Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

ESPN reporting that adding 4 schools to the Left-Behind 8 is all but done.

Hide contents

BYU, Houston, UCF and Cincinnati are planning to submit applications next week to join the Big 12, sources confirmed to ESPN on Friday.

The schools could be approved for admission as early as a Sept. 10 meeting of Big 12 presidents, according to Sports Illustrated, which first reported the story.

"Things are moving very quickly," one source told ESPN on Friday. "There's obvious momentum to get votes to the board."

American Athletic Conference bylaws require schools to give a 27-month notice before they leave and pay a $10 million buyout fee. In that scenario, joining by the 2023 season would be a long shot, but an earlier exit and higher buyout could be negotiated. The most realistic timeline, sources said, is 2024.

Sources in the American told ESPN that Houston, UCF and Cincinnati haven't officially informed the conference of their intent to leave.

ESPN reported Thursday that officials from the four schools had informally contacted the Big 12 about membership.

"All of those schools reached out to us," a Big 12 source with knowledge of the discussions said. "It wasn't like we poached them. They all made the initial communication."

The Big 12 presidents are expected to meet next week, but a conference source said it might be only eight presidents for their regularly scheduled meeting. A vote on new membership requires the presence of the full board, a source said, which still includes Oklahoma and Texas. The Big 12 is expected to have the eight of 10 votes needed to officially accept the schools into the conference.

Oklahoma and Texas have said they will honor their grant-of-rights agreement before joining the SEC on July 1, 2025. If that holds true, it's possible the Big 12 operates as a 14-team conference for a year, with the new members competing alongside the outgoing conference co-founders. It's also possible BYU, an FBS independent, joins the Big 12 before the American schools.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby declined comment Friday.

lulz

"All of those schools reached out to us," a Big 12 source with knowledge of the discussions said. "It wasn't like we poached them. They all made the initial communication."

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby declined comment Friday.

Could that clown be any more transparent?

"Here's a quote, attribute it to a source, then say I declined to comment."

RE: expansion votes.  I read it someplace on the Athletic in the past few weeks that it does not have to be unanimous by all the Big 12 members to accept new schools, but it did have to be 8 of 10.  So it doesn't really matter what Oklahoma or Texas thinks about this.

I fully expect if Oklahoma and Texas do vote, they will both vote in favor of expansion.  At this point, it doesn't matter to their interests going forward how many schools are in the conference...only that expansion will possibly get them out the door easier and quicker.

so, since we're sticking around until '25, we can say no to cutting in the 4 newbies on our share of the tv money, right?   the other 8 are going to divvy up their 8 shares to feed 12, right?

that's a 50% paycut for everyone else if we fulfill our stated obligation to stick around.  because we're evil.  and big.

did i mention evil?

12 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so, since we're sticking around until '25, we can say no to cutting in the 4 newbies on our share of the tv money, right?   the other 8 are going to divvy up their 8 shares to feed 12, right?

that's a 50% paycut for everyone else if we fulfill our stated obligation to stick around.  because we're evil.  and big.

did i mention evil?

no

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

It's not their sole decision. Again, for the people in the back, fuck those pricks.

I’m sure Oklahoma would sign a long term rivalry deal with Nebraska, if Okie State would rather go it alone. Having an every other year home game from Oklahoma would be extremely valuable for future TV partners and make OSU more attractive for conferences like the PAC.

I get the anger, but suck it up buttercup.  OSU needs Bedlam, far more than OU (who doesn’t really need it, but it makes for a nice political gesture).

26 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m sure Oklahoma would sign a long term rivalry deal with Nebraska, if Okie State would rather go it alone. Having an every other year home game from Oklahoma would be extremely valuable for future TV partners and make OSU more attractive for conferences like the PAC.

I get the anger, but suck it up buttercup.  OSU needs Bedlam, far more than OU (who doesn’t really need it, but it makes for a nice political gesture).

OSU needs a guaranteed loss on their schedule? No, they don't need that. And the idea of ASKING for that asskicking after getting backstabbed is fucking retarded. 

26 minutes ago, Sandman said:

OSU needs a guaranteed loss on their schedule? No, they don't need that. And the idea of ASKING for that asskicking after getting backstabbed is fucking retarded. 

Now that it would be OOC it wouldn’t hurt your Big12 standings so that a huge plus for you guys plus it would really help y’all’s TV numbers.

Your games against Texas and Oklahoma pulled 4+ million viewers.  Your next highest game was against a top ranked Iowa State (2.8 million). The rest range from 2.1 million to 600k and that’s with the benefit of having a major TV deal with ESPN/FOX due to your relationship with Texas and Oklahoma, and casual interest from their fans.

The Big 12 schools should be trying to lock up long term annual rivalry games to improve their possibility of keeping their games on national broadcast channels as those game are predictable inventory that the networks will consider when bidding on the new Big 12 TV deals, take those away and the likelihood that their TV deal puts the majority of games on FS1, CBSSN, NBCSN, or ESPN+ increases.

With the SEC possibly going to 10 conference games and the “alliance” limiting OOC opportunities (which may limit them to 10 games as well) locking up existing rivalries like Bedlam, Iowa/ISU, and Utah/BYU would be extremely valuable for the conference in getting big time TV deals.  Other schools like Tech/Baylor/TCU/UH should be using every trick they have to get an annual or at a minimum semi-regular rivalry games with Texas and aggy, and others like Cincy/UCF should be trying for to get something going with a local P5 school (though that’s probably more difficult). Increasing your attractiveness in the eyes of ESPN and FOX should be your goal, worrying about an end of season OOC loss is shortsighted.

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Wait, so I haven't checked but based on what others said above, Texas and Oklahoma can't block expansion by voting no because only 80% is needed, but they can block expansion by just not showing up for board meetings? Because 100% attendance is required for a quorum?

Yes, that my understanding from Twitter and such too, but that quorum is only required for adding new members.  If they don’t show at all the R8 could try to pass unfavorable rules/restrictions without UT/OU in the room.  Depending on their bylaws they might be able to do that anyways so without fully diving into them it’s hard to say whether a quorum stunt for leverage would be worthwhile or not.  I’m sure it’s being considered either way.

Edited by TKthunder2

So it is kind of funny that BYU is going to be the big “winner” in this. This move will instantly improve their strength of schedule and payout.

t

They are pretty well locked in with Utah and USU and have played Boise every year since 2012.  If they add 4, then they are looking at probably 8 conference games (division and 1/2 other division rotating) plus those 3 plus a body bag game. That would be a hell of a deal for BYU.

The more interesting part of this then, with those 4 what are the new divisions?

9 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Wait, so I haven't checked but based on what others said above, Texas and Oklahoma can't block expansion by voting no because only 80% is needed, but they can block expansion by just not showing up for board meetings? Because 100% attendance is required for a quorum?

An 30 second glance at the bylaws shows a 70% quorum requirement. Could be a proviso for this vote, didn’t review closely 

https://static.big12sports.com/custompages/pdfs/handbook/bylaws.pdf

On 9/4/2021 at 2:06 AM, Laxtonto said:

So it is kind of funny that BYU is going to be the big “winner” in this. This move will instantly improve their strength of schedule and payout.

t

They are pretty well locked in with Utah and USU and have played Boise every year since 2012.  If they add 4, then they are looking at probably 8 conference games (division and 1/2 other division rotating) plus those 3 plus a body bag game. That would be a hell of a deal for BYU.

The more interesting part of this then, with those 4 what are the new divisions?

And finishing up a 3 game series with the Domers next year in Vegas. 

I’m not sure on Notre Dame’s interesting in continuing. 

Big 12 still moving forward.   Not acknowledging earlier departure.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

The tentative projection remains that the four teams come in for the 2023 season. That means two more Big 12 seasons at 10 teams and two at 14 before OU/UT planned departure after '24 . The league could still consider another round of expansion prior to the new television deal.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Applications are expected to come in within the next 48 hours. A formal vote is being planned for later this week, likely on Friday. All systems still appear on track. “We’re heading toward adding four teams in the next short period of time.”

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Sources: Big 12 presidents held a meeting on Monday. No votes took place, as it was more an informational meeting to go over the impending applications of UCF, Cincinnati, BYU and Houston to join the league. 1/3

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Fuck no. We’re out after this season. We know it. They know it. It’s all formality now, and trying to further not look like a monkey fucking a football on bowlsby’s part. 

i hope you're right, but i have a sneaky suspicion that we end up staying until 2023 as a way to avoid the GOR loss. 

• Haha 1

Bobby:

This week, four schools are expected to apply, be invited to join, and accept membership into the Big 12, as a result of the earlier move of Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC.

So what will the move of these four schools into the Big 12 actually mean for Texas and the Horns’ desire to move sooner rather than later into the SEC?

“It doesn’t hurt,” one high-ranking university official texted me.

The reply was both interesting and intentionally vague in my opinion.

University officials have gone mostly silent on this topic. Why?

There’s a lot of money at stake and getting out over your skis on this could result in millions of dollars of mistakes, something no university administrator or official wants to be responsible for.

Yet from talking to people this weekend at the game, I get the sense that Texas heading to the SEC is coming sooner rather than later. And yes, Texas is going to have to pay a steep fee to accelerate the process.

But like the university official said, it’s also a process that won’t be hurt by the Big 12’s reactionary decision to expand. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. The sooner the Big 12 moves forward, the sooner Texas and OU can as well, even when the Big 12 brass publicly may tout otherwise.

Very interesting notes from Bobby this morning....I mean we knew the overall sentiment of going there in 2022.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, bullet said:
Big 12 still moving forward.   Not acknowledging earlier departure.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

The tentative projection remains that the four teams come in for the 2023 season. That means two more Big 12 seasons at 10 teams and two at 14 before OU/UT planned departure after '24 . The league could still consider another round of expansion prior to the new television deal.

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Applications are expected to come in within the next 48 hours. A formal vote is being planned for later this week, likely on Friday. All systems still appear on track. “We’re heading toward adding four teams in the next short period of time.”

YTz0-AxN_normal.jpg

Sources: Big 12 presidents held a meeting on Monday. No votes took place, as it was more an informational meeting to go over the impending applications of UCF, Cincinnati, BYU and Houston to join the league. 1/3

I think it makes more sense to expand east rather than west. The west coast doesn't seem to care much about college football and the Big 12 already has WVU. Having said that, if you take BYU, then how do you not take San Diego State? So much potential with SDSU. Big city with no NFL team, gets you California exposure and typically decently solid football and basketball. 

8 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I think it makes more sense to expand east rather than west. The west coast doesn't seem to care much about college football and the Big 12 already has WVU. Having said that, if you take BYU, then how do you not take San Diego State so much potential with SDSU. Big city with no NFL team, gets you California exposure and typically decently solid football and basketball. 

SDSU gets at the heart of conference issues. For football, coast to coast may be fine. But for non-reve sports a little geographic rationality is called for. 

On 9/4/2021 at 2:06 AM, Laxtonto said:

t

I think most likely alignment is...

North: Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Cincinnati, BYU, West Virginia

South: Texas Tech, Okie St, Baylor, TCU, UH, UCF

What I'd like to see...

Kansas, K St, Iowa St, West Virginia, Oklahoma St, Tech

Baylor, TCU, BYU, UCF, Juggalo St, Cougar High

9 hours ago, Gidnik said:

i hope you're right, but i have a sneaky suspicion that we end up staying until 2023 as a way to avoid the GOR loss. 

The money is there. The only question left unanswered is how much money will be in the bag when we drop it, and our nut sack, on the table as we throw 2 fingers in the air and walk out.

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Bojack said:

I think most likely alignment is...

North: Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Cincinnati, BYU, West Virginia

South: Texas Tech, Okie St, Baylor, TCU, UH, UCF

What I'd like to see...

Kansas, K St, Iowa St, West Virginia, Oklahoma St, Tech

Baylor, TCU, BYU, UCF, Juggalo St, Cougar High

Gee is driving the bus and he wants travel partners. West Virginia is going to be a division with UCF and Cincy. 

"East" : UCF, Cincy, West Virginia, Kansas, K State, Iowa State 

West : Baylor, TCU, BYU, OK State, Tech, UH

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Gee is driving the bus and he wants travel partners. West Virginia is going to be a division with UCF and Cincy. 

That makes the most sense. Utah is beautiful so maybe I’ll make a trip to a game, I’ll just drink my coffee and beer before getting near the campus.

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

That makes the most sense. Utah is beautiful so maybe I’ll make a trip to a game, I’ll just drink my coffee and beer before getting near the campus.

Dr. Pepper is also forbidden. Load up on these while you still can. 

9f9b6ff1-d233-4bf6-9e05-82ea453f5d08.f1e70bfee11d07811f2b9f79534aeac6.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

WVU has recruited Florida 3-stars well in the past, too. I'm sure they'd like to re-establish a presence in the Sunshine State. UCF is a true "sleeping giant", IMO, unlike aggy.

2 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

I think it makes more sense to expand east rather than west. The west coast doesn't seem to care much about college football and the Big 12 already has WVU. Having said that, if you take BYU, then how do you not take San Diego State? So much potential with SDSU. Big city with no NFL team, gets you California exposure and typically decently solid football and basketball. 

Agree SDSU is comparable to Cougar High, but they ain't BYU. Plus, it's another time zone west. That'd stretch the Big 12 too far, IMO.

37 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This would actually be an ok conference. Would be better if they kicked Baylor out but still.

There are some really good breweries in SLC, surprisingly. And really good coffee shops. Check out Jack Mormon Coffee.

38 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yes, seriously.  UCF, WV and Cincy have to stay together.  Making WV/BYU take trips to the other side of the country is asinine.  

BYU is kinda fucked because Houston -> Provo is 1400 miles but there's no good option.  

Morgantown -> Provo is 2,000 miles and 2 time zones away

Morgantown -> Orlando is 900 miles

Lubbock -> Provo is 870 miles

Lubbock -> Orlando is 1500 miles