2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

38 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, Sark is having a tough time recruiting here because of last year's on season performance and just because our admin makes it tough to recruit here. He, and whatever the NIL deals CTJ put in place, helped Texas at least put together its best class in a very, very long time.

I don't think a top 5 class with tons of OL and DL recruits, the #1 portal QB, #1 portal TE, #3 portal WR, etc. is evidence that Sark is having a tough time recruiting.

Obviously last year's shitty record isn't helping, but all things considered recruiting is about all that's going right for Texas right now. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I dunno. He could be a stand up guy and not have Jordan Addison on his team, or he could be a piece of shit and have Jordan Addison on his team. I think I know which one I’d prefer at this point. 

This shit isn’t for the faint of heart anymore. USC boosters saw Pitt with their throat unprotected, looked down and felt the knife in their hand, and realized that all they had to do was do what killers do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

I don't think a top 5 class with tons of OL and DL recruits, the #1 portal QB, #1 portal TE, #3 portal WR, etc. is evidence that Sark is having a tough time recruiting.

Obviously last year's shitty record isn't helping, but all things considered recruiting is about all that's going right for Texas right now. 

Top 5 class means nothing to me. I look at the players as well as how many elite athletes in the top 100 nationally. How many near 5 stars? In most years, Texas, with the help of fake evaluators, land a bunch of middle of the road 4-star recruits who are way overrated. There are not 400 recruits worthy of a 4-star ranking. I doubt there's really 200 kids worthy of it. This leads to the perception of a great class ranked in the top 10. It usually isn't accurate at Texas.

This class was the best we've had in a long time. It is top 10 worthy, but will need for Sark to hit on evaluations at an elite rate. Evaluations, aka predictions, are not something that most humans are good at.

How many first targets did Texas land in the high school ranks? We landed ONE top 100 player in the country that wasn't an offensive lineman bought by the NIL (and that NIL is going to have to go way, way up to keep up in the future). That player, Terrance Brooks, who I do think is going to be a very good player, has very slow track times. This is much harder to research now after COVID, so I could be wrong. But that is a trend at Texas. A bunch of slow players. Many times they lack other qualities as well. That is not the case here. He does have length, hip flexibility, good reactionary time, and a bunch of other stuff you like to see. Biggest thing is he is very young for his age, so he may have gotten faster.

Three total top 100 recruits isn't going to cut it.

We landed ZERO top 10 players in the state of Texas outside of that offensive line.

We landed SIXTEEN recruits ranked 275 or lower. That's not going to cut it at a blueblood in the long term. You can get lucky once or twice but not long term.

We did better out of state than many years, but even that needs to be much better.

This is supposed to be a blueblood program.

The defensive side, top to bottom, wasn't up to par. In fact, it is severely lacking for a blueblood. Could be some great evolutions in there though. But you just can't sustain that year to year at a blueblood. You have to land the elite studs.

Wide receiver struggled and was saved by the portal. The QB, if he can develop, will be a huge plus and could even bring a Big 12 title before he leaves here. It still comes back to sustainability. There has to be a foundation of stuff where you go, yeah, the way we recruited that class will work every year. Instead, without the admins help, we are a mess every year. It's way too much of a rollercoaster and gimmicky than it should be at a blueblood. And we usually end up with an entire class of so-called 4-stars ranked 250 and lower in the so-called evaluators online lists. It happens so regularly for 2 reasons:

1. We get way too many leftover scraps after the other bluebloods pay for who they want. 

2. The recruiting services need to make money and there is no better way to make money than to keep the largest, richest fan base in America engaged in your service.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

Top 5 class means nothing to me. I look at the players as well as how many elite athletes in the top 100 nationally. How many near 5 stars? In most years, Texas, with the help of fake evaluators, land a bunch of middle of the road 4-star recruits who are way overrated. There are not 400 recruits worthy of a 4-star ranking. I doubt there's really 200 kids worthy of it. This leads to the perception of a great class ranked in the top 10. It usually isn't accurate at Texas.

This class was the best we've had in a long time. It is top 10 worthy, but will need for Sark to hit on evaluations at an elite rate. Evaluations, aka predictions, are not something that most humans are good at.

How many first targets did Texas land in the high school ranks? We landed ONE top 100 player in the country that wasn't an offensive lineman bought by the NIL (and that NIL is going to have to go way, way up to keep up in the future). That player, Terrance Brooks, who I do think is going to be a very good player, has very slow track times. This is much harder to research now after COVID, so I could be wrong. But that is a trend at Texas. A bunch of slow players. Many times they lack other qualities as well. That is not the case here. He does have length, hip flexibility, good reactionary time, and a bunch of other stuff you like to see. Biggest thing is he is very young for his age, so he may have gotten faster.

Three total top 100 recruits isn't going to cut it.

We landed ZERO top 10 players in the state of Texas outside of that offensive line.

We landed SIXTEEN recruits ranked 275 or lower. That's not going to cut it at a blueblood in the long term. You can get lucky once or twice but not long term.

We did better out of state than many years, but even that needs to be much better.

This is supposed to be a blueblood program.

The defensive side, top to bottom, wasn't up to par. In fact, it is severely lacking for a blueblood. Could be some great evolutions in there though. But you just can't sustain that year to year at a blueblood. You have to land the elite studs.

Wide receiver struggled and was saved by the portal. The QB, if he can develop, will be a huge plus and could even bring a Big 12 title before he leaves here. It still comes back to sustainability. There has to be a foundation of stuff where you go, yeah, the way we recruited that class will work every year. Instead, without the admins help, we are a mess every year. It's way too much of a rollercoaster and gimmicky than it should be at a blueblood. And we usually end up with an entire class of so-called 4-stars ranked 250 and lower in the so-called evaluators online lists. It happens so regularly for 2 reasons:

1. We get way too many leftover scraps after the other bluebloods pay for who they want. 

2. The recruiting services need to make money and there is no better way to make money than to keep the largest, richest fan base in America engaged in your service.

We landed multiple top 100 players in the country who weren’t o-line if you go by the ON3 rankings: Brooks, BJ Allen, Kris Ross, Brenen Thompson, Jaray Bledsoe. So add in the OL and we had 9 top 100 players. You have to filter out ESPN and rivals when looking at rankings if you want any actual indication of a kids proper ranking. We signed 4 defensive players ranked in the top 100 in the country so saying it wasn’t up to par seems kinda harsh.

I am one of the first people to admit that we’ve had some weak top 10 classes in the past full of bread, but the 2022 class is far from that. We loaded up with blue chippers on both sides of the line of scrimmage at a rate we’ve never done. We added two guys late to the class who had absolutely monster senior years that shot them up the rankings pretty much everywhere (Burke and Cam Williams). I’m sure some guys in the class will flame out and be non contributors but if you judge a class by how many top 100 players we get (like you said in your first paragraph), I don’t know how you can’t be anything but excited about what is coming in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We landed multiple top 100 players in the country who weren’t o-line if you go by the ON3 rankings: Brooks, BJ Allen, Kris Ross, Brenen Thompson, Jaray Bledsoe. So add in the OL and we had 9 top 100 players. You have to filter out ESPN and rivals when looking at rankings if you want any actual indication of a kids proper ranking. We signed 4 defensive players ranked in the top 100 in the country so saying it wasn’t up to par seems kinda harsh.

I am one of the first people to admit that we’ve had some weak top 10 classes in the past full of bread, but the 2022 class is far from that. We loaded up with blue chippers on both sides of the line of scrimmage at a rate we’ve never done. We added two guys late to the class who had absolutely monster senior years that shot them up the rankings pretty much everywhere (Burke and Cam Williams). I’m sure some guys in the class will flame out and be non contributors but if you judge a class by how many top 100 players we get (like you said in your first paragraph), I don’t know how you can’t be anything but excited about what is coming in. 

Absolutely, this class isn't a representative of most of our previous overrated classes. Like I said, it is top 10 worthy.

I love Brooks, but I would like an updated 40 time. I'm haunted by how many times we've recruited slow players who never had a chance at this level despite high rankings. Like I said, I love everything else about him. His track times haven't been updated. He's also very young for his grade. That helps. 

I love Ross and Bledsoe. Bledsoe had a lot of things going on off the field and I'm just not sure he deserves such a ranking. He could end up being the best player in the class. But I feel like a top 100 player should have very few question marks.

BJ Allen is a downhill safety in a different era that demands a lot more. But I do think he fits PK's system. Will PK still be here in a year?

I love Thompson's speed! Something Texas usually lacks on the recruiting trail. My question is the level of competition and the fact I don't see anything on tape that screams every down receiver. That doesn't mean he is not an every down receiver. I think Sark's the perfect coach to get him there. But there are question marks for a so-called top 100 player. He was definitely a take though.

We need to land more kids that you look at and go, yeah, that kid is probably gonna be an all conference player for us. I don't see any question marks. And if you don't see any question marks, you're still going to be wrong a lot. That's recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Dude, keep it to Twitter length replies or ain't nobody gonna read anything you post. 

I don't care if you read it or not. I'm tired of losing.. I'm tired of listening to everyone scream and yell and put blame on the wrong suspects. I'm tired of hearing about our great recruiting classes (minus this past year) when it is full of fucking bread. Kids who can't run. Kids who aren't talented.

These kids give it their all. The coaches succeed elsewhere and can't win here. There's only one constant over the years and they never take any of the blame. If you mention them, the cronies try to run you off. I really don't give AF anymore. It's not like I post everyday like the rest of you. I'll be gone in short order. 

I'm speaking to the casual fan out there who thinks it's all the coaches fault. Pick up the phone, call and voice your displeasure to this admin. It's not all on the coaches.

It's time Texas look in the mirror. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

The point of NIL was to compensate them for their name, image, and likeness market value, not for their value to the football team.  Though in some cases it does correlate, in others it will not.

The entire point was to allow students to maximize their value they have created in their own local market and we have now bastardized it into a form of a free agency period. Part of this is due to the free transfers tied to COVID and part is due to the blatant tampering occurring across all NCAA sports.

I have embraced the idea of trying to maximize whatever we can due to my allegiance to the university, but that does not mean I can't see how this will eventually have tremendous consequences to college athletics.

We are rapidly straying into unintended consequences land, and in many ways, things may become worse for the common everyday player if we continue to treat NIL as an acquisition cost and not a reward for performance at school.

while I agree with your premise here, anyone who thought the "NIL" rules were gonna matter as a control mechanism was living in a dream world.  we have already jumped the shark. this was never going to be about their marketing value for selling/marketing sunflower seeds on their twitter.   they were trying to compare it to the physics major who can get a nice paid internship.  "why can't the football player make some money based on what he is good at?"

the aggy/smu's of the world were doing it when there was an actual threat of death penalty or severe sanctions.  you think opening the door wide with some NIL bullshit rules was gonna make them decide to follow them given the NCAA is completely toothless?  laughable.

You combine the unlimited free agency with this and here we are.  I say go all the fucking way.  no restrictions on movement at all.  transfer mid season and start playing for your new team. burn it all to the ground. 

the only way to win big will be to have a "payroll to meet".

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

NIL is specifically not a salary or pay for play. This is why some of us who have done things in the NIL arena are pissed about how all this is going down. 

I'll just assume that as one of the people involved in this fiasco, you feel obligated to pretend to be surprised. Because you would either have to be as naive as a homeschooled virgin or incredibly fucking stupid to not see exactly how this was going to go. Nobody I know is even remotely surprised.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

The point of NIL was to compensate them for their name, image, and likeness market value, not for their value to the football team.  Though in some cases it does correlate, in others it will not.

The entire point was to allow students to maximize their value they have created in their own local market and we have now bastardized it into a form of a free agency period. Part of this is due to the free transfers tied to COVID and part is due to the blatant tampering occurring across all NCAA sports.

I have embraced the idea of trying to maximize whatever we can due to my allegiance to the university, but that does not mean I can't see how this will eventually have tremendous consequences to college athletics.

We are rapidly straying into unintended consequences land, and in many ways, things may become worse for the common everyday player if we continue to treat NIL as an acquisition cost and not a reward for performance at school.

11 hours ago, immamac said:

As others have told you - NIL has nothing to do with on field performance and they are being conflated to the point where they are the same. 

Endorsement value vs salary value. Some players are worth big endorsement dollars (sometimes even more than salary) others are only worth salary and are untouchable from endorsements. 

I appreciate all the work folks on here have done with NIL and y’all have done an amazing job making it all above board. 
But while what you say is technically true, NIL is just the mid-point of a long and continuously developing line of case law wherein the Supreme Court has been finding the NCAA system to be illegal, so it really doesn’t matter what the Texas statute says about NIL, because if challenged in court, the outcome is likely that punishing players and schools for paying players a salary is illegal. This is why the NCAA isn’t even trying to enforce any of this. They’ve been beaten down by the courts at every turn, and it’s silly to look at NIL as such a strict set of rules that it can only be for a player’s legitimate endorsement value.

The reality is that paying players their market value as a football player will not be punished, so programs can either adapt to this reality or clutch their pearls and say the teams that win didn’t do it by the exact letter of the law. I know which side I’d rather have my team be on. 

• Hook 'Em 7

Agree with @notre dame joe that this is one way to slow down the transfer problems that are now really hurting CFB. 

ND Joe:   "I think reinstating an ironclad sit out for 1 year rule would stop it cold.  None of these newly minted athletic supporters is for pay to wait.

(Still like grad transfers having immediate eligibility when they transfer though.)

• Hook 'Em 6

27 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree with @notre dame joe that this is one way to slow down the transfer problems that are now really hurting CFB. 

ND Joe:   "I think reinstating an ironclad sit out for 1 year rule would stop it cold.  None of these newly minted athletic supporters is for pay to wait.

(Still like grad transfers having immediate eligibility when they transfer though.)

To add to it, I'm ok putting in clauses similar to redshirting where if you play less than x games or plays you are eligible to transfer without eligibility loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

NIL and “NIL” were always gonna be used to entice recruits and apparently current players to attend a school.

I underestimated how far people would take it, but I understand how much people are influenced by money. Shit, it’s why most people play/coach. Why wait for a chance to get it in college/NFL if you can get it now?

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I appreciate all the work folks on here have done with NIL and y’all have done an amazing job making it all above board. 
But while what you say is technically true, NIL is just the mid-point of a long and continuously developing line of case law wherein the Supreme Court has been finding the NCAA system to be illegal, so it really doesn’t matter what the Texas statute says about NIL, because if challenged in court, the outcome is likely that punishing players and schools for paying players a salary is illegal. This is why the NCAA isn’t even trying to enforce any of this. They’ve been beaten down by the courts at every turn, and it’s silly to look at NIL as such a strict set of rules that it can only be for a player’s legitimate endorsement value.

The reality is that paying players their market value as a football player will not be punished, so programs can either adapt to this reality or clutch their pearls and say the teams that win didn’t do it by the exact letter of the law. I know which side I’d rather have my team be on. 

Cool. I'll just tell that to the IRS with my charitable organization that I'm on the board of and contribute to financially. I'm sure it'll go over real nicely that I'm breaking laws. 

I'm not naive, and this isn't about getting players in trouble it's about stomping on anything relatively in bounds because there are no referees. Imagine you are playing a game with set rules and someone from the audience hires a guy to come take out your best player at the knees and then the audience rushes the field to disrupt play and the opposing team just gets helped by them. 

It's not fun to watch or participate in, it's fucking bullshit for people trying to play the game, just because referees aren't there doesn't mean you just act like a fucking heathen, but this is America and apparently we are barbaric savages who "take what's there for the taking" because our monkey brains can't comprehend following rules without consequences. 

It delegitimizes all the work we have done with donors, charities, players and everyone involved because a bunch of clowns have now marked our above board charity that is fully in bounds as a way to pay players for performance or recruiting ranking or anything else for that matter, when it's about getting players involved with the community and raising significant awareness for charities that people don't know about. 

Everyone can sit here and call me naive and stupid about NIL all you want, but the naive and stupid ones are the ones trampling all over true NIL with pay for play schemes and straight up buying players from rosters who can't match. 

I'm not some altruistic hippie, but holy fuck this is like taking out a PPP loan and getting it forgiven when you didn't have anyone who needed it or for those not in business like taking the covid mortgage payment assistance even though you kept your job and were perfectly capable of paying. 

Both completely illegal and yet not enforced at all so people rampantly abused the system and it didn't work correctly because of that. /Endrant 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

yeah, wished we could have gotten Muschamp, if what was rumored was true being Sark's first choice.   

After last year, I’d entertain the idea that maybe we should’ve let Sark run with Mike Stoops, let alone Muschamp. At least when the defense was terrible under Stoops, there wouldn’t be a “let’s just try the same thing again and see how it goes” school of thought.

32 minutes ago, immamac said:

Everyone can sit here and call me naive and stupid about NIL all you want, but the naive and stupid ones are the ones trampling all over true NIL with pay for play schemes and straight up buying players from rosters who can't match. 

Let's all say it together - "There is no such thing as true NIL to the NCAA".

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

After last year, I’d entertain the idea that maybe we should’ve let Sark run with Mike Stoops, let alone Muschamp. At least when the defense was terrible under Stoops, there wouldn’t be a “let’s just try the same thing again and see how it goes” school of thought.

What if this was actually the better hire, but Texas fans saw "Stoops" and lost their minds and our campaign to get this hire scuttled before it could happen actually led to this moment in time? 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Let's all say it together - "There is no such thing as true NIL to the NCAA".

This is just false. There are literally laws in the state of Texas governing this, just because everyone is breaking the law doesn't mean the law doesn't exist. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT reporting that Marcus Washington has entered the portal.  Roster currently at 9 WR's and 84 scholarship total.

LOL WOW dude can't catch balls and gets trap doored? How does that make any sense for him. I thought his dad was all "Texas helped muh boy" all the time?

• Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Hopefully it’s not the guy rumored by the OB “insider.” Would suck to have to rely on Jamison all season 

If it is the other DB - he would have had to already entered his name.  He's not a grad transfer and I can't see any way they be paying him to sit out a year.

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

IT says in addition to Washington 'they are closely watching another situation'. 

We're after May 1 - so you'd think it would have to be another Junior/Senior who could grad transfer?

May 1 was the last day to give written notice, after which there's 48 hours for the school to put them in the transfer portal, so there will be names coming out through Tuesday

• Rage+1 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)