The Snyder Cut! #itshappening

Parliament

After years of protests, petitions, often vicious pile-ons, and Twitter hashtags, what once seemed impossible is actually happening: WarnerMedia announced on Wednesday that HBO Max would “#ReleasetheSnyderCut,” and be home to a new version of the 2017 superhero film Justice League, overseen by director Zack Snyder. The “Snyder Cut,” if you will, is expected to cost upward of $20 million in order to become a very different movie from the one that Joss Whedon had a hand in cobbling together in reshoots.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/21/21266527/zack-snyder-cut-justice-league-changes-differences-darkseid-new-scenes

Edited by Parliament

Snyder has the wrong philosophy for a superhero movie.

I watched a really good breakdown of Man of Steel vs Iron Man. Two very similar movies and Man of Steel didn't work and Iron Man kicked off the biggest movie franchise in history.

It explained how Snyder's handling of Superman was all wrong from the beginning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawndoh said:

Snyder has the wrong philosophy for a superhero movie.

I watched a really good breakdown of Man of Steel vs Iron Man. Two very similar movies and Man of Steel didn't work and Iron Man kicked off the biggest movie franchise in history.

It explained how Snyder's handling of Superman was all wrong from the beginning.

From what I've read, Snyder didn't care much for Superman, and wanted to do Batman instead, but took Superman as a way to get into DC and do the Batman movie(s) he wanted.

Favreau and company loved the character of Iron Man.

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

From what I've read, Snyder didn't care much for Superman, and wanted to do Batman instead, but took Superman as a way to get into DC and do the Batman movie(s) he wanted.

Favreau and company loved the character of Iron Man.

This explains a lot. I liked the part in Man of Steel where Superman allowed Pa Kent to die, so that no one would see him using his superpowers. Because that's totally something Superman would do. 

On 5/22/2020 at 11:19 AM, Red Five said:

This explains a lot. I liked the part in Man of Steel where Superman allowed Pa Kent to die, so that no one would see him using his superpowers. Because that's totally something Superman would do. 

The Donner movie from 1978 handled this in the best manner. Glenn Ford dies from a heart attack after running with Clark. No matter what powers Clark has, he still can’t save his father. Clark even says as much at the ensuing funeral. 

What a powerful moment in the character development for Superman. Not to mention John Williams’ score during the funeral and Clark leaving home shortly after. 

No one has ever really “gotten” Superman since, at least in live action. Paul Dini came closest in the animated series. Snyder certainly didn’t. That’s why Donner and Reeve’s 1978 film is the best. The graphics are hokey, and they could’ve found a better Lois Lane, the character development was spot on.

• Like 1

I know it's cool to shit on Snyder, but 300 and Watchmen were solid adaptations. Yes, even with the changed ending to Watchmen.

With that said, yes, everything he's done related to Superman/Justice League/DC since then has been terrible.

• 4 weeks later...

I will see it . . . 

"Darkseid, the ruler of Apokolips and a god of fascism — who has the power to bend humanity to his will. . . . 

Apokolips is a hell world, covered in a single ruinous city, dotted with fire pits spewing heat and flames from the world’s core. Darkseid is served by his administrator, Desaad, his bumbling and sycophantic son, Calibak, and other elite torturers, mad scientists, warriors and assassins. These are the New Gods, Steppenwolf among them, who most often come toe to toe with heroes on Earth, whenever Darkseid’s gaze casts itself upon our lowly planet. 

But a villain who can put a boot on even Superman’s neck isn’t the true threat of Apokolips. Again and again, Kirby frames the triumph of Apokolips as a triumph over minds. Darkseid’s armies aren’t monsters, and Parademons aren’t men corrupted by alien science-magic to smell fear and eat flesh. They’re people."

There is a lot for Snyder to work with Darkseid. 

image.png.58e461b2f90b611f1f7ae9f7f5bb6fb2.png

13 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

I will see it . . . 

"Darkseid, the ruler of Apokolips and a god of fascism — who has the power to bend humanity to his will. . . . 

Apokolips is a hell world, covered in a single ruinous city, dotted with fire pits spewing heat and flames from the world’s core. Darkseid is served by his administrator, Desaad, his bumbling and sycophantic son, Calibak, and other elite torturers, mad scientists, warriors and assassins. These are the New Gods, Steppenwolf among them, who most often come toe to toe with heroes on Earth, whenever Darkseid’s gaze casts itself upon our lowly planet. 

But a villain who can put a boot on even Superman’s neck isn’t the true threat of Apokolips. Again and again, Kirby frames the triumph of Apokolips as a triumph over minds. Darkseid’s armies aren’t monsters, and Parademons aren’t men corrupted by alien science-magic to smell fear and eat flesh. They’re people."

There is a lot for Snyder to work with Darkseid. 

image.png.58e461b2f90b611f1f7ae9f7f5bb6fb2.png

And that word is...poontang.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 3/17/2021 at 12:57 AM, NWBuck said:

And how many of the new shots will involve Gal Gadot? Asking for me.

She phoned it in big time. That whole speech she gave about Darkseid's past literally sounded like she was bored and reading off a sheet of paper.

And her "Kal-El, noooo" line was hysterically bad. She's not a very good actress.

Edited by satyanash

She phoned it in big time. That whole speech she gave about Darkseid's past literally sounded like she was bored and reading off a sheet of paper.
And her "Kal-El, noooo" line was hysterically bad. She's not a very good actress.

I would think she’s been an English speaker since a very young age but a good portion of her lines sounds like she learned how to say words in another language without actually learning the language and she can’t annunciate at all. Like Peggy Hill’s Spanish.

However, at least Snyder understands the character unlike Patti Jenkins. WW is much better here than her own movies.

Was it better than the 2017 JL?  Yes, by a mile.

Was it a great movie by superhero movie standards?  Not really.  It was good enough which is much better than most DC superhero movies.

Did the expanded footage make the story more comprehensible?  Yes

Was The Flash still annoying as comic relief?  Yes

Could the movie have been shortened to 3 hours long if they got rid of all the gratuitous and distracting slow mo scenes?  Yes

Was the epilogue more interesting than the main movie?  Yes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I couldn't watch this on my Fire Stick - it wouldn't render the video but the audio was fine.  I was able to Chromecast it from my pc to the TV though, so I don't think it was an aspect ratio problem with my TV.  Weird.  Other HBO max stuff plays just fine.

I had never watched this or BvS before because of the bad reviews.  Glad I waited for the extended versions.  Enjoyed them a lot and they made as much sense as this type of movie usually does.  No really big chunks of missing plot.

Oh, HBO max chromecasted to TV would not display the subtitles, which I really needed for some of the dialogue, so I had to keep switching back to the pc and rewinding since the CC worked on the PC.  That was annoying.

Edited by UT Football Fan

I never would have guessed that a Snyder movie would have much better character development than the Whedon version of the same movie.

And I never would have guessed that at this point in time, Snyder's career would be on the rise (rumor has it he's being pursued for a Star Wars movie) and Whedon's career would be in the shitter. If only Whedon wasn't such a massive asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, UT Football Fan said:

I couldn't watch this on my Fire Stick - it wouldn't render the video but the audio was fine.  I was able to Chromecast it from my pc to the TV though, so I don't think it was an aspect ratio problem with my TV.  Weird.  Other HBO max stuff plays just fine.

I had never watched this or BvS before because of the bad reviews.  Glad I waited for the extended versions.  Enjoyed them a lot and they made as much sense as this type of movie usually does.  No really big chunks of missing plot.

Oh, HBO max chromecasted to TV would not display the subtitles, which I really needed for some of the dialogue, so I had to keep switching back to the pc and rewinding since the CC worked on the PC.  That was annoying.

Have you tried Google TV? Hands down the best option. Having a remote that you can talk into with the best voice recognition out there is great, and since it has volume, power and input buttons which can all be IR or HDMI-CEC is a game changer. Plus the recommendations and the ability for it search all the apps without you opening them is awesome (like you can look up an actor/director or whatever and get all of the movies they are in). The fire sticks have always been slow and glitchy for me and the chromecast (even the max) was always kind of clunky because you had to use your phone or laptop since it didn’t really have a UI.