Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

7 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Until there is a change, there is in fact no change. So really there is nothing to infer or not. It’s really about whether you want to believe hearsay and rumor. But I will listen to reason, and would like to know what reason CDC would say this now and then fire him in January or before the 2021 season. And it isn’t recruiting.

Since you insist on reason, what's your definitive basis for conclusively stating it's not recruiting?

Nonetheless,  if you want another reason I'll give you one.  The pressure on UM and his guys at tOSU in the midst of playoff contention was getting problematic.  This statement takes some pressure off until their season is over and UM then makes his move.  I don't know if I believe this, but I want to.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I’ve gotten bashed a good bit on here for saying I think CDC is a lightweight. I still think that, but I don’t think today’s statement has anything to do with that. Anyone melting down over it and the retards at the AAS need to hand the keys to the night crew.

Day Shift has been relieved. Night Crew has the Con. 

Huck mentioned earlier that it's like none of these dipshits has ever been around when a coach was about to be fired, & they haven't ever heard the noncommittal vote of confidence we've all heard a 1000 times. I just switched over to an interview with an F1 team boss a minute ago, and literally within a few seconds I heard him say "We're giving Alex every opportunity. No decisions will be made until after the season". Most people think Alex is gone, and nobody is freaking out over the boss's words, thinking he's more likely to keep his job now. This boss basically said the exact same thing CDC said, but here, we have dipshits running around wrapping themselves up in their "Jump to Conclusions Mats" to protect themselves from the sky that's falling. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Cool your jets and look at the part where he says he's going to wait till the end of the season. 

Really? This is what you guys are shitting your pants over? I wasted the last three minutes surfing back through this thread to see the actual quote to find the least confident "vote of confidence" in the history of the universe. 

If that's the exact quote,  Herman is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

I'm friends with one billionaire. As billionaires go, he's a decent guy and a Texas grad. He told me just yesterday that while he is not closely connected to the situation, he has friends that are and thought there was an all out push to get Urban. I felt pretty good about things, now this

don't post here no more

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, David Wooderson said:

The retards at AAS should hand the keys to the bank and shut the fuck down. The day they post or publish anything meaningful is the day hell freezes over. 

I really wanted to rep you for this. Then I remembered that one of my great grandfathers worked at the Statesman for something like 40 years. Probably wouldn't be good karma.

But the more I read tweets from Bohls and Davis the more that I question what the fuck is going on at that paper.

14 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Until there is a change, there is in fact no change. So really there is nothing to infer or not. It’s really about whether you want to believe hearsay and rumor. But I will listen to reason, and would like to know what reason CDC would say this now and then fire him in January or before the 2021 season. And it isn’t recruiting.

Head coach asks AD for a vote of confidence to help with recruiting. 

AD gives a vote of confidence. 

Surly poster asks why AD would give a vote of confidence and says recruiting can't be the answer. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

Why do you think CDC is a lightweight? One example of perceived incompetence will suffice.

Herman extension was unnecessary. Eyes debacle was handled very poorly by him (and all involved). He had to take a back seat on the UM stuff. Shaka Smart is our basketball coach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Why is rep limited? Fuck Herman.

Yes FTH! This will never change. I know he is an arrogant meathead but for him to have really zero support/friends as far as BMDs and Belmont is fascinating. It takes skill to inspire that much dislike. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I really wanted to rep you for this. Then I remembered that one of my great grandfathers worked at the Statesman for something like 40 years. Probably wouldn't be good karma.

But the more I read tweets from Bohls and Davis the more that I question what the fuck is going on at that paper.

I've been here since 1977. In that time, the Statesman has never been worth a shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Woodrow Call said:

I'm friends with one billionaire. As billionaires go, he's a decent guy and a Texas grad. He told me just yesterday that while he is not closely connected to the situation, he has friends that are and thought there was an all out push to get Urban. I felt pretty good about things, now this. 

Nite Crüe

10 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Herman extension was unnecessary. Eyes debacle was handled very poorly by him (and all involved). He had to take a back seat on the UM stuff. Shaka Smart is our basketball coach.

@caddox, since you think you are still in the group has there been any noise at all about CDC's statement?

Edited by nunna yo bizness

5 minutes ago, Caddox said:

It’s been covered multiple times that CDC was against the extension. Explain how the eyes debacle was poorly handled. How do you know he has taken the back seat on the UM stuff? Not for long. 

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

I've read Fenves was driving the TH extension, but that sounded off to me.

CDC has made two killer hires with the softball coach and ladies basketball coach.  Each one is an instant upgrade and made both competitive and much more fun to watch.  CDC will do the same when he replaces TH.  He knows he can’t mess this up.  Is he working on something right now?   We can only hope.  TBD.  I’m not counting out that a change is a com in’.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

So Urban is NOT happening?

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s a better chance of Ann Margaret coming.

Bears repeating, so I'll repeat it:

What a shit-ton of people don't seem to understand is that until TH is fired, CDC simply CAN'T publicly say anything other than "TH is the coach and will continue to be the coach". Otherwise, UT would be in violation of the terms of the contract and he'd get a call from TH's agent and lawyers pronto.

The overreaction here is something to see. CDC's statements were purposefully vague and written to satisfy the terms of the contract.

The season begins when the old one ends, so if Tom is still the head coach when the clock runs down to zero in the bowl game, he will have been the coach "moving forward into the 2021 season". 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

ESPN write-up doesn't paint as bad a picture as the local $9.95ers.  Basically tried for Urban, but didn't work out and $25mill buyout for someone else not likely.

Texas Longhorns AD Chris Del Conte says Tom Herman will remain football coach

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte offered a public vote of confidence in Tom Herman on Saturday, announcing that Herman will remain head coach despite a football season that fell below expectations.

The status of Herman, who is 31-18 in four seasons with the Longhorns, was the subject of much speculation throughout this season. The team's 2-2 start and failure to make the Big 12 championship game after beginning the year ranked in the top 15 nationally -- despite the return of fourth-year starting quarterback Sam Ehlinger and much of its defense -- raised questions about Herman's long-term status.

"There's been a lot of speculation about the future of our football coach," Del Conte said in a statement. "My policy is to wait until the end of the season before evaluating and commenting on our program and coaches. With the close of the regular season, I want to reiterate that Tom Herman is our coach."

Much of the attention on Herman's future was also related to the perceived availability of former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, a current college football analyst for Fox Sports.  The Austin American-Statesman reported last week, citing a source, that Meyer informed Texas officials he isn't pursuing another coaching position because of health issues. Meyer, who has won a total of three national championships at Florida and Ohio State and had a 187-32 record before stepping away from coaching in 2018, was a desired target among Texas fans and alumni.

With Meyer out of the mix, the idea of moving on from Herman and his staff -- which would require a buyout that's estimated to be $25 million -- made the idea of a coaching change that much tougher.

"When I look at our football program right now, I see tremendous young men and promising talent," Del Conte said. "Our student-athletes are developing and they play their hearts out. This has been an unprecedented year for all of us, and we're all disappointed that we didn't meet our expectations.  Like the many fans that follow and support our program, I can't help but think what could have been in 2020. There's still more work to be done, but I'm excited to watch our players and program move forward."

Herman's four seasons have been an improvement over the tenure of his predecessor, Charlie Strong, who was 16-21 in three seasons and did not record a winning season. The Longhorns will be headed to their fourth straight bowl game.

However, following a 2018 campaign in which the Longhorns played for the Big 12 championship and defeated Georgia in the Sugar Bowl to cap a 10-4 year, the Longhorns have failed to return to that level, recording 8-5 and 6-3 seasons at a program that expects to compete for conference and national championships on a regular basis.

After the 2019 season, Herman overhauled his coaching staff, bringing in new offensive (Mike Yurcich) and defensive (Chris Ash) coordinators. Herman often cited the difficult transition of installing new schemes on both sides of the ball in the unconventional, pandemic-shortened offseason as a reason the Longhorns weren't as successful in 2020.

The Longhorns were scheduled to play their regular-season finale against Kansas on Saturday, but a COVID-19 outbreak on the roster led to the game's cancellation. Texas is awaiting news on its bowl game destination.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I lol at anyone who thinks that this means Herman is DEFINITELY our coach to start the 2021 season

This shit smells like if CDC lands urban or another coach he wants, herman is fired instantly... at any time between now and September

If Herman makes it to February, he will be the head coach at Texas next season.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1

If TH is really back, after the bowl game, if there is one, I'm done! Done until Sept 4th 2021 that is. As much as I want to say fuck it, I have better ways to spend my fall Saturdays, Longhorns football is like crack, and it has been for damn near 50 years. I know it'll pull me back in, but if the early season doesn't go well I'm really really done then. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ESPN write-up doesn't paint as bad a picture as the local $9.95ers.  Basically tried for Urban, but didn't work out and $25mill buyout for someone else not likely.

Texas Longhorns AD Chris Del Conte says Tom Herman will remain football coach

Sam Khan Jr.    ESPN Staff Writer

I don't trust that aggy, either, as far as journalists go

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Bears repeating, so I'll repeat it:

What a shit-ton of people don't seem to understand is that until TH is fired, CDC simply CAN'T publicly say anything other than "TH is the coach and will continue to be the coach". Otherwise, UT would be in violation of the terms of the contract and he'd get a call from TH's agent and lawyers pronto.

The overreaction here is something to see. CDC's statements were purposefully vague and written to satisfy the terms of the contract.

The season begins when the old one ends, so if Tom is still the head coach when the clock runs down to zero in the bowl game, he will have been the coach "moving forward into the 2021 season". 

This concept is beyond day shift's ability to comprehend.

2 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

If TH is really back, after the bowl game, if there is one, I'm done! Done until Sept 4th 2021 that is. As much as I want to say fuck it, I have better ways to spend my fall Saturdays, Longhorns football is like crack, and it has been for damn near 50 years. I know it'll pull me back in, but if the early season doesn't go well I'm really really done then. 

Already emailed CDC and said due to his decision to retain Turtle that I will be cancelling my season tickets

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic