Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

42 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

Mcdoubles used to be $1.19.

Now they taste terrible and bland. I can't eat one without at least bacon.

The only decent items are the chicken sandwiches and quarter pounder. Everything else is meh.

You don't get two double cheeseburgers for less than three dollars and expect it taste amazing. They are a buck for a reason.

You don't get two double cheeseburgers for less than three dollars and expect it taste amazing. They are a buck for a reason.
I had one that was pretty damn good a little while back. A basketball team rolled in just ahead of me, and i dunno if it was the extra grease or if the griddle had to heat up to maintain temp, but it tasted like actual beef cooked in an actual skillet.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:
2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

A basketball team rolled in just ahead of me, and i dunno if it was the extra grease or if the griddle had to heat up to maintain temp, but it tasted like actual beef cooked in an actual skillet.

I don't want to speculate but the improved taste might have had more to do with the basketball team's visit than you are ready or willing to admit

I'm saying they jizzed in your food, sorry

6 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Is this even unpopular any more?

McDonald's was fine junk food, once. Before they forgot that they were a junk food establishment and kept trying to sell healthy and experimental things. Back when they used beef tallow to make their fries. Back in the days before sugar tariffs. If you were on a road trip, you knew you could stop by McDonald's and, at the very least, experience a clean restroom, and whatever you ate -- though it wasn't great food by any stretch -- would be good enough, and sometimes you get some cool local flavor (e.g. green chile in the Tucumcari, New Mexico McDonald's), but never so much that it wasn't familiar.

But those days are long gone, and McD's corporate has long since lost the plot. People aren't interested in Special Sandwich Of The Week. They aren't interested in spending the same amount of money on a Quarter Pounder that they could instead spend on a good burger somewhere else. They aren't interested in "Hey we use vegetable stuff on our fries now so that they taste shittier, but Hindus can eat it!" Vegan fries should be an option, not the default! You fucking ruined one of the greatest things about America you fuckers. Change it back, you legalistic corporate pseudo-cosmopolitan shirt hangers! I'd curse your souls if you had any. I'd insult you to your faces if you'd take off your masks, but then I'm not interested in seeing the dull, empty, gray-skinned dullness that lurks behind it.

This is the kind of post that makes me wish Surly had the "nominate this for post of the day" function that many of the old Scout message boards had. 

This has to be said: 

BBQ is just ok. People mostly like BBQ to go along with whatever regional pride bullshit/nostalgia that comes with eating it. I've had Franklin's, Black's, Snow's, and that Luling place. It's all just ok. The very best brisket & sausage can't hold a candle to a good burger or fried/grilled chicken, or a litany of other foods out there. I find it amazing that morons wait hours and hours in line for that mediocre food, every day. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This has to be said: 

BBQ is just ok. People mostly like BBQ to go along with whatever regional pride bullshit/nostalgia that comes with eating it. I've had Franklin's, Black's, Snow's, and that Luling place. It's all just ok. The very best brisket & sausage can't hold a candle to a good burger or fried/grilled chicken, or a litany of other foods out there. I find it amazing that morons wait hours and hours in line for that mediocre food, every day. 

You are definitely in the right thread.

And now I'm hungry for brisket and sausage.

This has to be said: 

Aren't you a fucking Yankee?
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This has to be said: 

Absolutely. BBQ is the last thing on my mind when I want some real good food. It's towards the bottom. People who wait in those long lines for BBQ are ignorant. Texans love to overrate BBQ and Whataburger. And don't even serve me BBQ if it doesn't have the sides to go with it. Sausage is something you have on the side of the real meat being served.

Edited by Vic Mackey

21 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. BBQ is the last thing on my mind when I want some real good food. It's towards the bottom. People who wait in those long lines for BBQ are ignorant. Texans love to overrate BBQ and Whataburger. And don't even serve me BBQ if it doesn't have the sides to go with it. Sausage is something you have on the side of the real meat being served.

Like brisket?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, Helobious said:
This has to be said: 

Read more  

Aren't you a fucking Yankee?

Texas born & raised. I didn’t choose to be a Yankee fan, Yankee fandom chose me.

This has to be said: 

It would have been more accurate and succinct if you had said: “I don’t like bbq that much.”

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

This has to be said: 

Grilled chicken is perhaps the single most insipid food in the entire universe. Choosing it over BBQ is like watching Aaron Judge flail helplessly at a breaking ball.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Grilled chicken is perhaps the single most insipid food in the entire universe. Choosing it over BBQ is like watching Aaron Judge flail helplessly at a breaking ball.

Grilled chicken can actually be done reasonably well.

It's still nowhere near as good as BBQ, though.

4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

It shouldn’t make it out of the first round with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I question Frosted Flakes as a #1 seed.

Yeah, they got matched up with a clearly superior version of the same genre in Rd 1. Horrible draw.

22 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Yeah, definitely belongs in an "opinions that are regarded" thread.  I'll excuse Vic b/c he's shown a history of horrible taste in women and food. 

Well, I can understand his perspective, given that many of the women he seems to prefer look like cattle and hogs. Maybe he feels like bbq is a betrayal of his dating ethos? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you could probably protect the space shuttle during re-entry with those marshmallows

would ya eat the space shuttle, if it were madea Lucky Charm marshmallows?  's a simple question

i'm pretty sure harry caray discussed that back in 1983. 

Lucky Charms isn't cereal. It's candy with shit in it.

All of the cereals we loved growing up are just candy marketed as breakfast. Everything today in ‘murica is loaded with gobs of cheap subsidized corn syrup. Hence the fats (or in PC terms “the obesity epidemic.”

On 3/20/2019 at 6:47 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Unpopular opinions don’t have to be wrong. But these takes on bbq are just that, wrong to very wrong.

At least we're definitely back on topic with the thread.

And just to make the point:

* Some of my fondest memories of college involve our trips to County Line for all you can eat family style, to see how much we could eat. Our record was four platters... one for each of us.

* When I found out my favorite local BBQ joint went out of business, I cried.

* Probably the best blend of Texas and China from my marriage are the BBQ chicken quarters we make together. She does the marinade; I do the grilling (with smoke). Served these up at our way-too-large birthday party for my daughter's fifth and there were no leftovers.

your opinion is bad and you are bad if you don't like bbq

On 3/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, formermav43 said:

It shouldn’t make it out of the first round with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

I question Frosted Flakes as a #1 seed.

cinnamon toast crunch is absolute shit, and Golden Grahams is the second best cereal on that chart