Americana quite a bit, now that I think of it.

19 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

"Kids today are so soft!  Not like in my day 20+ years ago when we listened to metal music like ... Linkin Park and other emo bands."

in my defense, i won the tickets off of KLBJ and it was a stadium rock tour with the deftones, linkin park, limp bizkit (whose music also sucks but whose show kicked ass), and metallica.

On 2/18/2024 at 10:47 PM, RPM said:

John Oliver just offered Clarence Thomas $1 Million a year and a $2 Million motor coach if he retires in the next 30 days.

Can this be opened up to Go Fund Me? If Trump can raise over $1m to help him with his legal judgements, surely Dems can pony up $50m for Clarence.

Of course with Manchin and Sinema in the Senate, who knows if Biden could even get someone confirmed to the Supreme Court this year.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Can this be opened up to Go Fund Me? If Trump can raise over $1m to help him with his legal judgements, surely Dems can pony up $50m for Clarence.

Of course with Manchin and Sinema in the Senate, who knows if Biden could even get someone confirmed to the Supreme Court this year.

haha.  that would be awesomely farcical, if we get another version of the 'it's election year, so no scotus but yes scotus but no scotus' rule.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Put Fetterman in a locked room with both of them and say “We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Up to you.”

• Hook 'Em 2

On 2/19/2024 at 8:10 PM, elfenix said:

linkin park was the worst show i've ever seen live.  pretty sure their CD was playing on the engineer's stand and they just stood up on the stage and did fuck all.

It doesn't even matter.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

So Clanton will literally be served coffee, as an intern, by the Black Justice Thomas, instead of the other way around?  And I'm supposed to go church tomorrow and pretend we're not locked inside a computer program?  

Yeah, have a nice weekend folks.  See you in the next 1's and 0's.  

no judge should be appointed for life ....

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2024/02/revealed-ailing-justice-sonia-sotomayor-traveled-medic-needed/

According to newly released US Marshals Service records, Sonia Sotomayor, the oldest left-leaning justice on the bench, traveled with a medic and needed “medical supplies,” and “medical gear.”

• Rage+1 1

Surprised that no one is discussing the internet free speech case in front of SCOTUS this morning. Shit, this might be worthy of its own thread since it could have a direct bearing on how this site operates.

Supreme Court Seems Torn in Free Speech Challenges to Social Media Laws
The tech industry argues that laws in Florida and Texas, prompted by conservative complaints about censorship, violate the First Amendment. The court’s decision could fundamentally alter the nature of speech on the internet.

The Supreme Court seemed troubled on Monday by a Florida law that prohibits social media companies from disfavoring conservative speakers, at least to the extent that it bars major platforms like Facebook and YouTube from making editorial judgments. But several justices indicated that the sprawling law may be constitutional as applied to other sites like Gmail, Venmo, Uber and Etsy.

The court spent more than two hours debating the Florida law, and it went on to consider a similar one from Texas in a second argument. But based on questions in the first argument, the justices seemed torn about how to address broad challenges to laws that may be unconstitutional in key respects but permissible in others.

The court’s decision, expected by June, will almost certainly be its most important statement on the scope of the First Amendment in the internet era, and it will have major political and economic implications. A ruling that tech platforms have no editorial discretion to decide what posts to allow would expose users to a greater variety of viewpoints but almost certainly amplify the ugliest aspects of the digital age, including hate speech and disinformation.

That, in turn, could deal a blow to the platforms’ business models, which rely on curation to attract users and advertisers.

• The laws’ supporters said they were an attempt to combat what they called Silicon Valley censorship, through which major social media companies had deleted posts expressing conservative views. The laws were prompted in part by the decisions of some platforms to bar President Donald J. Trump after the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.
  • The laws, from Florida and Texas, differ in their details. Florida’s prevents the platforms from permanently barring candidates for political office in the state while Texas’ prohibits the platforms from removing any content based on a user’s viewpoint. “To generalize just a bit,” Judge Andrew S. Oldham wrote in a decision upholding the Texas law, the Florida law “prohibits all censorship of some speakers,” while the one from Texas “prohibits some censorship of all speakers” when based on the views they express.
  • The two trade associations challenging the state laws — NetChoice and the Computer & Communications Industry Association — said that the actions Judge Oldham called censorship were editorial choices protected by the First Amendment, which generally prohibits government restrictions on speech based on content and viewpoint. The groups said that social media companies were entitled to the same constitutional protections enjoyed by newspapers, which are generally free to publish what they like without government interference.
  • The states responded that internet platforms were common carriers required to transmit everyone’s messages and that the laws protected free speech by ensuring that users have access to many points of view.
  • Federal appeals courts reached conflicting conclusions in 2022 about the constitutionality of the two laws. A unanimous three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit largely upheld a preliminary injunction blocking Florida’s law. But a divided three-judge panel of the Fifth Circuit reversed a lower court’s order blocking the Texas law.
  • The Biden administration supports the social media companies in the two cases, Moody v. NetChoice, No. 22-277, and NetChoice v. Paxton, No. 22-555.
  • The Supreme Court blocked the Texas law in 2022 while the case moved forward by a 5-to-4 vote, with an unusual coalition in dissent. The court’s three most conservative members — Justices Samuel A. Alito Jr., Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch — filed a dissent saying they would have let the law go into effect. Justice Elena Kagan, a liberal, also dissented, though she did not join the dissent and gave no reasons of her own.
  • Hook 'Em 1