Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

7 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Even a Jake Locker type season and he'll be at the top.  

NFL scouts are currently touching themselves while watching the throw to Samders against ULM and the 20 yard out from the opposite hash to Worthy against Bama on a continuous loop.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But that is money I won't be sending to things like Children's Advocates, or one of the smaller cancer support firms in Texas, and myriad other places. It's tough in some ways, because I can rationalize decisions in any direction. I'm happy to support a charity that helps other charities though, and that's where I land. I get where the bigger money has some level of struggle though, because it's not just about where it's going for UT, by any stretch.

Good post. This part has always struck as one of the most legitimately challenging things about the current world of NIL. People have to be willing to "donate" big money to a game instead of sending that money to other causes that legitimately save lives and shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

This.  NFL teams have shown they have no problem drafting QB's off of one great season.

Houston drafted Davis Mills in the third round after one and a half mediocre seasons, mainly because he was a five-star out of high school. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Things continue to plod along overall. In reality, the NIL for much of the Texas efforts is being successfully funded via 4 routes: 1) corporate, 2) CFC and their 2 main benefactors plus a 3rd for hoops, 3) HornsWithHeart and the grass roots mid-level booster raising it's successfully doing, and 4) Surly for TEs and several other groups for other smaller dollars per player in non-football.

What that means is that everyone putting in here into such things is appreciated and continued support is needed. 

What that also means is that the big money outside of CFC, so far, is on the sidelines and doesn't want to participate because they haven't gotten a legitimate firm nudge from the AD. CDC is talking a good game, but if he really wanted NIL funded, endowed, and supported, the big money wouldn't be completely reluctant to even talk. 

People get frustrated, but I've raised a lot of money over the years. More than $100million through this kind of effort since the mid-2000's. It's quite simply a hell of a thing. Then it either falls apart or the dam breaks and you can't even slow down the influx of capital. It depends upon the business' outlook and market conditions. 

I have a high amount of confidence that everything will keep falling in place. Basketball has a big supporter through the BMDs and CFC already, which is terrific. 

Everyone is aiming to have stacks high and ready to support the program before the Dec 2022 portal period and coincidentally around SD1. 

Some of my cadre tend to speak very angrily and passionately about the reticence from the top levels to this point and I understand it. Y'all on here will too. But for me, this is how it goes. Change either happens like water over a rock or a lightning bolt through a tree. We've had plenty of both, but endowing shit was always going to be the slow kind of change until a levee breaks somewhere. 

FWIW, I've put in and committed annually for the future a decent chunk relative to normal person earnings, and if something I'm dealing with finishes a successful exit in early 2023, I'll substantially add to it. But that is money I won't be sending to things like Children's Advocates, or one of the smaller cancer support firms in Texas, and myriad other places. It's tough in some ways, because I can rationalize decisions in any direction. I'm happy to support a charity that helps other charities though, and that's where I land. I get where the bigger money has some level of struggle though, because it's not just about where it's going for UT, by any stretch.

To me, corporate is the most long term and sustainable. There is a legitimate benefit to the companies in (hopefully) increased sales to at least make the investment. Some 80 year old oil barron who tips the valet 25 cents is going to be a tough sell to send a million bucks to an inner city kid from Houston so he can take pictures with his Bentley on instagram. 

12 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Good post. This part has always struck as one of the most legitimately challenging things about the current world of NIL. People have to be willing to "donate" big money to a game instead of sending that money to other causes that legitimately save lives and shit.

With Horns with Heart at least there is a legitimate charitable component to it - quid pro quo with athletes required (verified) to have done charitable work (appearances, promoting, etc.) before receiving any payments.  You don't need to be completely loaded to get involved.  I'm notoriously cheap but will be sending in my HWH contribution this week.  Anyone passionate about Texas football and tired of losing should do what they can via whatever avenue fits their situation (which, at a minimum should be Burnt Ends at some level for those on this board).  I'm hoping the word I'm getting out to others who aren't as plugged in will effectively multiply my contribution.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

To me, corporate is the most long term and sustainable. There is a legitimate benefit to the companies in (hopefully) increased sales to at least make the investment. Some 80 year old oil barron who tips the valet 25 cents is going to be a tough sell to send a million bucks to an inner city kid from Houston so he can take pictures with his Bentley on instagram until you tell him that the kid runs a 4.35 40, squats more than 500 .lbs, and is related to Earl Campbell.

FIFY

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Any time you spend money, there's a trade off. Personally I consider my donation to Burnt Ends an entertainment expense, not a charity donation. It's coming out of the hookers-and-blow budget.

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

To me, corporate is the most long term and sustainable. There is a legitimate benefit to the companies in (hopefully) increased sales to at least make the investment. Some 80 year old oil barron who tips the valet 25 cents is going to be a tough sell to send a million bucks to an inner city kid from Houston so he can take pictures with his Bentley on instagram. 

Corporate is gonna be great for star players. It doesn't do much for players that the program wants to keep on the roster but haven't made a name for themselves yet. Nor does it really do much for recruits (other than as a part of the overall pitch) unless their last name is Manning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Corporate is gonna be great for star players. It doesn't do much for players that the program wants to keep on the roster but haven't made a name for themselves yet. Nor does it really do much for recruits (other than as a part of the overall pitch) unless their last name is Manning.

Correct, and as stated above that's why the collectives are so important.  They set the floor for compensation across the roster.

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

This has been briefly touched on, but…does this Ewers injury contribute to a problematic transition from him to Arch?

Lets say this injury is nagging throughout the year and he only plays half the games (please God no). Comes back next year and plays a full season.

Is he ready to leave then? And if he doesn’t, how do the Mannings react to that?

I get that it’s hypothetical, but when he first got injured and was projected to be out as much as six weeks, it had me wondering.

Less than one quarter against Alabama has the entire football world in unanimous agreement that he's legit.  An even moderately successful full season will be all he needs.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

You should listen to Jesus. He's been paying attention. There is not any connection to the money generated by players, there is no kickback, there is no connection because not only does there not have to be, but a direct connection is illegal. How do you prevent collectives from drying up? Well, winning is a start, having boosters with money and who understand things helps, obviously. But there's no guarantee to anything in this world. 

It isn't a fucking rumor. 

Yeah sorry to hear that. I would suspect our AD isn’t as likely to be positively disposed to funding a collective as compared to the AD at Tennessee. That doesn’t mean they won’t get in line eventually (he said hoping). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah sorry to hear that. I would suspect our AD isn’t as likely to be positively disposed to funding a collective as compared to the AD at Tennessee. That doesn’t mean they won’t get in line eventually (he said hoping). 

I feel like the reticence by CDC to hand over/nudge BMDs towards collectives makes sense. One of his main calling cards at TCU was his fundraising abilities for major projects. He’s dealing with the entire athletics department and probably has long term plans for future projects. Opening the doors to the BMDs puts more hands in the cookie jar, and means less firepower to pull out in big chunks when he needs it.

I see it as a wait and see mentality. If we’re humming along without him giving up the ferrari keys, he’s going to hold onto them. So far so good with regards to the recruiting of freshman. The TP arms race, if it is occurs, isn’t upon us yet.
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Things continue to plod along overall. In reality, the NIL for much of the Texas efforts is being successfully funded via 4 routes: 1) corporate, 2) CFC and their 2 main benefactors plus a 3rd for hoops, 3) HornsWithHeart and the grass roots mid-level booster raising it's successfully doing, and 4) Surly for TEs and several other groups for other smaller dollars per player in non-football.

What that means is that everyone putting in here into such things is appreciated and continued support is needed. 

What that also means is that the big money outside of CFC, so far, is on the sidelines and doesn't want to participate because they haven't gotten a legitimate firm nudge from the AD. CDC is talking a good game, but if he really wanted NIL funded, endowed, and supported, the big money wouldn't be completely reluctant to even talk. 

People get frustrated, but I've raised a lot of money over the years. More than $100million through this kind of effort since the mid-2000's. It's quite simply a hell of a thing. Then it either falls apart or the dam breaks and you can't even slow down the influx of capital. It depends upon the business' outlook and market conditions. 

I have a high amount of confidence that everything will keep falling in place. Basketball has a big supporter through the BMDs and CFC already, which is terrific. 

Everyone is aiming to have stacks high and ready to support the program before the Dec 2022 portal period and coincidentally around SD1. 

Some of my cadre tend to speak very angrily and passionately about the reticence from the top levels to this point and I understand it. Y'all on here will too. But for me, this is how it goes. Change either happens like water over a rock or a lightning bolt through a tree. We've had plenty of both, but endowing shit was always going to be the slow kind of change until a levee breaks somewhere. 

FWIW, I've put in and committed annually for the future a decent chunk relative to normal person earnings, and if something I'm dealing with finishes a successful exit in early 2023, I'll substantially add to it. But that is money I won't be sending to things like Children's Advocates, or one of the smaller cancer support firms in Texas, and myriad other places. It's tough in some ways, because I can rationalize decisions in any direction. I'm happy to support a charity that helps other charities though, and that's where I land. I get where the bigger money has some level of struggle though, because it's not just about where it's going for UT, by any stretch.

Quick question - is there any reticence, hesitance, or outright objection among BMDs to donating their cash directly to players? It's one thing to fork over a half mil to get rid of an asshole coach you don't like, hoping that the next guy can get the job done. It's another thing knowing that your money is going directly into the pockets of 18 year olds who are gonna blow it on luxury cars and weed. I have wondered if any generational gaps - or even, ahem...."cultural" gaps" - might be in play here, or tightening the cash faucets. 

I'll hang up and listen....

3 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Quick question - is there any reticence, hesitance, or outright objection among BMDs to donating their cash directly to players? It's one thing to fork over a half mil to get rid of an asshole coach you don't like, hoping that the next guy can get the job done. It's another thing knowing that your money is going directly into the pockets of 18 year olds who are gonna blow it on luxury cars and weed. I have wondered if any generational gaps - or even, ahem...."cultural" gaps" - might be in play here, or tightening the cash faucets. 

I hope that question is hopefully being answered with another question  from a recent real world example.  Which is more likely to result in Nebraska having a winning football team again soon.  Paying an additional $7.5MM buyout to be the first to fire their coach (first in line for next hiring cycle!!).  Or waiting 3 weeks and pocketing the $7.5MM (whatever dumbass booster funded it) and deploying that towards NIL.  People set in these old school ways of thinking about how to win at college football are clueless.

Does anyone really think Kirby Smart is a transcendent football coach or did he (and Georgia) just realize the path to a championship is an elite roster by any means necessary?  Now we have the opportunity to win at that game and do it legally.  

• Hook 'Em 6

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is where the collectives come in.  Since they're charitable contributions you're more likely to see recurring donations. You still need corporate deals for the big names. You're seeing that with the Wrangler deals amongst others.  The collectives handle the base payroll, the others fund the big names

Bryce Young -- Dr Pepper

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

NFL scouts are currently touching themselves while watching the throw to Samders against ULM and the 20 yard out from the opposite hash to Worthy against Bama on a continuous loop.

Hell I am not a scout and watch that out every day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Chicken Fried Chicken?? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Sydney touched on it, but he's nicer than I am. There are a few very wealthy guys with a history of involvement with Texas that have said they will give exactly zero dollars ever to NIL. The rest are listening and learning, and a few are doing. Please do not speculate on names on here or I am out on discussing stuff. I do not begrudge other peoples' choices in how they spend their money, whether rich or poor. In the grand scheme, like I said, I think Texas is and will continue to be elite in NIL, irrespective of whether or not any single individual is interested in helping.

• Hook 'Em 7

14 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

He sure doesn't seem to like to wrap up. 

I didn’t really either at that age, and now looking back it was something incredibly stupid that made me really appreciative of the wonders of penicillin.

Hopefully he figured it out before it’s too late.. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Sydney touched on it, but he's nicer than I am. There are a few very wealthy guys with a history of involvement with Texas that have said they will give exactly zero dollars ever to NIL. The rest are listening and learning, and a few are doing. Please do not speculate on names on here or I am out on discussing stuff. I do not begrudge other peoples' choices in how they spend their money, whether rich or poor. In the grand scheme, like I said, I think Texas is and will continue to be elite in NIL, irrespective of whether or not any single individual is interested in helping.

Are these people more like “if we go down this road my checkbook is closed to the Texas AD” or “I’ll contribute to a new practice field but keep my money out of the NIL pot”?

Just now, Jebus said:

Are these people more like “if we go down this road my checkbook is closed to the Texas AD” or “I’ll contribute to a new practice field but keep my money out of the NIL pot”?

the latter.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Re: it being stupid and shortsighted - Perhaps, but CDC is the CEO and CEOs like to be in control, for better or worse. I also don’t think any of us should accuse CDC of being shortsighted just yet.

Jimbo Fisher likes being in control too, particularly offensively. “For better or worse” isn’t a defendable excuse, just like Fisher’s contract which gives him basically unchecked power is indefensible. Yet here you come, basically making that your case. Have fun with that. 

as for accusing anyone of being shortsighted *yet*, well, get back to me when you’re directly involved with the people in question and those conversations. Until then, take you’re Mack Brown apologist default instincts and Kindly fuck off. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Jimbo Fisher likes being in control too, particularly offensively. “For better or worse” isn’t a defendable excuse, just like Fisher’s contract which gives him basically unchecked power is indefensible. Yet here you come, basically making that your case. Have fun with that. 

as for accusing anyone of being shortsighted *yet*, well, get back to me when you’re directly involved with the people in question and those conversations. Until then, take you’re Mack Brown apologist default instincts and Kindly fuck off. 

Stop trying to be a playground bully.

This isn’t the forum to discuss CDC further, but bringing up Jimbo as a comparison is pretty dang funny.

We currently have a top 2-5 recruiting class per the ranking services (including the number one overall player), it looks like we’re trending for Hale tomorrow, momentum heading into the conference schedule, and we didn’t get killed in last years TP. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

It's sort of amusing to think NIL started with discussions of famous college players being able to trade on their NIL. The examples were always the most stellar players and never linemen. So it seems to start as an issue over individual freedom. A person with value in his brand should profit therefrom.

Why shouldn't Jameis Williams and Johnny Football Manziel make money? They're famous.

Now, judging from the last two pages, NIL actually stands for the pot of money that can be doled out to players by entities that are not connected to the associated university. NIL is a jointly funded war chest that will pay players with virtually no brand identity of real value in any market. On this track, I'm guessing nobody will remember what NIL stands for or the origin of this new world.

As stated above, nobody knows how this will playout. Making NIL deals with players that actually offer no value to the payer seems to be setting a soaring rate of bidding. I hope the system we're discussing now breaks down horribly, and we start over.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 3

There’s a major BMD associate I know that is either about to write (or has just written) a huge check to UT that will include buildings being named after him. I don’t think he will put money into NIL (as far as I know) but it means CDC and UT get the donations they need that they would otherwise be trying to get from guys that are ok with NIL. Hopefully it all works out with enough donors in each category. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I just saw a poster in the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread post that Ketch is saying on the current ongoing OB After Hours youtube livestream that Hale looking like he gonna choose Bama.

EDIT:

Link to the OB After Hours livestream:

Edited by TheMailBox357

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just saw a poster in the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread that Ketch is saying on the current ongoing OB youtube livestream that Hale looking like he gonna choose Bama

Well that would be different than everyone else. 

Not discounting that a late change of heart to Bama is far from unheard of, but..... Ketch

17 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's sort of amusing to think NIL started with discussions of famous college players being able to trade on their NIL. The examples were always the most stellar players and never linemen. So it seems to start as an issue over individual freedom. A person with value in his brand should profit therefrom.

Why shouldn't Jameis Williams and Johnny Football Manziel make money? They're famous.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I just saw a poster in the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread post that Ketch is saying on the current ongoing OB After Hours youtube livestream that Hale looking like he gonna choose Bama.

EDIT:

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well that would be different than everyone else. 

Not discounting that a late change of heart to Bama is far from unheard of, but..... Ketch

Ketch said in the livestream that if Hale goes to Bama, it won't be because of NIL.

32 minutes ago, Shaggyhorn said:

Stop trying to be a playground bully.

This isn’t the forum to discuss CDC further, but bringing up Jimbo as a comparison is pretty dang funny.

We currently have a top 2-5 recruiting class per the ranking services (including the number one overall player), it looks like we’re trending for Hale tomorrow, momentum heading into the conference schedule, and we didn’t get killed in last years TP. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place.

Being declarative and using profanity don’t make me a bully. Neither does tone, or anything else. Did I try to Liucci you to meet outside at the bike rack? No

I’ve made my points, and I’ve referenced actual real world experience working to get this stuff pulled together over the last year. Not because I get anything out of it other than, hopefully, a good football program. Meanwhile you dismiss the Jimbo comparison, as if comparing CDC to a guy who hoards power and lives in the past isn’t an apt comparison. 

you’re right. Recruiting isn’t in a bad place. I wonder what some of those reasons are? OL seems better, go figure. Recruiting wasn’t in a bad place under Mack Brown. As we all know, things can look great right until the moment they aren’t. Some of us are working to prevent that. Having some clueless interloper offering up his thoughts with no experience or reference might trigger a response from some folks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

EDIT:

Someone in the the pinned IT recruiting prospect thread responded with this post:

"Bama 247 is not confident. Their Mod thinks its 50-50."