SWA seems to be having a rough go of it lately

Anastasis

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Same here.

I fucking hate turbulence, but as much as people get hyperbolic about it, it's generally going to be harmless unless you aren't buckled in.

There's a reason they urge you to leave your seatbelt on when seated.  This isn't that reason--the real reason is severe turbulance--but still . . . it's a practice that should always be followed.  

25 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

There's a reason they urge you to leave your seatbelt on when seated.  This isn't that reason--the real reason is severe turbulance--but still . . . it's a practice that should always be followed.  

Yup. Some people act like they're gonna get some kinda 5 minute warning before the sudden, unexpected turbulence hits. You know, the kind that bounces people off the ceiling. Then when the captain turns on the fasten-seat-belt sign, there's always one or two folks who act like it's just a suggestion or it's just being done to inconvenience them, so they go ahead and get up to go to the lavatory... 'cause you know, it doesn't apply to them.

And people who don't keep their kids strapped in, even just loosely ... well, they suck.

54 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

One of my co-workers is trying to become a pilot, and today tried to lecture us on how what the pilot did wasn't that impressive if you understand plane construction and are in the industry.

Only thing this idiot flies is simulatotors

The point junior bird man is missing is that pilots’ value isn’t about the average flying day. The gee whiz stuff makes flying pretty easy these days though the multi tasking in the terminal environment can be a load. The value is when an uncontained engine failure damages the wing, causes a loss cabin pressurization leading to passengers nearly being sucked out and an immediate and likely over weight, single engine divert. 

Or sim boy can continue to devalue the profession he’s barely dipped his toes into. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The point junior bird man is missing is that pilots’ value isn’t about the average flying day. The gee whiz stuff makes flying pretty easy these days though the multi tasking in the terminal environment can be a load. The value is when an uncontained engine failure damages the wing, causes a loss cabin pressurization leading to passengers nearly being sucked out and an immediate and likely over weight, single engine divert. 

Or sim boy can continue to devalue the profession he’s barely dipped his toes into. 

That's it.  Anyone with a modicum of training can take off, fly, and land a fully-functioning plane in bluebird weather.

That ain't what I want to pay my pilot for.  I want the SOB with icewater in his (or her) veins, who can make split-second decisions in a crisis, keep their cool the whole time, do complex math in their head while flying the plane so as to evaluate alternatives, and knows how to fly anything from a busted cropduster to a state-of-the-art Boeing.  In short, give me someone with military training, in most cases.

Give me this gal.  Give me Sully.  Give me the pilot of United 232 in Sioux City.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's it.  Anyone with a modicum of training can take off, fly, and land a fully-functioning plane in bluebird weather.

That ain't what I want to pay my pilot for.  I want the SOB with icewater in his (or her) veins, who can make split-second decisions in a crisis, keep their cool the whole time, do complex math in their head while flying the plane so as to evaluate alternatives, and knows how to fly anything from a busted cropduster to a state-of-the-art Boeing.  In short, give me someone with military training, in most cases.

Give me this gal.  Give me Sully.  Give me the pilot of United 232 in Sioux City.

SIAP:  This woman had been a FA-18 pilot and instructor in the USN

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Give me this gal.  Give me Sully.  Give me Randy Quaid the pilot of United 232 in Sioux City.

tumblr_o9qdf2nFVi1ue779no5_r1_400.gif

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

madmadworld_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Don't people say that oxygen masks don't do any good anyhow because there is only seconds of oxygen for the whole plane?

Woo:  I believe that in a depressurization event, you can survive for about 20 seconds before you need supplemental oxygen. 

I thought that there was a bottle of 02 above every seat?  Didn't one fall out of the ceiling of an  AA 777 the other day and bonk a kid on the noggin?

Edited by Gil Bang

Don't people say that oxygen masks don't do any good anyhow because there is only seconds of oxygen for the whole plane?
About 12 minutes depending upon the anxiety/respiration rate of your row. Each passenger service unit above you has a O2 generator for your row. But yes, the actual mask is a joke and is diluted with cabin air because there are holes in the mask.

12 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
23 minutes ago, woohorn said:

About 12 minutes depending upon the anxiety/respiration rate of your row. Each passenger service unit above you has a O2 generator for your row. But yes, the actual mask is a joke and is diluted with cabin air because there are holes in the mask.

Well then shed some altitude Mr Big Shot Captain.

Of course if you are too high up it probably don't make a shit.

So, for cabin depressurization at 32k feet, there's about a 10psi differential between inside and outside.  I guess there's also a venturi effect with a smallish orifice.  But the differential would also seem to equalize very rapidly.  What's the mechanism here?

I see that the real potential for injury is lung damage from the inability of the lungs to vent.

Online sources seem to indicate that getting sucked out is a myth.

Edited by TwiceHorn

16 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

So, for cabin depressurization at 32k feet, there's about a 10psi differential between inside and outside.  I guess there's also a venturi effect with a smallish orifice.  But the differential would also seem to equalize very rapidly.  What's the mechanism here?

I see that the real potential for injury is lung damage from the inability of the lungs to vent.

Your mom had a smallish orifice.

Had. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Instagram, @abourman wrote the post above. “Our engine that blew out at 38000 ft. A window blew out, a man saved us all as he jumped to cover the window. … The pilot, Tammy Jo was so amazing! She landed us safely in Philly.”

Props to that dude too.  Did he stick his ass in the window? 

Edited by Mojo Hand

52 minutes ago, elfenix said:

PLANE-CRASH-_0026_Layer-2.jpg

Do you even Asiana driver bro?

52 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Woo:  I believe that in a depressurization event, you can survive for about 20 seconds before you need supplemental oxygen. 

I thought that there was a bottle of 02 above every seat?  Didn't one fall out of the ceiling of an  AA 777 the other day and bonk a kid on the noggin?

It’s an oxygen generator. Pulling on the mask starts the chemical reaction creating O2 and heat. 

29 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Getting sucked out isn’t a myth. I recall a BA pilot was sucked partially out of his flight deck at altitude after a mechanic reinstalled the window during maintenance with improper screws.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Do you even Asiana driver bro?

It’s an oxygen generator. Pulling on the mask starts the chemical reaction creating O2 and heat. 

Getting sucked out isn’t a myth. I recall a BA pilot was sucked partially out of his flight deck at altitude after a mechanic reinstalled the window during maintenance with improper screws.  

that was the craziest fuckin aviation story ever.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Have heard that's the big issue facing the aviation industry -- a lack of pilots sliding over from active military flying and the advancing age of the current crop of military vet commercial airline pilots. They're gonna retire sometime. These are the guys that can handle a true emergency, not the booger-eater co-worker above who learns on simulators and never has to fly and land under duress.