Urban Meyer or bust

BurntOrange&White

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I still have no different view from the Meyer side.  As a result, my enthusiasm derives at this point only from RVC2005, Caddox, Alphahorn, and CTJ on the Texas side. Otherwise, I would have thought this isn't happening, despite believing two weeks ago Meyer would kill for this job.  This could be extremely good negotiating by Meyer. Who is his agent again?

I feel like negotiating is done, we're just waiting until Herman's time at texas is called. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Humidor

Scenarios 1-2

Scenario 1 (Urban Meyer)

We’re throwing out much of what we’ve heard, and we’ve heard it all by this point, and focusing on our handful of best sources. The most negative external point of view we’ve received is credible. The one we trust to tell us if Texas hears a ‘no’ is as unimpeachable as Burton has said. 

As far as the supposed ‘no’ Texas heard earlier in the week, it was actually an ”I need more time.” 

Probably not coincidentally to that “I need more time,” it was interesting to see facilities demands become public, especially since Texas is already in the middle of significant upgrades. These were also items discussed with Urban Meyer in the early stages. Pete Thamel making those concerns public creates a sense of urgency. The South End Zone will be ready for 2021 and the new practice fields/bubble have been on the table for months, long before any discussions with Meyer. As one source put it, “are those Urban’s demands, or Hartzell’s and Del Conte’s to boosters?”

These are concerns that are easily assuaged. If there’s one thing Texas has, it’s money. I took this becoming public as a good sign.

One common theme we’ve heard is Urban could struggle to get the coaches and support personnel he needs. We’ve heard he won’t be able to get a couple of them, but those guys are all in the middle of their season. Whether it’s real or not, or a potential deal breaker, we don’t know.

We know money isn’t an issue. That is clear. That means, looking for Urban to gain leverage at every turn is probably a waste of time. He already has all the leverage he needs.

We don’t think family or health is an issue, at least to the point it would scuttle the deal. That’s pretty clear. We were assured this week Del Conte wouldn’t let things get this far only to have health serve as the stick in the spokes.

Again, getting ”his guys” to leave Ohio State seems to be the main issue and that could certainly affect his want to coach again. 

But if he truly wanted to coach again, he’d pick up the phone and give Texas a ‘yes’ by Sunday morning at the latest. 

Scenario 2 (Herman stays)

This may need an addendum that states “for now.” 

If Meyer declines then Del Conte finds himself in uncertain waters this weekend. They have worked on contingencies for Meyer but to this point a consensus pick hasn’t been revealed. That would mean Scenario 3 (comprehensive search) and Scenario 4 (swinging — and missing — for then fences) are in play. 

More likely is Scenario 3.5 emerges (an excellent hire, better than, say, Matt Campbell, but not with the star power of Meyer or Scenario 4) but that development would play out after championship weekend and perhaps after the NFL season.

We don’t think Herman will be back, but if Meyer declines, things necessarily will play out longer. 

Team Ahead of K-State

Don't tell these players the season is over, at least the ones still on the team. A prideful contingent are preparing for three more games: K-State, Kansas, and a bowl game. 

Tom Herman is still trying to win out, but he’ll need to replace a bevy of experienced players due to players opting out or injury. From our vantage, this actually makes the games more intriguing as we’ll get to see more of the younger players.

The offensive line was hit hard by Sam Cosmi‘s announcement to opt out and presumably enter the NFL draft. Making matters worse, senior center Derek Kerstetter has suffered an ankle injury and likely won’t play. He has been at practice and would be available to play guard if needed.

True freshman Jake Majors will get the start. He had a solid week of practice and knows the calls. But we’ll see how his play transfers from the practice field to the pressures of Saturday. K-State is always a fight up front.

With Cosmi out, Christian Jones has moved to left tackle. The expected o-line for Saturday is: Christian Jones - Junior Angilau - Jake Majors - Denzel Okafor - Reese Moore.

This is not set in stone as the rotation changed often this week. If Kerstetter suits up and plays, he’d be at guard with Okafor playing tackle.

Captain Caden Sterns also opted out, which could open the door for true freshman Jerrin Thompson. Thompson has opened eyes with his maturity and coachability since the minute he stepped on campus. He should plenty of reps on Saturday as part of a rotation with BJ Foster and Chris Brown. 

Juwan Mitchell practiced later in the week and should be available after missing time earlier in the week.

Joshua Moore and Kelvontay Dixon practiced this week and will be available. We don’t expect Dixon to transfer even if his brother, Keaontay Ingram, does. 

[Note: Ingram may be waffling on his intentions to leave the program.]

Recruiting Matters

One prospect in the 2021 class who continues to have serious interest in Texas despite the disappointing season and coaching rumors swirling is Cy-Fair running back L.J. Johnson. He has consistently remained in contact with the Texas staff through the ups and downs. While Johnson could easily pick Texas A&M, Johnson continues to give those close to him the feeling UT is right there. He’s seemingly looking for a reason to pick Texas. If he truly wanted to be committed to A&M, it would have happened already.

DeSoto DE/DT Shemar Turner is going the other way. Texas A&M has the momentum in this one, despite Turner continuing to have communication with members of the Texas staff. Turner is likely to sign December 16th, and the confidence on the Aggie‘s side is at an all-time high. 

There was a Texas commitment who was wavering earlier this week, but the Texas staff has kept him in the fold for now. This is a player IT has heard has been wavering behind the scenes for a few weeks, but now the Texas staff is at the point of having to battle all the rumors swirling around the program with less than two weeks until the early signing period, which begins December 16th and runs through December 18th.

#####

Note: We’ve gained a lot of new business and the transition isn’t going nearly as bad as the old bards of the board will have you believe. We do ask that if you start a post, let there be some meat on it. 

Also, if you like the content, please tell a fellow Horn. If you don’t like the content, tell a Sooner or Aggie.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I still have no different view from the Meyer side.  As a result, my enthusiasm derives at this point only from RVC2005, Caddox, Alphahorn, and CTJ on the Texas side. Otherwise, I would have thought this isn't happening, despite believing two weeks ago Meyer would kill for this job.  This could be extremely good negotiating by Meyer. Who is his agent again?

I get some comfort from all the 9.95ers saying it's still up in the air. I don't think they'll report a yes until it's being announced (bc they'd be in such hot water with their sources) and I would think we'd have knowledge of a firm no unless it just happened

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

He not have made a decision yet but I believe the negotiating is done.  

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They are friends. Let's not dismiss the fact that Mack Brown coached here and ran shit for well over a decade. Anyone looking at this job will seek his opinion, even if they decide he's full of shit. That's just an exec doing their homework. 

Has Urban called you yet, Greg?

• Haha 2

Mack Brown actively trying to fuck us still? I get it from his POV. Sucks. He could have been an all timer but for a couple tragic flaws. Still a great career on balance, just short of legendary. 
hell, even with his tragic flaws he should have won 3 MNC’s but for shitty injury luck in 09 and Blake Gideon plus BCS fuckery in 08. 
probably no great 15 year run has ever amounted to less ultimate success than he had. Play it out 100 times and I think what we got from 98-2009 is like a 30th percentile outcome. 

50 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Seriously, the people who can't read the tea leaves regarding Herman need to open their eyes. He's gone. I don't know if Urban Meyer is going to replace him, but Herman is finished. 

Is that just wishful thinking? What tea leaves are you reading?

The issue is every game all season except Baylor has been one possession last drive decides it or overtime. Don't know what the odds are on that but it's insane.

3 minutes ago, HillaryFan420 said:

Unctuous

Had to google that one. Learned something today....and completely agree with your use of the term (now that I know wtf it means).

TLTS (too lazy to search);    note: I deleted a lot of the "similar" to save room...still extremely long list.

adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a person) excessively or ingratiatingly flattering; oily.
    "he seemed anxious to please but not in an unctuous way"
    Similar:
    sycophantic
    self-abasing
    cringing
    hypocritical
    insincere
    adulatory
    effusive
    slick
    slippery
    oily
    greasy
    nauseating
    sickening
    slimy
    bootlicking
    phoney
    sucky
    brown-nosing
    saponaceous
    pinguid
    vulgar slang
    bum-sucking
    ass-kissing
    kiss-ass
  2. 2.
    (chiefly of minerals) having a greasy or soapy feel.

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Humidor

Scenarios 1-2

Scenario 1 (Urban Meyer)

We’re throwing out much of what we’ve heard, and we’ve heard it all by this point, and focusing on our handful of best sources. The most negative external point of view we’ve received is credible. The one we trust to tell us if Texas hears a ‘no’ is as unimpeachable as Burton has said. 

As far as the supposed ‘no’ Texas heard earlier in the week, it was actually an ”I need more time.” 

Probably not coincidentally to that “I need more time,” it was interesting to see facilities demands become public, especially since Texas is already in the middle of significant upgrades. These were also items discussed with Urban Meyer in the early stages. Pete Thamel making those concerns public creates a sense of urgency. The South End Zone will be ready for 2021 and the new practice fields/bubble have been on the table for months, long before any discussions with Meyer. As one source put it, “are those Urban’s demands, or Hartzell’s and Del Conte’s to boosters?”

These are concerns that are easily assuaged. If there’s one thing Texas has, it’s money. I took this becoming public as a good sign.

One common theme we’ve heard is Urban could struggle to get the coaches and support personnel he needs. We’ve heard he won’t be able to get a couple of them, but those guys are all in the middle of their season. Whether it’s real or not, or a potential deal breaker, we don’t know.

We know money isn’t an issue. That is clear. That means, looking for Urban to gain leverage at every turn is probably a waste of time. He already has all the leverage he needs.

We don’t think family or health is an issue, at least to the point it would scuttle the deal. That’s pretty clear. We were assured this week Del Conte wouldn’t let things get this far only to have health serve as the stick in the spokes.

Again, getting ”his guys” to leave Ohio State seems to be the main issue and that could certainly affect his want to coach again. 

But if he truly wanted to coach again, he’d pick up the phone and give Texas a ‘yes’ by Sunday morning at the latest. 

Scenario 2 (Herman stays)

This may need an addendum that states “for now.” 

If Meyer declines then Del Conte finds himself in uncertain waters this weekend. They have worked on contingencies for Meyer but to this point a consensus pick hasn’t been revealed. That would mean Scenario 3 (comprehensive search) and Scenario 4 (swinging — and missing — for then fences) are in play. 

More likely is Scenario 3.5 emerges (an excellent hire, better than, say, Matt Campbell, but not with the star power of Meyer or Scenario 4) but that development would play out after championship weekend and perhaps after the NFL season.

We don’t think Herman will be back, but if Meyer declines, things necessarily will play out longer. 

Team Ahead of K-State

Don't tell these players the season is over, at least the ones still on the team. A prideful contingent are preparing for three more games: K-State, Kansas, and a bowl game. 

Tom Herman is still trying to win out, but he’ll need to replace a bevy of experienced players due to players opting out or injury. From our vantage, this actually makes the games more intriguing as we’ll get to see more of the younger players.

The offensive line was hit hard by Sam Cosmi‘s announcement to opt out and presumably enter the NFL draft. Making matters worse, senior center Derek Kerstetter has suffered an ankle injury and likely won’t play. He has been at practice and would be available to play guard if needed.

True freshman Jake Majors will get the start. He had a solid week of practice and knows the calls. But we’ll see how his play transfers from the practice field to the pressures of Saturday. K-State is always a fight up front.

With Cosmi out, Christian Jones has moved to left tackle. The expected o-line for Saturday is: Christian Jones - Junior Angilau - Jake Majors - Denzel Okafor - Reese Moore.

This is not set in stone as the rotation changed often this week. If Kerstetter suits up and plays, he’d be at guard with Okafor playing tackle.

Captain Caden Sterns also opted out, which could open the door for true freshman Jerrin Thompson. Thompson has opened eyes with his maturity and coachability since the minute he stepped on campus. He should plenty of reps on Saturday as part of a rotation with BJ Foster and Chris Brown. 

Juwan Mitchell practiced later in the week and should be available after missing time earlier in the week.

Joshua Moore and Kelvontay Dixon practiced this week and will be available. We don’t expect Dixon to transfer even if his brother, Keaontay Ingram, does. 

[Note: Ingram may be waffling on his intentions to leave the program.]

Recruiting Matters

One prospect in the 2021 class who continues to have serious interest in Texas despite the disappointing season and coaching rumors swirling is Cy-Fair running back L.J. Johnson. He has consistently remained in contact with the Texas staff through the ups and downs. While Johnson could easily pick Texas A&M, Johnson continues to give those close to him the feeling UT is right there. He’s seemingly looking for a reason to pick Texas. If he truly wanted to be committed to A&M, it would have happened already.

DeSoto DE/DT Shemar Turner is going the other way. Texas A&M has the momentum in this one, despite Turner continuing to have communication with members of the Texas staff. Turner is likely to sign December 16th, and the confidence on the Aggie‘s side is at an all-time high. 

There was a Texas commitment who was wavering earlier this week, but the Texas staff has kept him in the fold for now. This is a player IT has heard has been wavering behind the scenes for a few weeks, but now the Texas staff is at the point of having to battle all the rumors swirling around the program with less than two weeks until the early signing period, which begins December 16th and runs through December 18th.

#####

Note: We’ve gained a lot of new business and the transition isn’t going nearly as bad as the old bards of the board will have you believe. We do ask that if you start a post, let there be some meat on it. 

Also, if you like the content, please tell a fellow Horn. If you don’t like the content, tell a Sooner or Aggie.

slight hedge on Herman coming back.  If we let him coach a bowl game, well good luck

6 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You don't?

I've held probably 12 jobs in my life and was fired from one of them. That was 20 years ago. It still pisses me off. And it was an entry-level job that nobody gives a fuck about. I wasn't run out of town on rails by a million Austinites and publicly (deservedly) dragged.

He will never again hold a job with the gravitas of Texas. 

Pretty obvious that he gives a flip and why. Fuck him.

Point made and understood.  If Urban was an up and coming coach, I could understand Mack selfishly  wanting to preserve his legacy in Austin .   Urban already has one and what he could do at Texas would be icing on the cake if you will

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think we've known each other long enough on the boards for you to know better than to derive any faith or enthusiasm from me. I have no clue whether this dude is taking the job or not and I don't think anyone besides Meyer and maybe his wife know what he's doing. I have to believe that there would be leaks by now if he had decided he was or was not doing this. There's no way more than a couple of people know anything.

I do choose to believe that Texas has done everything it could to make this happen. That surprises me. I guess if Herman remains the coach by Sunday, my opinion will change on that again though.

• Hook 'Em 3

Doubt a guy like Urban would be swayed by the biggest coaching cuck on the planet when it comes to rivalries. How much respect does Urban really have for a peer who, for decades, has rolled over on his belly for all his rivals and wants everyone to know what great friends he is with the coaches who routinely humiliated him?

I predict Mack’s pathetic bleating backfires on him.

• Hook 'Em 3

My memory is not great but, when we used to get late-night grub at the Taco Bell on the Drag (very often), I could swear that nasty ass shit was known as Pizza Pizzazz.  The discontinued TB item I've always mourned is the Taco Light...it was f'in delicious. 

One of you photoshop artistes needs to create a meme of Urbs snarfing Pizza Pizzazz on the golf cart, instead of Papa John's or whatever it was...chop chop.

And, add to your running list of shitty towns, any and all backwoods bungholes that don't have a Bell.

2 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Doubt a guy like Urban would be swayed by the biggest coaching cuck on the planet when it comes to rivalries. How much respect does Urban really have for a peer who, for decades, has rolled over on his belly for all his rivals and wants everyone to know what great friends he is with the coaches who routinely humiliated him?

Winning is so hard it scares you to death

If Herman is the coach again next year, they will be giving away tickets at HEB.  I would think CDC is smart enough to know that, but if the thought of hiring Jeff Fisher ever passed through is mind he may an fact be an idiot.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 4

I still contend that the answer can't be yes until after KSU. there will not be a credible yes answer until then.  There will be maybes and credible opinion pieces and credible reports about issues surrouding the decision (facilities, staff picks, etc.) but nothing credible like SI, ESPN, known reporters, reliable 995ers, etc. until Herman is out.  He's not fired yet. Texas does not do it that way. 

But a real no could be known now - and that we definitely don't have.  Instead we have a lot of stories about the ancillary issues, credible maybes, and no credible nos.

That's very telling.

It's either yes, or mabye, but I go back to Meyer isn't an indecisive man.  If he was a no, we would know that and a long pause maybe leads to activating plan B, and we have very little evidence of that.  If Texas was casting a net for Plan B, we would know about it, if only because agents for those coaches would want it known for their own leverage.

No inside information, just human dynamics, but I think this is more likely a done deal waiting for Sunday than it is a maybe.  I do not see any way it's a no at this time.

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

He won the conference with Colt, tho it could be argue that without VY he never makes it to 2009

He was also a fraction of a second away from losing the 2009 conference championship as well.  I still remember how angry I was watching that play unfold in real-time.  

32 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

It's been almost 20 years now (holy crap that's crazy to think it's only been that long), but correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Mack getting into dangerous territory about the time Vince came along and got us into the first Rose Bowl?   I just recall after 2003 when OUsux kicked our ass along with losing to Arkansas and ho hum Holiday Bowl against Washington State,  Mack was feeling some heat.  

Right about here is when everyone started calling for his head

sptsokla2.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Michael Knight said:

He won the conference with Colt, tho it could be argue that without VY he never makes it to 2009

Correct. We were also blessed with some amazing talent on defense which saved the day more than a handful of times as well.  Gosh dammit we had some amazing talent compared to defenses on the past few years  who can't tackle worth a shit and gives up 3rd and 17 like scenarios almost every game like clockwork. 

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Is that just wishful thinking? What tea leaves are you reading?

The issue is every game all season except Baylor has been one possession last drive decides it or overtime. Don't know what the odds are on that but it's insane.

The tea leaves that demonstrate that we're actively courting his replacement. If we don't get choice #1 we're going after choice #2, who or whatever that might be. CDC isn't going to leave a lame duck in charge for 2021. If he does, he's toast as well. If you're not buying what I'm selling, everyone besides Kurt Bowls is saying the same thing.

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Thanks for reminding me.  Ole Mack used to want to make out with every coach at the 50- yard line, post game.

Re FCB's post, is Robert Saleh the NFL guy IT is referring to?

the one thing I'm considering as big in this situation is that Herman was not hired by CDC.  yes he gave the extension but he didn't hire him.  He had to see that Herman was average and has all the insight to the warts Herman displayed with the staff he had to fire.  That staff was mostly horrific and it points right to the head coach that he hired them.

I have to believe CDC has been planning this for a while. He can't allow himself to be made the fool by Urban.  If he didn't have Urban by now we'd be hearing a ton more about others.

That said if Herman isn't gone(win or lose) and Urban announced by Monday I will be concerned.  CDC knows the recruiting timeline and while one class doesn't make or break, especially with the portal, this thing needs to get done by Monday.  12/5 was the original end of the season and the Kansas game doesn't matter in the big picture.

I know day team is hard drinkin' and more pessimistic but I think its done.  IMO, UM would have said "not interested in coaching again" by now.  he would have found a way to back out gracefully. 

Just now, dcar00 said:

the one thing I'm considering as big in this situation is that Herman was not hired by CDC.  yes he gave the extension but he didn't hire him.  He had to see that Herman was average and has all the insight to the warts Herman displayed with the staff he had to fire.  That staff was mostly horrific and it points right to the head coach that he hired them.

I have to believe CDC has been planning this for a while. He can't allow himself to be made the fool by Urban.  If he didn't have Urban by now we'd be hearing a ton more about others.

That said if Herman isn't gone(win or lose) and Urban announced by Monday I will be concerned.  CDC knows the recruiting timeline and while one class doesn't make or break, especially with the portal, this thing needs to get done by Monday.  12/5 was the original end of the season and the Kansas game doesn't matter in the big picture.

I know day team is hard drinkin' and more pessimistic but I think its done.  IMO, UM would have said "not interested in coaching again" by now.  he would have found a way to back out gracefully. 

I've heard the decision to extend came from over his head, too. Has that been refuted or corrected?

1 minute ago, ConferenceRoom said:

The tea leaves that demonstrate that we're actively courting his replacement. If we don't get choice #1 we're going after choice #2, who or whatever that might be. CDC isn't going to leave a lame duck in charge for 2021. If he does, he's toast as well. If you're not buying what I'm selling, everyone besides Kurt Bowls is saying the same thing.

ew curk bowels

Maybe I missed it in the 3200 pages, but what report exactly is everyone basing the "Texas looking for a new corch" news?

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/lists/texas-football-head-coach-candidates-tom-herman-urban-meyer-eric-bieniemy/

1 minute ago, troph said:

I still contend that the answer can't be yes until after KSU. there will not be a credible yes answer until then.  There will be maybes and credible opinion pieces and credible reports about issues surrouding the decision (facilities, staff picks, etc.) but nothing credible like SI, ESPN, known reporters, reliable 995ers, etc. until Herman is out.  He's not fired yet. Texas does not do it that way. 

But a real no could be known now - and that we definitely don't have.  Instead we have a lot of stories about the ancillary issues, credible maybes, and no credible nos.

That's very telling.

It's either yes, or mabye, but I go back to Meyer isn't an indecisive man.  If he was a no, we would know that and a long pause maybe leads to activating plan B, and we have very little evidence of that.  If Texas was casting a net for Plan B, we would know about it, if only because agents for those coaches would want it known for their own leverage.

No inside information, just human dynamics, but I think this is more likely a done deal waiting for Sunday than it is a maybe.  I do not see any way it's a no at this time.

That's what I'm thinking  too and if we beat KSU and even KU the week after, CDC could still go ahead and do it just using the old saying we need to take the program in a different direction .  If he did this week, the optics to folks outside the UT fan base and sphere would look bad even though we lost a very winnable game last week.   Only thing that would have worked to have UM or any other coach named today was if CDC would have pulled the trigger last Saturday.  

Re the tOSU 247 “insider,” I don’t give it much consideration unless it’s a mod or a dude with a demonstrable track record of hitting past scoops. As for his original scoop based on Pantoni and other tOSU staffers not having been contacted meaning that Urban is not testing interest with those he would want to join him at UT,  see the Urban-to-tOSU timeline being discussed. Those tOSU dudes have the most to lose if word gets out they’re thinking of jumping to Austin, particularly if it does and any deal that’s at the 1 yard gets Keontay’ed. They would keep their damn mouths shut and lie just like Urban did leading up to him going public re going to tOSU.
Also, back to the Urban-to-tOSU rumor fiasco as it relates to Shelley. This isn’t her first rodeo with this kind of deal and the scrutiny it invites, Urban obviously advises her on how to conduct herself in this situation. She parroted the same type as he did back then. Point being, what could be perceived as innocent slips (or indications of anything, really) on Twitter are calculated and potentially misdirection.
Seriously go listen to that call with Otey. It's an hour, but what else are you really doing?

She is a football-fn-wife and she is aligned. All points above agreed.
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

when spurrier dubbed him coach february it stuck like a pig.  Urban probably has oodles of respect for a guy like Spurrier vs. Brown.  Urban is a stone cold killer and Spurrier is a big don't give a fuck guy.  Brown has that fake persona that probably rubs guys like Urban the wrong way.  He's a pretty damn good coach but he isn't Urban or Spurrier.  Yes I know Spurrier and Brown have the same number of NC's.

• immamac changed the title to Urban Meyer or bust
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic