Gil Bang

"it's time for hunters to leave the NRA"

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

FIFY. I agree in large part in your other points.

But, guns do not stop government tyranny.

That shit is going to happen regardless of whether the populous is armed. The power dynamic, resources, and technological advantage of our federal / state governments vs. common citizenry is so skewed that arming people with semi-automatic weapons does nothing to prevent abuses of power.

What guns are great at is killing people/things.

And when a populous is heavily armed and it’s difficult to vet those who have them , know how many are out there, and prevent illegal sales then we get into a situation where a lot of people end up dead.

Far more people are dead at the hands of the instruments that’s supposed to protect against gov. Tyranny. And when you look at the total # of those dead, it’s likely that it’s FAR more than what a tyrannical government could achieve (well... maybe / maybe not. But stay with me)

I think that’s the biggest irony in my mind.

The 2nd amendment and what it has become / what it has been interpreted to guarantee has created a far more tyrannical situation to the common person currently than what it was supposed to protect us from.

I'm largely with you on item 3).  However, although it is undoubtedly correct that the US government could easily quash an armed insurrection, I think it is quite conceivable that armed "protestors" doing a little shooting could raise the volume sufficiently beyond an unarmed populace that there is still a bit of traction to the idea.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Can’t speak for anyone else, but I don’t hunt. I keep guns for a three reasons:

1) I think they are inherently interesting

2) I enjoy shooting

3) In the unlikely event that I need to take up arms against tyranny or protect my family from a collapse of civil order.

Indeed.

A CSB.  I am a native Texan and I hunt white tail deer, but that's about it.  I keep my rifle at my business partner's house since he has a gun safe and I don't want my kids getting into it.

So back in 2013 I participated in the Shag fall Matagorda Surf Trip and was rather uphauled at the wanton gun usage by other said participants.  They were target practicing right there on the beach. Nobody did anything ridiculously stupid or had any military grade weapons, but shit.  The funny thing was it seemed like I was the only one who didn't bring a gun to the beach.  I can only image what the non hippie UT grad dudes who are sporting the confederate truck flags are hauling down there.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm largely with you on item 3).  However, although it is undoubtedly correct that the US government could easily quash an armed insurrection, I think it is quite conceivable that armed "protestors" doing a little shooting could raise the volume sufficiently beyond an unarmed populace that there is still a bit of traction to the idea.

I guess that is true w/ the whole Cliven Bundy debacle.

But it didn't really work at Ruby Ridge and Waco... or maybe it did.

Maybe we never hear about Waco and Ruby Ridge w/out guns because the feds execute that without any resistance. But is that really tyranny. I would argue not.

Are we better off as a society when the Bundys, Koreshs, and Weavers are somehow the good guys?

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Indeed.

A CSB.  I am a native Texan and I hunt white tail deer, but that's about it.  I keep my rifle at my business partner's house since he has a gun safe and I don't want my kids getting into it.

So back in 2013 I participated in the Shag fall Matagorda Surf Trip and was rather uphauled at the wanton gun usage by other said participants.  They were target practicing right there on the beach. Nobody did anything ridiculously stupid or had any military grade weapons, but shit.  The funny thing was it seemed like I was the only one who didn't bring a gun to the beach.  I can only image what the non hippie UT grad dudes who are sporting the confederate truck flags are hauling down there.

Man, I should have gone on that trip. 

9 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I clipped this part out, because in light of the AG, this is what is ultimately going on, IMO. The influence that the organization used, under the guise of "GUNS," was to funnel money not only to the leadership of the organization, but to the very abuse of power of which you speak. Another org will pop up in its place, but going after the obvious fraud is at least, at start.

How hard up were these guys that they sold out for the Russian female version of Johnny Manziel?

I can only image what the non hippie UT grad dudes who are sporting the confederate truck flags are hauling down there.

COVID

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

How hard up were these guys that they sold out for the Russian female version of Johnny Manziel?

snatch is snatch 

I can't get over how great a con the GOP has going.  I mean just think of the shit they've thrown against the wall and had stick.  Unbelievable.  It's a run like Wooden at UCLA.

Stupid people are the most valuable commodity in the world.  

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I can't get over how great a con the GOP has going.  I mean just think of the shit they've thrown against the wall and had stick.  Unbelievable.  It's a run like Wooden at UCLA.

Stupid people are the most valuable commodity in the world.  

Dad knew a big time da then defense attorney (lots of you legal eagles would know him)

one time he was over at dinner and my dad asked him how he developed his his strategy for winning cases and he said “When I first started out I just tried to load the jury with the stupidest jurors available regardless of any other metric. It’s never stopped working.” 

20 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

I guess that is true w/ the whole Cliven Bundy debacle.

But it didn't really work at Ruby Ridge and Waco... or maybe it did.

Maybe we never hear about Waco and Ruby Ridge w/out guns because the feds execute that without any resistance. But is that really tyranny. I would argue not.

Are we better off as a society when the Bundys, Koreshs, and Weavers are somehow the good guys?

Exactly what I was thinking of.  Imagine if actual good guys did a little armed work.

Those shitheads, all of whom were in the wrong, as far as I can tell, managed to highlight oppressive government action and call into question multiple federal agencies.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 8/7/2020 at 12:47 PM, Jiggy-Z said:

Indeed.

Boats and guns both.  I have seen (extended) family and friends do shit that makes my SMDH.  "Nope, never going skiing with that motherfucker."   "Never, ever, ever will I go to a range or hunting with them..."   Keep in mind I had one of the contenders for "Fucked up family at Christmas" a few years ago because someone got shot because there was an "unloaded" gun being shown in a relative's living room.  No, I was not present.

The range of safety awareness and practice is freaking amazing.  Safety and conservation efforts should be the primary focus of a gun organization, IMHO.  The NRA ain't that.

Edited by slorch

10 hours ago, slorch said:

Boats and guns both.  I have seen (extended) family and friends do shit that makes my SMDH.  "Nope, never going skiing with that motherfucker."   "Never, ever, ever will I go to a range or hunting with them..."   Keep in mind I had one of the contenders for "Fucked up family at Christmas" a few years ago because someone got shot because there was an "unloaded" gun being shown in a relative's living room.  No, I was not present.

The range of safety awareness and practice is freaking amazing.  Safety and conservation efforts should be the primary focus of a gun organization, IMHO.  The NRA ain't that.

Sad thing is it was when I was a kid. I learned a lot from the NRA and they even certified me as a sharpshooter with a .22 rifle. Somewhere I still have the certificate.

Me too. The NRA used to do a great job teaching and advocating for gun safety and shooting sports.

I’ve still got my rimfire Marksman and Sharpshooter pins.

9 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Sad thing is it was when I was a kid. I learned a lot from the NRA and they even certified me as a sharpshooter with a .22 rifle. Somewhere I still have the certificate.

Very similar experience for me, although it was through 4-H.

The notion of someone having 10-15 ten year old boys and girls with firearms in a setting like that would make some folks' heads explode these days.  

Yeah, and you turned GAY.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah, and you turned GAY.

If the NRA was a secret homosexual recruiting conspiracy this whole time that would actually explain some things.

Indeed.

That whole trip was pretty out of control.  I got woken up from being passed out in my tent cot by someone firing off a handgun.  The trips we do to PINS now are firearm free, I like it better that way.  

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

If the NRA was a secret homosexual recruiting conspiracy this whole time that would actually explain some things.

LGBTQAnon. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

LGBTQAnon. 

That's one way of making QAnon disappear.

I can only image what the non hippie UT grad dudes who are sporting the confederate truck flags are hauling down there.

Well some kids just caught the island on fire a week or so ago, shooting. So pretty much what you’d imagine. 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:52 AM, SydneyCarton said:

Liberals? 

"haven't"

Edited by elfenix

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion