Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Welp no urban. There’s literally no other coaches worth a shit at this moment. Franklin is what 1-7 cristobal sucks shit. Fuck fickle and chasing g5 coaches like strong and Herman worked out well. Yes strong is a g5 coach with bridge water  ans fuck future man for not fisting his own ass

Edited by Sgt Hulk

Just now, TexasMan said:

Not only is this disappointing, but now everyone is laughing at us.

You thought recruiting was in the toilet before? With a lame duck Tom Herman, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Yep.  22' class is loaded and it'll be a repeat of the current class with 1 of the top 20 players in the state coming here.

An 0-2 start next year is also a real possibility.

I think things are trending badly, but Brown's report said Meyer told Texas he's leaning toward no, and then the source quote said "if he's a no, then..." and continued.

So Brown is reporting that a source said that Meyer is leaning toward no, and then headlines it that it's over.

• Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m pretty sure he knows it’s imminent.  It’s either been hinted at by CDC or he just knows because Herman is not a dumb guys.  But he’s also motivated by pride and performance for his next gig. 

Yeah but if he’s holding press conferences, he hasn’t been fired. That is not the way the world works. 

but Herman is not holding press conferences...

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity - Find & Share on GIPHY

Herman is going to have to win his way out of the funk we are in and have been for many years. Can he re-program himself and instill discipline? Can he divorce himself from the disdain for fg goals and field pos? That’s the question. It makes no sense to fire him right now if we Can’t get Meyer or Saban. 

it’s not CDC’s fault, he didn’t hire him, he didn’t give an extension to him. Meyer has health issues, we made a hard run. 

we can’t afford another 3-4 years of strong/Herman with a different guy.  At this point, I think we have to ride it out 1 more year. 

Edited by jdhorn92

15 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I think our admin / way of doing things has irreparably poisoned Texas as a destination school. I think we are indefinitely in the wilderness. I think firing Herman ASAP is a must and hiring the best possible P5 or G5 guy available and hoping he’s the next Darrell Royal is about all we can do now. I would expect to have difficulties securing guys like Fickell or Allen or Harsin. I think our name is mud. 

Oh, nonsense.  We still have a rich history, good facilities, a great city, a great high school football state, and the most important thing: metric fucktons of money.

There are exactly two coaches in college football who legitimately aren't interested in coming here.  Everyone else at least listens and 95% of them say "yes" as they pick up the phone.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I think things are trending badly, but Brown's report said Meyer told Texas he's leaning toward no, and then the source quote said "if he's a no, then..." and continued.

So Brown is reporting that a source said that Meyer is leaning toward no, and then headlines it that it's over.

Yea the substance of the article doesn’t jibe with the definitive headline. 

Donations will completely dry up if this is true.  CDC will have done significant damage to the athletic department. there will be no one in the stadium next year, even if life has returned to normal.

Having said that, I'm not convinced Chip wasn't lied to

• Hook 'Em 2

Definitely a blow but yeah “sources” and no press conference? Odd, super odd. Wait and see.  Looks to be no good.  But chip has gone out on a limb before and been wrong, can’t remember haven’t given any weight to his “reporting” in years.  Burton is worrisome but not Chip.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

You thought recruiting was in the toilet before? With a lame duck Tom Herman, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

They have been laughing at us for a while.  Now is when they forget about us like Tennessee

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

(Chip Brown) Source: Texas' flirtation with Urban Meyer appears over

The possibility of three-time national championship coach Urban Meyer ending up at Texas has come to an end after Meyer indicated to Texas he's leaning toward not coaching again due to health reasons, a university source told Horns247. Horns247 reported Sunday if Texas couldn't land Meyer, there’s a chance Tom Herman will remain as coach of the Texas Longhorns. "There was an opportunity here too good not to pursue with Urban (Meyer)," the university source said. "If he's a definite no, we just need to step back and assess."

Paying a $25 million buyout to let go of a four-year coach who is 31-18 (.632) and replacing him with a three-time national championship coach like Meyer is one thing. Paying a $25 million buyout without a clear-cut alternative to Meyer is another thing, the source said. Donors would step up for Meyer. It’s unclear if donors would be willing to do the same for anyone else, sources said.

The wildcard in the equation would be if Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte could come up with a coach who would galvanize the support of donors and regents for such a steep buyout. Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, Oregon coach Mario Cristobal, Penn State coach James Franklin and Iowa State coach Matt Campbell are among the coaches Texas has researched, according to sources.

What about the lack of fan support for Herman? The university source said Herman isn’t a great personality fit and angered the administration and donors as much for not having his team standing together for The Eyes of Texas earlier this year as for his team’s sloppy play in a 1-2 Big 12 start.

It was after a 33-31 home loss to TCU followed by a four-overtime loss to Oklahoma that Texas donors began pushing hard for school officials to consider Meyer as Herman’s replacement. Meyer was contacted at that point and has been aware of interest from Texas since October, sources told Horns247. Despite rumblings that Texas would pay Meyer an annual salary in excess of $10 million as well as meet a list of demands from Meyer, UT officials say privately there was never a formal offer made.

Del Conte has told Herman he’ll be evaluated at the end of the season. Texas (6-3, 5-3 Big 12), which won at Kansas State 69-31 on Saturday, will be a big favorite at winless Kansas next week and then likely will head to either the Alamo, Liberty or Texas bowls. If Del Conte determines there’s a coach he thinks would energize regents and donors for a $25 million buyout, then Texas could have to wait until late December or even January to talk to that coach if his team is still playing - possibly February if it's an NFL coach.

Could Texas and its fanbase wait that long to learn if it will be Herman or someone else coaching the Longhorns in 2021? “I don’t like it for recruiting,” the university source said. “But Tom Herman is under contract for three more seasons. If there’s no clear replacement, I don’t see us paying the buyout to gamble on another coach.”

Fyi... Salary info    (excluding bonuses)

Tom Herman is set to earn $6.25 million in 2021; $6.5 million in 2022; and $6.75 million in 2023.

Here’s a breakdown of Texas’ assistant coaching annual salaries (and remaining contract years):

• Mike Yurcich, offensive coordinator, $1.7 million (three - through 2022 season)
  • Chris Ash, defensive coordinator, $800,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Jay Boulware, tight ends coach/special teams coordinator, $700,000 (three - through 2022 season)
  • Herb Hand, offensive line, $700,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Stan Drayton, running backs, $650,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Coleman Hutzler, linebackers, $600,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Mark Hagen, defensive tackles, $550,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Yancy McKnight, strength coach, $510,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Oscar Giles, defensive ends, $400,000 (two - through 2021 season)
  • Andre Coleman, receivers, $350,000 (year to year)
  • Jay Valai, cornerbacks, $300,000 (two - through 2021 season)

Edit:    ***Ash still getting paid by Rutgers too

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-assistant-coaches-raises-Herb-Hand-Stan-Drayton-Yancy-McKnight-Mark-Hagen-146782926/

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

This was my biggest fear. A media covered swing and miss. I guess when people look under the hood of Texas football they run away screaming in terror. 

7 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

I know you listen to sports talk here in aggyland, tomorrow is gonna suck for you

Two dogs that aren't barking yet are Pete Thamel and Bruce Feldman.  I would expect if Urban wants to get the word out that he is definitely not interested, we'd hear it from one of them first, and so far, they've been quiet about him today.  It may just be a matter of time, but still a little surprising to me that this word is supposedly leaking from the university side and not from Urban's camp.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The "If Meyer doesn't return" is from a separate article he wrote earlier. Actually, so is the entire second half of the article which I think he just copy-pasted.

Chip Brown: If Meyer doesn't return to coaching, what's next for Texas?

If Urban Meyer decides he’s not returning to coaching, there’s a chance Tom Herman will remain as coach of the Texas Longhorns, a high-level university source told Horns247. Nothing has been decided at this point, the source said. But paying a $25 million buyout to let go of a four-year coach who is 31-18 (.632) and replacing him with a three-time national championship coach like Meyer is one thing. Paying a $25 million buyout without a clear-cut alternative to Meyer is another thing, the source said.

Donors would step up for Meyer. It’s unclear if donors would be willing to do the same for anyone else, sources said. The wildcard in the equation would be if Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte could come up with a coach who would galvanize the support of donors and regents for such a steep buyout. Alabama offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian, Oregon coach Mario Cristobal, Penn State coach James Franklin and Iowa State coach Matt Campbell are among the coaches Texas has researched, according to sources.

What about the lack of fan support for Herman? The university source said Herman isn’t a great personality fit and angered the administration and donors as much for not having his team standing together for The Eyes of Texas earlier this year as for his team’s sloppy play in a 1-2 Big 12 start. It was after a 33-31 home loss to TCU followed by a four-overtime loss to Oklahoma that Texas donors began pushing hard for school officials to consider Meyer as Herman’s replacement.

Meyer was contacted at that point and has been aware of interest from Texas since October, sources told Horns247. Despite rumblings that Texas would pay Meyer an annual salary in excess of $10 million as well as meet a list of demands from Meyer, UT officials say privately there’s been no formal offer made. “He hasn’t even told us if he wants to coach again,” the university source said.

Meyer is obviously aware the early signing period for 2021 recruits is Dec. 16. Each day that passes without an indication from Meyer seems to increase the likelihood Meyer won’t return to coaching, the source said. Del Conte has told Herman he’ll be evaluated at the end of the season. Texas (6-3, 5-3 Big 12), which won at Kansas State 69-31 on Saturday, will be a big favorite at winless Kansas next week and then likely will head to either the Alamo, Liberty or Texas bowls.

If Del Conte determines there’s a coach he thinks would energize regents and donors for a $25 million buyout, then Texas could have to wait until late December or even January to talk to that coach if his team is still playing - possibly February if it's an NFL coach. Could Texas and its fanbase wait that long to learn if it will be Herman or someone else coaching the Longhorns in 2021?

“I don’t like it for recruiting,” the university source said. “But Tom Herman is under contract for three more seasons. If there’s no clear replacement, I don’t see us paying the buyout to gamble on another coach.” Again, nothing has been decided yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, alphahorn said:

Donations will completely dry up if this is true. 

Oh, come on.  The average BMD  isn't an idiot.  They understand the hiring process.  If Urban Meyer doesn't want to coach at Texas, then it's a single data point.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Why would big donors suddenly decide "that's it, no more millions from me" based on a former big-time coach who has "retired" multiple times actually deciding to stay retired?

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Im passed that lol I just don't give a fuck anymore 

Yeah, where is apathy on the list?  I have friends telling me how good Texas basketball is this year, and I laugh and roll my eyes.  That is where I am with football too.  I just flat out don't care.  Maybe my golf game will improve as a result.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic