Trump Donations From Pluckers Co-Founder in 2016 Resurface on Twitter and People Are Mad

Mappable

https://austin.eater.com/2020/6/5/21281623/pluckers-trump-donations-twitter-viral

People are not very happy with Austin-based chicken wing restaurant chain Pluckers after finding out that one of its co-founders donated to the Trump presidential campaign in 2016.

A Twitter user posted a screenshot of one of co-founder Mark Greenberg’s donations to Trump in 2016, alongside text that read: “In case y’all are wondering why @pluckers is so quiet,” referring to the fact that, at that point on the evening of Wednesday, June 3, the chicken wing company hadn’t shared any messages of solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement or the protests, which began late last week, unlike other restaurants and companies.

In response to the tweet, people have been expressing their disappointment and dismay to the point where Pluckers was trending on Twitter locally. Many have vowed to go to get chicken wings from other restaurants instead, and others offered restaurant recommendations, especially of black-owned restaurants such as The Rolling Rooster and Gossip Shack.

A day after the tweet, Pluckers posted a message to its social media accounts on the afternoon of Thursday, June 4. It wrote that George Floyd’s death in police custody was “painful to watch” and “an unnecessary example of excessive force and the cruel nature of abusive police officers.” The company noted that it tries “to be a safe haven” for everyone and that it treats its employees “with blindness to color, religion, gender, or sexual preference.”

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

Guest Lobo
18 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Wrong forum brah. 

Yeah dude, it belongs on "Food & Travel" so I can make a snarky comment about the food is so shitty, nobody should eat there regardless of political affiliation.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah dude, it belongs on "Food & Travel" so I can make a snarky comment about the food is so shitty, nobody should eat there regardless of political affiliation.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I was hired by Mark and Dave in 1999- to work at the original location as a delivery driver. I think they opened in 98, but they already had an expansion vision. Loved working there. Order whatever you want on shift for free. Ate for 1/2 price off the clock as long as you weren’t in your gear. I think I ate nothing but pluckers that entire summer. 

• Like 1

Leaving aside the donation, the part that stuck out to me is that they haven’t issued any statements of support. I’m not sure why that’s a thing anyway. I’m already tired of the boilerplate emails I’m getting from every company I’ve ever bought anything from ever telling me they’re against racism. Thanks for clearing that up, Best Buy CEO Corie Barry.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 2

I got a email from the Tile Shop.  I must be on their list from some remodel purchases a few years back.  They wanted to let me know that they support the BLM movement, and that also, if I was a contractor, builder, or installing working on a rebuilding project impacted by the protests or riots, to be sure to give them a call and connect. 

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've never walked into Pluckers and thought "Wow this is a real hot bed of people that wouldn't eat here if it came out that a co-founder was a republican"

Cancel culture's gotta cancel culture brah!

Guest Lobo
2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

While the game of "we care about injustice here at XYZ Corp." one-ups-manship is getting exhausting.  We could just cancel Plucker's because it sucks ass royally. 

We've lost so many great restaurants in Austin in the last few months, but people weep for Plucker's?  We should mourn Luby's and let this shithole go under.

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

While the game of "we care about injustice here at XYZ Corp." one-ups-manship is getting exhausting.  We could just cancel Plucker's because it sucks ass royally. 

We've lost so many great restaurants in Austin in the last few months, but people weep for Plucker's?  We should mourn Luby's and let this shithole go under.

Gagree 107% Lobo.

We park our cars in the same garage.

Full disclosure - I've never been to Pluckers, but love me a goddamned LuAnn Platter with red Jello!

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I've never walked into Pluckers and thought "Wow this is a real hot bed of people that wouldn't eat here if it came out that a co-founder was a republican"

This is funny and mostly true, but I don't think any restaurant can afford to alienate customers post-covid. Pluckers is free to donate politically as they choose just as diners are free not to patronize places that enable our toxic dope of a "leader". Freedom works both ways.

• Like 2

I always think “where the fuck did they bus all these mouth breathers in from?”
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Take your doxxing somewhere else please.

Shit's getting real old.

And spare me the, "You know what else is getting old?" clap back.  Take it to Reddit.

You know what else is getting old?

The country burning because of stupid greedy racist fucks!!!!!!

Had to do it. 

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

FIFY. You should have stopped at that point. Been to one location twice. Very overrated. But I will give them credit in that there was a line of people. Perhaps that set my expectations too high.

It's fine but my main knock is that it's overpriced. And now that I'm trying to get sober I'm not sure why I would go at all.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I was hired by Mark and Dave in 1999- to work at the original location as a delivery driver. I think they opened in 98, but they already had an expansion vision. Loved working there. Order whatever you want on shift for free. Ate for 1/2 price off the clock as long as you weren’t in your gear. I think I ate nothing but pluckers that entire summer. 

If it was ‘98 I was going right when they opened. My brother was a freshman and lived in towers and I would come and hang out some weekends and we’d always go to that original spot. 

Ate there weekly for a long time but as others have said it’s had a massive downfall in quality over the last 5 years. Last tome we went we waited 90 minutes for our food. It’s gotten to a point where you can’t get out of there for less than $20 a person for what equates to a fast food meal. 

47 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Actually, in America if you want change the way to get it to to attack the corporate masters of the politicians. Now some local Texas chicken wing guy isn't exactly the head of the snake, but start attacking the head of larger donor corporations, attacking their supply chain, etc. and consistent disruption of their revenue. Make the heads of corporate America feel fear for their lives and business and they'll start listening. 

Worked for coal miners almost 100 years ago and many other groups throughout American history. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's fine but my main knock is that it's overpriced. And now that I'm trying to get sober I'm not sure why I would go at all.

The only thing I've ever likes there is the fried pickle spears. Those are far superior to the pickle chips.

The last 4-5 times I've had to go there because the group I'm with wanted it I got a basket of pickle spears and some blue moon. Their chicken and sauces suck.

Also, about 3-4 years ago they had a promotion for a while where on every full moon night the large mugs of blue moon were $4. That got me there at the bar during a game a few times. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wanker Bob said:

The only thing I've ever likes there is the fried pickle spears. Those are far superior to the pickle chips.

The last 4-5 times I've had to go there because the group I'm with wanted it I got a basket of pickle spears and some blue moon. Their chicken and sauces suck.

Also, about 3-4 years ago they had a promotion for a while where on every full moon night the large mugs of blue moon were $4. That got me there at the bar during a game a few times. 

True. Their fried pickles are still the best in town. 

#TeamSpear

I'm glad others have noticed the drop in quality.  Last time I was there the wings were small, dry, and virtually flavor-free.  I couldn't figure out if my fonder memories of the place were just because I didn't know any better or if their wings had really cratered.

How hard is it to fuck up a batch of hot wings?  

31 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Lotta fat people in this thread defending pluckers

I'm thinking about never going to any place that put a black box up. If they have to tell me they aren't racist while also not giving their job to black man, I just can't trust them anymore.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

Leaving aside the donation, the part that stuck out to me is that they haven’t issued any statements of support. I’m not sure why that’s a thing anyway. I’m already tired of the boilerplate emails I’m getting from every company I’ve ever bought anything from ever telling me they’re against racism. Thanks for clearing that up, Best Buy CEO Corie Barry.

This vs Best Buy and Walmart “I’m sorry emails?”  

Sign me up

I’m on team fewer corporate statements on the latest global crisis. I really don’t need to know Exxon/Mobile’s public stance on COVID, police brutality, or June’s sharknado outbreak. 

It makes sense if they really step in it (the NFL) or if the current crisis is a particular focus (Sea World when the sharknadoes hit). I can also get behind cultural institutions such as schools and churches making statements as long as it’s just an opening to a more in-depth public conversation. I don’t see why GlaxoSmithKline needs to opine on race relations.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mole said:

I’m on team fewer corporate statements on the latest global crisis. I really don’t need to know Exxon/Mobile’s public stance on COVID, police brutality, or June’s sharknado outbreak. 

It makes sense if they really step in it (the NFL) or if the current crisis is a particular focus (Sea World when the sharknadoes hit). I can also get behind cultural institutions such as schools and churches making statements as long as it’s just an opening to a more in-depth public conversation. I don’t see why GlaxoSmithKline needs to opine on race relations.

my heart was gladdened to know that the 157,321 employees of academy sports and outdoors were there for me as coronavirus hit. 

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm glad others have noticed the drop in quality.  Last time I was there the wings were small, dry, and virtually flavor-free.  I couldn't figure out if my fonder memories of the place were just because I didn't know any better or if their wings had really cratered.

How hard is it to fuck up a batch of hot wings?  

quality control was always inconsistent at the first houston location.  only thing that never wavered was the fried pickles.  i think it has a lot to do with the split wait staff system they have, where the person taking your order and the person bringing your order are two different sets of people.  the bartender once took one look at the measly 4 potato chips that came out as a side and immediately got me a hot fresh batch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Thanks for letting me know. I don’t really eat meat anymore, but I’ll be sure and let everyone I know about them supporting the piece of shit squatting in the White House. 

there goes your social life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

original opened summer 95 i believe. i was roommates and pledge brothers with sean, and i painted the original mural on the wall and got free pluckers for a few months as payment. 

this development will be interesting to watch unfold...

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

original opened summer 95 i believe. i was roommates and pledge brothers with sean, and i painted the original mural on the wall and got free pluckers for a few months as payment. 

this development will be interesting to watch unfold...

ZBT was always among the more interesting houses on campus. SA Presidents, bank robbers, restaurant founders, Cowboys, Spurs, GGW people.

Always something.

Some of the most fun guys I knew lived a few doors down at Winchester.  South Texas jewboys (their own term) with a mounted deer over their fireplace wearing a prayer shawl.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Can I say this hits close to home if lives in my neighborhood?

Don't know shit about him, my younger son has played against one of his kids in various sports over the years. If he is a Trumper then he should deal with any outcome of that choice, not sure penalizing a bunch of cooks/waiters etc trying to make a living does that. (although I guess they can go somewhere else to work)

To be fair, a single, relatively small contribution four years ago can be categorized as a mistake.  Even if it was the max contribution to an individual candidate for that year.

Not like he kept it up or gave $25k or $250k to Trump PACs over the last several years to the present.

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Actually, in America if you want change the way to get it to to attack the corporate masters of the politicians. Now some local Texas chicken wing guy isn't exactly the head of the snake, but start attacking the head of larger donor corporations, attacking their supply chain, etc. and consistent disruption of their revenue. Make the heads of corporate America feel fear for their lives and business and they'll start listening. 

Worked for coal miners almost 100 years ago and many other groups throughout American history. 

I remember a very little bit of studying Benetton back in the day--their ads (United Colors of Benetton) in the early 90's stirred up a not small amount of controversy. One sees diversity in commercials now and it's welcome to me because it reflects the world around me. If getting a business owner to pay attention and enact change by letting them know I'll be shopping elsewhere is what it takes to motivate them, then that is one more weapon I am happy to use against the status quo. We changed banks after discovering how discriminatory our old one was so deciding where to shop or eat is actually even easier. It's not like the big box stores are all that different, and actually when it comes to restaurants we almost always avoid chains anyway. I like getting to know the owner(s) and employees that live and work in our community.