Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, TexMexBuddha said:
2 hours ago, Bevo said:
I like Lucy's Chorizo Poblano brown gravy on my CFS and mashed potatoes. It makes the chicken taste especially yummy.

That is a tasty one too. Is it always on menu now? I somehow miss the days it's available.

The CFS is always on the menu but you have to order the chorizo gravy separately. I think the standard is a cream Pearl gravy.

• Hook 'Em 1

Texas Longhorns' ten recruitments that matter most

Gerry Hamilton•about 1 hour

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Malik Muhammad, Billy Walton, Johntay Cook (Gerry Hamilton/IT)

The Texas Longhorns have a number of key recruitments that are in the balance with 50 days until the signing period begins on December 21.

Steve Sarkisian and staff are working to fill as many remaining needs as possible in the high school ranks, while fending off serious competition for a few commitments.

When looking at the ten recruitments that matter most, it’s pretty simple. Impact freshman at positions of need, and premium positions make up most of this list. Plus, all of these recruitments require a look ahead at the move to the physically taxing interiors up-and-down the SEC.

Malik Muhammad, CB, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff

The Longhorn commitment and On3 Consensus 4-star remains a solid verbal with the late push from Alabama hurdle remaining. Muhammad made an official visit to Texas A&M over the weekend and was hosted by Aggie freshman wide receiver Evan Stewart. That alone is fun conversation on Inside Texas. But both Eric Nahlin and myself have heard that the visit didn’t move the needle with Muhammad in terms of his Texas commitment. The school that the Horns must keep at bay is in Tuscaloosa. Muhammad is a premium position recruit that is expected to be an impact player. That alone places him at the top of the list considering the competition.

Colton Vasek, EDGE, Austin (Texas) Westlake

The On3 Consensus 4-star and Oklahoma verbal remains very much in play for the Longhorns. In fact, if Vasek was not committed right now I would probably place an On3 RPM for the Longhorns. But this recruitment is different due to being an Oklahoma soft commitment. The Texas staff will continue to chip away until the 6-foot-5.5, 235-pound non-stop motor EDGE prospect is ready to make a final decision. The next key question with Vasek’s recruitment will be around the TCU game. Does he take in one more Texas game this season? We shall see.

Cedric Baxter, RB, Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater

The nation’s No. 1 ranked running back and Texas commitment will be heavily pursued by Florida State and Florida until the ink is dry. And it absolutely should be that way. If it wasn’t, those staffs should be questioned. Tashard Choice is the key for Texas with Baxter. And that will not change. Texas just needs to stay the course here. Baxter is an impact player for the Longhorns and a near perfect scheme fit. And Cedric knows it.

Sydir Mitchell, DL, Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic

The Texas commitment is going to be an impact player in year one. Make no mistake. And he’s being treated as such by the Longhorn staff. The 6-foot-5, 335-pounder has the look of a future NFL draft pick on senior video, and that has kept Georgia, Miami, Texas A&M and others in hot pursuit. Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis was at Mitchell’s game Saturday. Mitchell is solid to Texas, but has to be recruited through the whistle.

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake

The Notre Dame 4-star commitment is a near perfect replacement for Jordan Whittington, and is a better natural wide receiver. The hyper competitive multi-sport star is a recruitment Steve Sarkisian and staff need to win, period. Greathouse has the ability to be an impact freshmen close to home. Or he can head to South Bend in hope of a vastly improved offense when he arrives. Texas winning out late for Vasek and Greathouse, along with signing the commitments in the class, would make the 2023 cycle a success.

David Hicks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow

A lot of Texas fans foam at the mouth at the thought of flipping Anthony Hill from Texas A&M. But it’s at the defensive line position that Texas will lose the most from following the season. That makes Hicks and others mentioned below very important for the Texas staff heading into the December signing period. The communication between Hicks and Texas has increased in the last two weeks.

Derek Williams, S, New Iberia (La.) Westgate

The Longhorns are in a few recruit through the whistle scenarios with commitments, and Williams is one of those. LSU, Miami and others will not give up on the On3 Consensus 5-star, and they wouldn’t be doing their job if they did. Williams is an impact player for the Longhorns, and a “must sign” recruit.

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

Bottom line, the 6-foot-4.5, 280-pound Deal is one of the best football prospects in Texas. Whether he ends up on the defensive line or offensive line long term doesn’t matter. If Deal ends up being a really good player over the ball on defense, good. If he ends up being an NFL prospect as an interior offensive lineman, great. Either way, he’s a guy you want in the program. Texas is recruiting him in that manner. TCU, and Georgia would love to beat out the slightly favored Longhorns. Deal will make his final official visit to Texas November 12, assuming the playoff schedule allows that date to happen.

Anthony Hill, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan

Make no mistake, the Longhorns would relish a flip of the On3 Consensus 5-star from the Aggies. And the communication between Hill and family, and the Texas staff continues. While defensive line recruiting is imperative to close out the 2023 class, Hill is a multi-year starting level linebacker prospect. And one that would be an upgrade at the position vs. recent years in Austin.

Justin Benton, DL, Covington (Ga.) Newton

The West Virginia verbal was offered by the Longhorns on October 28, and Texas is expected to receive an official visit. That official visit is possible November 12 playoff schedule dependent for Newton High. Texas assistants Tashard Choice and Bo Davis are tag-teaming this recruitment. The Longhorns must replace at least three interior players that are off to the NFL after the season, and building that depth and versatility is huge going into the SEC. Benton is very similar to Texas sophomore Byron Murphy II.

Texas currently sports the No. 7 ranked recruiting class in the On3 Consensus team rankings.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Has NIL just killed the recruiting scene?  This falls recruiting in general seems pretty calm and uneventful for everybody.

It was because we had the huge wave of commits around Arch. We picked up something like 15 commits in a month or two. That is not normal. 

10 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Listening to this week’s Horns247 recruiting podcast & Mike Roach mentioned that the UT coaching staff is really high on the committed Hawaii LB & thinks if he played H.S. Football in Texas instead of Hawaii that he’d be considered on the same talent-level as Anthony Hill.

I think that's absurd, but I do like Lefau. He may need a season to adjust to the speed since the Hawaii ball is not exactly top shelf, but he is really instinctive and is good in space. 

Edited by Vertigo

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Isn't this someone who CTJ was really really good prospect?

30 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Looks like he got a TCU offer a week or so ago. 

Same God, but…

1) Different communication channels

2) Different drink menu

3) Different underwear

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Listening to this week’s Horns247 recruiting podcast & Mike Roach mentioned that the UT coaching staff is really high on the committed Hawaii LB & thinks if he played H.S. Football in Texas instead of Hawaii that he’d be considered on the same talent-level as Anthony Hill.

Thank you for your sacrifice. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Isn't this someone who CTJ was really really good prospect?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Several posters here will tell you that a defensive player identified by Utah's coaching staff is usually a good indication of a good prospect.

TCU and Utah want this guy and folks evaluating players for a living think the overall industry is underrating him. He'd be a last minute take that I would be all for, but it doesn't look like Texas is interested.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Goosby plays for Melissa. Not sure if they're evaluating any other prospects at the game.

Kyle Parker plays for Lovejoy. There’s also a ‘24 at each school with an offer.

https://247sports.com/player/kyle-parker-46098346/

https://247sports.com/player/payton-pierce-46111821/

https://247sports.com/player/nigel-smith-ii-46116231/

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added the ‘24 recruit profiles.
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watch. The. Tape?

David Hicks remains in contact with the Texas Longhorns

Gerry Hamilton•10 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

David Hicks Jr. (Tim Verghese/On3)

Katy, Texas – On3 Consensus 5-star defensive lineman David Hicks remains in contact with the Texas Longhorns.

The 6-foot-4, 270-pound technically advanced lineman committed to Texas A&M September 28, but that didn’t end his recruitment. The Aggies struggles on the field this season have opened the door for the competition, which includes Texas.

“I talk to Oklahoma still, Florida, Oregon and Texas.” Hicks told On3 Thursday afternoon. “I plan on maybe taking a visit to Oregon, official to Oklahoma and maybe Texas.”

The communication between Hicks and Texas never ceased following his commitment to the Aggies. And that communication has increased in recent weeks.

“Yes sir, Texas has a shot. Coach (Bo) Davis is a really good coach. And Coach Sark is a really good coach. Being able to play for two really good coaches, and two really good minds.”

Hicks has spoken with Bo Davis twice this week, including Wednesday night.

“I talked to Coach Bo Davis last night (Wednesday). He’s a really good guy. I feel like he’s a really great coach. He’s coached a lot of really good players just looking at his background. He knows the game really well.”

The Longhorns are likely to get the No. 6 ranked prospect in the 2023 cycle on campus soon. And that could be November 12.

“Hope fully I can (visit). They want me to come up for the TCU game. I’m not sure if I can make it yet.”

Hicks feels like Texas A&M is on the cusp

Despite Hicks being a less than solid commitment to Texas A&M, the Houston area star believes the Aggies aren’t far off from seeing success on the field.

“I feel like A&M is playing really good defense, defensive line wise. I feel like they like one little thing. One missed play, one missed tackle and I just feel like they are on the cusp of making a run.”

Hicks talks to a number of members of the Aggies staff with Elijah Robinson being the key.

“I talk to Coach Nick, Coach (D.J.) Durkin and Coach (Elijah) Robinson. I talked to them all when I was up there last weekend. They are just basically telling me I can come in and play, and help the team a lot more. Just learn from some really great guys, and some great guys that are already on the team.”

Hicks on the teams in contention

Oklahoma: Really just I’m a priority guy for them. And just conversations with Coach (Todd) Bates and I, and how important I am to them. We have a really good relationship.

Oregon: I really like Oregon, especially Coach Tosh Lupoi. Tosh is a really great guy. I like being around him. He’s a really high energy guy. Really, the whole staff there. I’ve been out there twice. The last time was in June for my official visit.

Hicks is likely to make an official visit to Oklahoma November 19 when the Sooners host rival Oklahoma State. The Sooners offered Paetow teammate and fellow Texas A&M verbal Daymion Sanford Wednesday night.

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

I hate when the defense misses one little play and gives up 400 yards rushing 

He's parroting exactly what Jimbo says in his press conferences.  It's impressive Hicks can translate the words from gibberish.

last drive right there and then we went down and didnt kick the field goal felt like it was one play there that we do that it's a different ball game but we moved the ball and then they got it and the defense stopped em last drive we had two plays we called a pass but all game we had that and then the guy went inside but we practiced that but if you make one play we're right there

• Like 2
  • Haha 3