Jump to content
ChickenSandwich

Canned food for the Apocalypse

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

But he still has no dick.

That's what I get for falling for the ol' ride to the park trick...  fucking Korean Vet.  Now I don't eat, can't sleep, I don't have any enthusiasm, don't write my bitch anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

You sound like my parents (RIP).  Both depression babies.  They would eat shit years past the expiration date. I, on the other hand, will toss shit the day it expires.

My mom will keep milk well past the expiration date and cook with it, which works perfectly well.  But as a result of growing up in such a household, I will use milk past expiration (coffee, cereal) as long as it passes the smell test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 10:28 AM, Brisketexan said:

Americans should prep with pure canned America:

spam-wall.0.0.jpg


Did not realize that you were Hawaiian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dcbc said:

My mom will keep milk well past the expiration date and cook with it, which works perfectly well.  But as a result of growing up in such a household, I will use milk past expiration (coffee, cereal) as long as it passes the smell test.

Milk is about the only expired thing I won't test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Milk is about the only expired thing I won't test.

I have a good nose for it.  The stamped date is a prediction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought two cases of identical Progresso soup and two cases of green beans.

Starting to think I should add some variety...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I bought two cases of identical Progresso soup and two cases of green beans.

Starting to think I should add some variety...

I went the @Brisketexan method of purchasing Spam. We have enough Spam, beans, and rice to last 2 months. I need to find some canned jalapenos to add to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I went the [mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] method of purchasing Spam. We have enough Spam, beans, and rice to last 2 months. I need to find some canned jalapenos to add to it. 

Fuck yeah you do. Shit, enough heavily salted canned meat and spicy jalapeños kill any virus on contact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if this shit goes south and I'm walking to Hemmingford Home, NE to see Mother, I'm breaking into all of your houses.  Try not to die near the canned food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Milk is about the only expired thing I won't test.

Me either.  Everything about it makes me want to be violently ill. To upchuck, even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Me either.  Everything about it makes me want to be violently ill. To upchuck, even.

For disaster planning, powdered milk, dude. We actually have a bag on hand (used it to make a cocoa mix). It ain’t great, but it’s okay for cooking, putting in your coffee, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Girdwood said:

spacer.png

Problem with that is the can is mostly sweet potatoes.  They cheat you on the creamed possum and coon fat gravy which is why i make my own.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:


Fuck yeah you do. Shit, enough heavily salted canned meat and spicy jalapeños kill any virus on contact.

SPAM has already figured this out:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS3GDWuAVGrZCzM74LubDog0G46JN3n0Mqjdu1Xkx3tRFrQWqf9APb6ZvDgmEk&usqp=CAc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UHT milk is shelf stable at room temp if it's packaged properly (tetrapak).  a lot of organic milk in grocery stores is UHT which is the main reason the sell by date is much further out than normal cow juice (and also why it lasts well past the sell by date - i won't even tempt regular milk past that date but the UHT organic seems to be good for at least a week after). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are stocking up on dry goods such as rice, beans, noodles, flour, etc don't forget ingredients that give the food flavor. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, chicken broth, etc...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, F250 said:

If you are stocking up on dry goods such as rice, beans, noodles, flour, etc don't forget ingredients that give the food flavor. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, chicken broth, etc...

 

 

Dude, I'm half messican.  We ALWAYS have a giant jar or two of this on hand:

 

KNORR-CALDO-DE-POLLO-2-Jars-of.jpg

 

And actually, one of the canned goods I grabbed was a few extra cans of stewed tomatoes.  You can dress up a lotta stuff with some canned tomatoes.  

 

And as for milk, I know many US stores carry this (all the stores in Europe seem to):

34ec4ea7b1a7cceb452cec8518e1ea5a_large.p

The shelf-stable milk isn't bad.  It isn't great, but it isn't bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For disaster planning, powdered milk, dude. We actually have a bag on hand (used it to make a cocoa mix). It ain’t great, but it’s okay for cooking, putting in your coffee, etc.

Just get the shelf stable milk.

 

Nevermind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

3cd9db17944cb23e7cc93aeba0595554.gif

Shakira is so hot,  I find that gif arousing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, I'm half messican.  We ALWAYS have a giant jar or two of this on hand:

 

KNORR-CALDO-DE-POLLO-2-Jars-of.jpg

 

And actually, one of the canned goods I grabbed was a few extra cans of stewed tomatoes.  You can dress up a lotta stuff with some canned tomatoes.  

 

And as for milk, I know many US stores carry this (all the stores in Europe seem to):

34ec4ea7b1a7cceb452cec8518e1ea5a_large.p

The shelf-stable milk isn't bad.  It isn't great, but it isn't bad.

I keep boxes of these hand to pull my kids out of their bubble and keep them in touch with their heritage.

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, I'm half messican.  We ALWAYS have a giant jar or two of this on hand:

 

KNORR-CALDO-DE-POLLO-2-Jars-of.jpg

 

 

I'm two halves white and I have this and Maggi in my cupboard.  That makes a tasty soup.

Edited by Liquor and Poker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, F250 said:

I keep boxes of these hand to pull my kids out of their bubble and keep them in touch with their heritage.

spacer.png

 

FUCK.  YES.

You make soup, or you make it dry?  Fry the fideo and onions, add a coupla cups of knorr, cook down till the liquid is gone.  Top with a little queso blanco if you want.  My son will eat the whole pan of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FUCK.  YES.

You make soup, or you make it dry?  Fry the fideo and onions, add a coupla cups of knorr, cook down till the liquid is gone.  Top with a little queso blanco if you want.  My son will eat the whole pan of it.

Both but my preference is dry. That is pretty much how I make it but like to add some serrano peppers if it's just me and my teenagers eating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F250 said:

If you are stocking up on dry goods such as rice, beans, noodles, flour, etc don't forget ingredients that give the food flavor. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, chicken broth, etc...

 

 

Make sure your spice rack is fully stocked, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

FUCK.  YES.

You make soup, or you make it dry?  Fry the fideo and onions, add a coupla cups of knorr, cook down till the liquid is gone.  Top with a little queso blanco if you want.  My son will eat the whole pan of it.

Whhhhyyyyy do only carb-loaded foods sound good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I been stock piling ammo.  I'll just take what the fawk I want when I get hungry.   Make sure you keep a can opener handy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought some extra of the stuff we usually have on hand anyway. I frequently bake bread/rolls, etc so we always have flour, yeast, powdered milk (for one of my bread recipes) and oatmeal on hand. We also like most of you keep rice and pasta/noodles and canned tomato sauce and tomato paste, and other common staples too.

So this trip I grabbed some more cans of red beans (red beans & rice), clams (for red sauce and chowder), tuna, beans (some canned some dried), several cans of corned beef hash, and a few cans of fruit. A couple of cans of soup and we're good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, F250 said:

If you are stocking up on dry goods such as rice, beans, noodles, flour, etc don't forget ingredients that give the food flavor. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, chicken broth, etc...

 

 

Goya is your friend here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, F250 said:

I keep boxes of these hand to pull my kids out of their bubble and keep them in touch with their heritage.

spacer.png

 

Viva La Raza !!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I been stock piling ammo.  I'll just take what the fawk I want when I get hungry.   Make sure you keep a can opener handy.

I have north of 10k rounds, per caliber. I’m good here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been stockpiling soups, rice, beans, crackers, peanut butter, tuna, and a bunch of frozen stuff, including Central Market tamales.  If this drags on for more than 6 months, I will have to rotate some of my stock as I'm able.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

happy to report that HEB is still well provisioned.  picked up two mi tienda al pastor, 3 spare ribs, and 2 brisket flats for pastrami. also a couple handles at the twins across the street.  let's do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Underdog said:

You feed that to your dog?  Do you also feed your baby chili? 

If I run out of dog food during the upcoming apocalypse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I been stock piling ammo.  I'll just take what the fawk I want when I get hungry.   Make sure you keep a can opener handy.

Was walking through the corner mart today. Pickign up some coke zero for the coming whiskey and coke apocalypse. noted that they had a full case of frozen pizza. figure if push comes to shove me and my neighbor could take this down without much resistance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The leakage from Shakira's ass immediately prior to the money shot is what makes that art.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 6:13 AM, Bateshorn said:

Either that or it was dropped and the  epoxy lining chaffed or broke down causing it to react with the raw metal of the can, creating an off gas situation.  But an intact, Undamaged can is heremetically sealed under vacuum and should not spoil.

The can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli with the 2012 expiration date that I ate last summer confirms this thesis.  The color seemed a bit "brighter" but there was no foul smell (other than the normal one) and no stomach issues after consumption.  Of course I am blessed with a cast-iron stomach so the results may vary for mere mortals in this here thread of gastrointestinal roulette.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli with the 2012 expiration date that I ate last summer confirms this thesis.  The color seemed a bit "brighter" but there was no foul smell (other than the normal one) and no stomach issues after consumption.  Of course I am blessed with a cast-iron stomach so the results may vary for mere mortals in this here thread of gastrointestinal roulette.

The flavor and chemical composition of the ingredients may change over time and with storage, eventually becoming inedible/digestible, but a properly stored, intact can good will not bacterial spoil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...