Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, Ricky's one-hitter said:

8 of our last 11 OL commits are consensus 4/5 stars (per Gerry), and that's not to say the current 3 star guys should be, or will remain there. Stacking high ceiling guys is a luxury, not a negative. 

Gracias.  Don't get me wrong, love signing lots of the big fellas but was just confused by the rankings.  I can't say I follow recruiting incredibly closely, so appreciate the reply. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why are we loading up on (what 247 says are) 3 star linemen?  They fit Flood's requirements?  Just curious why Arch wouldn't attract a much higher caliber of linemen.

Getting more developmental type guys with low floors but very high ceilings this year after last years haul.

• Hook 'Em 3

I for one have no issue with taking a higher quantity of big fellas every year who might develop than resting our laurels on 1 or 2 "saviors" who don't pan out. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Why are we loading up on (what 247 says are) 3 star linemen?  They fit Flood's requirements?  Just curious why Arch wouldn't attract a much higher caliber of linemen.

I trust Flood’s eval over some dork in his mom’s basement who was once the water boy for his high school soccer team.   

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

I trust Flood’s eval over some dork in his mom’s basement who was once the water boy for his high school soccer team.   

Good point - OL is usually described as the hardest position to evaluate.  They're most dependent on college S&C programs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, stork642 said:

Yeah, hate a bunch of 6'5/6'6 330+ lineman.  Build your team from the inside out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Eggo said:

I for one have no issue with taking a higher quantity of big fellas every year who might develop than resting our laurels on 1 or 2 "saviors" who don't pan out. 

Yeah and one of the best things about all of this is that Kyle Flood can move on to developing those 2024 relationships. The train is finally rolling downhill on OL recruiting and that’s about the best damn news we’ve had in the past decade. That’s how you get this program back to where it needs to be.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Just now, Eggo said:

don't get me wrong, i love the grinders <insert Joe Wickline fan fic here about some underrated player who knows how to shake his hand> but 10/10 times i want the Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Tyler Johnson, Patrick Hudson style of guy over anyone else. give me the guy with NFL measurables who could go in the top 5 of the draft.

side note, going back to like 2016 those are the only top 50 OL we have recruited so not sure what saviors you think Texas has recruited who play on the OL?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

don't get me wrong, i love the grinders <insert Joe Wickline fan fic here about some underrated player who knows how to shake his hand> but 10/10 times i want the Devon Campbell, Kelvin Banks, Tyler Johnson, Patrick Hudson style of guy over anyone else. give me the guy with NFL measurables who could go in the top 5 of the draft.

side note, going back to like 2016 those are the only top 50 OL we have recruited so not sure what saviors you think Texas has recruited who play on the OL?

Sort of to Eggo's point - now that these 4 have committed Texas has essentially set the floor for the OL class.  Flood can go out and recruit the BPA, whether thats Sewell, Heard, or whoever without worry about also having to recruit the Stroh's and Cojoe's.  And if he doesn't grab one he still has a great class of players who he identified early and fit his profile.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I believe OL also have a lower transfer rate, so you can stack them a bit more liberally

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Weren't Hayden Connor and Jake Majors top 50 OLs?

1 minute ago, TotallyLegit said:

I believe OL also have a lower transfer rate, so you can stack them a bit more liberally

If OL doesn’t work out you want them to transfer, because they can’t do anything else.  RB, TE, WR, LB, and DB can all play special teams.

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Chatman is a top 100 player and Goosby is likely going to make a big move up the rankings (he has NFL measureables).  Both were being pursued by the bigger programs

Stroh and Cojoe are massive humans who have the size/strength that tingle Flood's plums.  Sam Pittman from Arkansas was very much after Stroh and so was aggy despite what there propagandists are saying now. 

Arch commitment is what got these guys, who Flood identified early, to commit right now rather than dragging out their regional recruitments.

This.

Also, we haven’t seen Archeffect on the portal yet.

Plus our ‘22 line should be really good during Quinn’s final season and peaking by the time Arch takes over and these guy are ready.

If A&M took those guys two years ago we'd be killing them for taking cubes. That said, Chatman is a blue chip. Goosby was under the radar with some pretty elite measurables, and Flood was on the other two really early. This isn't like Herb Hand whiffing on seeds and stems at last call. I despise the trust the coaches mantra but I do think Flood deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially after what he did last cycle. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I generally don't subscribe to "TRUST THE COACHES!!!"... but I trust Kyle Flood.

It's not like you really have to trust Flood anyways. 

2/4 of the OL commits are going to be highly ranked. As someone already said, Goosby is going to get a big recruiting bump. Some posters are acting like all 4 are low 3 star reaches. 

5 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If A&M took those guys two years ago we'd be killing them for taking cubes. That said, Chatman is a blue chip. Goosby was under the radar with some pretty elite measurables, and Flood was on the other two really early. This isn't like Herb Hand whiffing on seeds and stems at last call. I despise the trust the coaches mantra but I do think Flood deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one, especially after what he did last cycle. 

Slight disagree.  Aggy is a few years removed from their cube recruiting - Turner did a good job moving away from Jimbo's preferred shape.

But, aggy cubes were around 6'3" and 340 pounds, with the ultimate cube being Jordan Jefferson at 6' 330 pounds.  

None of these guys fit that type.

• Hook 'Em 2

Anybody wanna talk WR?

So in the fold, we have Niblett and Wilson. We seem to be in very solid shape with Cook. Same with MH-P but given he’s a part of this class, he’ll get a shot at wideout but is still being recruited as an ATH.

Still pursue Hale, I assume? Pettaway seems hot/cold with us. Any flip contenders? Or are we done?

Just now, Don Hornleone said:

Anybody wanna talk WR?

So in the fold, we have Niblett and Wilson. We seem to be in very solid shape with Cook. Same with MH-P but given he’s a part of this class, he’ll get a shot at wideout but is still being recruited as an ATH.

Still pursue Hale, I assume? Pettaway seems hot/cold with us. Any flip contenders? Or are we done?

I wonder if getting Arch puts us back in the race for Jalen Brown, who I know was interested before but had cooled off as of recently.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Brown-46085480/

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

8 of our last 11 OL commits are consensus 4/5 stars (per Gerry), and that's not to say the current 3 star guys should be, or will remain there. Stacking high ceiling guys is a luxury, not a negative. 

they're also huge motherfuckers.  nothing to lose

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Pretty much all this. The thing is, it just ain't a great year for OL in Texas. Even the "top" guys like Sewell and Reed are good players, but not 5-star war daddies. In that situation, it's not indefensible to take a couple monster human beings (Stroh and Cojoe) and a guy in Goosby with an ideal tackle body and great measurables. Chatman is a guy you'd be happy to have in the class in any year. Flood got on these particular guys early and Arch helped him seal the deal. This is so far away from whiffing on a fucking Plan C like Ryan Lengyel.

I don't think it's realistic for the Arch commitment to immediately put us in the thick of things with national 5-star type OL. I do hope that we go big game hunting for one of those guys now that we've set a nice floor for the class, whether that means Heard or someone else.

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

None of these guys are cubes. Cubes are 6'0-6'3 guys that have no upside. Actually, Henson would have loved this class. They are freaking giants.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Anybody wanna talk WR?

Recently it was reported that the staff told a prospect on campus the number is 4. I think it's actually 5 if it includes Hale or a random numbers buster we haven't heard from yet. Jalen Brown faded and I think the Florida schools sunk their talons in.

The most likely WR class is Niblett, Wilson, Cook, and MHP with Greathouse headed to ND and continuing to work on Hale. 

Just now, Ricky&#x27;s one-hitter said:

Recently it was reported that the staff told a prospect on campus the number is 4. I think it's actually 5 if it includes Hale or a random numbers buster we haven't heard from yet. Jalen Brown faded and I think the Florida schools sunk their talons in.

The most likely WR class is Niblett, Wilson, Cook, and MHP with Greathouse headed to ND and continuing to work on Hale. 

conceding Pettaway?

14 minutes ago, Don Hornleone said:

Anybody wanna talk WR?

jalen hale looks like such a stud

• Hook 'Em 2