Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The big issue is rural hospitals these days mostly just stabilize and send them on to the big boys. The big boys aren't going to have any space 3 weeks from now and rural hospitals are extremely limited on ventilators.

Some of those rural areas tried to pretend like this was no worse than the flu, and continue on as business as usual, requiring governors to finally start acting.   Those rurals could easily end up fucking up a lot of  big cities.  

2 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Blessed ours understand and are calling out their friends for being reckless. But I'm seeing large groups of teens congregating all over the neighborhood when walking the dogs. 

Seeing way too many teens in large groups in our area.  Lot of fucking dumbass parents and dumbass kids.   We’ve got several hospitals in our area, and so lot of doctors and nurses live nearby.   On a walk a few days ago, got see a guy who I think is a doctor, and he called out a group of 7-8 teens, telling them that their parents should be ashamed of them for being idiots and they should be ashamed of their parents for being idiots.   Didn’t catch the whole conversation, but the teens kind of distanced, but had the attitude of “ok boomer”.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We have a 7 year-old as well.  We can’t hide it from him, school is closed, his Cub Scout activities are shut down, and when we bike over to see one of his grandparents, he has to stay in the yard while they are on the porch.   Some of the educational companies have put out solid videos - BrainPop has a good one for older elementary that’s better than the younger elementary video.  

I caught a cold earlier this week from the other kid, and it seemed like it was going away a few days ago and then kicked my ass last night with a bit of a fever and cough.   Most likely not covid, never had the respiratory issues and the other symptoms, and our doctor didn’t feel the need to test.  

Anyways, our 7 year-old was keeping a watchful eye on me the whole day, and when he’d get an iPad, he’d FaceTime with grandparents to see how they are doing.    I fucking hate that he’s thinking about this shit.   But he’s resourceful, he’s figured out which people in our contacts list are the parents of classmates of his, and he’s wanting to do virtual play dates with them.   

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

kids are pretty resilient.  that said I'm kinda glad mine are 17 and 20 right now.

They are resilient.  But let's not kid ourselves.  This situation is a major psyche influencing event in their young lives. I have 5, 8, 11. This will be a defining event for their childhood.  The year that soccer and baseball and school got cancelled and they talked to their friends over messenger because they were quarantined with their parents. And that's even before the deaths set in. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 hours ago, UTGrad98 said:

Sit them down and have the read the stories posted on those their age dying. If that doesnt work have them read the front line reports of how the virus kills you and what that is like...the inability to breathe, intubation, basically drowning in your own blood (find youtube videos of ARDS patients)...and that while it is low odds for them to get to that point it is much higher for you and your wife and much higher for their grandparents. If that doesnt work, offer them a grand each per month to stay at home. If they go out for even 1 night, the money is off the table.

“Kids, I’m going to make this simple.  If you can’t follow the rules, and avoid being close to your friends, if anybody in this family gets sick and ends up in the hospital, it’s coming out of the savings we set aside for your college.  If anybody in this family dies from it, not only will you get to pay for college on your own, you will inherit nothing from us.”

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

“Kids, I’m going to make this simple.  If you can’t follow the rules, and avoid being close to your friends, if anybody in this family gets sick and ends up in the hospital, it’s coming out of the savings we set aside for your college.  If anybody in this family dies from it, not only will you get to pay for college on your own, you will inherit nothing from us.”

You are trying to talk reason to testosterone.  It wont work. 

Are y'all using hydroxychloroquine and the Gilead anti-retroviral? 

My understanding is that Remdesivir is in short supply. We are using hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

The cocktail du jour has changed 3 times in the last week. It all feels like a stab in the dark.

I hope when the dust settles there we’ll find that these things helped but it’s hard to be confident.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

My understanding is that Remdesivir is in short supply. We are using hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.
The cocktail du jour has changed 3 times in the last week. It all feels like a stab in the dark.

Is any of it working?

Is any of it working?

My experience is only anecdotal. I’ve seen people get better on treatment and people get worse. I’d say the sample size of our hospital is too small to make any judgements , but nothing close to what I’d call impressive. That’s a bit how it goes treating severe lung infections. Improvement is often slow. Even with appropriate antibiotic treatment of typical bacterial pneumonias once you get a lot of inflammation setting in, improvement is like turning a battleship. It’s slow.
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lhorn said:
30 minutes ago, Hate said:
Is any of it working?

My experience is only anecdotal. I’ve seen people get better on treatment and people get worse. I’d say the sample size of our hospital is too small to make any judgements , but nothing close to what I’d call impressive. That’s a bit how it goes treating severe lung infections. Improvement is often slow. Even with appropriate antibiotic treatment of typical bacterial pneumonias once you get a lot of inflammation setting in, improvement is like turning a battleship. It’s slow.

Is it standard of care now to start all hospitalized covid19 patients on them both immediately? If so are you seeing less progression from mild / moderate to severe symptoms? I could easily see giving both meds to a patient already at a severe stage with ards and hypoxia being a coin flip at best. My honest thoughts are once you intubate with ards not much is going to work as the damage has been done and likely life long damage even if they do live.

Edited by UTGrad98
english
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Big D said:

How are you guys dealing with teenagers (18) or college age (20) kids having them stay home.  It’s getting brutal around my house explaining over and over that need to stay home.  It is also not helping that their friends seem to be able to go and do shit just as it used to be.  Of course, I have told them they could be carriers and get their parents or grandparents very sick.  I’m in Dallas and just curious how others here might be handling this issue with older kids.

I have 2 university boys and an 18yo HS senior. Both older boys were back last week.  No problem at all.  The two older boys brought home their gaming PCs, and they were locked in.

Socialize? Sure they socialize, they were each on group Discord calls probably for 6-7 hrs a day.

The biggest problem I had was they din't go to bed until well into the AM.  Depending how remote classes go, they may be back (mostly because then someone cooks for them).

• Like 1

Is it standard of care now to start all hospitalized covid19 patients on them both immediately? If so are you seeing less progression from mild / moderate to severe symptoms? I could easily see giving both meds to a patient already at a severe stage with ards and hypoxia being a coin flip at best. My honest thoughts are once you intubate with ards not much is going to work as the damage has been done and likely life long damage even if they do live.

They’re both pretty available and relatively benign medications so yeah, they are used from the outset if you look reasonably sick.

You are right that ARDS pattern is what is seen in a lot of these severely ill patients. They’re hard to ventilate, high oxygen requirements. As with ARDS mortality in those requiring a ventilator will be very high and very damaged lungs in those that survive.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

kids are pretty resilient.  that said I'm kinda glad mine are 17 and 20 right now.

Was thinking about it a bit this evening, that my 11 and 14 year old will have this childhood experience, on par with something their grandparents might have experienced with disease, worldwide financial depression, or war (as far as staying home, tough financial decisions or deprivations and, in some cases, rationing.  That's not to say that our rationing is intense.  But my 14 year old is used to eating a metric ton of eggs and milk.  And so those are things that we need to replenish on the regular.  But I've put limits on it.

It sounds like small things to give up and small behaviors to change, but this generation was on track to be fairly selfish and part of society that could have anything they wanted at the click of a button.  For a GenX inhabitant like I am, that's a strange way to grow up, even though I'm way used to it myself.  So, in the interest of optimism, I hope this makes my kids appreciate some things.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

It’s not going to be over, but I’ll bet we are back to some sort of normalcy by then. It may be that the elderly and people with underlying issues are still quarantined until a vaccination is available, but I’d bet people are back at work and bar and restaurants are open. There will have to be exceptions made for people that do test positive at work like their sick days don’t count against them or something, but life must go on eventually. My wife works at an elementary school and they are out until April 13 at this point. I’m thinking she is back to work by then, but I absolutely could be wrong if things go really downhill this next week.
You serious? School is out. At best we're going to have summer school to finish out this year. School might not beer back until fall.

This is just starting here. It's March. It's going to take months to get under control. We're still comingling.

Maybe it will get solved miraculously, but the current math says several months and lots of dead people.

I want the under. Let the US Virus not be the China Virus.

I'm gonna do this time on house arrest and wait it out, though.
  • Like 3

Here in Brooklyn it’s like 50 degrees and people are out and about. Kids playing basketball, little fucktrophies are zipping around on plastic scooters. When the weather gets consistently warmer NYers will need mandatory lockdown otherwise they are just going to do whatever they want. Hell the farmers market next to McCarren park was packed this morning. Can’t be quarantined without their artisanal honey.

Pics of fucktrophies?

You serious? School is out. At best we're going to have summer school to finish out this year. School might not beer back until fall.

This is just starting here. It's March. It's going to take months to get under control. We're still comingling.

Maybe it will get solved miraculously, but the current math says several months and lots of dead people.

We’re going to win.
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yes, I'm serious.  Another 3-4 weeks and life will have to go on.  We will adapt to whatever the new normal has to be, but by the middle of April I'll bet that most people are back to work and restaurants and bars are open again.  Now, I will admit that I could be completely wrong and by no means am I downplaying the seriousness of the situation.  April 13 is 22 days from now.  I would anticipate within the next 3 weeks that there should be some sort of treatment for those who are positive to keep them from getting ICU level sick (unless there are underlying issues) and precautions in place to mitigate against further contamination.  I'll admit that I am an optimist on this which is completely against my nature, but I am hoping for the best. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yes, I'm serious.  Another 3-4 weeks and life will have to go on.  We will adapt to whatever the new normal has to be, but by the middle of April I'll bet that most people are back to work and restaurants and bars are open again.  Now, I will admit that I could be completely wrong and by no means am I downplaying the seriousness of the situation.  April 13 is 22 days from now.  I would anticipate within the next 3 weeks that there should be some sort of treatment for those who are positive to keep them from getting ICU level sick (unless there are underlying issues) and precautions in place to mitigate against further contamination.  I'll admit that I am an optimist on this which is completely against my nature, but I am hoping for the best. 

As my grandpa used to say, "shit in one hand and hope in the other. See which one fills up first."

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I think Vail and the Italian ski resort in Lombardy were the nexus which reached in to the NBA, Kaylee Hartung, heads of state, etc.  There was a disproportionate number of rich and famous in the first batch of positives.   Skiing did this.

Was there right before New Years. Wife ripped up her knee - went to the Vail hospital at the base. Couldn’t get a room as the place was overrun with flu patients. Too early for COVID I think, but certainly there’s been a few hot spots worldwide at resorts. 

Fakehub now has a Coronovirus warning on its site now (grammar mistakes and all):

Due to us exclusively shooting in Europe, and to protect performers and crew’s, we have canceled all shoots until further notice.

Unfortunately, this will result in a reduction in the amount of updates the network will see. We will update further as and when the Government feel its safe to go back to work as normal.

UNTIL THEN, PLEASE, ALL KEEP SAFE!

What are people going to do if they’re locked up in their house AND can’t get fresh batin’ material?

I can’t just re-watch PublicAgent clips. If I already know she’ll take the 2000 koruna to show her tits and the additional 4000 koruna to go into the woods / culvert for the full shebang, then where’s the romance? Where’s the intrigue if I already know the outcome?

Don’t fully understand their sources but a bad trend in the number of US cases that are listed as serious or critical: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

yesterday it was 60 and now 700. Hopefully the growth was due to more precise reporting and not that 640 people became serious over the past day.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

How are you going to modify your will if you're dead?

8 hours ago, Hate said:

It’s not going to be over, but I’ll bet we are back to some sort of normalcy by then. It may be that the elderly and people with underlying issues are still quarantined until a vaccination is available, but I’d bet people are back at work and bar and restaurants are open. There will have to be exceptions made for people that do test positive at work like their sick days don’t count against them or something, but life must go on eventually. My wife works at an elementary school and they are out until April 13 at this point. I’m thinking she is back to work by then, but I absolutely could be wrong if things go really downhill this next week.

I disagree on the schools but that may be ISD dependent at a local level. The roll out in our district has been haphazard and a lot of that seems to be due to not taking it seriously prior to Spring Break (which they had early this year). Many of the staff were gone; traveling to Colorado to ski, Florida to sun and surf, etc and then returned to panic and administration that was hampered by a comm director that for all the years my children have been in school has been atrocious. So many parents are ticked off that I suspect they are switching to home school for the duration and the District won't mind.

It was suggested on here that the elderly may be asked to sequester for a longer duration, and that makes sense but in the next few weeks procedures will begin to sharpen as we see whether the flattening of the curve was successful. From what I have seen? It will have been hit or miss.

8 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Seeing way too many teens in large groups in our area.  Lot of fucking dumbass parents and dumbass kids.   We’ve got several hospitals in our area, and so lot of doctors and nurses live nearby.   On a walk a few days ago, got see a guy who I think is a doctor, and he called out a group of 7-8 teens, telling them that their parents should be ashamed of them for being idiots and they should be ashamed of their parents for being idiots.   Didn’t catch the whole conversation, but the teens kind of distanced, but had the attitude of “ok boomer”.  

So big city folks are dumb too?

So we'll probably pass Spain today for 3rd place.  Still have to get a lot  more votes to get to #2 and get a 1st round bye when the playoffs roll around. But the way China has been playing lately, I think we have a better chance of them slipping than us catching Italy.

• Like 2

Also, two different posters have said they would leverage straight cash homey against their kids not following their direction, either as an incentive after a certain period of time for "good behavior" or in the form of affecting their kids'  inheritance.

Are y'all fucking serious?   No wonder they don't listen...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

21 states haven't reported for the last day. 

Maybe there's nobody alive to report...

It's a plague, right?  It's the reaction many folks seem to want.

Edited by Iceman

13 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I can attest to this.  Wife's office experimented with work from home; she was the guinea pig.  But she needed a headset with a mike.  I ventured to our local Best Buy on Wednesday afternoon; they had 2 in stock.  Not two models, 2.  The entire shelf space was sold out.  The worker drone told me they had been selling these nonstop.

Now the high end gaming headsets with mikes, located in a different area?  They had plenty of those.  I wasn't about to drop $50 on something she might never use again.

Update:

Best Buy closing up; curbside only now:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Maybe there's nobody alive to report...

It's a plague, right?  It's the reaction many folks seem to want.

Who is saying they want a plague?  I’m in this thread so often it’s relaxed your moms cam site as the top icon in safari, and I haven’t seen any comments like that here.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Update:

Best Buy closing up; curbside only now:

IKEA did that this week, I didn’t know until yesterday when I was browsing the website for the lates Honey Do Project essentials.  They’re obviously overwhelmed as the order status page was busted, their customer service phone stayed ‘due to overwhelming contacts we are not answering the phone’ and I didn’t get notification email on my order being ready until an hour before close.  

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Who is saying they want a plague?  I’m in this thread so often it’s relaxed your moms cam site as the top icon in safari, and I haven’t seen any comments like that here.  

My mom is 82.  Thanks for the tributes...

"Want" was the wrong word.  I should have said some folks' reactions are as if it is a plague of imminent death for everyone..

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I think Vail and the Italian ski resort in Lombardy were the nexus which reached in to the NBA, Kaylee Hartung, heads of state, etc.  There was a disproportionate number of rich and famous in the first batch of positives.   Skiing did this.

Those cat track loving mofo skiers!    Team snowboard

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

"Want" was the wrong word.  I should have said some folks' reactions are as if it is a plague of imminent death for everyone..

Was it?   

Fuck these guys and anyone even remotely like them.  

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away