Fasting For Fatties is Favorable

Neonmoon

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/25/health/intermittent-fasting-live-longer-wellness-trnd/index.html

Abstaining from food for 16 to 18 hours a day could be key to treating a variety of health conditions -- even if you've got to train yourself to push past the hunger.

A review of past animal and human studies in The New England Journal of Medicinesuggests that intermittent fasting can reduce blood pressure, aid in weight loss and improve longevity.

What is intermittent fasting, and is it healthy?

The report functions as a road map of sorts for physicians to prescribe fasting as a method of prevention or treatment for obesity, cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

Study author Mark Mattson, a professor of neuroscience at Johns Hopkins University, hones in on two types: Daily time-restricted feeding (eating 6-8 hours a day and fasting for 16-18 hours) and 5:2 intermittent fasting (fasting two days a week, usually capping a fasting day at 500 calories).

The catch? Most Americans don't intermittently fast (the norm is three meals a day plus snacks) and thus physicians are less inclined to consider fasting a solution to a broad range of health conditions, according to the review.

Because the research is relatively new, the report advises physicians to monitor their patients throughout intermittent fasting and gradually increase the duration and frequency of fasting to guide their transition.

An added benefit I may have missed in the article related to IMF is the process of cellular autophagy.  

“Autophagy (or autophagocytosis) (from the Ancient Greek αὐτόφαγος autóphagos, meaning “self-devouring” and κύτος kýtos, meaning “hollow”) is the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that disassembles unnecessary or dysfunctional components. It allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components” according to Wikipedia

So this means that during this process called autophagy the body actually eats and recycles its own damaged cells and toxins which is a good thing. This clean up leaves us with the opportunity to build healthier new cells through a balanced lifestyle. This way the body can defend itself naturally against disease and premature aging. Even in a healthy body autopagy is needed. Cells are getting damaged as a part of normal metabolic processes although influences like aging, stress and being bombarded by free radicals increase the damaging effects on our cells

“Autophagy (or autophagocytosis) (from the Ancient Greek αὐτόφαγος autóphagos, meaning “self-devouring” and κύτος kýtos, meaning “hollow”) is the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that disassembles unnecessary or dysfunctional components. It allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components”

Those guys are autophags! [/Spicoli]

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Well, my skepticism aside...it does appear to be settled science that you jumpstart your metabolism throughout the day by eating something within an hour or two of waking up.  It also helps kick-start bowel movements.  Now, as Americans-we have decided to eat a rather bizarre set of things for that morning meal which aren't terribly good for you no matter your lifestyle or time of day, but that's just us (anybody remember that article about two years ago claiming that three meals a day was a colonial suppression tool?).  

Anyway, the very science behind eating something in the morning after going a long period of time (~12-15 hours) is embedded in the fucking name of the meal.  But because 'Murica, fuck that.  We say it like annoying white guys in Patagonia say the nickname for "breckenridge" and then we say something like "Fest".  But it's literally to BREAK the FAST you did the evening/night before.  So it's actually an important ritual to your body.  To shut down the digestive track in the early evening and not go until mid-morning the next day, you have done a "mini"-FAST.  And then you break that fast by waking up, preparing for the day, and having a mid-sized meal of variety.  I'm as guilty of not eating breakfast regularly, and when I do-to make it something packed with energy and fiber.  But I'm getting okay at that.  And if you're gonna eat a shitty meal, eat it at lunch in this country.  What I really need to stop doing is having dinner at 8:00p.  

Edited by Lobo

Wife's MIL is an insanely good cook.  We "broke the fast" with her french toast casserole smothered in REAL maple syrup.  Now, I'm not keto, but I do follow a fairly regimented low-carb meal program.  Yeah, not that day.....

Me 30 minutes and a couple of cups of coffee later:

ina2nz.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I skip breakfast 99% of the time.  I usually shoot for an 18/6 or 20/4 split but it depends.  

I've been doing it for a few years and love it.  What's weird is that I usually feel my best right before I eat. 

The cellular autophagy benefit is the most interesting possible benefit for me.

I've stopped since Thanksgiving and have eaten I can get my hands on in the last month. I'm hoping to start up again in a couple of days.  I need it I feel terrible with all the tasty rubbish I've eaten for a month

25 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

I eat dinner at 7 or before and don’t eat again until noon. I do have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I try to exercise during the morning.

I got super fat 2 years ago at 205. I stay around 178-183 now with this routine. 

Fuck you. 

<----- So fat I eat in my sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It makes sense.  All the other stuff aside I figure shit just needs a rest.  Eating is giving your digestive system and the support it needs from other systems work to do and sometimes it needs to kick off its shoes and make fists with its toes.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I assume that the breakfast food industry is the one behind the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" mantra.

Back in the day, when Armybrat was a pup, people would work out in the fields early in the morning. When it got too hot, they came in and took a nap and then went back out in the afternoon. So breakfast was important as was a big lunch. Dinner was a small meal. And because it was too dark to work and lighting in the house may have been poor, people didn't stay up late.

And going back to the OP, I am a big believer in evolution. In the early days of man (and for most animals), getting a good regular meal was unheard of. People would eat when they had a chance and would eat again the next time the opportunity arose. It doesn't surprise me in the least to find that intermittent eating and fasting is more healthy - we evolved that way.

• Like 2

Yeah. Actually got down to about 163. Everyone kept telling me to eat. I destroyed my right hand, and eating was a bitch for about 4 months. Couldn't open anything, couldn't cook, couldn't drive to get food. Pretty much ate once a day, because it was such a chore. Been in the habit since. I'll snack a bit, but really only eat one big meal any more.

I've never been actually fat but was always chubby.  I cut out sugar soft drinks and went to no breakfast, snack at lunch, something good for dinner at the end of my senior year (dead mom i ate what I wanted) and lost a bunch of weight. I still don't eat breakfast, and will usually do small lunch big dinner or big lunch small dinner (or juice) during the week and only dinner (or late lunch) on weekends. I fluctuate in the 180s based on how shitty i'm eating and need to cut back a bit on sweets after thanksgiving/christmas to get back to the low 80s.  Getting married makes things more difficult, I'm sitting here starving right now because my wife doesn't want to eat ("I made you breakfast!" which of course I didn't eat).

• Like 1

There's a couple of Keto/LC FB groups I lurk on and some of those people go hardcore on the fasting 20+ hours, no goddamn way in hell I could ever pull something like that off.  I've tried to skip breakfast and only have coffee or bulletproof coffee and end up eating more than I should at lunch because then I'm famished.   My main problem is eating out of boredom between meals and of course this time of year is just a bitch for me. 

4 minutes ago, Underdog said:

There's a couple of Keto/LC FB groups I lurk on and some of those people go hardcore on the fasting 20+ hours, no goddamn way in hell I could ever pull something like that off.  I've tried to skip breakfast and only have coffee or bulletproof coffee and end up eating more than I should at lunch because then I'm famished.   My main problem is eating out of boredom between meals and of course this time of year is just a bitch for me. 

I spoke with a lady who said she almost died on the Keto diet. She started the diet immediately and if I remember correctly went into a coma.

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Yeah. Actually got down to about 163. Everyone kept telling me to eat. I destroyed my right hand, and eating was a bitch for about 4 months. Couldn't open anything, couldn't cook, couldn't drive to get food. Pretty much ate once a day, because it was such a chore. Been in the habit since. I'll snack a bit, but really only eat one big meal any more.

I broke myself last year, mallet finger with fracture, and collarbone.  No comparison, but for a while I had no real desire to eat and actually lost weight.  Then the sedentariness caught up with me and blimpo.  

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Same. I eat like a goddamn 1500 calorie lunch because im fucking starving so pretty sure im just fucking myself every day 

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

Or, you know, just eat better foods in normal portions. All this shit we come up with to not get fat is because the norm has become overeating processed non nutritious crap.

Well, the norm for a few hundred thousand years was one meal a day if you were lucky. This 3 squares and all the processed shit we can find is about 50 years old at best. We aren't built to eat all day. Or even every day. Our lizard brain kicks in and we eat because our dna says holy shit, food!  Eat!  

• Like 1