Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

I'll admit, Elliot intrigues me. But I thought Herman was almost cant miss, so my opinions are suspect. 

Risky option imo. Upside for sure but no HC experience, coming from a program that hasn't missed a beat when assistants change, and past Clemson OCs have not been good HCs

15 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

During lunch of day,  I enticed a squirrel nearby to come over while sitting outside the Union by slowly shaking an oak leaf.  He slowly walked over and saw it wasn’t food then stood up and glared at me.  I quickly fed him some food.

I was eating lunch and one of those fuckers stole an entire bag of chips from me

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We all have our misses.  I thought Tim Duncan wasn’t athletic enough to be an elite NBA player when he was coming out of college.

When I was at UT, my lifelong dentist (Dr. Shriver on Rio Grande) told me after Earl's Heisman season that he just didn't think the Rose would do that well in the pros. I immediately began to question every recommendation the guy had ever made regarding dental procedures.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Harsin was 61-5 at Boise State as OC. Mack brought him in, but I guess decided that Harsin didn't know enough about offense so he named Applewhite as Co-OC. Bet that sat well with Harsin. He's done alright as a HC. Lincoln Riley's roots are in offense. I'd prefer CUM, but if he ain't comin'. 

I doubt if Harsin would have made some of the amateurish calls that we've seen out of Herman. Sometimes it seemed as if Herman only started watching football a few years ago, Mensa'd into Houston, got lucky, then got in over his head.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Arkansas State Red Wolves (Sun Belt Conference) (2013)
2013 Arkansas State 7–5 5–2 T–1st GoDaddy*    
Arkansas State: 7–5 5–2 * Departed Arkansas State for Boise State before bowl game
Boise State Broncos (Mountain West Conference) (2014–present)
2014 Boise State 12–2 7–1 1st (Mountain) W Fiesta 16 16
2015 Boise State 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (Mountain) W Poinsettia    
2016 Boise State 10–3 6–2 T–1st (Mountain) L Cactus    
2017 Boise State 11–3 7–1 1st (Mountain) W Las Vegas 22 22
2018 Boise State 10–3 7–1 T–1st (Mountain) First Responder[a 1] 23 24
2019 Boise State 12–2 8–0 1st (Mountain) L Las Vegas 22 23
2020 Boise State 5–1 5–0        
Boise State: 69–18 45–8  

Total:

76–23

3 losses a year...at Boise. They were rolling better that that before he took over. No thanks. 

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Umm have you paid attention to the soap opera of the last 24 hours?

Fans on message boards crying because they're too slow to understand how things work so they let Chip Brown and Kirk Bohls do the thinking for them isn't really a huge issue for a P5 coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Looks great.  What’s is your rub recipe?

I can’t remember the exact ratios.  What I’m using here is pretty much an all purpose rub that my cookoff partner and I buy in bulk from a guy in Deer Park.

Although I’ve won a few cookoffs with just salt and pepper.

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

21 mill buyout for Gus...but but but but the OPTICS!!!

SC had no problem shit canning Muschamp earlier. Auburn knows they have to get out in front of their rivals. They know what’s important. No doubt they have their list of names and will pounce. While we make non -statements about our shit HC. FML. 

id bet that their list has a few names that we’d be looking at. I wish I had money. I’d fly a banner around campus. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Thoughts on a better option? Not sure I can come up with one if UM stays away. 

Not one this year other than UM. Harsin in the same boat with about 5-10 other “prospects”. Yes, better than Herman, just not enough to where they’d turn Texas around instantly like UM would.

Keep Herman, give him and his coordinators a full offseason to get it together and start your vetting process now for his replacement next year in case we stumble again.  No Covid excuse, smaller buyout = easier firing. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

I can’t remember the exact ratios.  What I’m using here is pretty much an all purpose rub that my cookoff partner and I buy in bulk from a guy in Deer Park.

Although I’ve won a few cookoffs with just salt and pepper.

RGBIII mentioned Meat Church Holy Gospel last weekend.  I got to give that a try.  Winning with just salt and pepper is impressive.

Edited by Horn80
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Risky option imo. Upside for sure but no HC experience, coming from a program that hasn't missed a beat when assistants change, and past Clemson OCs have not been good HCs

How's that HC experience working out for Mensa or Charlie?

Meanwhile OU's last 2 hires were coaches with no HC experience, and that worked out pretty well.  Ohio State.  Clemson.

HC experience is overrated, IMO.  You have to be a good fit for the job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Some schools know what they’re doing

That must be nice. I’m currently trying to pretend that I’ve been in the Matrix the last decade and CTJ is really Morpheus and he’s just trying to wake us all up. 

There are a couple of great options for Auburn that would be a fit. Freeze is certainly one. Napier and Sark. In a bit Chadwell will be the hottest girl on the corner. Not this year but it will happen. 

Meanwhile OU's last 2 hires were coaches with no HC experience, and that worked out pretty well.  Ohio State.  Clemson.

It doesn’t matter what coach gets suggested, someone’s gunna have a problem with some aspect(s) of hiring them. Maybe it’s warranted, but other than Urban, we might have to hold our noses a bit and let it play out. A lot of us ain’t know shit about how some of these guys would work out.

44 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I’m guessing it’s Elliot. Supposedly his name was floating around a lot with the Houston BMDs

That would be a hell of a choice to make.  Firing a guy with a winning record and replacing him with a coordinator who has never been a head coach at any level.

*I should add that I don't think its a bad choice - just not what would usually be expected.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Day and Riley were handed programs running at a high level. So half of your examples are not applicable to the actual job at hand. 

1 minute ago, Wishbone said:

Nothing has happened?

Right. Texas didn’t make a full court press for Urban Meyer and Texas has not been talking to potential candidates other than Meyer. Literally nothing has happened. Jesus fucking Christ people get ahold of yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Harsin was 61-5 at Boise State as OC. Mack brought him in, but I guess decided that Harsin didn't know enough about offense so he named Applewhite as Co-OC. Bet that sat well with Harsin. He's done alright as a HC. Lincoln Riley's roots are in offense. I'd prefer CUM, but if he ain't comin'. 

I doubt if Harsin would have made some of the amateurish calls that we've seen out of Herman. Sometimes it seemed as if Herman only started watching football a few years ago, Mensa'd into Houston, got lucky, then got in over his head.

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Arkansas State Red Wolves (Sun Belt Conference) (2013)
2013 Arkansas State 7–5 5–2 T–1st GoDaddy*    
Arkansas State: 7–5 5–2 * Departed Arkansas State for Boise State before bowl game
Boise State Broncos (Mountain West Conference) (2014–present)
2014 Boise State 12–2 7–1 1st (Mountain) W Fiesta 16 16
2015 Boise State 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (Mountain) W Poinsettia    
2016 Boise State 10–3 6–2 T–1st (Mountain) L Cactus    
2017 Boise State 11–3 7–1 1st (Mountain) W Las Vegas 22 22
2018 Boise State 10–3 7–1 T–1st (Mountain) First Responder[a 1] 23 24
2019 Boise State 12–2 8–0 1st (Mountain) L Las Vegas 22 23
2020 Boise State 5–1 5–0        
Boise State: 69–18 45–8  

Total:

76–23

Harsin is a good option. After the last debacle he left in a hurry, and who could blame him. Herman has to go, so if the option is Harsin then make it happen. Meyer would have been the deal of course but thats over time to get someone that can get things going in the right direction again. The coaching searches have been handled horribly, the next move needs to be handled professionally and choices made and secured without leaks and behind the scenes failures.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic