Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, field said:

Do people here seriously think the only way a kid picks Georgia over Texas is money?  Have you been to Georgia and seen the campus?  It reminds me a lot of...um..... Texas.  The people are generally really friendly, laid back and cool.  Kind of reminds me of.... Texas.  Georgia is ranked higher academically than Texas.  I just took my daughter on a tour of Georgia and, quite honestly, I was a lot more impressed with Georgia's presentation to prospective students than I was with Texas.  It's a big time football school and a good university.  Shocking that a kid would want to play there.        

Lulz. Many of the proven bigtime cheaters are perfectly fine schools with well regarded football programs. That didn't stop them.

Edited by Bevo14

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

And anyone writing Nebraska off definitively has no fucking clue how chaos or coaching works. Humans have a hard time predicting tomorrow accurately but you guys are moving them into Yale/Minnesota also-ran status. Got it.  

While Texas has drifted in the wilderness, they still have all the tools that a top program needs (big time recruiting ground, growing state, huge alumni base, all the money in the world).

Nebraska looks a lot more like Minnesota: meh recruiting territory, state in a rut, medium alumni base, solid but not mind-blowing revenues - actually below Minny: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

UT is as clean as a major program can be and it's stupid to argue otherwise. Do you really think that if UT had been paying players all these years that we wouldn't have gotten caught when Charlie fucking Strong was in charge? That dumbass couldn't beat Kansas, much less run a national bagman network. He would have left a comically large bag full of cash with dollar signs on the outside and a note saying "To: Malik Jefferson  From: The University of Texas" on the steps of the NCAA headquarters.  

Charlie fucked up several tosses of a coin. Imagine how fucked up it would have been if real money was involved.
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

While Texas has drifted in the wilderness, they still have all the tools that a top program needs (big time recruiting ground, growing state, huge alumni base, all the money in the world).

Nebraska looks a lot more like Minnesota: meh recruiting territory, state in a rut, medium alumni base, solid but not mind-blowing revenues - actually below Minny: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Do you honestly think you’re explaining something new in this post?

The reality is that Nebraska can dominate its side of the Big 10 with a terrific coach. Iowa produces nationally relevant teams every 5-8 years. Michigan State was in the CFP 5 years ago. Penn State has finished in the top 10 in the past 3 years. 

Anyone writing off a school that finds a huge part of its identity in its football program’s brand and performance is showing their ignorance. By your own summation, OU should be right where Nebraska is. Why aren’t they? Don’t fucking act like DFW is so far away from UNL and so close to OU that that is the difference. How do you think posters like you were viewing those two programs in 1998? I’ll give you a hint, invert your position and you have it straight. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Of course we lose recruits to Stanford. I'd certainly be surprised if we didn't. And honestly, if I'd had a choice between Texas and Stanford I would've chose Stanford. But Jorja, Bama, Gooner, Agroid, LowIQSU, OSSuck are not Stanford, and where there's smoke there's always fire. Losing recruits to Stanford, UM, Northwestern, ND doesn't bother me, but when it's to a school low on academics and high on reports of cheating you know something is going on.

What the actual fuck is going on today?

53 minutes ago, Rick Fuckin’ Dalton said:

I’m trying to hit the like button for what you said but it’s saying I’m out of likes for today?

3 minutes ago, Rick Fuckin’ Dalton said:

I’m gonna remove myself from this thread..

Bless your heart. Probably a good call. You’ll get ‘em next time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do you honestly think you’re explaining something new in this post?

The reality is that Nebraska can dominate its side of the Big 10 with a terrific coach. Iowa produces nationally relevant teams every 5-8 years. Michigan State was in the CFP 5 years ago. Penn State has finished in the top 10 in the past 3 years. 

Anyone writing off a school that finds a huge part of its identity in its football program’s brand and performance is showing their ignorance. By your own summation, OU should be right where Nebraska is. Why aren’t they? Don’t fucking act like DFW is so far away from UNL and so close to OU that that is the difference. How do you think posters like you were viewing those two programs in 1998? I’ll give you a hint, invert your position and you have it straight. 

Hey, I'll believe it when I see it. It's been a long long time since they've done anything interesting. Their last top-10 finish was in 2001 for chrissake.

OU can always pull DFW recruits - they're right there and play a bunch of games in Texas.

If anyone can do it at UNL, it's Frost, but I don't see them pulling high-end national recruits from DFW like they did make in their Big XII days, and their new conference mates don't replace that. At best, they might settle into a Michigan State-like occasional relevance. Not exactly the thing that sustains being called a blueblood.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rick Fuckin’ Dalton said:

Now that we have Herb Hand I hope we never lose anymore OL to Stanford. When we lost Walker Little to them in the 2018 class I was shocked

From what little I've read, and by that I do mean little ... he hasn't exactly been tearing it up over at Stanford. I've posted this before, but Warehime recruited Samuel Cosmi and Junior Angilau amongst others. He seems to evaluate well. Everyone lauds the Hand hire, but there is no way of knowing how well a Hand line would have performed Herman's first season. Recall that the o-line was riddled with injuries and depth was virtually nonexistent. Tristan Nickelson was huge and looked prototypical but played like his legs were stilts equipped with two left feet. Ditto with Okafor and the offense was totally new. I doubt any OL coach would have been successful short of thunderclouds raining Herman's infamous pixie dust. Having said that, Herman felt the need to hire Hand as well he should of. The OL coaching position is crucial to Herman's survival. There can be no error and Hand is a seasoned veteran. I applaud his hire, but Warehime catches a lot of flack when the situation he walked into held little chance for success that season. To put it bluntly: OL performance bad therefore Warehime must be bad is kind of simplistic fan knee-jerk logic. As to his value now, that's debatable with many considering him dead weight from a recruiting standpoint. I'm not so sure that's a valid assessment. We seem to be getting TE's and one would think a former OL coach can handle that responsibility.

As for Stanford, if we are competing for a truly bright OL prospect with academics as a high priority, they will always be a threat. Especially when Stanford is playing well and placing OL in the NFL while Texas is sucking hind teat.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, sith_horn said:

From what little I've read, and by that I do mean little ... he hasn't exactly been tearing it up over at Stanford.

https://gostanford.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=16058

Career Accolades
• 2018 Pac-12 All-Academic honorable mention
• 2018 All-Pac-12 first team
• 2017 All-Pac-12 honorable mention
• 2017 Pac-12 Freshman Offensive Co-Player of the Year
• 2017 ESPN Freshman All-America
• Stanford's first true freshman to start at left tackle since 2000 (Kirk Chambers)

• Like 3

Career Accolades
• Stanford's first true freshman to start at left tackle since 2000 (Kirk Chambers)

Yeah, but like...besides that...
  • Like 3

Career Accolades

Underachiever.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Career Accolades

I stand corrected. In my defense, I did preface and emphasize I'd read little. Essentially fan posts I never bothered to vet. I stand by the rest of my comment though.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

JFC the new posters are multiplying. It’s like every new poster emboldens other lurkers to sign up. I’m thinking we need to fatwa a few just to stem the tide of new handles and shifty posts.

I'm of the opinion that it's just 1-2 people with multiple handles that know exactly what they're doing. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

A&M at number 2? Have they always been near the top in revenue or did they get a one year bump for some reason? As I recall, it's long been Texas and tOSU at the top, but I don't recall seeing aggy up there.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 11

34 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

IP ban everybody with less than 1162 posts

Surly believes in cultivating new talent for the recruiting board since 90% are close to end of life.  Unfortunately the ramp is pretty tough on legacy posters but don't worry the new guys will turn into hardened assholes in no time and everyone can go back to questioning the character and decisions of 18 yr olds.  

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 12

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Your view of what a “top program” is and mine are simply fundamentally different. Georgia has won, what, one national title? Not in the top 10 in wins or winning percentage? Played for a title a few years ago, and so did Oregon, Virginia Tech and myriad others over the years that never really did much else. But hey, they recruit well to a nice city, so let’s give them a fucking label comparable to few who deserve it. Might as well do the same for ATM as well, since the qualifications on your end look similar. 

And anyone writing Nebraska off definitively has no fucking clue how chaos or coaching works. Humans have a hard time predicting tomorrow accurately but you guys are moving them into Yale/Minnesota also-ran status. Got it. 

Because kids today - primarily from urban backgrounds, are vetting programs on the number of aggregate titles won and their historical ranking in total wins or percentage.  Got it.  

What I also "get" is you bitching and moaning at the mention that a program such and theirs dare be mentioned in the same breath as us.  A "true" blue blood.  JFC it's this pretentious nonsense that had us wondering the fucking wilderness for the better part of a decade.  As if the mere mention of their academic and athletic success somehow diminishes ours?

Nebraska is far from a "coaching" change away from being back in the conversation of an elite program.  As Oklahoma feasted off Texas talent, NU feasted off inner-city kids and corn-fed linemen who used partial-qualifiers to bring in players who have no chance in ever seeing the field.  They are fucked seven ways to Sunday.  They have no access to talent.  They have no way to bring in sed talent.  Nor do they have a coach that has proven he can get them back even sniffing a conference.  

• Like 1