US bases in Iraq under missile attack

Gil Bang

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

One side has been behaving like an adult. However, It would have been politically impossible not to respond to Soleimani’s assassination. Did you see the millions in the street following his murder? 

Wow.  Apparently the PR blitz of the Mullah's is really working well!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Xian said:

What the fuck is Iran thinking. They are painting a mad man with the power of the US military in the corner. No way we don’t launch strikes back now.   I was hoping they would have enough survival instinct to known better.  Guess I was wrong. 

nothing but pointless deaths. 

Assassinations have consequences 

• Like 2

Just now, Xian said:

But it won’t for America. we aren’t doing another ground invasion.     All this is going to do is give war hawks a reason to bomb Iran back to the Stone Age.   I don’t see what they get from this. 

Flag-waving rallies, Toby Keith songs, and an argument that you can't vote against a sitting president in a TIME OF WAR!  That's what this gets them.  And if it means we gotta lose a buncha US soldiers, and kill tens of thousands of poor fucking Iranians, well tough shit, cuz AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

The stupid thing was putting  Iran in a position where it had no choice but to respond.

In an adversarial situation, if you don't want your adversary to do something rash and destructive, you always leave your adversary a way to save face.  Taking out Iran's #2 leader, and bragging about it to high heaven, when he was quite popular internally....didn't leave Iran much choice.  Not punching back was not an option.  Putting Iran in a position where they had no viable option but to attack US interests directly was a stupid, stupid move.

That's why a crapload of us aren't upset that Solemani is dead -- we're upset that we fucking did it in such a brazen way that guaranteed a counter-strike.

Trump is a fucking insane idiot. I get that. 

I was just hoping Iran would get it too and wait a year for a us to have a new president.   

2 minutes ago, Xian said:

What the fuck is Iran thinking. They are painting a mad man with the power of the US military in the corner. No way we don’t launch strikes back now.   I was hoping they would have enough survival instinct to known better.  Guess I was wrong. 

As a matter of political theory, they can't not retaliate.

What delineates the nation-state in the post-Westphalian world is that it has a monopoly on the use of violence within its borders.  That's agreed by its citizenry.  And in exchange for giving that monopoly, the state has an obligation to protect its citizens from violence.

If a state can't protect its citizens from violence, then it fails in its basic purpose.

And when the state can't protect its own senior officials, it sends a message to the entire polity that the state has failed in its basic purpose.

Aside from the popularity of Suleimani within Iran, the Iranian regime had to retaliate to show its own people that it will take action to protect them.  If it didn't do that, then it would imperil its own existence.

• Like 6

But it won’t for America. we aren’t doing another ground invasion.     All this is going to do is give war hawks a reason to bomb Iran back to the Stone Age.   I don’t see what they get from this. 

Populist support in their country.

Just now, Xian said:

Trump is a fucking insane idiot. I get that. 

I was just hoping Iran would get it too and wait a year for a us to have a new president.   

They couldn't.  They have a country to lead, govern, and answer to.  "We'll wait till shit cools down" is a politically indefensible position inside Iran.  Not striking back was not an option.

10 minutes ago, Xian said:

Would you prefer they take out one of our top generals?  Because that’s what we did to them.    Anybody who didn’t think they wouldn’t retaliate is a moron.   

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Casualties confirmed. No word on injured vs dead.

Casualties usually means dead.  Only report I've seen so far was 20 US, but that was on Twitter and I haven't been able to find it again.

Edited by DDD Dad

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would you prefer they take our one of our top generals?  Because that’s what we did to them.    Anybody who didn’t think they wouldn’t retaliate is a moron.   

Higher than a general would work for me.  A lot higher.  Like the highest you can get. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Zepol87 said:

All on the iraq military side is what I just heard on CNN. 

If there are U.S. casualties, I doubt they would be reported right away because doing so would be handing Iran a win here.  This is some sick shit and it’s all because we let a criminal imbecile control the military after impeaching him for being a criminal imbecile.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Would you prefer they take out one of our top generals?  Because that’s what we did to them.    Anybody who didn’t think they wouldn’t retaliate is a moron.   

Yeah, the Trump apologists are painting the Iranian general as a "terrorist" and while that sounds great, that's not exactly true.  He's a senior uniformed military officer of the Iranian military.  He's not some guerrilla in a cave.  A similar comparison would be if Iran killed an American general in Germany or some such.

Trump didn't have to do this.  He did it anyway.

Just now, Foosters said:

Actually, I think Donald Trump unilaterally starting regional wars far exceeds the sum of our fears.

Actually, it doesn't.  This is EXACTLY the kind of thing we feared.  We also fear that it can and will get worse.

If Iran scores TOO big a hit, Trump is going to feel like he has no choice but to go big.  Understand, with crystal fucking clarity, that the use of nuclear weapons is on the table here.  Remember...

“Several months ago, a foreign policy expert went to advise Donald Trump,” Scarborough said. “And three times he asked about the use of nuclear weapons — three times he asked. At one point, ‘If we have them, why can’t we use them?’”

• Like 1