Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

11 hours ago, Chooky said:

I haven't been to the Whitney Plantation, but we did visit the Oak Alley Plantation outside of New Orleans.  Let's just say that Oak Alley seems to take a drastically different approach to their tours than the Whitney.  It was mainly a celebratory and romanticized homage to the owners, the Roman family.  I'd like to think that was based on the personality of our tour guide.  But probably not.  They book fucking weddings.  People have weddings at the Oak Alley Plantation.  White people.

. . . and the first structures you see (after the ticketing building) are the rows of slave quarters.  I'm surprised they don't rent those out for overnight stays, too.

"Experience an authentic slave cabin, but with all the modern amenities to which you are accustomed!  Each cabin features period correct furnishings, including a king-sized iron bed, a free-standing clawfoot jetted tub, and a gas fireplace.  Complimentary charcuterie board and Prosecco on arrival.  Free wifi and Keurig coffee maker with a variety of coffee roasts and teas.  Relax and enjoy the full Oak Alley experience!"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Yea. I'll rep Chooky's post but I wish we had a head smack icon. I also miss the Thanks icon which was good for people providing information new to me.

I wonder if those who scorn warriors for social justice and the woke will go out of their way to promote the nostalgic lies of the Old South while secretly embracing the South's real history. 

Let me tell you why the Civil War of Northern Aggression wasn't about slavery so I can carry on using their symbols of racism with pride and malice.

I return to the notions many young Texans including myself have about seccession and a new Republlic of Texas. We mostly grow out of it. If we continue with Abbott or worse, I'll again think of the advantages of Texas leaving the Union and me moving to the USA. Texas would make a first-rate shithole banana republic, and their electoral votes and elected representatives would no long contaminate the rest of the country.

We were so much better as a conservative Democratic state.

Fuck all these guys.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6

On 5/30/2021 at 7:34 AM, pyrohornIII said:

Thanks for this.  My son and I are about to make a two week run to ATL and back, hitting Jackson, Montgomery, Selma and New Orleans along the way.   Bit multi theme with civil rights and music being the bigger items.  Any suggestions like this will be appreciated.    

Canecutter hometown. Let me know how long you plan to be there, and what you like to do. I may know some places that never made it into the Googles.

On 5/31/2021 at 5:31 PM, Js1 said:
*sid miller tweet about Abbot*
On 5/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, Lobo said:

Well, I finally figured out why Governor Abbott has gone so batshit, hard-core right-wing in the last year. 

Abbott versus Allen West, Huffhines, and Sid Miller in a four-way primary?  

Four guys, three of them to the right of Abbott?  Mathematically speaking, nobody is gonna top 50%.  

On 5/31/2021 at 9:03 PM, StassneyHorn said:

Sid Miller and Lt Col West are gonna do something fucky and I’m all in for it to happen. Piggybacking each other into hypothetical runoffs to replace Abbott and Patrick would be a chefs kiss.

Sid Miller, Allen West, Huffhines, are all shitting themselves right now.

Where do Miller, West, and Huffhines go from here?  They were all jockeying for Trump's support, and they lost it.

Miller has to tread carefully now that he put himself in Abbott's crosshairs.

West had better be careful how he leads the state GOP, because if he says any more bad stuff about Abbott, he'll be speaking out against Trump's preferred candidate.

Huffhines is finished.

Really did not see Abbott getting Trump's approval, but maybe his support for Trump after last November did it.

Guest Lobo

i knew he'd get his rubber stamp eventually, but after another special session, six months of more pandering, and letting Miller or Huffhines do something to blow up their own chances anyway (besides just being who they are as humans).  But wow, 4-6 months ahead of schedule.  Okay. 

I guess we'll watch to see where Abbott goes from here, maybe not totally go batshit crazy, come from the ledge a bit, and try to remember who you have to live among and work with everyday.  Hint---not Trump.  

This gonna be weird. 

5 minutes ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

What’s to keep Trump from retracting his endorsement on a whim?

That was my first thought.  I don’t see how the endorsement of a capricious toddler really changes anyone’s strategy.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chewy's Hairy Horn said:

What’s to keep Trump from retracting his endorsement on a whim?

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

That was my first thought.  I don’t see how the endorsement of a capricious toddler really changes anyone’s strategy.  

Nothing keeps him from retracting it, but it's massive from a fundraising point of view this early in the race.

West, Miller, Huffhines have all pushed themselves as being among Trump's chosen, with Abbott being the anti-Trumper.

That's been flipped and now they have to back way off in their attacks, which, again, helps Abbott.

West, in particularly, has been using his position as chairman of the state GOP to hammer away at Abbott as somebody who was against Trump.  Now that the leader of the national GOP has spoken, West risks pissing off the Trumpers in the organization he leads.  West needs to hold onto that position, since his actual election track record is shitty.  Losing his position as chairman of the state GOP would completely end his political career (even though Florida should have done it).

Like Lobo said, this is going to be weird, and was way ahead of schedule, since a lot of us thought nothing would happen until closer to the primaries.

Hey @Lobo does Abbott go after any of those three now?  I'd think Miller had better watch his back and come out and kiss the ring.  How much influence does Abbott have on the state GOP?

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

lol, how far Texas has fallen. our "esteemed" governor licking the boots of a man who is swatting away subpoenas like they're mosquitos. you hitched your horse to the wrong wagon - again

And he'll win by a landslide in Texas, because Texas gonna Texas.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

And he'll win by a landslide in Texas, because Texas gonna Texas.

Personally I think trump not being on the ballot in 2022 is not being given enough consideration. Especially after an insurrection at the capitol, the Texas republicans going full open carry/small dick, and essentially outlawing abortion in Texas . The soccer moms in grapevine are not gonna like any of that crap. Trumps low propensity voters won’t turn out in 2022 like they did in 2020 and the soccer moms/coastal transplants are gone make the race closer than you think. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Personally I think trump not being on the ballot in 2022 is not being given enough consideration. Especially after an insurrection at the capitol, the Texas republicans going full open carry/small dick, and essentially outlawing abortion in Texas . The soccer moms in grapevine are not gonna like any of that crap. Trumps low propensity voters won’t turn out in 2022 like they did in 2020 and the soccer moms/coastal transplants are gone make the race closer than you think. 

Sure, but do the Texas Dems have a credible candidate to run?  Besides allegedly MM, who I don't think will run.  

Beto seems to be keeping his powder dry for a rematch with Ted in 2024, though he is going on the road in Texas re: voting rights soon.  

You think suburban soccer moms who aren’t already left leaning give two shits about any of that stuff? Hell, I bet they even cheer for the abortion bill.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Sure, but do the Texas Dems have a credible candidate to run?  Besides allegedly MM, who I don't think will run.  

Beto seems to be keeping his powder dry for a rematch with Ted in 2024, though he is going on the road in Texas re: voting rights soon.  

Dunno. But if it’s not beto or MM they need to find one. 

1 minute ago, bluto said:

You think suburban soccer moms who aren’t already left leaning give two shits about any of that stuff? Hell, I bet they even cheer for the abortion bill.

It’s all about the margins. It motivates the left leaning ones to actually turn out and the centrists to vote dem. 

3 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

Uh... who’s to say MM is a Democrat?

If he runs as an independent, he's just handing the race to Abbott without so much as a fight.   2006 called, it wants its gubernatorial race back.

Perry - 39.4
Bell - 29.8
Indies - 30.5

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

what a scared little bitch.

Yep, West, Miller, and Huffhines have him running a bit scared, particularly West.

Really am fascinated to see how this plays out.  Does West suck it up and support Abbott with the Texas GOP?  Because the farther away we get from 2020, the less West can capitalize on the Trump fandom.  West is probably trying to figure out what other spots he can run for.

Abbott is definitely scared of the other three, and he's probably doing a decent job of undercutting their fundraising.

But it's odd that it's happening so early, even if it benefits him in terms of fundraising.

Either he is playing up Trump's support as something more than it is, or Trump sees some kind of benefit of having Abbott in his pocket, financial or otherwise.

I can't imagine that anyone with integrity or character would even accept an endorsement from Trump. An infamous liar and demagogue, twice impeached, who urged on a mob to subvert the U.S. Constitution and the democratic process. A man with no humility, compassion, or even loyalty to anyone besides himself. If you separated Trump from his wealth and power, and he had to be judged solely on his character, would anyone even want to be his friend?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

I can't imagine that anyone with integrity or character would even accept an endorsement from Trump. An infamous liar and demagogue, twice impeached, who urged on a mob to subvert the U.S. Constitution and the democratic process. A man with no humility, compassion, or even loyalty to anyone besides himself. If you separated Trump from his wealth and power, and he had to be judged solely on his character, would anyone even want to be his friend?

Abbott only cares about winning.  In the general election, he doesn't need the endorsement (and it may even hurt him a few points).

But he needs Trump's endorsement to win his primary, because the primaries usually have low enough turnout that something like Trump's endorsement could swing them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott only cares about winning.  In the general election, he doesn't need the endorsement (and it may even hurt him a few points).

But he needs Trump's endorsement to win his primary, because the primaries usually have low enough turnout that something like Trump's endorsement could swing them.

I agree with this...if it sticks.  

I can’t decide if it’s cowardice or self-awareness on the part of Abbott.  I don’t really see the end game here-you do two-three terms as governor and then what?  He ain’t doing Dancing with the Stars....

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

I agree with this...if it sticks.  

I can’t decide if it’s cowardice or self-awareness on the part of Abbott.  I don’t really see the end game here-you do two-three terms as governor and then what?  He ain’t doing Dancing with the Stars....

Oh he’ll throw his hat in for 2024 if Trump doesn’t run. If Trump runs, he’ll be slap fighting DeSantis for who gets to blow Trump, I mean be VP, like a couple of cheap whores

Edited by Js1