Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

26 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

oh fucking bullshit

Urban JUST NOW started kicking the tires on an NFL career? And he JUST NOW decided "you know, a guy who hasn't coached in twenty years is just the person to ask about it"...? He has no one else he can ask, and he's only just now (a year into his SECOND retirement from coaching) calling up people to ask about the NFL?

fucking retarded bullshit

Look, I’m no FCB fan but your failure to actually read what he is reporting is hilarious. He’s not suggesting he just now began the process of evaluating the NFL. You just invented that in your head and flipped out. The reality is, part of the reason we have to wait on our coaching candidates is the real chance the NFL hires multiple coaches we are looking at. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

So somebody that is tied to the CFP. Either UM or Kelly right?

Urban Meyer is tied to the CFP like Michael Scott was related to Jan’s baby. If you honestly think he’s waiting to see if his son in law is available or a supporting staff coach then, well ok. He’s likely just evaluating all of his options including not coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

So somebody that is tied to the CFP. Either UM or Kelly right?

Iowa State also plays 1/2, Florida 12/30....dont think this says anything about someone directly involved in the CFP. Even if it was someone like Mullen, no way we have him wrapped up in 2020...that would literally be a New Years eve interview/negotiation and a hiring that same day. Hell between Xmas and New Years nothing would be quick like that even if the coach played this week before Saturday. Shit, we play a week from tomorrow. This timeline tells us nothing about who, except maybe that it is a CFB guy since NFL season still has a ways to go and that the coach we want is coaching in a bowl

12 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Urban Meyer is tied to the CFP like Michael Scott was related to Jan’s baby. If you honestly think he’s waiting to see if his son in law is available or a supporting staff coach then, well ok. He’s likely just evaluating all of his options including not coaching. 

Agreed.  To me, Urban is ruthless enough to do whatever benefits him, consequences be damned.  He may reconsider us, yes.  Possible

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Look, I’m no FCB fan but your failure to actually read what he is reporting is hilarious. He’s not suggesting he just now began the process of evaluating the NFL. You just invented that in your head and flipped out. The reality is, part of the reason we have to wait on our coaching candidates is the real chance the NFL hires multiple coaches we are looking at. 

Don't be facile. The implication is that Urban calling Jimmy Johnson of all people is portentous. It's not, if it even happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

I'm pretty certain Clemson will beat Ohio State, so Urban can begin hiring his cronies on January 2nd.  

I dunno man, OSU is salty this year even though they have limited appearances. That is going to be a good game. It wouldn't surprise me to see them in the title game. 

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

ND won't win on the 1st so by the next day or so we will know if he's a realistic target or not. If both tOSU and ND loses with no smoke then we could probably assume that Campbell is the target who doesn't play until the 2nd. 

But if tOSU wins and we hear absolutely nothing for a few days then we can feel pretty good that UM is coming to town after the CFP final.

Or we're waiting for Kubiak to get bounced in round 1...

Minnesota's season is already over, but their last game is officially Jan 3rd.

Yeah, I don't believe for 1 minute that Kelly is leaving ND where he has them winning, making the CFP, and even making the championship game this past decade.  I do believe that he's going to take that ridiculous salary we'll offer him and leverage a raise from ND.  It's probably going to be Matt Campbell...

3 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Here's a list of NFL jobs likely to come open or already open: Jets, Jags, Lions, Bengals, Broncos, Texans, Falcons.  None of these seem particularly attractive. I'm guessing Meyer might be waiting to see if the Cowboys job comes open. 

Cowboys thread is ----->

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Here's a list of NFL jobs likely to come open or already open: Jets, Jags, Lions, Bengals, Broncos, Texans, Falcons.  None of these seem particularly attractive. I'm guessing Meyer might be waiting to see if the Cowboys job comes open. 

Jags have a decent amount of young talent, a bunch of draft picks, and just took over the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.  I would think its a fairly attractive job assuming you don't think you're going to go in and win 12 games year one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Not sure that a guy who loves control as much as Urban allegedly does, is ever going to be willing to be Jerry Jones' yes-man.

In fact I'm quite certain that's among the worst jobs in the NFL for any head coach that wants any measure of control.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Jags have a decent amount of young talent, a bunch of draft picks, and just took over the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.  I would think its a fairly attractive job assuming you don't think you're going to go in and win 12 games year one.

Could Urban deal with losing that much?  Has he ever stepped into a situation where losing 12 games in your first year is realistic?

Also, we've covered this a bunch, but his wife has said he's not interested in the NFL.  CFB is just making up bullshit, like normal.  That or he got so drunk that he wrote himself a note that said, "Urban calls JJs" not knowing Urban is a big fan of Jimmy John's

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Just now, utee94 said:

Not sure that a guy who loves control as much as Urban allegedly does, is ever going to be willing to be Jerry Jones' yes-man.

In fact I'm quite certain that's among the worst jobs in the NFL for any head coach that wants any measure of control.

Yeah but it's the Cowboys you dolts! It's like you didn't read 6th streets comment. Or maybe you just aren't annoying Cowboys blowhards.

2 minutes ago, ElChupacabra said:

Urban is coming to Texas. It'll be announced the day after tOSU's season is *completely* finished. He'll be in Austin, standing at attention, bagmen in tow, with that cheeky fucking grin on his face just knowing that he's about to turn college football on its head. And we shall rejoice and drink hard liquor and be merry and a percentage of our population will undoubtedly be taken into custody. 

comb.io - Lethal Weapons

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but it's the Cowboys you dolts! It's like you didn't read 6th streets comment. Or maybe you just aren't annoying Cowboys blowhards.

Oh I'm definitely an annoying Cowboys blowhard.  I just don't think Urban would ever work for Jerry Jones.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, I don't believe for 1 minute that Kelly is leaving ND where he has them winning, making the CFP, and even making the championship game this past decade.  I do believe that he's going to take that ridiculous salary we'll offer him and leverage a raise from ND.  It's probably going to be Matt Campbell...

Could be, but if Campbell is really waiting until after his bowl game, that’s several weeks of recruiting and progress lost. I’m surprised he’d do that. I guess Scott Frost set that precedent.

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

The Jags are very attractive. They are currently sitting with the #1 overall pick (Trevor Lawrence), and 10 additional picks. They will also have $100 million is cap space. That money goes a long way with a QB on a rookie deal. IMHO, they are the #1 threat to Texas for UM right now.

For fuck's sake, Mike McCarthy has 4 more years left on his contract. He has essentially a clean slate starting next season thanks to Dak's injury. It's more than likely he's going to coach through the end of his contract. Urban Meyer isn't waiting that long to re-enter coaching and it's been made abundantly clear that he's not coaching in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, FloridaHorn said:

The Jags are very attractive. They are currently sitting with the #1 overall pick (Trevor Lawrence), and 10 additional picks. They will also have $100 million is cap space. That money goes a long way with a QB on a rookie deal. IMHO, they are the #1 threat to Texas for UM right now.

counterpoint, have you ever been to Jacksonville?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Could be, but if Campbell is really waiting until after his bowl game, that’s several weeks of recruiting and progress lost. I’m surprised he’d do that. I guess Scott Frost set that precedent.

Campbell is a seriously loyal guy. It’s not surprising at all to me that he’d want to wait until after the bowl. A NY6 bowl for ISU is a big fucking deal.

I also don’t think Campbell is nearly as worried about short-term recruiting as some guys. He’s much more focused on development and culture, and his success at ISU probably reinforces that belief for him, right or wrong. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think most coaches would do that...I mean it could also negatively affect recruiting leaving your team for another team within your conference a week before your bowl game. Still have a month till NSD2 and the 2020 recruiting class at this point is pretty much a done deal anyway. First or second week of January makes the most sense regardless of the coach that comes in