College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

21 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The amount of Big10 ass covering going on now is just pure theater.  Just pure enjoyment watching all of this go down.

I'd enjoy it a lot more if I believed we could actually pull off a season here in the B12, while the B1G sat on the sidelines.

But I just don't see it happening.  By 9/26, there are going to be too many on-campus cases and too much pressure, to have football.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, EZ$ said:

We need a season to pick up some ground on Michigan and OSU for all time wins.  Will slightly make up for the ground we lost last decade. 

Hmm... You know, I hadn't thought of that, good point, here is the current top 10 in all time CFB wins: (UT-4/ OU-6)

ALL-TIME WINS

In other news, it looks as if NCAA is trying to get its act in order, for "bubble environment" for March Madness 2021:

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

In the beginning they're talking about how OU Athletics has been affected by covid in so many ways. 

They both feel the biggest issue is sourcing enough dicks during this pandemic. Apparently Riley has been traveling all over the country trying to find enough to satisfy the whole team. 

Even though he's the best  in the business, he still can't find enough dicks. 

Then they speculate if OU was in the Big 10 or SEC, would be easier to find more dicks. 

9CjQniE.gif

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Footnotes on the podcast?  I'm not gonna listen to that

It is saying that there are rumors of ESPN looking to help facilitate conference realignment, as early as this fall...
What I speculate is, Nebraska wants to come back to XII, there also may be interest from 1 other school (Iowa)...
XII could also be in play for grabbing (up to) 6 or 7 PAC schools (I will list from most likely to "harder to pull" in:

[easier] -
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

[possible] -
USC
UCLA

[needs work] -
Washington
Oregon
California

I  surmise Penn State (might be, tho unlikely) in play for moving to ACC, if Notre Dame goes all in for #16 there...
If not, West Virginia would "fit in" well, since 7 old BigEast foes are there as is, & Notre Dame is still pulled #16...
If no (2) ACC moved to SEC [due to ACC getting Penn State] SEC could get Kansas State/ Oklahoma State, ect...

EgVbqZuWoAIwbnp?format=png&name=900x900
That lays groundwork for Disney: getting the top brands out west & pulls Huskers back, a "XII network" is born..?

EgVc5rzXoAADbEB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd enjoy it a lot more if I believed we could actually pull off a season here in the B12, while the B1G sat on the sidelines.

But I just don't see it happening.  By 9/26, there are going to be too many on-campus cases and too much pressure, to have football.

There's still hope:

I see SEC leading the charge, (with ESPN, who has the most to lose) with ACC, & XII could be "promised" getting a better tv $ (if gaining NU/ USC ect., soon)...

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

2 things of note:

So we might actually live to see realignment before COVID catches up to us..? Who'd have thought that just back in May...

Anyway some ol' fooseball is about ready to kickoff, (as said) if ESPN can get Nebraska/ Colorado/ USC & pals, XII wins...

It's a long way from podcast talk of rumors to anything actually happening. A very long way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

It's a long way from podcast talk of rumors to anything actually happening. A very long way.

Agreed... (as in close to reality, but still so "far fetched")...

In other news, ACC has reset the NC State/ VA Tech tilt:

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

It is saying that there are rumors of ESPN looking to help facilitate conference realignment, as early as this fall...
What I speculate is, Nebraska wants to come back to XII, there also may be interest from 1 other school (Iowa)...
XII could also be in play for grabbing (up to) 6 or 7 PAC schools (I will list from most likely to "harder to pull" in:

[easier] -
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

[possible] -
USC
UCLA

[needs work] -
Washington
Oregon
California

I  surmise Penn State (might be, tho unlikely) in play for moving to ACC, if Notre Dame goes all in for #16 there...
If not, West Virginia would "fit in" well, since 7 old BigEast foes are there as is, & Notre Dame is still pulled #16...
If no (2) ACC moved to SEC [due to ACC getting Penn State] SEC could get Kansas State/ Oklahoma State, ect...

That lays groundwork for Disney: getting the top brands out west & pulls Huskers back, a "XII network" is born..?

The best thing about the last graphic, with the "new B12," is the absence of Baylor.  If the only good thing to come out of the pandemic is the jettisoning of Baylor, it will have been worth it.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kopp0e said:

[easier] -
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

[possible] -
USC
UCLA

[needs work] -
Washington
Oregon
California

I realize its all fan fiction at this point, but Stanford is notably absent.

Also, I don't believe you can get UW or UO  without little brothers WSU and OSU.  There would be political fallout in both states under that scenario.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'd bet there's validity to this.  They wanted to lead the charge up the hill and just expect the rest of us to fall in line.  Whoops.

Matches everything i've heard and what we've seen...  certain parties/personalities fall in line with shut down mentality and the other side flows with "move on" thought process.   The new B1G commish is off to a rough start, end result might have been the same, but his position is to hear all sides and placate to the right decision vs assumption and one sided discovery.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I realize its all fan fiction at this point, but Stanford is notably absent.

Also, I don't believe you can get UW or UO  without little brothers WSU and OSU.  There would be political fallout in both states under that scenario.

I'd gather the optics of (it's either there's 1 P4 team in state, or none) fixes that circumstance.?!

I wonder (more importantly) what would be the outcome of Baylor losing P5 in state of Texas..?

Anyway, (back on topic) PAC & B1G have some image fixin' to do, moving past the year 2020:

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Possible. Also possible: the 'Rona is burning out and the immunity threshold is closer to 20% than 80%. If this proves to be true, then the BIG will be on the sidelines wearing a paper bag.

Bag-Headed Sports Fans Who Love Awful Teams | Bleacher Report ...

• Like 1

Agreed.  I'm not gonna blast Ferentz because I know he gave $1MM to the University Hospital.  But you'd think the Iowa AD could come up with some plan to save those sports...  

Back in 16 when NDSU beat Iowa is when I first found out their S&C coach made well over 600k. Twice as much as what Klieman was making. Their AD is an NDSU guy so bison fans were afraid they’d poach their S&C guy who’s making like 90k.

Just insane numbers these colleges pay staff. Coordinators making well over a million? LofuckingL

24 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Possible. Also possible: the 'Rona is burning out and the immunity threshold is closer to 20% than 80%. If this proves to be true, then the BIG will be on the sidelines wearing a paper bag.

Bag-Headed Sports Fans Who Love Awful Teams | Bleacher Report ...

I hope you are right. 40-70% seemed high to me for necessity for herd immunity. Based upon, nothing, so it’s not like it’s an opinion I’m arguing or something, but If you were right that would be awesome. 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Just insane numbers these colleges pay staff. Coordinators making well over a million? LofuckingL

When you look at the revenue generated by a top program, those salaries are a bargain.  Hell, I'd have paid a million (if I had it) to have a number of our prior coordinators shipped off to N.Korea.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bartles said:

Again, "little birdies" means it's complete bullshit

Would you take an "Anonymous Insider" in the Bug 10?

https://www.si.com/.amp-michigan/college/michigan/football/michigan-football-wolverines-jim-harbaugh-warde-manuel-big-ten-2020-season-postponement-cancelation?__twitter_impression=true

That didn't happen. And if you're looking for another reason to hate Notre Dame, now you have it. 

"Notre Dame really wanted to play and was willing to enter into an agreement that could lead to something down the road ... at the very least, more games every year against ACC teams," an insider shared. "They're adamance about playing was the ace-in-the-hole a group, led by Clemson, needed to really push for a season and turn the tide in favor of ignoring the Big Ten. 

"I mean, if Notre Dame, with their academic reputation and their national brand, was willing to go forward ... it sort of just sealed the ACC's fate."

IT was the Irishman, in the ACC Observatory, with the contract noose.

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

[easier] -
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

[possible] -
USC
UCLA

[needs work] -
Washington
Oregon
California

Doesn't Fox Sports have a pretty big contract with the big 12 so they would need to be a part of it with daddy Murdoch having a say?  Also, what happens to Baylor is this rumor?

Edited by Pasken

4 hours ago, Pasken said:

Doesn't Fox Sports have a pretty big contract with the big 12 so they would need to be a part of it with daddy Murdoch having a say?  Also, what happens to Baylor is this rumor?

Fox has 50% of 1st & 2nd tier rights, but ESPN holds all rights to XII title game & 9 out of 10 3rd tier rights (OU pending, currently with Sinclair)...
That's my question, although Baylor nearly got left out in 2010, so would the league need to do the same as with the SWC & Big8 merger 1996..?

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm guessing its a coin flip this scenario plays out. But you know what the B12 did that the B1G did not? Gave itself time to see what actually happens this next month. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Adding to the futility of Warren’s leadership is the fact that the medical report that the Big Ten cited as its main reason for calling off the season (that coronavirus can cause the heart condition myocarditis, or make it exponentially worse) has since been retracted. This was after a University of Michigan doctor said the report was filled with disputed medical claims.

Did you get all of that? The medical report that the Big Ten was using as its No. 1 reason to cancel the season has since been debunked. This is how things like the worse blunder in sports history happens.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

This is truly interesting and will be a fun story to watch.  Truth is, though, that the B1G has plenty of cover for the cancellation in terms of universities sending kids home and Covid continuing to spread.  Not to say that they could not have played, just that the decision can be painted as responsible towards mitigation of the disease.

Now, that does nothing to help the budgets of the B1G athletic departments that are going to take it in the shorts here.  But, it will help on the PR side, for sure.

17 hours ago, Pasken said:

Not to mention Oklahoma State.

Mandel finally realized he was being a bit of a bitch.

Before I get to your questions this week, I wanted to address something that’s been weighing on me — and many of you.

Writing and tweeting about college football in the time of COVID-19 has been the greatest challenge of my career because the topic is so emotional and has become so divisive. I’ve been accused at times of being too negative, or even that I’m trying to bring down college football due to some political agenda. Up until recently I mostly brushed off those comments. Once in a while I would snap back.

But over the last couple of weeks the tenor intensified — both from myself and my readers/followers. I’ve caught myself on a few occasions having to delete tweets that were just plain condescending. On Monday, after the preseason AP poll came out, I published a seemingly fun and innocuous piece making “predictions” on how the now-canceled marquee September matchups would have transpired. When the comments section quickly deteriorated into angry readers blaming me for those cancellations — and those comments getting lots of “thumbs ups” — it was time to stage a self-intervention.

The simplest explanation I can give you is, I’ve still got a lot of fears about COVID-19, both for myself and my family members. I live in a part of the country (California) that is still being super cautious (bars and indoor dining never reopened, outdoor gatherings are still severely limited), and every university in my time zone has canceled football. So it definitely feels foreign and alarming when I see pictures/videos of students at bars or news that a school is going to be allowing 20,000 fans at its games. And so I’m probably projecting some of my own fears in my tweets/comments about that kind of stuff.

Although my concerns aren’t going away (yet), I don’t think I’ve done a good job of taking the time to understand and accept that my reality is not necessarily the same as many of yours. I’m aware that in the South and elsewhere, people are increasingly returning to regular life (albeit in masks). High schools are playing football games. My brother’s ’90s party band in Cincinnati played in front of a socially distanced crowd at a bar last weekend. For many people — myself included — college football returning will be the most seminal milestone yet. And though I assure you I have neither the desire nor the influence to prevent that from occurring, I haven’t been reading the room with some of my more flippant tweets recently.

So, what do you say we hit the reset button? While I’m not going to stop reporting/commenting on pertinent COVID-related news, I’m going to be more mindful of my tone. Also: There are games being played barely more than a week from now. We at The Athletic are rolling out a lot of season preview content this week and next.

https://theathletic.com/2023736/2020/08/26/mandels-mailbag-who-are-the-best-new-offensive-and-defensive-coordinators/?source=emp_shared_article

• Like 2