Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

11 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Isn't it possible that ... maybe he didn't actually sign?

(For the zillions of instances when people throw around the expression Occam's Razor, I think this is an instance where that actually is apt.  Either - 

1)  He didn't sign, or

2) He did sign, and nobody is letting OU know, and they have no way of confirming it, or they know he did, but hope the school didn't send it in?? (I wouldn't believe that for a second), or .....

Of the two, 1) requires the fewest assumptions.)

Well that would require IT to be breathtakingly overconfident about a recruit and no, ok, I see where you're coming from here.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well that would require IT to be breathtakingly overconfident about a recruit and no, ok, I see where you're coming from here.

It's not just IT, every 9.95er is basically acting like it's done. OB and TFB have said as much. Think about their coverage of this. The number one offensive line prospect in the country would be fantastic click potential, yet not one story on any trips, conversations, updates or where do we stand articles since NSD1. Not only us, but also other teams 9.95ers. It's just crickets.

It's not just IT, every 9.95er is basically acting like it's done. OB and TFB have said as much. Think about their coverage of this. The number one offensive line prospect in the country would be fantastic click potential, yet not one story on any trips, conversations, updates or where do we stand articles since NSD1. Not only us, but also other teams 9.95ers. It's just crickets.

Some would say they’re taking Campbell for granted.
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

OU's 9.95's have said that the Sooners needed to get Campbell back up to Norman to have a shot. Most likely, didn't sign (?why not, but who cares), but has told everyone he's going to UT.

I guess it doesn't really matter because the NCAA isn't doing anything, but in theory how is it supposed to work when you sign an NLI and it's secret?  Is their a database other schools have access to to know who has signed that they can't recruit, or do just have to take the kid's word assuming he tells them? 

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I guess it doesn't really matter because the NCAA isn't doing anything, but in theory how is it supposed to work when you sign an NLI and it's secret?  Is their a database other schools have access to to know who has signed that they can't recruit, or do just have to take the kid's word assuming he tells them? 

You file the NIL with your conference.  According to a pdf on the NIL website - any coaches who wish to recruit/communicate with a player should first inquire with their compliance office about whether or not the player has signed an NLI - even if the communication in instigated by the student-athlete.  Compliance office must have access to a database of all student athletes who have signed NLI.

Coaches at other schools are allowed to watch players games and and have brief interactions with a player after they sign their NLI - but they can not have any recruiting related conversations.  All interactions with the student-athlete are to be 'brief'.

Although unlikely - it is possible that Campbell signed his NLI but that OU is still 'recruiting' him - so long as they are not having conversations that could be reported.  With the one-time free transfer its not out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

This sort of happened with Tristan Leigh a year or two ago.  He signed with Clemson and dragged OU and a few others through the next month or two, potentially exposing them to a violation.  Consensus at the time was that if it's the player misleading, the institutions aren't responsible.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Getafix said:

Isn't it possible that ... maybe he didn't actually sign?

(For the zillions of instances when people throw around the expression Occam's Razor, I think this is an instance where that actually is apt.  Either - 

1)  He didn't sign, or

2) He did sign, and nobody is letting OU know, and they have no way of confirming it, or they know he did, but hope the school didn't send it in?? (I wouldn't believe that for a second), or .....

Of the two, 1) requires the fewest assumptions.)

Yeah it sure doesn't seem like he signed. OU coaches have been to his bball game two weeks in a row.

Interestingly all the recent CBs for him on 247, On3, and Rivals came on 12/11 or 12/13. So I'm guessing he gave us a silent then. Seemed like there were a lot of hints that he might sign NSD 1 at that point but then he said he wasn't going to. So maybe OU convinced him to hold off on signing. My guess is that he's still a silent commit but hasn't signed.

Possible counterpoint: has there been any news of our coaches visiting him since NSD 1? If he hasn't signed yet, you'd think they'd still be working hard on that one. Then again, overconfidence...

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night regarding Campbell:

Spoiler

— Devon Campbell laced up his sneakers tonight and played a physical brand of basketball in the paint for Arlington Bowie in a 70-39 victory over Arlington Sam Houston. The five-star prospect did it in front of Oklahoma assistants Bill Bedenbaugh, Jay Valai and Todd Bates. The Sooners are pushing for the elite offensive lineman and have been out to his last two games to show it. Oklahoma has been able to do a good job despite their massive staff turnover and a large part of that was retaining Bedenbaugh. If Oklahoma is going to win this recruitment, it will be on the shoulders of their offensive line coach who Campbell regards for his development ability.

— Kyle Flood will be in town tomorrow to see Campbell and a bunch of 2023 offensive line targets in Dallas. Texas is still very much in the race for Campbell as well and have led for most of the recruitment. I talked to a source tonight who told me that in the late fall, he felt Oklahoma was surging in the recruitment, but Texas has always been the constant since offering him early on in his sophomore year. Texas has established the best relationship and has a fit with immediate playing time.

— I've said all along that I believe this to be much like the Alfred Collins recruitment. Texas led for so long and outlasted a Oklahoma surge to get the five-star in February. I've had a Crystal Ball in for Texas since April of 2020 with an 8 confidence level. For those of you that follow my Crystal Ball habits, 8 is about as strong as I will go on a kid. After talking with sources and considering everything I know, I'm sticking with the pick and that confidence level. I believe that in the end, those long-term ties will win out for the Longhorns.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I heard that there's not much buzz about anyone besides Campbell at the HS level for this second signing day. The premise that Campbell would go elsewhere was completely dismissed, and by someone who can spot something to consider a risk around every corner.

ATM's worked the dads hard in this go-round, including leaping past handlers and trainers. It worked and even caught the usual auction participants off guard. They've bought the moms or dads before, but with less dough and in coordination with the less loyal trainers. This is also likely the case with Jacoby Matthews, who is one of a group of signees that made it clear that they didn't want to go to ATM and the parents ended up convincing them with absolute certainty that that was where they were signing. 

Perkins is doing what is obvious to us, nothing more. 

If Texas wants the Moody guy, they can take him. There's a lot of "confidence" in filling any remaining holes with folks announcing transfers this spring before May 1. Mathis is also a "done deal". 

After so much "confidence" and so many "done deals", any reader of this post should understand that I have none of that and am merely passing on some thoughts for discussion and info from people who know their shit and also knows that this stuff is "fluid", even if the staff still thinks it's coaching at Alabama or something.

Well none of this amazing news makes me feel good. I hope you're happy. 

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Hopefully he's better than the last guy

Seems like there are some similarities in the take. Bring in some special teams and culture at minimum. Moody seems like a higher chance of contributing regularly on defense though considering he was 2nd string at Bama and Davis was buried further down iirc.

41 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I heard that there's not much buzz about anyone besides Campbell at the HS level for this second signing day. The premise that Campbell would go elsewhere was completely dismissed, and by someone who can spot something to consider a risk around every corner.

ATM's worked the dads hard in this go-round, including leaping past handlers and trainers. It worked and even caught the usual auction participants off guard. They've bought the moms or dads before, but with less dough and in coordination with the less loyal trainers. This is also likely the case with Jacoby Matthews, who is one of a group of signees that made it clear that they didn't want to go to ATM and the parents ended up convincing them with absolute certainty that that was where they were signing. 

Perkins is doing what is obvious to us, nothing more. 

If Texas wants the Moody guy, they can take him. There's a lot of "confidence" in filling any remaining holes with folks announcing transfers this spring before May 1. Mathis is also a "done deal". 

After so much "confidence" and so many "done deals", any reader of this post should understand that I have none of that and am merely passing on some thoughts for discussion and info from people who know their shit and also knows that this stuff is "fluid", even if the staff still thinks it's coaching at Alabama or something.

That's understandable. Not sure the numbers would work with him anyway.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

2021 Texas football fucking sucked.

I wat he’d almost every single game of the Charlie String era, except for the Kansas game. 

I gave up on watching this team after Baylor. Our defense was so hapless and showed no sign of aggression or even caring. It was brutal. Good thing we ran back the entire defensive coaching staff, though! 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Fong:  Jaylen Moody

Fired in a 247Sports Crystal Ball for Texas to land former Alabama linebacker Jaylen Moody out of the Transfer Portal after talking to a source with knowledge of the situation. Sounds like this could be done in the next day or two.

BamaOnLine’s Charlie Potter had the story on Jan. 13 that Moody entered the portal.

Moody played in all 15 games this season as a reserve inside linebacker and special teams contributor in helping the Tide return to the National Title game. He registered 15 tackles throughout the season and an interception in the season opener against Miami. A native of Conway, S.C., Moody appeared in 55 games over his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, recording 44 career tackles. He will have one year of eligibility left.

The Longhorns have already landed three this cycle form the portal in quarterback Quinn Ewers, defensive back Ryan Watts and tight end Jahleel Billingsley.

Moody was a late riser in the 2018 recruiting class and chose the Crimson Tide over Arkansas, Ole Miss and Clemson.

Last week Bama 247

Alabama linebacker Jaylen Moody entered the transfer portal Thursday, BamaOnLine has learned. He is the Crimson Tide's sixth scholarship player to do so since the CFP title game.

Moody played in all 15 games this season as a reserve inside linebacker and special teams contributor. He registered 15 tackles throughout the season and an interception in the season opener against Miami. A native of Conway, S.C., Moody appeared in 55 games over his four seasons in Tuscaloosa, recording 44 career tackles. He will have one year of eligibility left. 

Moody spent the 2021 season as Alabama's top backup at inside linebacker behind starters Henry To'o To'o and Christian Harris. Both of those players can return, although they have NFL draft decisions to make before Monday, but the Crimson Tide also returns Deontae Lawson, Shane Lee, Demouy Kennedy, Kendrick Blackshire and Ian Jackson for the 2022 season.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wat he’d almost every single game of the Charlie String era, except for the Kansas game. 

I gave up on watching this team after Baylor. Our defense was so hapless and showed no sign of aggression or even caring. It was brutal. Good thing we ran back the entire defensive coaching staff, though! 

And brought back super seniors who love to loaf!

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting