Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

This fits with a lot of what has been reporting and I have no connections of any kind that would give me any reason to dispute it...

But I am shocked/disappointed that CDC has gone from being this out of this world awesome hire to a political suit who is in over his head and deserves to be called Crystal.... just surprising.

But like I said it fits and goes along with Caddox losing his mind on here a week ago....just really disappointed in CDC 

He is turning out to be a carnival barker who can throw a party on game day and recruit coaches in the lesser sports simply because we can pay more than where they are at.  I remember the softball guy saying after he was hired that he came because of how much more money Texas was willing to pay.

12 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

You’re way too alert for me at this time on a Saturday night. 😁🥸

I am far too alert for me too. Lol. My sweet 15 year old Little Bitty is snoring away on my bed. I was laughing at something that was posted on here and she side eyed me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

image.thumb.png.5aa476f3d74b9de2fa96951c942cd103.png

I’m almost positive this has been posted on here already and has been stated this guy is more than likely not a big donor. BMD writing a letter to him on 24/7 sports is dumb, that’s not how big BMD’s communicate to CDC. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nunna yo bizness said:

Given all this I now have to assume UM really is a no.  One of the things he wants and we thought hed have is alignment and full support of his AD.  If it's played out this way instead he would rightly question both and probably not want to deal with it.

Not an issue with Urban/CDC.  If he is too scared to fire Herman’s ass, he will tremble in Myers’s presence.

The day shift was depressing. I’ve switched to the night shift where there’s more energy.

I can’t believe how much shit’s being thrown against the wall right now by a thousand different sources. I’m going back to the original information I heard that so far has been dead-on right. First, I heard Meyer was really interested and in play. That was proven correct.

Then, I heard he said no. That was also proved to be correct. The view currently is that we are looking for Plan B and Herman is definitely out. This aligns with ctj’s view as well. As a result, I’m sticking with the view that Herman is out and plan B is in the works.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

The day shift was depressing. I’ve switched to the night shift where there’s more energy.

I can’t believe how much shit’s being thrown against the wall right now by a thousand different sources. I’m going back to the original information I heard that so far has been dead-on right. First, I heard Meyer was really interested and in play. That was proven correct.

Then, I heard he said no. That was also proved to be correct. The view currently is that we are looking for Plan B and Herman is definitely out. This aligns with ctj’s view as well. As a result, I’m sticking with the view that Herman is out and plan B is in the works.

And no one will be happy.

We're Texas!

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I absolutely believe that Herman will be the coach next year because - wishful thinking fan fiction aside - his ass would have been fired already if we were going to do it.  

We’re going to fire him after signing day now, because somehow it’s better pulling a bait and switch on recruits and then watching them leave when we fire the coach and it’s too late to salvage the class?   We’re going to fire him after he closed out the season with a blowout win and only 1 more loss after OU?

His ass would have been gone after OU or Iowa State if it were happening.   His ass should have been gone after either of those, or 2019, or hell after the second Maryland game.   But I just don’t understand why people think we would wait if it’s happening.   Sumlin and Muschamp and everyone else that needs firing is getting fired after a loss during the season.  That’s how college football works now, and it’s what makes sense with the new recruiting timeline for early signing day.

Yep.  Remember we were looking for any reason to fire him?  Well guess what, he ain't fired afte 1-4 vs ou and no conference titles in 4 years.  Tom Herman is our coach for the foreseeable future.  We aren't gonna pay a 25 mil buyout for Matt Campbell

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Florida just killed any chance they had of making the playoffs with as stupid a penalty as you'll ever see.  CCG game against Alabama next week.  Assuming they lose as expected - does Mullen look our way at all? 

Who throws a shoe?

mike meyers who throws a shoe GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

The sad truth is there are only a handfull or fewer coaches that are worthy of a 7 figure paycheck. The vast majority of the rest are just picking pockets of universities that are  chasing the  hope and dreams for their alums and fans.

The salaries are fuckin stupid. I'm almost in favor of grabbing Traylor or a really cheap G5 coach if it's not one of the big fish.

Edited by Bevo14

17 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I absolutely believe that Herman will be the coach next year because - wishful thinking fan fiction aside - his ass would have been fired already if we were going to do it.  

We’re going to fire him after signing day now, because somehow it’s better pulling a bait and switch on recruits and then watching them leave when we fire the coach and it’s too late to salvage the class?  

Make the right hire and that class sticks around.

But then again, if we made the right hire and fired Tom before then, the class would only improve.

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

The sad truth is there are only a handfull or fewer coaches that are worthy of a 7 figure paycheck. The vast majority of the rest are just picking pockets of universities that are  chasing the  hope and dreams for their alums and fans.

What makes you say that?

Oh, yeah....

Kevin Sumlin wins by year as HC:

• 2011 - 12
  • 2012 - 11
  • 2013 - 9
  • 2014 - 8
  • 2015 - 8
  • 2016 - 8
  • 2017 - 7
  • 2018 - 5
  • 2019 - 4
  • 2020 - 0

Wish I could fail that bad while getting paid 6-7 figures.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

What makes you say that?

Oh, yeah....

Kevin Sumlin wins by year as HC:

• 2011 - 12
  • 2012 - 11
  • 2013 - 9
  • 2014 - 8
  • 2015 - 8
  • 2016 - 8
  • 2017 - 7
  • 2018 - 5
  • 2019 - 4
  • 2020 - 0

Wish I could fail that bad while getting paid 6-7 figures.

Holy shit that's fantastic.  I guess he's no longer a functioning alcoholic.  

• Haha 2

Barring a playoff birth Mullen is just as gettable now as he was yesterday but this may speed up the process. 

One bad loss on a weird night where they were a once in a lifetime penalty from getting to OT and winning should not change our opinion on him. Get him a top flight DC and he'd shine here in a heartbeat 

Edited by Sir Ulrich
  • Hook 'Em 3

Just now, RGBIII said:

Feel like Mullen is more gettable now...

I still want to chase Meyer. Damnit! 
I understand all about Plan B and there are names on there I do think could certainly be better for the program than Herman. I am just not ready to move past Urban. If I have to I will rally for another candidate. But I’m not there yet. All this negative energy just makes me stronger! Lol.

• Hook 'Em 5

56 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From Nahlin:   That reminded me of this from earlier today. This is from a guy in the know.   “Looks like a lawyer wrote it. I don’t believe for one ****ing second they are shutting this down.”     ‘This’ being a search.       And   You have four columns capable of pushing change (but not always necessarily getting it) and three are on the same exact page: president, donors, and BOR.  You have one, the AD, who is tasked with being the voice of the university on these matters. He has to play his position differently than the other three columns for reasons I just stated.

So CDC statement had to be handled delicately, and had "lawyer language".  Got it.    😋

Just now, LTtxfan said:

So CDC statement had to be handled delicately, and had "lawyer language".  Got it.    😋

For recruits and parents because they don’t understand nuance and lawyer language bro. Do you even look down on people bro? 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

Well I’m willing to say it isn’t you know who for now. The conspiracy theories make us look kinda dumb

Agree. I can't believe anyone thinks the romancing of the Meyer deal is over. 

This one isn't over. Things got in the way, but he asked for our best offer.

This deal in the works surfaced prematurely before it was even half-baked. Deals of this size take time. 

We are past the flirty stage. Meyer is asking to see the package in its full glory - make it simple, and memorable.

Spoiler

++++++++++++++

troph - didn't you put together corp deals at one point? You know how complicated deals a deal in this environment would be - and the parties have haven't settled on participants and numbers. Meyer is asking for our last and best offer. I would assume that is in the works.

If it's not, why not?  All that has to be done quietly and surface when the time is appropriate. There is no way Meyer is becoming the story at OSU - especially if the lose. It's a good reason to root for them this year. And a good time for Meyer to create a winter home (for year round use). 

Hook 'em

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Apologies I was late for night shift but its really not hard to say, if you already know you are keeping Tom, "Tom Herman will be coaching the Texas Longhorns at our first game next season.  We believe Tom is the right coach for our team."  Sure Tom could get caught doing lines off a strippers ass or get a DWI and get canned but that can happen at any time. You don't say "barring some unforseen circumstances Tom Herman will be our coach at our first game next season"

If you aren't sure but you need recruits to stay on board you say what CDC said.

Tom may already know and he and CDC have an agreement to play this out and Tom gets his 15M.  Tom probably already knew exactly what CDC was going to say so if someone asked about it he already has a canned answer.

There is no way in hell Tom knows. It would leak out. That's guaranteed. You don't tell someone they're fired and expect them to keep it quiet. 

There’s too much now saying it’s not Meyer.  I mean it could be but this isn’t a corporate deal, it’s an employment offer.  A month is a long long time for an executive deal.  3 months? 4? And with all the smoke saying the UM deal isn’t happening? It’s unlikely.  Truth is our climate suuuucks for someone as great as he is. I hate to say it but Texas BMD and weak AD and academics involved makes the power dynamics a cesspool. And now you have every major media outlet saying Herman is staying.  That’s stupid if Meyer is in the bag.  I just don’t buy it. The simplest theory is Texas fucked it up again. 

Edited by troph

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We’re going to fire him after signing day now, because somehow it’s better pulling a bait and switch on recruits and then watching them leave when we fire the coach and it’s too late to salvage the class?   We’re going to fire him after he closed out the season with a blowout win and only 1 more loss after OU?

His ass would have been gone after OU or Iowa State if it were happening.   His ass should have been gone after either of those, or 2019, or hell after the second Maryland game.   But I just don’t understand why people think we would wait if it’s happening.   Sumlin and Muschamp and everyone else that needs firing is getting fired after a loss during the season.  That’s how college football works now, and it’s what makes sense with the new recruiting timeline for early signing day.

we don't and never have worked that way. I thought we might have changed but apparently we haven't. Herman being here is obviously still in play but CDC's statement actually gives me hope.

The options I see are 

1. CDC has already told Herman he is staying - unlikely given the milquetoast statement

2. Herman has been told he is gone and Urban is our guy but doesnt want to interrupt tOSU

3. Herman hasn't been told he is gone, CDC is non committal in private to him, and we are checking our options(which include Urban, others, or potentially keeping Herman)

4. Herman has been told he is gone and we are checking our options

Herman has 15M reasons not to burn this down and to play this out straight with effort.  AD's will call CDC to ask how Herman handled the end.  We will pay him as if he is a top 10 coach next year for doing absolutely nothing if he wants.

IMO, we are going after a big fish.  We aren't hiring a guy from G5 or lower P5 that we know will come right away and won't worry how it will affect his current team.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic