Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

Disney just needs to slow the content spigot, focus on quality not quantity like they have done Endgame. People forget and think the previous phases were all great but there were several stinkers in there with Ironman 2 +3 Thor 1 and 2 and Antman 1. Hell even Captain America 1 and Avengers 2 were average 

21 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

If you are on the fence about seeing this in theaters, the scenes with Brie Larson in the white sleeveless sports top are worth catching on a big screen.  

Say what you want about her but she has a fantastic rack. Best thing about Kong Skull Island (another mediocre action movie with Brie Larson and Sam Jackson). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:40 PM, Buzzrock said:

Say what you want about her but she has a fantastic rack. Best thing about Kong Skull Island (another mediocre action movie with Brie Larson and Sam Jackson). 

We actually just started a monsterverse watch. I’d never seen any since black Jack Kong. Kids really enjoyed them, especially Kong. They also thought we were starting a marvel movie. 

On 12/4/2023 at 10:16 PM, BeardIP said:

Yea Eternals is the worst of them all.

I actually did a rewatch a few months back and it was better than I remembered it.  I appreciated that Chao tried to do something different within the framework of the Marvel method.  

For me, Ant Man 3 takes the prize for worst.  And it’s not terrible as a film, but it’s a bad Ant Man film and as a sequel to the first two.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Hard to argue this point. Ant-Man 3 might've been the true beginning of the end. I still maintain it's that you just simply cannot top Endgame now. I think we'll see some decent attempts and there will be enjoyable content like Deadpool 3. 

DB3 is gonna print money.  It'll deconstruct all the post-EG tropes.  Add in a comedic depiction of Wolverine, and the fact it's the only Marvel movie of 2024 and there you go.

On 12/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Jonathan Majors is done as Kang - lot of text messages submitted to the court.

Marvel is workshopping how to handle it.  This might be The Way.

GA2n1DnWAAA8x1f?format=jpg&name=small

They just have to replace him with another actor, right? Too much potential with the Kang storyline and they're too far into it. I think the audience would be fine with a switch in this case 

18 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

They just have to replace him with another actor, right? Too much potential with the Kang storyline and they're too far into it. I think the audience would be fine with a switch in this case 

It's a messy story that's too confusing.  They would be better off coming up with something else.  When you play out a shitty story over multiple movies, you end up with things like the last Star Wars trilogy.  They are being given an out and need to take it.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2023 at 8:37 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Katfid - “What switch?, That’s not the same guy??”

17 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's a messy story that's too confusing.  

It's not just confusing but the multiverse renders all events inconsequential.  No one cares if a character dies since there's just another variant to be pulled from another universe.  Kang can be defeated by ants but here's another infinite number of Kangs waiting in the wings. Who cares.

Maybe the one story that could've been good would've been a Multiverse version of Civil War. Have the bizzarro Avengers from another universe attempting to defeat our Avengers because they breached the multiverse.  That would've probably sucked too. 

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

It's not just confusing but the multiverse renders all events inconsequential.  No one cares if a character dies since there's just another variant to be pulled from another universe.  Kang can be defeated by ants but here's another infinite number of Kangs waiting in the wings. Who cares.

Maybe the one story that could've been good would've been a Multiverse version of Civil War. Have the bizzarro Avengers from another universe attempting to defeat our Avengers because they breached the multiverse.  That would've probably sucked too. 

Yeah the multiverse itself is the problem for me.  It plays differently in movies, than it ever did in the comic books.

I really just don't care about individual characters because there's an infinite number of replacements for them.  Sure, some of them might only be 2D or might be pigs, but there's still plenty of them out there.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, LCHorn said:

I actually did a rewatch a few months back and it was better than I remembered it.  I appreciated that Chao tried to do something different within the framework of the Marvel method.  

*Zhao

There are rumors that production on Eternals was a nightmare and she burned a lot of bridges. If the rumors are to be believed Zhao will likely never work with Disney again. But who knows what the truth is.

For me, Thor Love and Thunder was when I was out. That movie made me feel vicarious embarrassment for Disney.

5 minutes ago, ajax said:

*Zhao

There are rumors that production on Eternals was a nightmare and she burned a lot of bridges. If the rumors are to be believed Zhao will likely never work with Disney again. But who knows what the truth is.

For me, Thor Love and Thunder was when I was out. That movie made me feel vicarious embarrassment for Disney.

Thanks for the correction.  

I don’t think Marvel would be likely to go down that road again, either.  These productions are years in the making and I’m sure they were feeling invulnerable after End Game.  

It’s also telling they haven’t tried to use any of those characters elsewhere, God knows there‘s a ton of them.  

I thought Love and Thunder was too discordant (Waititi lost the balance) and as a result the comedy didn’t mesh with the pathos.  I thought it was satisfactory if too cute and appreciated, too, just the attempt to do something a little more personal to the filmmaker’s vision even if it didn’t wholly work.  That said, I can’t bring myself to rewatch it. 

I am very interested to see where they go from here because I don’t think the most common complaints (“they keep making the same movie” and “you have to have watched 30 movies and 5 TV shows to know what’s going on”) are valid.  What I see is a production company intentionally trying to diversify and expand the kind of stories they want to tell and the market is punishing them for it.*

*also, they have been fucked by Disney+

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Waititi lost the balance

Yeah, it's interesting that of the two big name directors who had more autonomy (Waititi and Gunn) it was Waititi who went off the deep end of silliness. And I loved Jojo Rabbit. Gunn stuck to his fundamentals and delivered a fantastic Guardians 3.

Waititi needs a babysitter and he can make a great movie.

On 12/11/2023 at 1:05 PM, kevwun said:

It's a messy story that's too confusing.  They would be better off coming up with something else.  When you play out a shitty story over multiple movies, you end up with things like the last Star Wars trilogy.  They are being given an out and need to take it.

Yeah, actually agree with you and others who have voiced the same in this thread. Started thinking about it, and quantumania, multiverse of madness, and most productions that deals heavily with Kang are terrible. Even Loki, which I loved, was filled with a lot of Jagsfansgif moments. 

That's a really good point.  Loki season 2 was really good and it was still confusing as fuck at times.  Time travel + the multiverse means you have to take notes to follow what the hell is happening.  It's when I decided others were right that the multiverse just isn't gonna work.

Edited by kevwun

I used to be a huge Marvel fan boy. Then their products just became shit. I didn't finish She Hulk. Never finished Marvel girl or whatever that series was. Unfortunately watched every stupid fucking episode of Nick Fury shit. Haven't watched any of the Loki 2. No desire to watch The Marvels. This whole multiverse thing has lost me. 

At this point, I'm going to heed my lesson learned from GoT. I am not watching anymore Marvel shit until the entire thing is resolved and read the reviews to see if going back to watch shit is worth my time. Life's too short to watch shitty TV.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

So apparently the driver said the accuser was the aggressor, and there is surveillance video of Majors running away from her over quite a few blocks (somebody said it was 6-7).

Barry Sanders? More like prime Leon O'Neal.