Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

, people who might have it, but are afraid to come in because they can’t afford the costs, people who don’t have paid leave/decent amounts of sick time, who stick it out at work, and the list goes on

This can make a big impact. Who wants a $1-3k bill for the potential regular flu. Npr had a good talk about this today

Regarding our approach to handling the virus, I think we are handling it much like the Europeans. (Except for Italy, of course, which is operating in crisis mode.) There are no travel suspensions within the Schengen area. People can travel freely, from country to country, by plane, train or automobile. It is business as usual. As in the US, lots of lip service being given as to the potential seriousness of the situation, the need to wash hands and be vigilant and such. Maybe Shady Ray or somebody else in the know can correct me or shed more light on the situation, but it seems to me our approach is in line with the Germans, the French, the Swedes, etc. And it has spread more widely in Europe than it has here. 

21 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I missed the beginning, so there was a student as well?

edit high school student, no travel history

I missed the first 13 min, but they offered helpful education and perspective consistent with what we have hearing this week and all should be understanding right now - useful mitigation strategies against transmission (some small everyday common sense, some big involving cancellation of large public events) and useful framing to help reduce panic.  The best we can do is spread out the incidence over time as much as possible to absorb it by keeping resources available.

10 minutes ago, Updawg said:

This can make a big impact. Who wants a $1-3k bill for the potential regular flu. Npr had a good talk about this today

Somebody I talked to said at his hospital, they would setup what amounts to triage areas using tents, in the parking lot, like hospitals do all the time for massive numbers of flu patients.   They get their info, get examined/tested, and then either admitted to the hospital, or the ones in better shape will be sent on their way, avoiding the hospital.  

• Like 1

Somebody I talked to said at his hospital, they would setup what amounts to triage areas using tents, in the parking lot, like hospitals do all the time for massive numbers of flu patients.   They get their info, get examined/tested, and then either admitted to the hospital, or the ones in better shape will be sent on their way, avoiding the hospital.  
Yep, when it gets bad. They did that for h1n1 or something. But why not start now. And have health insurance say there won't be co pays for proactive telemedicine etc. We are behind the ball.

Some guy in Miami tried to be proactive and he got hit with a $1500 bill for not having it.

I can imagine scenarios where hospital admission criteria might need to be tightened to save beds and vents for the sickest, and where people who would normally get hospitalized won’t.  My sense is that generally docs err on the side of admission under normal circumstances when it’s debatable, but will soon have to re-focus to increase efficiency and optimize allocation of care.  There are many nationwide on the frontlines of medicine who will make a big positive difference to adapt going forward.

Cold past couple days here in SA. But I noticed that it’s supposed to be in the 70s all next week. My lifetime of experience in south texas tells me we shouldn’t see a day with a high lower than 65 degrees here until November. Obviously nothing will stop the spread or eradicate this virus, but the heat should slow it down just a little, which will help the hospitals. 

I’ve always said I’ll never understand why people voluntarily live in cold climates. Sunny as fuck with 100 degree temps doesn’t sound too bad anymore, does it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Yep, when it gets bad. They did that for h1n1 or something. But why not start now. And have health insurance say there won't be co pays for proactive telemedicine etc. We are behind the ball.

Some guy in Miami tried to be proactive and he got hit with a $1500 bill for not having it.

Don't pay it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I doubt we ever get a definite answer on who started this mess.  The CCP is to blame.  They run a back assward country.

At least they banned the consumption of wildlife this week.  Baby steps?  Now if we can just get certain folks in Texas top stop fucking sheep, then we’d be doing our part.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Cold past couple days here in SA. But I noticed that it’s supposed to be in the 70s all next week. My lifetime of experience in south texas tells me we shouldn’t see a day with a high lower than 65 degrees here until November. Obviously nothing will stop the spread or eradicate this virus, but the heat should slow it down just a little, which will help the hospitals. 

I’ve always said I’ll never understand why people voluntarily live in cold climates. Sunny as fuck with 100 degree temps doesn’t sound too bad anymore, does it?

I hear ya.  I've got some scarred ass skin from my days as a youth working in the Texas sun.  If the heat slows it down, good.  I never thought I would be welcoming a Texas summer, unless I were in a classroom dreaming about girls and beer at the lake.

Edited by 2300 Nueces

SALT LAKE CITY — A patient who tested positive for coronavirus will be treated at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray at the request of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The announcement was made Friday evening and Intermountain Healthcare officials said in a news release the patient will be housed in a “special unit that’s separate from the hospital and designed for high-level isolation.”
Hospital officials assured that the patient, who was diagnosed with COVID-19 outside of Utah, does not pose a public health threat.
Officials are expected to provide more information about the situation at an 8 p.m. news conference that will be broadcast live on Intermountain Healthcare’s Facebook page.
Odd they are going through the trouble of shipping a patient to Utah - wonder where they are from.
I wonder if they're from Idaho. Real fly over state, probably less than optimal medical care.

5 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:

Odd they are going through the trouble of shipping a patient to Utah - wonder where they are from.
I wonder if they're from Idaho. Real fly over state, probably less than optimal medical care.

Take your pick:

• Montana - 2,200 beds (doesn’t border, but Utah maybe closest in distance for facilities). 
  • Wyoming - 1,200 beds
  • Idaho - 2,500 beds

I would imagine Wyoming to be a leading candidate.  Not a lot of beds, so probably far fewer facilities that can handle it.  Most other states in that region border states that have plenty of beds and facilities.   Plus, they might be able to drive the person by ambulance to Utah, which could make it easier for exposure purposes.  

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ignorant take. 

The whole state of Idaho has less than half the hospital beds that the city of Austin has.  Utah may have had the closest facilities.   Hell, one hospital in Lubbock has a fifth of the beds that the whole state of Idaho has.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Ok this is the first time ever someone’s said defeating the corona virus with the sun is a positive for 95 straight 100+ degree highs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But look who it is. A kid that’s never lived north of San Antonio. 

You can pry my raspa from my sweaty dead hands. Hotter climates are superior in virtually all quality of life aspects and decades of demographic trends agree with me.

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I hear ya.  I've got some scarred ass skin from my days as a youth working in the Texas sun.  If the heat slows it down, good.  I never thought I would be welcoming a Texas summer, unless I were in a classroom dreaming about girls and beer at the lake.

The summer is like a siren with it's promises of river floats, watermelon, and cold beer. Then you marry the siren and they never fucking leave and you don't float the river, eat watermelon, or drink the beer anymore 90 days into it.

• Like 1

In peak prosperity's YouTube update yesterday they had data that Thailand has 2700 viral pneumonia cases and the number is increasing exponentially. It seems they are tracking it that way so they don't scare off tourists.

There may be 10x that many with a significant illness and 100x that are asymptomatic or with very mild symptoms. We don't really know.

It is wishful thinking if you believe hot weather is going to stop it.

• Like 1

Reports are that the woman in California that was the first case of unknown origin is not expected to survive. That’s about to scare the fuck out of people here. 
Has there been any info released about this woman? Her age, etc...? Further, I believe she was already at least serious or critical when she was tested.

7 hours ago, Ellellelle said:

An acquaintance of mine, Stanley Falkow, summers at Rocky Mountain National Labs in Hamilton, MT. He is probably the world leader in microbiology. And Rocky Mountain National Labs is a part of the NIH and is a world leader in Bacteriology, Persistent Viral Disease, and Virology. Hamilton, MT is just across the Bitterroot Range from Idaho. His wife, Lucy Tomkins, trained under a relative of mine at U of W and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center who set the HIV treatment protocol for the US back in the 80s. She is now an internist at the Becker Institute for Infectious Diseases at Stanford University. She is also a professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford and has been the Epidemiologist and Medical Director of the Infection Control and Epidemiology Department for Stanford Hospital. I assume she spends the summer with her husband in Hamilton, MT but I don't know for sure. Anyway, my point is that the northern Rocky Mountain states have some stuff for infectious diseases that you might not be aware of and has some world leaders in infectious disease.

• Like 1

An acquaintance of mine, Stanley Falkow, summers at Rocky Mountain National Labs in Hamilton, MT. He is probably the world leader in microbiology. And Rocky Mountain National Labs is a part of the NIH and is a world leader in Bacteriology, Persistent Viral Disease, and Virology. Hamilton, MT is just across the Bitterroot Range from Idaho. His wife, Lucy Tomkins, trained under a relative of mine at U of W and the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center who set the HIV treatment protocol for the US back in the 80s. She is now an internist at the Becker Institute for Infectious Diseases at Stanford University. She is also a professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford and has been the Epidemiologist and Medical Director of the Infection Control and Epidemiology Department for Stanford Hospital. I assume she spends the summer with her husband in Hamilton, MT but I don't know for sure. Anyway, my point is that the northern Rocky Mountain states have some stuff for infectious diseases that you might not be aware of and has some world leaders in infectious disease.

For some reason, I read this in Dr Evil’s voice.
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
9 hours ago, Helobious said:
Reports are that the woman in California that was the first case of unknown origin is not expected to survive. That’s about to scare the fuck out of people here. 

Has there been any info released about this woman? Her age, etc...? Further, I believe she was already at least serious or critical when she was tested.

Flight attendant with seniority for long haul. Fill in the blanks. 

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

For some reason, I read this in Dr Evil’s voice.

Forgot to mention that Stanley Falkow passed away not that long ago. Now it is too late to edit my post. Through him I was offered a job at Affymetrix back when I was fresh out of undergrad. I went to another biotech company, though.

Edited by Bevo

Well he presumably had some other medical problem that required medical attention and either had no insurance or an unmet deductible. The possibility of coronavirus doesn’t make people exempt from the normal healthcare processes.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Siap. First hand account from someone with cv from the cruise ship. 

https://m.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/I-have-the-coronavirus-So-far-it-isn-t-that-bad-15093664.php

My wife, however, tested negative and headed to quarantine at a separate facility a few blocks away. After those days being cooped up on the ship together, I think we both relished the alone time

Come to think of it, I could use a vacation...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, triplehorn said:

I definitely had very strange upper respiratory symptoms earlier this week and thought for sure my body was fighting something.  I had some obvious congestion and runny nose, but also had odd left ear sensitivity that radiated up the left side of my head and caused a painful scalp if I pressed down on my hair.  It lasted less than 2 days.  But it did dawn on me I was also just gnawing on some jerky my brother brought me from a Love's truck stop in H-town, so maybe I just pulled a mandible.

Or some trucker just pegged to in the ear while you weren’t looking.

10 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Hell, maybe I will end up being wrong, but this thing reads to me like a Tropical Storm or Cat 1 hurricane. Just isnt going to send our country into the dark ages. When I read this site, I get the feeling most people here think this thing is about to change life as we know it for the foreseeable future. 

I do hope it turns into a cat1/trop storm and we dodge a bullet. and correct, we won't go into the dark ages no matter what happens. but from the article below:

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Siap. First hand account from someone with cv from the cruise ship. 

https://m.stamfordadvocate.com/opinion/article/I-have-the-coronavirus-So-far-it-isn-t-that-bad-15093664.php

this part: "This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don't have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual " means he would be infecting the shit out of a lot of people with something that feels like an average cold. But if the 10-20% hospitalization figure is anywhere true, then somnio level numbers come into play b/c then everyone is getting it and hospitals can't handle that 10-20%. So an overrun healthcare system will change "life as we know it for the foreseeable future". 

or if you consider this part in light of the Oregon school news: "I left home in January that I wouldn't be back until March - that, instead, I would be confined for more than 24 days" then people throughout the economy missing work for 24 days or people missing 5 then thinking "fuck it, i need money i'm going to work fuck everyone else's health" will affect "life as we know it for the foreseeable future". 

again, hopefully we dodge a bullet but i'd lay a Trading Places gentleman's bet on the foreseeable future being different. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, achooloco said:

I do hope it turns into a cat1/trop storm and we dodge a bullet. and correct, we won't go into the dark ages no matter what happens. but from the article below:

this part: "This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don't have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual " means he would be infecting the shit out of a lot of people with something that feels like an average cold. But if the 10-20% hospitalization figure is anywhere true, then somnio level numbers come into play b/c then everyone is getting it and hospitals can't handle that 10-20%. So an overrun healthcare system will change "life as we know it for the foreseeable future". 

or if you consider this part in light of the Oregon school news: "I left home in January that I wouldn't be back until March - that, instead, I would be confined for more than 24 days" then people throughout the economy missing work for 24 days or people missing 5 then thinking "fuck it, i need money i'm going to work fuck everyone else's health" will affect "life as we know it for the foreseeable future". 

again, hopefully we dodge a bullet but i'd lay a Trading Places gentleman's bet on the foreseeable future being different. 

6 billion deaths. That’s my prediction. Maybe 7. 

• Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away