Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

- Drew Sanders, Haynes King are likely to get a fifth star.

- Gut feeling is that Haynes King picks Tennessee, Zach Evans picks A&M.

- Other irrelevant stuff.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

- Drew Sanders, Haynes King are likely to get a fifth star.

- Gut feeling is that Haynes King picks Tennessee, Zach Evans picks A&M.

- Other irrelevant stuff.

If this happens I will truly LOL. Talk about making your priorities known. 

55 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Zach Evans picks A&M.

Yah, that's not gunna happen. A&M has got to keep building and winning and start beating the Georgia's and stuff, then those 5 Stars like Evans will come, right?

Edited by UncleBuck

You wonder if Herman feels same level of alarm as the fans do. Obviously as fans we have information asymmetry but it certainly looks like Texas is stalling out and losing out on lots of key targets. 

I’m hopeful Herman can pull out but the team can’t keep banking on finding undiscovered 2-3 stars and actually need to win some of recruiting battles for high 4 to 5 star players. 

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

- A&M made an impression on Dontae Manning, he now wants to play in the SEC.

I think he wanted to flip to LSU earlier, but they wouldn't let him or weren't pushing for him

15 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

You wonder if Herman feels same level of alarm as the fans do. Obviously as fans we have information asymmetry but it certainly looks like Texas is stalling out and losing out on lots of key targets. 

I’m hopeful Herman can pull out but the team can’t keep banking on finding undiscovered 2-3 stars and actually need to win some of recruiting battles for high 4 to 5 star players. 

With so many of the top targets either committed or looking elsewhere, Herman is probably chalking the 2020 class off as a loss and doubling down efforts on 2021.

I'm starting to think that we are in a weird place in the program's progression where we can no longer sell recruits on early playing time and being the class to bring Texas BACK; however we haven't proven we can make the playoffs and produce a ton of early draft picks yet. Add in not being in the SEC (like it or not) and we are kind of stuck in a tough middle ground for recruiting. If this season goes as planned, 2021 might be better.

Honestly, if we can land a talented running back and a few more of the top end recruits we are aiming for, I am fine with the bottom half of the class being depth guys. I think we have some pretty solid dudes in the class already. 

Edited by Sock Monkey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah I’m sure that’s exactly what he’s doing in July of 2019.

Our staff thought we were getting guys like Evans, Demas and Broughton a year ago. I'm sure they feel we are getting everyone in '21 outside of OL which is already being defined for both aggie and us. This staff can't close worth a shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Our staff thought we were getting guys like Evans, Demas and Broughton a year ago. I'm sure they feel we are getting everyone in '21 outside of OL which is already being defined for both aggie and us. This staff can't close worth a shit.

It's got weak spots, but this is a bit much.

6 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So are we really at the point that we MUST win the conference AND make a CFP birth or this thing will go off the rails??

Winning the conference is going to help. Putting asses in the NFL early in the draft will also. And a couple of better 'crooters. 

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

So are we really at the point that we MUST win the conference AND make a CFP birth or this thing will go off the rails??

At bare minimum need to: 1) beat OU or LSU, 2) make it to the Big 12 CCG, and 3) get some players drafted. 

27 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I'm starting to think that we are in a weird place in the program's progression where we can no longer sell recruits on early playing time and being the class to bring Texas BACK; however we haven't proven we can make the playoffs and produce a ton of early draft picks yet. Add in not being in the SEC (like it or not) and we are kind of stuck in a tough middle ground for recruiting. If this season goes as planned, 2021 might be better.  Honestly, if we can land a talented running back and a few more of the top end recruits we are aiming for, I am fine with the bottom half of the class being depth guys. I think we have some pretty solid dudes in the class already. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's got weak spots, but this is a bit much.

Maybe but at best, still in question IMO. If BC could not hit the road and Sumlin is not sacrificed for the 75M man our 18 class looks very different. I expect Coach to adjust but I also thought he would make the right moves this offseason after pretty much firing Meh/Warehime after his 1st season. Drayton now has 2 full classes to show how poor of a recruiter he is, it took something special to not win the Cain recruitment and Drayton was up for that match.

Giles is a tougher move, our recruiting results have been good IMO but Leal has been the best prospect since Coach got here and we lost.

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

At bare minimum need to: 1) beat OU or LSU, 2) make it to the Big 12 CCG, and 3) get some players drafted.

It's a pretty sparse group of seniors this year. CJ, Roach, Shack and McCulloch all need to show out more than they ever have.

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's a pretty sparse group of seniors this year. CJ, Roach, Shack and McCulloch all need to show out more than they ever have.

Yep, it's going to be a couple of more years probably before they start putting guys in the draft like that. Gotta win the conference.

Johnson has a chance to go early with a big year, no matter what we may think about his future prospects. LJH could have helped. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Once we start getting people drafted it'll be something else being "used" against us. When others hate you more than they like themselves it'll never stop raining hate. That is why you need organizational alignment and a staff of guys who can handle being King. Beck, Naiver, Washington & Hand should be the standard/floor to coaching/recruiting here.

11 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Once we start getting people drafted it'll be something else being "used" against us

Yah, but once you're competing for a playoffs spot every year, and THEN start securing kids' futures by getting them 1st/2nd round contracts, all of that other noise can be easier to combat.

In the end, though a lot of these kids DO want to win, they also want the best shot at getting the big paycheck at the next level. That's the biggest thing used against Texas now. Too many guys have said and/or hinted to it, and it's the damn truth until isn't. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Last football conference championship. 2008?

Last first round draft pick?

If you aren’t producing on the field, the $olution i$ to jump $tart thing$ to catch the right attention. The days of playing fair are over. The longer it takes accept it, the further we fall behind.

35 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Fire drew, Stan, Warehime, and Giles into the sun.

Not gonna happen because of continuity.  I think best we can hope for is one guy gets let go and another guy gets a "promotion" somewhere else, and then hopefully we do the same with the other two next year. 

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Maybe but at best, still in question IMO. If BC could not hit the road and Sumlin is not sacrificed for the 75M man our 18 class looks very different. I expect Coach to adjust but I also thought he would make the right moves this offseason after pretty much firing Meh/Warehime after his 1st season. Drayton now has 2 full classes to show how poor of a recruiter he is, it took something special to not win the Cain recruitment and Drayton was up for that match.

Giles is a tougher move, our recruiting results have been good IMO but Leal has been the best prospect since Coach got here and we lost.

look, i love Carrington and realize how much value he brings to the table but let's not give him THAT much credit here for taking visits. he went on the road in Jan 2018 for comparison

6 guys committed in 2018 calendar year: Josh Moore, Joseph Ossai, Moro Ojomo, Mike Williams, Daniel Carson, Christian Jones

Moore wasn't exactly a shocker. Combined, Ojomo, M Williams, Carson have exactly zero tackles so far in their career. Jones took a RS and hasn't taken a snap IIRC.

Ossai is huge and should play a big impact on the team next year, Carrington went on the in home and IIRC got a tweet or something from Ossai after his commit? But let's not act like that the 2018 class looks way way way different if you subtract Ossai/Ojomo/Carson nor act like Texas 100% wouldn't have landed some of those 6 without BC going on the road. 

2018 class players and commits, sorted by star ranking spoiler'd below

• Spoiler

• Sterns in May
    • Foster in June
    • Green committted in July
    • Overshown in May
    • Eagles in July
    • Cook in December
    • Cook in December
    • ***Josh Moore in Feb 2018 (not a shocker that he went to Texas through)
    • Woodard in July
    • Jamison in October
    • Dele in June
    • Coburn in Aug
    • Angilau in Dec
    • Ingram in May
    • ***Ossai in Feb 2018
    • Epps in Aug
    • Rising in April
    • Thompson in April
    • Moore in April
    • Ghirmai in Aug
    • ***Ojomo in Feb 2018
    • Grandy in Dec
    • Vaughns in April
    • ***Williams in Jan 2018
    • ***Carson in Jan 2018
    • ***C Jones in Feb 2018

23 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

To me, it looks like it won't matter. $EC is in Texas and quite frankly Arizona and California as well. If we want the talent we have to be $EC or win with Giles' specials.

Huh? Name one 2 star this staff has recruited.

16 minutes ago, NoName said:

look, i love Carrington and realize how much value he brings to the table but let's not give him THAT much credit here for taking visits. he went on the road in Jan 2018 for comparison

6 guys committed in 2018 calendar year: Josh Moore, Joseph Ossai, Moro Ojomo, Mike Williams, Daniel Carson, Christian Jones

Moore wasn't exactly a shocker. Combined, Ojomo, M Williams, Carson have exactly zero tackles so far in their career. Jones took a RS and hasn't taken a snap IIRC.

Ossai is huge and should play a big impact on the team next year, Carrington went on the in home and IIRC got a tweet or something from Ossai after his commit? But let's not act like that the 2018 class looks way way way different if you subtract Ossai/Ojomo/Carson nor act like Texas 100% wouldn't have landed some of those 6 without BC going on the road. 

2018 class players and commits, sorted by star ranking spoiler'd below

•   Reveal hidden contents

• Sterns in May
    • Foster in June
    • Green committted in July
    • Overshown in May
    • Eagles in July
    • Cook in December
    • Cook in December
    • ***Josh Moore in Feb 2018 (not a shocker that he went to Texas through)
    • Woodard in July
    • Jamison in October
    • Dele in June
    • Coburn in Aug
    • Angilau in Dec
    • Ingram in May
    • ***Ossai in Feb 2018
    • Epps in Aug
    • Rising in April
    • Thompson in April
    • Moore in April
    • Ghirmai in Aug