Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

29 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Secrant and EKG take on why aggy did so well in recruiting:

It's a perfect storm. 

First off as much as folks here don't like to talk about it A&M is the biggest school in the SEC, is a fantastic school academically, has the largest stadium with an amazing environment, and is in a great location. A&M has been investing BIG in facilities and pretty much everything related to football since joining the SEC, they are certainly equal to anyone. They also refined the recruiting process and experience for players to a science and have unlimited budget for it. 

A&M went to the Orange Bowl and finished #4 the prior year which got most of these guys interested originally. 

This is a ridiculous year for talent in Texas and especially the Houston area. In the end most kids would rather be an hour from home rather than having to fly to school. 

A&M got a few big early commits including Bobby Taylor who turned into the best recruiter Jimbo could ask for, he's been recruiting harder than our coaches. 

Last Summer we had a BBQ/Pool Party where we got 10 of these guys on campus, most of which had not seriously considered A&M prior, and it was a huge hit. 

A&M had a disappointing season overall but from a recruits perspective all 4 of our losses were winnable games that one or two players could have made the difference, especially better QB play. 

We managed to put all our chips in the middle for the Bama game and got some big guys to come, especially Nolen who we were on the outside looking in. Literally was the best recruiting event you can imagine for obvious reasons and it turned the tide (unintentional pun). 

We followed up the Bama game with huge recruiting weekends for Auburn and South Carolina that also had great environments. 

LSU had a bad season and coaching change. Texas had a terrible season. OU had a complete disaster with the Riley fiasco. That left A&M with really just Bama and UGA to compete with for a lot of recruits and A&M beat Bama and had momentum. A&M all of a sudden became the cool new choice. 

I'm also sure we are throwing around NIL money as much as any other big boy school. I find it almost humorous though when folks act like A&M is spending more than Bama or UGA or Texas or LSU or Ohio State and that's why recruits are coming there there though. A 5 Star is going to get paid anywhere they go. Maybe A&M offered more, maybe not, it's just not likely the factor most think. 

Of course I'm guessing most of the responses will be about $$$$ or Milkmen or something.

I don't go to SECrant but since you posted this I decided to check that site out real quick.  It seems like most of the recruiting threads are all Aggies talking about how great they are.  I did not see a bunch of posts from other SEC school fans on there unless I missed something.  oh, and the posts I read show that the Ags are delusional about what is going on.  Not shocking, I know.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

It's a perfect storm. 

First off as much as folks here don't like to talk about it A&M is the biggest school in the SEC, is a fantastic school academically, has the largest stadium with an amazing environment, and is in a great location. A&M has been investing BIG in facilities and pretty much everything related to football since joining the SEC, they are certainly equal to anyone. They also refined the recruiting process and experience for players to a science and have unlimited budget for it. 

A&M went to the Orange Bowl and finished #4 the prior year which got most of these guys interested originally. 

This is a ridiculous year for talent in Texas and especially the Houston area. In the end most kids would rather be an hour from home rather than having to fly to school. 

A&M got a few big early commits including Bobby Taylor who turned into the best recruiter Jimbo could ask for, he's been recruiting harder than our coaches. 

Last Summer we had a BBQ/Pool Party where we got 10 of these guys on campus, most of which had not seriously considered A&M prior, and it was a huge hit. 

A&M had a disappointing season overall but from a recruits perspective all 4 of our losses were winnable games that one or two players could have made the difference, especially better QB play. 

We managed to put all our chips in the middle for the Bama game and got some big guys to come, especially Nolen who we were on the outside looking in. Literally was the best recruiting event you can imagine for obvious reasons and it turned the tide (unintentional pun). 

We followed up the Bama game with huge recruiting weekends for Auburn and South Carolina that also had great environments. 

LSU had a bad season and coaching change. Texas had a terrible season. OU had a complete disaster with the Riley fiasco. That left A&M with really just Bama and UGA to compete with for a lot of recruits and A&M beat Bama and had momentum. A&M all of a sudden became the cool new choice. 

I'm also sure we are throwing around NIL money as much as any other big boy school. I find it almost humorous though when folks act like A&M is spending more than Bama or UGA or Texas or LSU or Ohio State and that's why recruits are coming there there though. A 5 Star is going to get paid anywhere they go. Maybe A&M offered more, maybe not, it's just not likely the factor most think. 

Of course I'm guessing most of the responses will be about $$$$ or Milkmen or something.

You just lit up the Randolph Duke bat signal.

Fantastic academically?

Great location?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Getafix said:

Here are three things I'll be keeping a watch on, 

- DC hire

- QB play (do they get one whom they can count on to win them multiple games against tough opponents?  Is Conner Weigman that guy?)

- OL development 

They could be average in some areas, but if they're significantly deficient in any of the above, that would likely prevent them from going all the way to a championship.  Pull off an upset or two, but not go all the way.

In order to win an NC, they will still have to likely win 4 tough games - Bama, Georgia (in the near term) in the SEC championship game, and two playoff games.  (And pretty soon, we could be in a similar or more challenging situation ... )

In the interim, lets focus on getting better ourselves. 

I detest A&M's culture, and find it frustrating that I have to think about the Aggies at all, but here we are.

- DC hire: The stacking of top classes on top of each other is going to amplify their success, especially on the DL. I worry that the new DC's going to be able to stop the run with a light box and get pressure with 4 or 5 just because of overwhelming talent. This is obvious to coaches, so they'll likely get a good DC, and he'll look like a genius because a logerithmic talent advantage is hard to screw up.
Rays of hope:
 > They still do have to hire a DC, and they could do something dumb like hire an NFL guy who uses hieroglyphs signal in calls.
 > They've taken an NFL approach to defensive roster construction with resources mostly dedicated to the DL. That works in the NFL because the baseline for LB and DB play is so high. Most of their superior talent on the back end is in the 2022 class, and freshmen remain freshmen.
 > They've taken 18 DL in the last 3 classes. Five 0-1 tech, six 3-tech, seven (!) 5+ tech. Not all of these guys are going to be able to see the field. They're going to see some attrition soon.

- QB play: Their floor has been raised considerably with addition of Max Johnson. If you watched him this year, he's a plus college QB. He's better than whomever Georgia's roled out since Aaron Murray probably, and he won't lose games for them. He's not Bryce Young or Mack Jones, but the likelihood that he's going to give away a game Ole Miss or Tennessee is low.
Rays of hope:
 > Jimbo's still running the offense.
 > Johnson's not a generational QB, but he's going to have Jimbo's trust and be around for possibly 2 years. Weigman could get impatient and portal or play baseball.

- OL development: They've got a good coach, they've recruited well, and they're returning the majority of their line. Despite having 2 frosh starters, they ran the ball reasonably well vs SEC teams.
Ray of hope:
 > One thing to monitor is that the A&M lost their S&C coach, Jerry Schmidt, who went back to OU. Schimdt is an ass, and drove off a lot of OL over his 20 years at OU. But he was also at least partially responsible for OU having good to great OL consistently over almost two decades. If they get Tommy Moffitt, this probably goes from a negative to a plus for the Aggies.

I think their window is the next 2-3 years. They have a relatively easy out of conference marquee opponent, Miami, in 2022 and 2023. Then ND comes on the schedule. Freeman may have the Irish cooking by then, and UT and OU may replace Vandy and South Carolina.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Sabalo said:

Dark mode anyone?

<quoted>

It's a perfect storm. 

8 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

<quoted>

It's a perfect storm. 

Thanks @ATXbronco. @viper was right.

1 hour ago, ATXbronco said:

<quoted>

It's a perfect storm. 

If that's what you want to believe, go for it

29 minutes ago, XForce said:

With all of that defensive talent and Patterson being available, is there a reason why he would discuss being an Analyst at Texas and not interviewing for DC at A&M? Neither school runs 4-2-5 and given the choice I’d take him over PK. 

1. He'd have to live in College Station.

2. His relationship with CDC.

3. He'd have to be around aggys all the time.

4. He's scared to death that somebody might replace his mayonnaise bucket with a jizz jar.

mayo_bucket.thumb.jpg.6a2db090bf69d998439135db1730245a.jpg

44 minutes ago, XForce said:

With all of that defensive talent and Patterson being available, is there a reason why he would discuss being an Analyst at Texas and not interviewing for DC at A&M? Neither school runs 4-2-5 and given the choice I’d take him over PK. 

Because analyst says "I'm taking some time off to evaluate my options" and DC says "I couldn't get a head coach job." Not sure if that is how he thinks but it's a plausible thought process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I'm probably wrong but imo Henson knows the Texas OL NIL combined with Flood was going to make his job near impossible so jumping on SC now was a no brainer. 

tbh I doubt that played into it at all. USC is just a much better job with a better route to making the playoffs and LA is a much better city.

• Hook 'Em 2

So, SI is reporting that Henson will have the OC title at USC. Makes plenty of sense to take that jump, and I’m sure he’ll be mostly responsible for OL in that role. 

https://www.si.com/college/tamu/football/aggies-ol-coach-josh-henson-hired-usc-offensive-coordinator

Serious question— what does an OC working for a Riley, or for that matter Dickey for Fisher DO? Those HCs call plays and are hands on. Do the OCs just take work away from a position coach? What is the value they bring for the price tag.

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Serious question— what does an OC working for a Riley, or for that matter Dickey for Fisher DO? Those HCs call plays and are hands on. Do the OCs just take work away from a position coach? What is the value they bring for the price tag.

The exact same thing our current OL coach does?

4 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So, SI is reporting that Henson will have the OC title at USC. Makes plenty of sense to take that jump, and I’m sure he’ll be mostly responsible for OL in that role. 

https://www.si.com/college/tamu/football/aggies-ol-coach-josh-henson-hired-usc-offensive-coordinator

Probably the best hire for Riley so far.

Riley's best skill is marrying run/pass counters and using them to create explosive plays. His run game had become stale at OU. Having a new, good run game coordinator may revitalize his run game concepts. I think Riley will still want to call plays.

Edited by quigley

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

So apparently they've been selling recruits on a Robinson and Santucci Co-DC pairing. They're either lying to recruits or about to downgrade significantly at DC. 

https://www.secrant.com/rant/texas-a-m-sports/new-codcs---robinson-and-santucci/100252459/

They may have needed to elevated Robinson to keep him. He's parlayed their bag game into one of the greatest recruiting years in history (on paper).

I agree with one of the writers on that board that pairing Robinson with an old head would be a better move. Ted Roof anyone?

Edited by quigley

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Take a minute amount of heat off the HC when his shitty offense is to blame for losses. At least was the case earlier this year wrt Dickey on Txaggy. 

If I recall many times you’re giving them the tag to justify a bigger salary and a title bump, even if their role isn’t that of a traditional OC. I think Flood fits this category as well.

8 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

tbh I doubt that played into it at all. USC is just a much better job with a better route to making the playoffs and LA is a much better city.

No doubt about that too. Just wonder if the OL NIL will affect their hire combined with the fact Texas and OU will be breathing down their neck 

8 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Same thing Flood does.