Are food and beer available early at State Fair?

Wiler77

Going to first TX/OU game in close to 20 years on Saturday.  I generally dislike crowds and planned to get to Fair Park no later than 9am.

I see the grounds open at 7am, but the website makes it sounds like most rides and food aren't available until 10am.  Is that true?  I assumed for TX/OU the vendors know people get there early and have things ready to go earlier than that.  I really don't remember what time I arrived back in the 90's.

Vendors know thousands of extra people will be at fair park earlier than usual that day...have no fear. (I'll be there Saturday and havent missed one the past 5 years)

Having said that, a good ice chest in your trunk/hatch/bed means you can have whatever you want as early as you want no matter what.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Check the hedge/bush in front of the entrance gate. 

When the Nazis search us and find a handle we usually stash it in the bushes right out front in the median for the walk home. 

you’re welcome. 

flask8.jpg

hidden-bladder-flask.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Not nearly as bad as the Thursday before the game dragged as a student. (After my freshman year, I skipped OU Friday classes altogether)

When I was earning my PhD we canceled Friday classes when I was both a TA and an instructor.

No reason to teach to a half empty classroom.

• Like 2

Lots more six ticket beers than in recent years.  There's a bit of a price war going on.  Beer barn right outside the main entrance is always a good cheap beer option, but there are probably a half dozen other places in the main plaza that also have 6 ticket beer (Jack's Fries now has 6 ticket beer, e.g.).

Yeah, the best thing about the 11am kick is all the vendors are open by 8am. When we had the afternoon kick a while back, lots of them didn't open til 10, and then there were lots of lines and rabble. 

Our plan every year: Park at the fair by 7am. Drink in the parking lot til 745 to create a solid base.

Corny dog at 8am. Fried butter with cinnamon and honey at 820am. Food court at 830am, assorted foods and beers.

Enter stadium at 1030am.

Leave stadium at 3pm, head to the far corners of the fair away from the shitshow on Nimitz.

Hang until 10pm, consuming a minimum of 5000 calories and a hunnerd dollars worth of coopins.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah, the best thing about the 11am kick is all the vendors are open by 8am. When we had the afternoon kick a while back, lots of them didn't open til 10, and then there were lots of lines and rabble. 

Our plan every year: Park at the fair by 7am. Drink in the parking lot til 745 to create a solid base.

Corny dog at 8am. Fried butter with cinnamon and honey at 820am. Food court at 830am, assorted foods and beers.

Enter stadium at 1030am.

Leave stadium at 3pm, head to the far corners of the fair away from the shitshow on Nimitz.

Hang until 10pm, consuming a minimum of 5000 calories and a hunnerd dollars worth of coopins.

Username checks out 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

I've always been curious how the okies handled real beer when all they have access to is that bullshit up there.

The real question is how there's not a tsunami type run when they see the weiners on a stick.

14 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Nah man you gotta treat fair food like bad players treat poker hands. Do I want to see the flop with this hand/eat this item? If yes - how much to see the flop/purchase this item? Then pay that amount. It’s just coopins! Not even money! Wheee!

I think of it as really expensive club prices for drinks, and fine dining prices for food.  I mean, would you rather have that aged beef tartare with bone marrow alongside the blue crab fundido?  Or a fried burnt end burrito and a Fletcher's corny dog?  

I know MY answer!

• Like 1