Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Bobby:

A week ago today, Texas had seven commitments for the class of 2023.

Six days later, the number sits at 16.

If this were a football game, it’s like Texas scoring five touchdowns in 15 minutes.

And the momentum that is building likely goes even further than that. It’s like when the opposing defense knows what plays you’re going to run, but they still can’t stop it.

You know the team is going to keep on scoring.

Well, that’s the feel right now for Texas football recruiting. They’re going to keep putting points on the board IMO.

#AllGasNoBrakes.

The Horns are no doubt capitalizing on the opportunity provided by the pledge of Arch Manning and the immense groundwork laid by the coaching staff with the class of 2023 at numerous positions.

Beyond Manning, the four offensive line commits, the pledge of Derek Williams, and even that of Billy Walton and his South Oak Cliff roots, show a long-term plan paying off.

And that brings us to where things are likely headed in the future. Not the immediate future, as in the rest of this week, but beyond that, to the many weeks and months ahead.

We’ve already seen a glimpse of where this is going.

Over the past couple of days, IT has been reporting on a number of relatively new names that Texas now has a chance at. Whether it’s an offensive lineman out of East St. Louis or a defensive back out of Georgia, Texas is widening its net for elite players and the reception has been warm.

Naturally, those recruitments will likely take more time to bear fruit.

Beyond the elite recruits many Longhorn fans are primarily focused on today, that’s where this is going. So buckle your seat belts. It should be a fun ride.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Booby’s podcast/YouTube with Nahlin yesterday said they had 7 or 8 commitment stories written up. Billy Walton was surely one of them, but that’s a lot left still to pop. 

Johntay Cook

Jordan Matthews

Derion Gullette

Mikal Harrison-Pilot

Cedric Baxter

Malik Muhammad/Braylon Shelby

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

How is it that we're expecting something from Matthews when he hasn't even OV'ed here yet? Where's the positive news coming from?

Regarding Hale, you've got to assume that the coaches and at least Arch are on the same page about who we want to target.

17 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. Thank the aggies for this one. They have him thinking about playing in Texas already, then Manning commits, so, shit, why not DM with the staff and see if they'd be interested in having him visit?

having OU have Murray and A&M have Steve Addazio on staff must be what it felt like for them when we had Mehringer orCharlie Williams on ours.

dave-chappelle.gif

• Hook 'Em 4

Arch effect aside, has an OV weekend ever gone so well?

Committed Before
Tre Wisner
Ryan Niblett
Dylan Spencer
S'Maje Burrell

Committed After
Jonah Wilson
Jaydon Chatman
Trevor Goosby
Connor Stroh
Andre Cojoe
Billy Walton
Derek Williams

Committing Shortly
Johntay Cook
Derion Gullette

Add taking the lead with Hill and Shelby, and we have the potential to close 100% of our official visitors from a single weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, tokamak said:

How is it that we're expecting something from Matthews when he hasn't even OV'ed here yet? Where's the positive news coming from?

Regarding Hale, you've got to assume that the coaches and at least Arch are on the same page about who we want to target.

He hasn't OV'd but he's visited a ton and we started recruiting him long before his other top schools. Timeline could move up because of Arch Madness and Derek Williams Jr's commitment (ie LA momentum)

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few thoughts:

1) My money is on Muhammed committing next. I don’t know, maybe Cook is the guy but it seems like he wants a little space between Manning and his announcement.

2) Does Gullette’s injury give the push for him some pause until they can see how he recovers?

3) ATM money isn’t clearing as advertised, maybe. That has ramifications forward and backwards. 

Could the backwards ramifications involve us gaining players, or is our benefit just from them possibly losing players, and the ripple of that?

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few thoughts:

1) My money is on Muhammed committing next. I don’t know, maybe Cook is the guy but it seems like he wants a little space between Manning and his announcement.

2) Does Gullette’s injury give the push for him some pause until they can see how he recovers?

3) ATM money isn’t clearing as advertised, maybe. That has ramifications forward and backwards. 

I don't think there is any way they pause on Gullette. He will be over a year removed from the injury by the time he hits campus and he is the best, or close to the best, athlete at the position in the class. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is this a rumor or smoke behind the scenes? If true it is hilarious and not surprising (maybe a little surprising it happened so quick though).

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few thoughts:

i'd still think they would go all in on Gullette, modern sports medicine has shown players bouncing back from knee injuries all the time now.  And like you have posted before, they can give a shit with numbers with the new rules in place.

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Evan Stewart finishing his college career at ATM is less likely than Ketch running an ultra marathon. 

I think Nolan is likely the first to hit the portal, there has been smoke that he wanted out since he hit campus. I will be extremely curious what happens with Stewart, both on and off the field, but you have to wonder about his mental eval. 

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Given his ranking I'm a little surprised by the teams he's considering.  He's taken OV's to North Carolina, South Carolina, Pitt, and Ohio St.  

There was the rumor earlier this year that when he arrived on campuses he was not 6'6 220 like many believed he was. Was noticeably smaller. 

I do see that On3 has him outside their top 200. His composite is being skewed a little bit by ESPN having him 107 and 247 having him 139.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few thoughts:

1) Sounds right. 

2) How does ACL surgery work for somebody like Gullette? Does he just find a knee surgeon somewhere near Melissa,TX ? Does he ask the colleges recruiting him to make a recommendation? Who pays for the surgery? Does UIL have some sort of insurance that covers kids at all schools? 

3) Hahahahahah, those fucking rubes. Whispers about them being loan contracts was bad enough, but now.the check isn't clearing either? 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

There was the rumor earlier this year that when he arrived on campuses he was not 6'6 220 like many believed he was. Was noticeably smaller. 

I do see that On3 has him outside their top 200. His composite is being skewed a little bit by ESPN having him 107 and 247 having him 139.

There was a picture floating around recently that showed his current weight on the scale.. He's been adding to it

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

aggy had something of a first mover advantage last recruiting cycle over the other teams.  Now that everyone has caught up, they're back to being relegated to the tier they belong in and it's freaking then out

I think it is more expectations. They threw money at the 2022 class and set prices that were not reasonable long-term. They can not continue to spend like that and those 22 comps are beign used against A&M, even if other people are not paying it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1) Sounds right. 

2) How does ACL surgery work for somebody like Gullette? Does he just find a knee surgeon somewhere near Melissa,TX ? Does he ask the colleges recruiting him to make a recommendation? Who pays for the surgery? Does UIL have some sort of insurance that covers kids at all schools? 

3) Hahahahahah, those fucking rubes. Whispers about them being loan contracts was bad enough, but now.the check isn't clearing either? 

Unless things have changed in the past ten years, HS athletes and their families are on their own when it comes to medical expenses and treatment. Perhaps a HS program has a partner physician locally that consults at a discount or something but that’s about it. Even that can be valuable if it’s a good doctor though.

I’m sure a major D1 football prospect has the inside track to good care through relationships with college coaches, and through that booster connections.
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Is there anything in the world more aggy than your mouth writing checks you can’t cash? 

fucking family, spewing racist tropes, putting *** in f**(ing instead of just typing it out), mocking injuries, crying about convulated conspiracies, fearing but also revering big brother to name a few, but it is certainly classic aggy.

Edited by Acropora
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think Nolan is likely the first to hit the portal, there has been smoke that he wanted out since he hit campus. I will be extremely curious what happens with Stewart, both on and off the field, but you have to wonder about his mental eval. 

Seems like Cook and Stewart are friends and Cook suddenly dropped atm out of his top 3, so that might be a data point on how Stewart feels about atm.