Vice President tells NASA to get to the Moon in 5 years.

atomheartbevo

Yeah, we can't afford public education or the National Endowment for the Arts, but we can afford to do this.

I love science, but what are we going to learn from this that's worth $120 billion?

Is he trying to start a space arms race with China that we can't win?

This is some dumb shit.

Yeah, we can't afford public education or the National Endowment for the Arts, but we can afford to do this.
I love science, but what are we going to learn from this that's worth $120 billion?
This is some dumb shit.
$7 for every $1.

That's why.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:
20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:
Wow. He's grossly unqualified to wield that authority. 

It's a political/policy position that every VP has held since it was established, so.... Congrats on being wrong.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the authority that comes along with the office. (I didn't know the VP had that authority and I appreciate you letting me know, btw.) I'm saying that Mike Pence is scientifically illiterate and believes in magic so consequently he is not qualified to exercise this particular authority granted to him by virtue of the office he holds. I'm defining "qualified" as possessing the necessary knowledge and experience to do the job, not as simply holding the office that comes with the job attached to it. 

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm not saying he doesn't have the authority that comes along with the office. (I didn't know the VP had that authority and I appreciate you letting me know, btw.) I'm saying that Mike Pence is scientifically illiterate and believes in magic so consequently he is not qualified to exercise this particular authority granted to him by virtue of the office he holds. I'm defining "qualified" as possessing the necessary knowledge and experience to do the job, not as simply holding the office that comes with the job attached to it. 

So Barack Obama was qualified to talk about complex economic policy with his background of Community Organizing?  I see you’re making another crack on Christians as well.  A few of them walked on the moon 50 years ago.   I guess their belief in magic disqualified them?   Nice fucking analogy 

• Like 6

Wait, we move the thread in five years or we get Back to the moon in five years?

honest question to ramjet and others——there had to be somebody, somewhere along the way at NASA after these last 60 years, one person in leadership or astronaut class that thought we’d see God up there outside the atmosphere.  How come nobody ever talks about that as a tertiary purpose for why we went up there way back when?   

11 minutes ago, Southernthunder said:

Just move it to the cloak room and save yourself the trouble of doing it later. 

Or we just talk about the fact that somebody is trying to pivot NASA to rushing us to the moon.  The fact that they want it to happen before the end of a theoretical second term so they can claim it as their legacy is besides the point. 

This is the kind of thing that could lead us to merging this thread and the celebrity death pool thread.

i have to think somebody at NASA is going to tell them that “urgency” should not be the mantra of NASA.   

Hell, we lost three Apollo astronauts in a fucking fire because we arguably didn’t spend enough time thinking about this stuff.  And ironically, their deaths helped buy a lot more time so that future crews were safer.  

A part of me is concerned that Musk may have helped sell this.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

55 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Well you see, the Moon is a lot like Mars, so everything we learn there can be applied to Mars.  

Except that Mars has an atmosphere and gravity closer to Earth’s than the Moon.  

But that’s just a minor detail.  

While I would like to see a Lunar presence, I’d rather that $120 billion be spent on more long-term goals.  

Assuming they can get $150 billion.  Because it will bloom to $150 billion when you start scattering around contracts everywhere.  

12 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

So Barack Obama was qualified to talk about complex economic policy with his background of Community Organizing?  I see you’re making another crack on Christians as well.  A few of them walked on the moon 50 years ago.   I guess their belief in magic disqualified them?   Nice fucking analogy 

Why do you use "Community Organizing" as some sort of slight? Is that really something you feel strongly about? Or did your Christian feelings get bruised so you're lashing out with a popular meme you heard? Yeah, he was a community organizer. What's wrong with grassroots democracy?

He was also a professor of constitutional law at Harvard. He's also a Christian. And he was smart enough to take the advice of experts when it comes to subjects outside of his mastery. Presidents used to do that. Given how much better the economy was when he left office compared to where it was when he took office, we can only conclude that he did a really good job in that area. Don't be silly. Obama and economics isn't relevant to the topic at hand anyway, but even if it was then your argument fails. 

At least Obama believed in science. Pence doesn't. Pence disagrees with a whole lot of NASA scientists on scientific subjects for reasons unrelated to science. I don't think such a person is qualified to have any sort of authority over NASA. It's possible to be a Christian and a scientist. Mike Pence isn't a scientist and he has a history of not listening to qualified scientific experts when it comes to subjects outside of his mastery. He practices willful ignorance. That's dangerous. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This is some dumb shit.

From my very limited understanding, I think some of the plans for Mars include the use of the Moon as a way-station or launch-point for missions.

8 hours ago, TexArcher said:

We can't afford anything. We're $20 trillion in debt, adding a trillion to it every year, and fifteen years from depleting the Social Security Trust Fund. So, we can't afford YOUR pet projects either.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

This is so 1969

Sorry, but this announcement is so 1962. What Pence wants is to make 2024 so 1969.

To compliment what Ramjet said, focusing on urgency is when things go bad.

And while Space-X landing and reusing launch rockets is cool, it is not going to get us to the moon (and more importantly back from the moon). Because really the getting back part is pretty important if you decide you want to go there.
I think one of the biggest hurdle will be the outcry when the uber recycling/save the earth crowd decide that we shouldn't pollute the moon. And that everything we take up there has to come back.
And wait until Pence and his boss get wind of the cost of this program, I'm pretty sure it is much more than building a wall (I'll show myself to the CR now)

54 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Because really the getting back part is pretty important if you decide you want to go there.

I can solve that problem. Let Aggies design, run, and man the program. Coming back from the moon won't even occur to them until they get there and discover it's not made of green cheese and they should have brought snacks.

We can't afford anything. We're $20 trillion in debt, adding a trillion to it every year, and fifteen years from depleting the Social Security Trust Fund. So, we can't afford YOUR pet projects either.

Serious question. Why are we trying to land on the moon? It really seems like a waste of money that could better be spent elsewhere.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jkwellborn said:

Serious question. Why are we trying to land on the moon? It really seems like a waste of money that could better be spent elsewhere.

Cuz China is going to do it. Same reason we had the space race last time. Competition. 

It's also worthwhile. At our core, mankind are explorers. There is little left to explore on Earth, but the oceans. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Public education is a "pet project"?!

If we can't afford education, we are finished as a superpower.  Hell, we're finished as a civilized nation.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

Cuz China is going to do it. Same reason we had the space race last time. Competition. 
It's also worthwhile. At our core, mankind are explorers. There is little left to explore on Earth, but the oceans. 

What makes it worthwhile though? Bragging rights?

You want to be the first person to find a new alien life form, and fuck it? You’d walk by and people would be like, There he goes. Homeboy fucked a Martian once.

23 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

increasing federal funding for public education is a pet project

Well then everything the federal government spends money on is a pet project.  Fine.

And the question remains: why is *this* pet project a good allocation of a massive amount of tax dollars while our infrastructure is crumbling, our kids are lagging behind the rest of the civilized world in every discipline of study, military leaders are complaining of unpreparedness, we have a national healthcare crisis that's about to hit a tipping point as Boomers get old, we just had the two highest annual deficits in history, etc?

42 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

What happened to Space Force?

it got rolled back in to the Air Force.  boys weren't having it.

on a more serious note, i didn't get the jane-teenage-bride thing, then went to the wiki.

judy is 15.

jane is 33.

so george at 25 was banging 18 year old jane.

on the reservation.