Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

I have a mental list of honey-dos for the weekend and small projects I want to get done around the house.  Mrs. NNM has another.  We have not aligned these lists.  

I'm working away in my office on some work issues.  She is working cleaning all of our son's stuff out a spare bedroom.  He's married now, so we can't really call it "NNM Jr's room" anymore, and we need it occasionally for other guests.  There's an outlet cover that needs to be replaced.  Mrs. NNM asks if I can take a couple of minutes and swap a new one on.  No problem.  Except that the box is recessed far enough that the regular cover screws don't work, and the longer screws require drilling out the little posts in the box, and two other outlet covers were also cracked.  And one in the mud room.  And one in the guest cabin.  All of which required various levels of fixing this or that, repeated trips to the garage for another screwdriver, or the drill, or a light, etc., etc.  

So for the last two hours, instead of doing what I thought I would be doing, I got dragged into something that she thought I should be doing.  

/Rant over/

Lesson:  align on what you want to get done, otherwise you'll both be frustrated.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, nnm said:

I have a mental list of honey-dos for the weekend and small projects I want to get done around the house.  Mrs. NNM has another.  We have not aligned these lists.  

I'm working away in my office on some work issues.  She is working cleaning all of our son's stuff out a spare bedroom.  He's married now, so we can't really call it "NNM Jr's room" anymore, and we need it occasionally for other guests.  There's an outlet cover that needs to be replaced.  Mrs. NNM asks if I can take a couple of minutes and swap a new one on.  No problem.  Except that the box is recessed far enough that the regular cover screws don't work, and the longer screws require drilling out the little posts in the box, and two other outlet covers were also cracked.  And one in the mud room.  And one in the guest cabin.  All of which required various levels of fixing this or that, repeated trips to the garage for another screwdriver, or the drill, or a light, etc., etc.  

So for the last two hours, instead of doing what I thought I would be doing, I got dragged into something that she thought I should be doing.  

/Rant over/

Lesson:  align on what you want to get done, otherwise you'll both be frustrated.  

In case you run into this again:

ReceptXtenders 3/4 in. 1-Gang Electrical Receptacle Box Extension Ring 00006 - The Home Depot

CANTEX Plastic Old Work Box Extender Electrical Box in the Electrical Boxes department at Lowes.com

spacer.png

And if you strip out one of the holes in an electrical box and don't want to replace the whole damn thing / mess with your wiring in the box, these things or one of the many different variations ( I think I bought something called Gclips years ago) can work wonders:

RACO 8988RAC Outlet Repair Clip for Plastic Electric Boxes, 10 pcs. per Bag - Amazon.com

spacer.png

However, none of these solutions solve your underlying issue / the root cause of your problems.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

ReceptXtenders 3/4 in. 1-Gang Electrical Receptacle Box Extension Ring 00006 - The Home Depot

CANTEX Plastic Old Work Box Extender Electrical Box in the Electrical Boxes department at Lowes.com

spacer.png

And if you strip out one of the holes in an electrical box and don't want to replace the whole damn thing / mess with your wiring in the box, these things or one of the many different variations ( I think I bought something called Gclips years ago) can work wonders:

RACO 8988RAC Outlet Repair Clip for Plastic Electric Boxes, 10 pcs. per Bag - Amazon.com

spacer.png

However, none of these solutions solve your underlying issue / the root cause of your problems.

That's awesome.  Thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Which was not being able to say no

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So, we've been having an issue with the sink backing up. I've dumped pretty much every kind of liquid into it to try and get it flowing properly to no avail. I'm cheap, so I prefer to not have to pay a plumber. All the while she complains about how I don't care to fix the issue.

Anyhow, we decide to make tacos tonight, but we need taco seasoning. So I run to the store to get some while she browns the meat. I get home to find the ground meat suspended above the sink in a colander. She has apparently been draining the grease from cooked meat straight down the sink drain this whole time. Fml.

The last plumber I hired told me that women putting anything down the garbage disposal has put 4 of his kids through college.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So, we've been having an issue with the sink backing up. I've dumped pretty much every kind of liquid into it to try and get it flowing properly to no avail. I'm cheap, so I prefer to not have to pay a plumber. All the while she complains about how I don't care to fix the issue.

Anyhow, we decide to make tacos tonight, but we need taco seasoning. So I run to the store to get some while she browns the meat. I get home to find the ground meat suspended above the sink in a colander. She has apparently been draining the grease from cooked meat straight down the sink drain this whole time. Fml.

Life hack going forward. Shape a small cup-like thing with tinfoil in your disposal drain. Pour grease into that cup. Close tinfoil up, let it cool, put it in the trash. 
No need for a nasty grease jar, etc. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

a few years into marriage mine put about 3/4 of a lasagna down the disposal.   Had to rent a power snake from the local rental yard.

My displeasure was massively amplified when she sauntered into the kitchen and bellowed, "oh my god that stinks" as I ran the snake up and down the drain line half a dozen times.

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:11 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

During the cold snap last week my wife opened up all the cabinets in our bathrooms.  All of which are on interior walls with rooms on the other side.  Also the kitchen faucet cabinets.  Which are on an island.  At this point in life I decided fuck it, it’s not hurting anything so I kept my mouth shut.  Pick your battles.

some years back my wife decided we needed to drip a faucet. So she dripped the hot water. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

I have a house in the country that has some interesting design aspects. The hot water flows along several exterior walls to several places until it finally gets to the kitchen. When we have a hard freeze, you’d better believe I drip both. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, nnm said:

I have a house in the country that has some interesting design aspects. The hot water flows along several exterior walls to several places until it finally gets to the kitchen. When we have a hard freeze, you’d better believe I drip both. 

Well good on you for taking care of business, but I’d be angry at the Aggy who designed the plumbing.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nnm said:

Interesting.  I'm curious if the dripping hot water line staying warm would heat the wall cavity enough to keep the cold line from freezing.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Interesting.  I'm curious if the dripping hot water line staying warm would heat the wall cavity enough to keep the cold line from freezing.

Well, the kitchen sink is at the end of the line. The first hard freeze we had after we bought the house and finished renovations in 2021, both hot and cold water lines were frozen at that tap. The kitchen wall is a north-facing wall. Every freeze since then, I’ve left that cabinet open, a tiny bit of water dripping with the handle halfway between hot and cold, and a space heater blowing into the under-sink cabinet. 

8 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Illinois? I thought Chicago was a state.

When I was in college I had been dating my girlfriend from HS for almost 5 years.  She was pretty and kind and could do book smart for class, but she had no common sense or general knowledge she sought.  The lack of common sense got to be pretty grating and I was on the verge of ending it.  Had a roomate come home after working for Boeing for a semester internship. 
Her:  "Where have you been?"
Him: "St. Louis for the semester for an internship"
Her: "St. Louis, Chicago?"
Him: "No"
Me:  "We have to talk"

That was the final straw.  Seems petty but it was a long time building.  She's still a sweet person and I hope she's doing well out there with someone else dealing with that shit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:49 AM, conVINCEd said:

The last plumber I hired told me that women putting anything down the garbage disposal has put 4 of his kids through college.

I was able to fix both myself, but I've taken out a penny lodges in the blades. And somehow an avocado seed.....

On 2/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, nnm said:

Life hack going forward. Shape a small cup-like thing with tinfoil in your disposal drain. Pour grease into that cup. Close tinfoil up, let it cool, put it in the trash. 

I either pour it in my dogs dry food. Or just pour in the yard. But I've done the foil thing before.

Used to the coffee can, but I don't think any coffee comes in actual metal containers anymore. Maybe Cafe DuMond?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

some years back my wife decided we needed to drip a faucet. So she dripped the hot water. 

You're wrong on this one.  We have attic water heaters, and they still need the water flowing through the cold side to prevent them from freezing up, too.  I try to run both if possible, but at least one faucet on either side of the house is running the hot side.

Granted, we're in central Texas, so our building codes don't require the same amount of forethought in plumbing they use up north (WH in the basement, insulating the supply and feed lines, etc.)

57 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I either pour it in my dogs dry food. Or just pour in the yard. But I've done the foil thing before.

Used to the coffee can, but I don't think any coffee comes in actual metal containers anymore. Maybe Cafe DuMond?

My go-to.  And it does come in a metal can. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Empty quart paint can from Lowe's.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

You're wrong on this one.  We have attic water heaters, and they still need the water flowing through the cold side to prevent them from freezing up, too.  I try to run both if possible, but at least one faucet on either side of the house is running the hot side.

Granted, we're in central Texas, so our building codes don't require the same amount of forethought in plumbing they use up north (WH in the basement, insulating the supply and feed lines, etc.)

Attic water heaters are the stupidest design feature since the short TAMU competition swimming pool or staircase to nowhere.  

Water heaters are almost guaranteed to fail at about 10 years of age and start leaking, usually when the drain for the drip pan also happens to be clogged. Consequently, every house with an attic water heater will at some point be, at a minimum, repainting a ceiling, and most likely doing a fair amount of drywall work every ten years. All to save 2 square feet of space in a garage.

Makes me ragey.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, nnm said:

Attic water heaters are the stupidest design feature since the short TAMU competition swimming pool or staircase to nowhere.  

Water heaters are almost guaranteed to fail at about 10 years of age and start leaking, usually when the drain for the drip pan also happens to be clogged. Consequently, every house with an attic water heater will at some point be, at a minimum, repainting a ceiling, and most likely doing a fair amount of drywall work every ten years. All to save 2 square feet of space in a garage.

Makes me ragey.

Don't disagree.  And on top of that, they have changed the dimentions of the larger water heaters, so you can't put a 55 gallon tank in the attic since it's squattier than it used to be.  And don't forget, the sediment in the tank that can't be removed easily adds another 50+ lbs of crap you have to haul down from the attic. 

Unfortunately in our case, they put them up there because there was no utility closet in the house, and the garage wasn't an option.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, uoftorange said:

When I was in college I had been dating my girlfriend from HS for almost 5 years.  She was pretty and kind and could do book smart for class, but she had no common sense or general knowledge she sought.  The lack of common sense got to be pretty grating and I was on the verge of ending it.  Had a roomate come home after working for Boeing for a semester internship. 
Her:  "Where have you been?"
Him: "St. Louis for the semester for an internship"
Her: "St. Louis, Chicago?"
Him: "No"
Me:  "We have to talk"

That was the final straw.  Seems petty but it was a long time building.  She's still a sweet person and I hope she's doing well out there with someone else dealing with that shit

I have never, ever dated/married a woman that had a clue about directions or US/World Geography. Women with any knowledge of those are unicorns.

That's like breaking up with a woman because she doesn't recognize Simpsons quotes.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

Don't disagree.  And on top of that, they have changed the dimentions of the larger water heaters, so you can't put a 55 gallon tank in the attic since it's squattier than it used to be.  And don't forget, the sediment in the tank that can't be removed easily adds another 50+ lbs of crap you have to haul down from the attic. 

Unfortunately in our case, they put them up there because there was no utility closet in the house, and the garage wasn't an option.

Most people do do this but you should drain your tanks yearly.  I just drained both of mine last weekend that were 12 months old and had a decent amount of sediment already.  Check the anode rods as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Most people do do this but you should drain your tanks yearly.  I just drained both of mine last weekend that were 12 months old and had a decent amount of sediment already.  Check the anode rods as well.  

I need to check the anode rods for sure. And considering switching the drain valves to a larger ball valve next go-round to help get all the sediment out during the draining process.  Tanks are old, through, were in the house when we bought it, and likely around 7-10 years old now.  Living on borrowed time.  /hijack

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:31 PM, Superhero said:

Dear Abby,

Our sex life is pretty predictable... not in the sense of frequency, but in what happens first, second, etc.

Recently she got mad about something and said she's done sucking dick, period. 

Should I leave her now? Or at least wait until the kids are off to college?

Well well, look who's back to her old ways.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 2/6/2024 at 11:16 AM, nnm said:

Mrs. Brat has always used old coffee cans to pour cooking grease in, then freezes it to throw out in the garbage when full.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

I have never, ever dated/married a woman that had a clue about directions or US/World Geography. Women with any knowledge of those are unicorns.

That's like breaking up with a woman because she doesn't recognize Simpsons quotes.

Mrs. Brat’s best friend majored in geography at UT, but she dropped out one semester before graduation to get married (knocked up).

18 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat has always used old coffee cans to pour cooking grease in, then freezes it to throw out in the garbage when full.

This is the way.  We'll use coffee cans or even a glass jar.  Freezing keeps the smell down to nothing. 

On 2/8/2024 at 3:05 PM, PvilleStang said:

I need to check the anode rods for sure. And considering switching the drain valves to a larger ball valve next go-round to help get all the sediment out during the draining process.  Tanks are old, through, were in the house when we bought it, and likely around 7-10 years old now.  Living on borrowed time.  /hijack

We lost our hot water heater to snowpocalypse. When I bought the new one I replaced the cheap plastic valve with a brass ball valve. The sediment won't plug the valve and it drains in minutes.