Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

12 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

He's not the 'big catch radius' guy that has been indicated Texas was looking for - that would have been the 6'5" Ja'kobi Lane.  Moore has decent speed - I think he has a PR of 10.86. 

I think a good comp would be a more refined J Whitt. 

• Hook 'Em 4

One of the knocks on him was the offense he was playing in Jr year.  They were rpo-screen and quick pass heavy.  He didn't have the volume of intermediate and deep routes that other targets did, and his average reception was pretty low.

Not sure if senior season fixed that.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, JBJ said:

One of the knocks on him was the offense he was playing in Jr year.  They were rpo-screen and quick pass heavy.  He didn't have the volume of intermediate and deep routes that other targets did, and his average reception was pretty low.

Not sure if senior season fixed that.

It wasn't an issue for Moore's junior season fellow WR teammate Makai Lemon. Anyways Moore's senior season stats at Bosco listed on Maxpreps aren't impressive either other than YPC: https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/bellflower/st-john-bosco-braves/athletes/deandre-moore/football/stats/?careerid=epvl365edn0bb

I can see why certain IT posters like UTWuz & srtx86 feel that UT should pass on Moore.

• Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

It wasn't an issue for Moore's junior season fellow WR teammate Makai Lemon. Anyways Moore's senior season stats at Bosco listed on Maxpreps aren't impressive either other than YPC: https://www.maxpreps.com/ca/bellflower/st-john-bosco-braves/athletes/deandre-moore/football/stats/?careerid=epvl365edn0bb

I can see why certain IT posters like UTWuz & srtx86 feel that UT should pass on Moore.

Makai Lemon is a 5 star recruit currently committed to USC along with his high school QB and fellow 5 star Malachi Nelson.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

So in 10 games, the guy had 9 touchdowns on just 26 offensive touches. 22 yards per reception? I dunno about UTWookie and srkdlkncoiwerx69 or whatever, but to me that's pretty fucking impressive. 

So I guess the "Worrisome" part are the 483 total yards? Only 22 receptions? That could be for many reasons. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Makai Lemon is a 5 star recruit currently committed to USC along with his high school QB and fellow 5 star Malachi Nelson.

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

So in 10 games, the guy had 9 touchdowns on just 26 offensive touches. 22 yards per reception? I dunno about UTWookie and srkdlkncoiwerx69 or whatever, but to me that's pretty fucking impressive. 

So I guess the "Worrisome" part are the 483 total yards? Only 22 receptions? That could be for many reasons. 

The old on3 scouting summary made this point. Moore was not nearly as productive as Lemon, despite Nelson throwing to both of them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The old on3 scouting summary made this point. Moore was not nearly as productive as Lemon, despite Nelson throwing to both of them. 

Looks like Lemon had 3x as many catches as Moore, with 13 TDs to Moore's 9, and averaged 7 yards less per catch. Is Moore not getting open or something? Dropping an insane amount of balls? Or is Lemon by far Nelson's favorite target? Combination of all of it?

Main point for me, is that I can't look at those stats alone and say "oh, pass on this guy" as the poster felt the information would support. I'd first ask how that offense is spreading the ball. Then you'd tell me there's a 5 star receiver on the other side with far more targets. Then I'm really interested. 

Edited by UncleBuck

Harris with another update on Derek Williams

A source close to the family of New Iberia (La.) Westgate four-star safety Derek Williams told me this morning that the plan is now for Williams to sign in February.

Talked to one source at Texas that was surprised by this, so this leads me to believe that this decision was made early this morning considering the two parties spoke yesterday.

What do I think? I think there is still indecision going on, but that the family is starting to lean another way and that is signing in February. Williams expressed his desire to take other visits and was not able to do that with Westgate’s deep playoff run. This would give him that opportunity.

I’ll have more as I get it.

• Rage+1 8

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

A source close to the family of New Iberia (La.) Westgate four-star safety Derek Williams told me this morning that the plan is now for Williams to sign in February.

Talked to one source at Texas that was surprised by this, so this leads me to believe that this decision was made early this morning considering the two parties spoke yesterday.

What do I think? I think there is still indecision going on, but that the family is starting to lean another way and that is signing in February. Williams expressed his desire to take other visits and was not able to do that with Westgate’s deep playoff run. This would give him that opportunity.

Well. Fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Time to get Cormani McClain on the phone. We'll double him up and match for Williams. Fuck you, Mario. 

37 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

including the fact that that MaxPreps is often incorrect and missing games.

another site (scorebook live) has him with 6 catches for 396 yards in the first 6 games of the season, including 0 catches in game #2.

it also shows him as having 0 catches catches since October in all the rest of the games.

using that scorebook live link, it shows they played Serra High School on 12/10 and Moore had 0 catches. Moore uploaded a video from that game to his Hudl here and the first (only) play is about a 30 yard pass catch. Shows 0 catches vs Mater Dei, but Hudl shows 1 play that is a 10/15 yard catch.

1) high school stats are woefully incomplete across the board. even at major programs like St John Boscoe.  Why schools don't share it on their own website drives me nuts

2) scout high school players based on statlines like lots of people do is insanity. doesn't consider things like level of competition, level of your team, injuries, anything. any school who is out there making offers to players based on stats is going to fail.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

including the fact that that MaxPreps is often incorrect and missing games.

another site (scorebook live) has him with 6 catches for 396 yards in the first 6 games of the season, including 0 catches in game #2.

it also shows him as having 0 catches catches since October in all the rest of the games.

using that scorebook live link, it shows they played Serra High School on 12/10 and Moore had 0 catches. Moore uploaded a video from that game to his Hudl here and the first (only) play is about a 30 yard pass catch. Shows 0 catches vs Mater Dei, but Hudl shows 1 play that is a 10/15 yard catch.

1) high school stats are woefully incomplete across the board. even at major programs like St John Boscoe.  Why schools don't share it on their own website drives me nuts

2) scout high school players based on statlines like lots of people do is insanity. doesn't consider things like level of competition, level of your team, injuries, anything. any school who is out there making offers to players based on stats is going to fail.

giphy.gif

Gerry on Derek Williams

Inside Texas still believes there is a chance On3 Consensus 4-star safety Derek Williams signs his NLI Wednesday.

IT spoke with a family member earlier this morning. The response to the question was, "You will just have to wait and see until tomorrow."

IT also spoke with a person at Westgate High in New Iberia, and the answer was "it could go either way"

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry on Derek Williams

Inside Texas still believes there is a chance On3 Consensus 4-star safety Derek Williams signs his NLI Wednesday.

IT spoke with a family member earlier this morning. The response to the question was, "You will just have to wait and see until tomorrow."

IT also spoke with a person at Westgate High in New Iberia, and the answer was "it could go either way"

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• Hook 'Em 1