Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The Auburn move shows everyone, including a lot of people on this board, how out of touch our administration is. Unless the right guy is hired for CDC, I don’t see him lasting much longer.  The guy has failed miserably in handling this. There is zero reason he (Herman) should have seen fucking December. 

My man, I know we have beefed in the past but we are in alignment here! Just goes to show you how shitty Herman is!

16 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

No, it's not "my money, my terms." With an annual budget of over $200 million, no single alum contributes enough money to have individual say over any hiring decision within the athletics department. Hell, NIKE contributes more to UT athletics than any BMD. Should we give Phil Knight the ability to dictate every hiring and firing decision at UT, mind you with no accountability whatsoever?

Bill Powers nixed the Saban hire because it usurped his authority to make hiring and firing decisions. He was right to do what he did, given the circumstances. he also clearly re-established the authority of the university president to make all hiring and firing decision, not the regents.

To now change things and give people who have not proven themselves to be adept at coaching decisions total authority over hiring decisions would be very ill-advised. Who is going to manage the problems when the AD and the football coach do not have a good working relationship because the coaching hire was forced upon the AD? Does anyone think Eltife will be handling the mess he makes if this is what happens? Hell no.

We don't need unaccountable regents micromanaging the athletics programs. We don't need Eltife running around hiring whoever he wants to replace whichever coach he wants replaced on any given whim. If Hartzell and CDC are incapable of managing their responsibilities, replace them. But don't force decisions upon them and then hold them accountable for Eltife's bad hiring decisions.

Eltife is a political hack, not an athletics savant. His political connections are what got him appointed regent. His political connections don't give him the authority to micromanage every decision he chooses throughout the system. We don't need political hacks involving themselves where they have no expertise. Eltife (and the rest of the Regents) needs to focus on his responsibilities and leave the responsibilities of others to others.

The only way UT athletics is ever going to get cleaned up is by hiring capable people, letting them do what they were hired to do, and holding them accountable for their decisions. We need to start doing this now. It is the only way UT athletics will ever get set right. In many ways, its the BMDs who are holding UT athletics back. Their interference in managing the various programs is unfair to the kids who come to UT to compete. This "look at my money, I get to fuck up UT athletics without any consequences because I'm rich" bullshit has got to end.

I've been willing to listen to your point of view, but if you're now telling us Powers killed the Saban deal just to show the BMDs who's the boss, and you're defending it then I'm done listening.  That hissy fit fucked over our football program for most of a decade and maybe longer, instead of being a good leader and working to fix the issues without killing the very program involved.

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I'd advise against looking at Auburn as an example of anything we should follow. They have no plan and are the kings of "ready fire aim" when it comes to coaches.

Why? They value football and made a football decisions in getting rid of their coach. It doesn't have all the bullshit attached to it that WE as a university has created with the piss poor handling we've done with Herman.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Literally nothing will stop these recruits in the 21 class from just using the portal in the  spring and getting immediate eligibility when they use covid as their excuse to transfer.

Easier to keep someone enrolled with a home run hire coach than to keep them committed without a head coach or knowledge of who will be your head coach for the next 3-4 years

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? They value football and made a football decisions in getting rid of their coach. It doesn't have all the bullshit attached to it that WE as a university has created with the piss poor handling we've done with Herman.

Don't misconstrue my comments as approval for how we are handling things. 

It's just not good to look at Auburn as an example of much that we should do - they are even more dysfunctional than we are. 

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I honestly do not get CDC’s motivation here. He’s a politician and he’s not even playing the politics correctly. There are 3 guys who raised their hands and said “Im in for 1/3 of the buyout. Go get us a new coach.”  CDC risks nothing here. There is universal political and financial support for a new coach.  His personal downside in fighting this is tremendous. Yet, here we are. So now we are going to change coaches and the perception on CDC will be “no thanks to this guy.” 

I've wondered if he promised the players, recruits, and staff that Tom would be back, without having the power to really promise that.  Dangerous game to play if you value your word.

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

The Auburn move shows everyone, including a lot of people on this board, how out of touch our administration is. Unless the right guy is hired for CDC, I don’t see him lasting much longer.  The guy has failed miserably in handling this. There is zero reason he (Herman) should have seen fucking December. 

CDC has (at least) a $40 million hole in his budget for 2019/2020 and another $40 million for 2020/2021. I don't see any BMDs signing up to pay either of those off, yet people want to create (yet another) $40 million hole because of Tom Herman.

I will judge CDC on his ability to manage the current financial challenges without having to cut programs and take opportunities away from the students. he was hired to turn the entire athletics program around, to manage realignment, and to set a new direction after the post-Deloss malaise. I'm not going to push to have him fired after two years because people want to micromanage his decisions.

There are far bigger issues at hand than Tom Herman. Or Shaka. Or Pierce.

Keeping Herman for the 2021 season was the responsible thing to do, even if it is unpopular with "the loudest voices in the room." Personally, I don't like herman and never has. I have long felt he cluelessly expended goodwill with the hiring of Casey Horny and the recruitment or Reese Leitao. Herman doesn't understand he is no longer the smartest person in the room any more and he needs to up his game. He hasn't performed up to expectations. I agree he is a problem

But two months after letting people go and instituting pay cuts for staff of not the time to act as if money is no object. At least not if the goal is to clean up Bellmont and get it headed in the right direction. No college athletics program has unlimited financial resources. Now is the time to start moving in the right direction and making unpopular decisions. That is what CDC is trying to do. If the fucking Regents would do their jobs and quit trying to do CDC's, I am sure it would be in the interests for everyone who supports UT and UT athletics.

As demonstrated by the back-and-forth here, whether to fire a coach before having a replacement in-hand is a subject on which reasonable (and unreasonable) minds can disagree.

There's a lot of pros and cons, ins, outs, and what-have-yous.  It comes up every damn time a coach is fired and there's never any resolution about "the right way to go."

There is no right answer to that question.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

And if Burton's reporting is inaccurate, there is no reason why Tom Herman should still be employed.

Agreed, but if his reporting is inaccurate, Tom Herman will be the head coach at Texas next season.*

* Unless we land Urban Meyer.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

I’m not saying it’s a good reason, but NSD1 is the reason he is still employed. 

I don't disagree.  That said i think there is a bigger reason.  My guess is that CDC has always been on the keep Tom train IF we can't get Urban.  All while the BMD's are pushing for Tom to be out asap.  I think Tom is telling the truth when he says he and CDC talk daily.  I would bet Tom has put enough doubt into CDC to be cautious regarding Urban jerking the program around after the whole tOSU fiasco.  Who knows what else he has told him about URB.  That's why, imo, Tom is not gone.  CDC is unsure.  If no URB CDC wants Tom, because who else is there and it saves money.  If URB does give a final no it will be interesting with regard to CDC.  I almost expect him to justify keeping Tommyboy over the advisement of the BMD's.  CDC's job is already on the line either way.  BMD's are upset he didn't deliver URB and will try and the counter there is no one better on the market.  Sonny Dykes anyone?  It will be interesting to watch it unfurl.      

Edited by RollLeft

7 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I don't disagree.  That said i think there is a bigger reason.  My guess is that CDC has always been on the keep Tom train IF we can't get Urban.  All while the BMD's are pushing for Tom to be out asap.  I think Tom is telling the truth that he says he and CDC talk daily.  I would bet Tom has put enough doubt into CDC about being cautious regarding Urban jerking the program around afterthe whole tOSU fiasco.  Who knows what else he has told him about URB.  That's why, imo, Tom is not gone.  CDC is unsure.  If no URB CDC wants Tom.  If URB does give a final no it will be interesting, i almost expect it, to see CDC fight for Tommyboy over the advisement of the BMD's.  CDC's job is already on the line either way.  BMD's are upset he didn't deliver URB and will try and will argue there is no one better on the market.  Sonny Dykes anyone?  It will be interesting to watch it unfurl.      

I agree that there's a bigger reason, but I don't think it's that CDC really wants to keep Herman.

He just doesn't see anything other than Meyer as being a home run hire or even a sure-fire improvement on Herman.  And those that might be are otherwise occupied until after the CFP.

What hurts CDC worse than the perception that he's bungled so far?  Hiring another Tom Herman or Charlie Strong.

And what makes that possibility as strong as it could be?  Shitcanning Herman right now.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I agree that there's a bigger reason, but I don't think it's that CDC really wants to keep Herman.

He just doesn't see anything other than Meyer as being a home run hire or even a sure-fire improvement on Herman.  And those that might be are otherwise occupied until after the CFP.

I’m not sure Urban was ever CDCs guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

It appears there has been some good news? Can someone point me to the page it’s on so I don’t have to read the last twenty in search of it?

Page 628

The night crew or whatever the fuck they call themselves are a bunch of degenerate drunks who live in an echo chamber that is Caddox. Guy comes on and gets them all worked up with new information wire loops and they all start sucking his dick like a bunch koi fish being fed food. 

Literally the information he gave has already been discussed as a possibility 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

Page 628

The night crew or whatever the fuck they call themselves are a bunch of degenerate drunks who live in an echo chamber that is Caddox. Guy comes on and gets them all worked up with new information wire loops and they all start sucking his dick like a bunch koi fish being fed food. 

Where has it been "reported" or discussed that UM literally told us he was happy with the offer we made?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I’m not sure Urban was ever CDCs guy.

That's probably accurate but if he felt holier than though and pissed be didn't get his way then all he had to do was let it happen then bounce to any AD job he wants because "Landed a top 5 football coach of all time" goes a long way on a resume. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Eltife has no business being involved with the hiring decisions on the UT Austin campus. We have someone (Hartzell) assigned that job. If he isn't up to it, then he needs to be replaced. If people are going to be involved in decisions, they need to be public about their involvement and be willing to be held accountable. This bullshit of regents interfering and then not being held accountable is unacceptable.

The dysfunction isn't within Bellmont. It goes all the way to the top of the UT System. If Eltife wants to be President of UT Austin, let him apply for the job. If he wants to be AD at UT Austin, let him apply for the job. If not, he needs to worry about his individual responsibilities as Regent and let others do their assigned job. If Hartzell is incapable of handling oversight of Bellmont, then Eltife needs to fire his ass and find someone who can do the job.

The one thing we don't need at the end of this is people micromanaging the responsibilities of supine, spineless twits who aren't capable of handling the responsibilities they are being paid to handle. What's next, Eltife calling plays during games? The bullshit micromanaging has got to end. We need competent people held accountable for their decisions, not Regents needlessly involving themselves in the jobs of others.

Hey interesting concept when changing an organization buy in is critical. CEOs make sure their board and investors are onboard as they take new paths. This is Hartzell driving the bus.

5 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Page 628

debbie downer GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Caddox said:

Where has it been "reported" or discussed that UM literally told us he was happy with the offer we made?

Its been talked about that Meyer could still be in play. Thats not new. Listen I hope Meyer is indeed our coach come January. You may have inside info but you were very wrong last week. 

43 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If Burton's reporting is accurate, there is no reason why Tom Herman should still be employed.

39 minutes ago, Caddox said:

The only thing I can think of is theres recruiting help for the next guy if Herman stays through NSD1 and wins the bowl game. 

Crystal Conte wrongly believes that keeping Herman on until they have their guy gives us the best chance for the future, particularly as it pertains to talent acquisition. All that would have happened had he been fired 2-8 weeks is the diehard committed would have stayed committed and most would have held off on signing on NSD1, waiting to see what UT ultimately did with the hire. Instead, we're going to have guys signing after a limp dick endorsement of the current HC. When we fire Herman, any of those guys can immediately transfer if they don't like the new guy. Texas gains nothing from the actions taken by CC recently. 

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I've wondered if he promised the players, recruits, and staff that Tom would be back, without having the power to really promise that.  Dangerous game to play if you value your word.

Nothing has been promised regarding Fuckface. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Caddox said:

I have pretty much been on this thread daily and what has been discussed/posted/heard/intimated: We approached UM. He was interested. All of the sudden he was not. Some 9.95 reports and other posts indicated that he wanted certain things like an Assistant AD for football, etc... and we were not willing to give that? Then it went to UM is declining to take the HC position at this time due to health reasons. Then people were posting etc...that UM was not completely dead in the water but it barely had a pulse. Then it was we are keeping Herman because no one wants to pay the buyout and pay for new unknown quantity of HC if it is not UM. Then CDC statement. Which has already been picked apart. Then it is we have a Plan B (coaches not named UM) and we are actively pursuing and TOM is still DMW. NOW it is UM is still being pursued and it never really stopped (that pursuit) and he has always been in play and there is a good chance>

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, DanTheHorn said:

Hey interesting concept when changing an organization buy in is critical. CEOs make sure their board and investors are onboard as they take new paths. This is Hartzell driving the bus.

Hartzell doesn't have the political capital to start making major changes. He is too new on the job. If he starts micromanaging the responsibilities of his subordinates, he will lose what support he has and face an complete revolt from the academic side. Internal politics play a big part in the operations of any university. For Hartzell to send the message he intends to interfere in every employee's responsibilities would be career suicide.

We need to be solving problems, not creating bigger ones.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

I have pretty much been on this thread daily and what has been discussed/posted/heard/intimated: We approached UM. He was interested. All of the sudden he was not. Some 9.95 reports and other posts indicated that he wanted certain things like an Assistant AD for football, etc... and we were not willing to give that? Then it went to UM is declining to take the HC position at this time due to health reasons. Then people were posting etc...that UM was not completely dead in the water but it barely had a pulse. Then it was we are keeping Herman because no one wants to pay the buyout and pay for new unknown quantity of HC if it is not UM. Then CDC statement. Which has already been picked apart. Then it is we have a Plan B (coaches not named UM) and we are actively pursuing and TOM is still DMW. NOW it is UM is still being pursued and it never really stopped (that pursuit) and he has always been in play and there is a good chance>

don't get fired from your new job

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby Burton

Member Who Talks

While there was a public statement of support for coach Tom Herman put forth over the weekend by Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte, high-ranking officials at the University continue to consider various coaching options and are resolved to hold a more thorough coaching search following conference championship games that are to be played this weekend, going possibly until the end of bowl season and the NFL regular season, according to two different sources within the university.

“This is not over, not at all,” one university official said of the coaching situation yesterday. A second official told Inside Texas that Del Conte made a mistake in releasing the show of support and that the final statement was “watered down” by other officials.

Inside Texas continues to report that Del Conte will not make the decision of Herman’s future in a silo, nor even have the largest sway in the decision to replace him. Instead, it is a group of three, including university president Jay Hartzell and board of regents chairman Kevin Eltife, along with Del Conte.

Other factors will contribute to any coaching change, including the money available to the university to pursue such a change created by the contract buyout of Herman and several assistants, which total to around $25 million.

While Del Conte has privately bemoaned the amount of money it would take to change coaches and used it as a political factor in any such decision, other universities seem to eschew such problems. Yesterday, Auburn decided to terminate its coach, Gus Malzahn, who is owed a $22 million buyout.

Furthermore, Inside Texas has been told that the money is there for the Longhorns to change coaches. Unlike what has been previously reported, Inside Texas is told that the money is there for any number of candidates vetted, not just for Urban Meyer, who was the initial candidate that galvanized alignment from several donors and the three university officials in charge of the decision.

Inside Texas has been told that the Horns will look at possible college coaches involved in conference championship games and in the NFL, so long as they have head coaching experience in either the pros or colleges.

If this correct or even close, then CDC needs to be shown the door.

It's sad when aggy looks more decisive than we do when it comes to hiring and firing coaches.   As much as we hate admit it, it's true.   Sumlin had a similar run at aggy and after a season like Tom just had, he was fired.   And then they went ahead and rolled the dice at got Jimbo.   Math aside in how much they paid to get rid or one and bring in another, they still made a statement.   Do they win an SEC championship or get an invite to the playoffs?  Nope..  This year is the closest they will get to it....   It's fool's gold...    

And now we can just look at Alabama aggy (Auburn) and they did the same thing.

We are nothing but a paper tiger if this stands.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

Its been talked about that Meyer could still be in play. Thats not new. Listen I hope Meyer is indeed our coach come January. You may have inside info but you were very wrong last week. 

Im not sure I was wrong. Theres a reasonable chance the UM deal is done in principle. Basically everyone involved in the process is acting like it is. CDC is clearly on the outside of that group. UM himself has acted suspiciously like he is going to coach again, and he refuses to close the door on us publicly despite having every possible opportunity to do so. Thats not talking about "still being in play". Thats talking about the idea that a successful process has already taken place, and to bring it home we will just have to wait for the landscape to change. No one is reporting that, and no one is really discussing that seriously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

If this correct or even close, then CDC needs to be shown the door.

It's sad when aggy looks more decisive than we do when it comes to hiring and firing coaches.   As much as we hate admit it, it's true.   Sumlin had a similar run at aggy and after a season like Tom just had, he was fired.   And then they went ahead and rolled the dice at got Jimbo.   Math aside in how much they paid to get rid or one and bring in another, they still made a statement.  

And now we can just look at Alabama aggy (Auburn) and they did the same thing.

We are nothing but a paper tiger if this stands.  

$9.95ers who don't know football vs. BMD who don't know football

We will always be a "paper tiger" if we stay in the big12, we can have OU type seasons where we go win the big12 and get embarrassed in the playoff. Serious defensive recruits don't want to come to this league. Our DL depth doesn't even come close to matching the eye test of the big SECSECSEC schools or Ohio State. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Caddox said:

Im not sure I was wrong. Theres a reasonable chance the UM deal is done in principle. Basically everyone involved in the process is acting like it is. CDC is clearly on the outside of that group. UM himself has acted suspiciously like he is going to coach again, and he refuses to close the door on us publicly despite having every possible opportunity to do so. Thats not talking about "still being in play". Thats talking about the idea that a successful process has already taken place, and to bring it home we will just have to wait for the landscape to change. No one is reporting that, and no one is really discussing that seriously. 

I'm pretty sure Burton said UM is still in play and he would be revisted once the season was over. Burton also said CDC is on the outside looking in. Again no one is going to be surprised if CUM is in fact hired.  Litterally everything you just stated has been discussed. Meyer not saying No publicly meaning something potentially? That has been talked about on this thread at length. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Crystal Conte wrongly believes that keeping Herman on until they have their guy gives us the best chance for the future, particularly as it pertains to talent acquisition. All that would have happened had he been fired 2-8 weeks is the diehard committed would have stayed committed and most would have held off on signing on NSD1, waiting to see what UT ultimately did with the hire. Instead, we're going to have guys signing after a limp dick endorsement of the current HC. When we fire Herman, any of those guys can immediately transfer if they don't like the new guy. Texas gains nothing from the actions taken by CC recently. 

Nothing has been promised regarding Fuckface. 

I have nothing to add really, other than stating that "Crystal Conte" is a childish but nevertheless fantastic addition to the Surly lexicon.  

• Haha 2

Just now, Zeus said:

We will always be a "paper tiger" if we stay in the big12, we can have OU type seasons where we go win the big12 and get embarrassed in the playoff. 

I have no love for the B12 in its current incarnation, but it's far more competitive than the ACC, and yet Clemson has no problem winning the CFP.  OU getting blasted in the CFP is an OU thing, not a B12 thing. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We are Cal

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic