Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

I'm pretty sure Burton said UM is still in play and he would be revisted once the season was over. Burton also said CDC is on the outside looking in. Again no one is going to be surprised if CUM is in fact hired.  Litterally everything you just stated has been discussed. Meyer not saying No publicly meaning something potentially? That has been talked about on this thread at length. 

I think there is a difference between revisiting UM and executing a contract hes already agreed to in principle. Im not saying for sure thats the case, Im saying its possible it really is done and we are being mind fucked into thinking its not. Bobby Burton isnt saying that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have pretty much been on this thread daily and what has been discussed/posted/heard/intimated: We approached UM. He was interested. All of the sudden he was not. Some 9.95 reports and other posts indicated that he wanted certain things like an Assistant AD for football, etc... and we were not willing to give that? Then it went to UM is declining to take the HC position at this time due to health reasons. Then people were posting etc...that UM was not completely dead in the water but it barely had a pulse. Then it was we are keeping Herman because no one wants to pay the buyout and pay for new unknown quantity of HC if it is not UM. Then CDC statement. Which has already been picked apart. Then it is we have a Plan B (coaches not named UM) and we are actively pursuing and TOM is still DMW. NOW it is UM is still being pursued and it never really stopped (that pursuit) and he has always been in play and there is a good chance>

Not one mod has said that. Pure board speculation parroting alleged insiders.  But, who are the two most "renowned" insiders here?  Both of them haven't said we were favored to land Urban.  

9 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Im not sure I was wrong. Theres a reasonable chance the UM deal is done in principle. Basically everyone involved in the process is acting like it is. CDC is clearly on the outside of that group. UM himself has acted suspiciously like he is going to coach again, and he refuses to close the door on us publicly despite having every possible opportunity to do so. Thats not talking about "still being in play". Thats talking about the idea that a successful process has already taken place, and to bring it home we will just have to wait for the landscape to change. No one is reporting that, and no one is really discussing that seriously. 

While I agree on this.  Urban is a professional coach.  He won't utter the word Texas in regards to the head coaching position until that position is open.  Its like the #1 unwritten rule in the history of coaching.

If health was really an issue, he would have already said I'm done because of my brain spider cyst.  he's actually said the opposite.  He wants to coach again as long as it is the perfect situation. less than 5 of those in college exist IMO.

Urban Meyer will be on the sidelines for someone soon.  He's not done.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I have nothing to add really, other than stating that "Crystal Conte" is a childish but nevertheless fantastic addition to the Surly lexicon.  

If you do voice to text and say Chris Del Conte quickly that is what comes up.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I have no love for the B12 in its current incarnation, but it's far more competitive than the ACC, and yet Clemson has no problem winning the CFP.  OU getting blasted in the CFP is an OU thing, not a B12 thing. 

Defense isn't a thing in the Big12. You get thrown out of the game for blowing up a bubble screen in this pussy conference. It's a joke conference, which is why every game is 48-50 with the final drive of every game deciding the outcome.

Clemson is stacked with NFL talent across the DL

Lack of defense in the big 12 isn't just a meme, it's reality. Yes big 12 offenses are more high powered than SEC offenses, but the entire game is played differently in the SEC. Lots of games are ball control dog fights, not 7 on 7 scrimmages. 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/texas-sports-nation/college/article/Emmanuel-Acho-Q-A-FS1-Uncomfortable-Conversations-15714328.php

Q: Why have Texas and so many other Texas schools struggled so much on defense in recent years?

A: Defense has gotten harder to play across college football to the point where Nick Saban himself recently said defense no longer wins championships. The Big 12 hasn’t had great defenses since TCU or Texas in 2012 or 2013 or when I was there with (defensive coordinator) Will Muschamp.

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not one mod has said that. Pure board speculation parroting alleged insiders.  But, who are the two most "renowned" insiders here?  Both of them haven't said we were favored to land Urban.  

Hence, the first sentence of my post which you quoted. Shouldn’t you be humping something? 😃🤘🏼

DCED87E3-14C4-4243-BC33-BF89E7C19C40.gif

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

While I agree on this.  Urban is a professional coach.  He won't utter the word Texas in regards to the head coaching position until that position is open.  Its like the #1 unwritten rule in the history of coaching.

If health was really an issue, he would have already said I'm done because of my brain spider cyst.  he's actually said the opposite.  He wants to coach again as long as it is the perfect situation. less than 5 of those in college exist IMO.

Urban Meyer will be on the sidelines for someone soon.  He's not done.

Doesn't look like USC is open and I don't think he'd go to Auburn or Michigan.  It should be us, unless we screw this up.  Also I heard he coveted the Dallas job.  Odd that he'd want to be with Jerry.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

None of it makes any sense. In fact, I don’t see much of anything associated to the Texas HC job/replacement making any sense. As such, you could tell me almost anything right now and I’d at least have to consider it. That appears to be the mood of this entire thread, as well. 

The most lucid thing I've heard yet.

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

We must be in the SEC to win. If we're not in the SEC then we'll never be great like SEC teams or this other team who's not in the SEC but is still great and coincidentally takes a lot of recruits from Texas where we're located. 

Great post.

Independant

Ohio State and whoever else takes defensive players from Texas because they don't want to play on shitty defenses in a league where all the defenses are shitty. The style of play in the big 12 is like a 7 on 7 scrimmage, holding is allowed and normal hits get you thrown out of the game. Not a fun place to play DL. 

You can fire the coach an infinite amount of times and the league isn't going to change. It's been this way for 12+ years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Independant

Ohio State and whoever else takes defensive players from Texas because they don't want to play on shitty defenses in a league where all the defenses are shitty. The style of play in the big 12 is like a 7 on 7 scrimmage, holding is allowed and normal hits get you thrown out of the game. Not a fun place to play DL. 

You can fire the coach an infinite amount of times and the league isn't going to change. It's been this way for 12+ years.

fail planet earth 2 GIF by BBC Earth

• Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I have pretty much been on this thread daily and what has been discussed/posted/heard/intimated: We approached UM. He was interested. All of the sudden he was not. Some 9.95 reports and other posts indicated that he wanted certain things like an Assistant AD for football, etc... and we were not willing to give that? Then it went to UM is declining to take the HC position at this time due to health reasons. Then people were posting etc...that UM was not completely dead in the water but it barely had a pulse. Then it was we are keeping Herman because no one wants to pay the buyout and pay for new unknown quantity of HC if it is not UM. Then CDC statement. Which has already been picked apart. Then it is we have a Plan B (coaches not named UM) and we are actively pursuing and TOM is still DMW. NOW it is UM is still being pursued and it never really stopped (that pursuit) and he has always been in play and there is a good chance>

Can we pin this to the top and have Nicole update as new information comes to light?

• Haha 1

Looking at this from the media angle a bit. One reason why the pansy ass endorsement of Herman was a mistake was it will give ammunition to the Texas haters in mainstream/national media.  It has now been accepted as word of faith amongst this clique that Herman has been endorsed by the athletic department and is coming back. So when he does get fired whenever the fuck, it will be painted as a sign of indecision/meddling/dysfunction. Whoever decided to release that statement, did not think this through along this axis. If it was CDC, it is a major ding on his scorecard.

Edited by horn_of_the_morning

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Doesn't look like USC is open and I don't think he'd go to Auburn or Michigan.  It should be us, unless we screw this up.  Also I heard he coveted the Dallas job.  Odd that he'd want to be with Jerry.

I'd think Michigan and Fla State are out(just due to history).  I know it isn't open but I could see Miami. Location(spinnershells), recruiting, and private university.  Same for USC.  private university is the one thing we can't offer.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, jinx said:

Can we pin this to the top and have Nicole update as new information comes to light?

It isn’t the best summary though. Someone can do a way better job. 

in my zoom meeting, glitches fixed, and this guy Bob shouts out, “hey I have this great document that can really clarify things and streamline the process moving forward.”

Leader of the meeting: “That’s fantastic. Can you send it to everyone, Bob.”

Bob: “uh sure. I’d be happy to.  I am not sure where it is. Haven’t looked at it for a while. Let me look for it.”

lmao

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Hartzell doesn't have the political capital to start making major changes. He is too new on the job. If he starts micromanaging the responsibilities of his subordinates, he will lose what support he has and face an complete revolt from the academic side. Internal politics play a big part in the operations of any university. For Hartzell to send the message he intends to interfere in every employee's responsibilities would be career suicide.

We need to be solving problems, not creating bigger ones.

At the beginning politically smart CEOs  are cautious but also know their subordinates that may lead a revolt are being cautious. So to me bringing a board member onboard would be smart since you're getting support from higher ups making sure the minions know it. This would put the breaks on a revolt and give you leeway to do what Hartzell is doing and driving the bus the way he would want too even if he is new.

Edited by DanTheHorn

27 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I have nothing to add really, other than stating that "Crystal Conte" is a childish but nevertheless fantastic addition to the Surly lexicon.  

The implication being that CDC is an indecisive pussy, @closetojumping?

How many football coaches has he hired as an AD, anyway? David Baliff at Rice? I honestly don't know, but it's foolish to think Hartzell, Eltife, and the BMD's aren't gonna be involved in this call with the capital investment we/they've made. 

The Big 12 is the best option. I think we have discussed this enough in the realignment threads.

This coaching situation could not be more convoluted and confusing. I am sure the recruits are very excited to sign with us this week so they can share in all the uncertainty and surprises.

3 minutes ago, Zeus said:

okie dokie buck wake me up and pull me out of the snow when any big 12 team plays good defense

That wasn't your argument, that Big 12 teams don't play good defense... your argument was as to why that is, and I just don't fully agree with you.

Your point completely ignores that we also don't happen to be getting the best offensive talent anymore, either. Is it because of weak targeting calls and poor defense that we're not getting the best linemen anymore, also?

Just now, DFW Horn said:

The implication being that CDC is an indecisive pussy, @closetojumping?

How many football coaches has he hired as an AD, anyway? David Baliff at Rice? I honestly don't know, but it's foolish to think Hartzell, Eltife, and the BMD's aren't gonna be involved in this call with the capital investment we/they've made. 

Is this how other schools do it? I mean they all also have BMDs. It just seems kind of messed up not to have the guy hired to run the athletic department do his job.

I guess this is a "war is too important to let generals run it" kind of thing.

1 hour ago, nunna yo bizness said:

I've been willing to listen to your point of view, but if you're now telling us Powers killed the Saban deal just to show the BMDs who's the boss, and you're defending it then I'm done listening.  That hissy fit fucked over our football program for most of a decade and maybe longer, instead of being a good leader and working to fix the issues without killing the very program involved.

The funny part about his post is that Powers in part nixed Saban because of one BMD's promise of future donations, and then had to fire Mack when another BMD threatened to never donate to the school again. I have to admit, he's good at this fan fiction though. 

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I guess the Auburn decision makers and BMD's were not concerned with NSD1.  Apparently they are not sniveling pussies when it comes to canning dead weight in their football program. 

It's not like Auburn had anything to lose regarding NSD1. Our 2021 class puts theirs to shame. You want to make ours look like theirs, fire our coach right before without a better alternative.

31 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Urban Meyer will be on the sidelines for someone soon.  He's not done

If Urban had said he wanted to coach and accept the job Herman would have been fired already. Herman isn't fired because Urban either said No or hasn't said yes. The longer that goes the less likely he says yes, and IMO once December 16 hits and he's not on board it's over. No way if he wants to take the job he would wait until after he's stuck with a class he had no control over when he could have had a couple of weeks to perform last minute changes and exert control over the class. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's not like Auburn had anything to lose regarding NSD1. Our 2021 class puts theirs to shame. You want to make ours look like theirs, fire our coach right before without a better alternative.

Fire the coach after NSD1 then the class just transfers anyway so it really doesn't matter but holding onto a dead weight lame duck piece of shit coach isn't the right answer.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Why are people confused about CDC?

If he's a politician, and most politicians are idiots, then why is it surprising that he is acting like a moron?

How is he a politician? He is an administrator, the people whose job is to cover for politicians. You cannot be a moron in a job like that, at least not for long.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

if del conte truly is on the outside looking in on the fucking head football coaching search...man.

From what I have been told on these boards the only time our Athletic Director hired the football coach was when Dodds hired John Mackovic. Is this normal? I have no idea.

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

If Urban had said he wanted to coach and accept the job Herman would have been fired already. Herman isn't fired because Urban either said No or hasn't said yes. The longer that goes the less likely he says yes, and IMO once December 16 hits and he's not on board it's over. No way if he wants to take the job he would wait until after he's stuck with a class he had no control over when he could have had a couple of weeks to perform last minute changes and exert control over the class. 

the transfer rule changes this calculus.  He may be out but what you are saying is it is over because we aren't firing Tom and hiring Urban in the next 2 days.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

From what I have been told on these boards the only time our Athletic Director hired the football coach was when Dodds hired John Mackovic. Is this normal? I have no idea.

From what I've seen about the Jimbo hire the BMDs said here's a blank check go get him. So probably not that uncommon 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic