All Things Brisket

kevwun

So I smoked a brisket and want to use some of the lean for chili. Thing is I’ve never cooked chili before and don’t know how. I tried googling but got a bunch of recipes that seemed like bull shit. I’m hoping someone here more experienced than me can help me make something decent out of what I have. What I have:

Brisket
Mixed ground chuck/sirloin
Poblano peppers
Hatch peppers
San Marzino can tomato’s
Telling us chili seasoning
White onion
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Kidney/pinto beans
Shiner
Chicken stock

How do I salvage these and make something decent??

7 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

So I smoked a brisket and want to use some of the lean for chili. Thing is I’ve never cooked chili before and don’t know how. I tried googling but got a bunch of recipes that seemed like bull shit. I’m hoping someone here more experienced than me can help me make something decent out of what I have. What I have:

Brisket
Mixed ground chuck/sirloin
Poblano peppers
Hatch peppers
San Marzino can tomato’s
Telling us chili seasoning
White onion
Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Kidney/pinto beans
Shiner
Chicken stock

How do I salvage these and make something decent??

I bumped the chili thread. Go and educate yourself. Brisket chili is kickass 

• Like 1

Don’t get too excited. With Subway deciding to join the brisket sammich game we can expect to see an increase in brisket prices. Demand will outpace supply and us bbq guys will take it up the arse so a sub sammich shop can play at bbq.

I’m gonna stop doing brisket and start doing top round and clod

I’m guessing the answer is yes but has there been an overall increase (or at least less dips) in the price of brisket in the last year or two? In prior years I would keep my eye out when the price was $2.99 and even $1.99 a pound but I feel like I haven’t seen those prices in over a year and that Costco price is about the best I see now.

I’m guessing the answer is yes but has there been an overall increase (or at least less dips) in the price of brisket in the last year or two? In prior years I would keep my eye out when the price was $2.99 and even $1.99 a pound but I feel like I haven’t seen those prices in over a year and that Costco price is about the best I see now.

Yes. Wholesale brisket rose from low $2 range to mid $3 range from the beginning of 2017 to mid 2018. Its now back to low $3 range. That’s for upper 2/3 choice. No clue what select is bc I don’t buy it.

Drought conditions, run on the market bc of new national entrants (Arby’s), other factors. Subway is a massive operation. If they buy up large chunks of the market, the little guys are fuuuuucked.

Yet retail price of brisket at restaurants has remained largely stable for the past 5 years.
  • Like 1

Cross posted from WSM thread.
v-Die4-Qi-Mj-Dl0-Kd7-Vj0-Rtc-R0-Rr-T3r37yx1-SJ7ae-Xh-Rq-XFh-Iq-FM8-Xy-o-VDN3f-Wp-JPC9uw-GH-Tp-QWq7hydc7-Doppq-DE97g-D-x0-WDZjjv-Yu-VRdo-Cy-Spoc-OAFYTx-Tfl-ZPn-x7jl-TApbq03dz-Cy-Oxh-BLScy6y9-HDH8fm-Li-F2b3-Lg-W74s-Pb-Jdk-K7jov-Jcetd-0p-PEr4b71j-Au1-Koi0-Vz7k-Fz3-VJT0-N9-M3sm1i-Fjdi-8-Msuw-7-Xti-Oq-Aggr0f8-VGi-g-GCr.jpg

Beautiful.

Lol for a second (while tailgating and drinking) I thought that was my pic.

I finally got the dash of cayenne to stick and taste. Stored it rubbed for over 30hrs in fridge. Even the old LSU couple liked the spice.

8267506c35547555990e92e4281c5907.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ChampKind said:

With Subway deciding to join the brisket sammich game we can expect to see an increase in brisket prices.

Oh, yum. Whenever I see tender, smoky, juicy brisket, the first question that comes to mind is what shitty fast food chain sandwich roll can I waste it on. Better yet, forget tender, smoky, and juicy and just overcook the shit out of it and smother it in some crappy, sweet-ass sauce. All prepared in less than two minutes right before my very eyes, so you know it's worth it.

9 hours ago, ChampKind said:

I’m gonna stop doing brisket and start doing top round and clod

This will probably shock you, but brisket prices in Idaho are usually outrageous, so I've been smoking a lot of chuck roasts, which I can often find on sale for less than $3.50/lb. It's a tad trickier since there's no fat cap, but I've been pleased with the results so far.

Edited by Braff Zacklin