Apple TV+

Lobwedgephil

i saw elba somewhere promoting it, or maybe heard him on smartless talking about it, but one of the first things he mentioned was that it was 7 hour-long episodes to simulate 7 real-life hours on the plane, so that was supposed to be some sort of hook, like 24.  seemed more like a coincidence.

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i saw elba somewhere promoting it, or maybe heard him on smartless talking about it, but one of the first things he mentioned was that it was 7 hour-long episodes to simulate 7 real-life hours on the plane, so that was supposed to be some sort of hook, like 24.  seemed more like a coincidence.

The last episode was a train wreck, but for an off-season summertime filler there's a lot of other stuff out there that's much worse.

(I know, glowing review, right?)

On 8/13/2023 at 9:43 AM, DDD Dad said:

The last episode was a train wreck, but for an off-season summertime filler there's a lot of other stuff out there that's much worse.

(I know, glowing review, right?)

I actually liked the series ok, but I completely forgot that it had ended.  That's how big of an impression the finale left me with.  I don't think I could tell you the ending.

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I actually liked the series ok, but I completely forgot that it had ended.  That's how big of an impression the finale left me with.  I don't think I could tell you the ending.

That’s like Echo 3 for me. Except I never actually watched the last episode. Penultimate was enough for me. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 2:56 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Big door prize- they opened with 3 eps available. Pacing is slow. Idea is a bit difficult to give in to, from the ethereal provenance of the machine to how it effected everyone‘s behavior so quickly.  Assuming it’s 8-10 eps like most, I imagine I’ll stick with it to see where it goes. 

And this shouldn’t be a spoiler but just to be sure

Reveal hidden contents

Also, it’s a bit strange that people are so flabbergasted that the machine gives the same people the same result with multiple uses, when it collects their ssn and fingerprints during its use. 

Burned thru this over the last week. Very quirky and the character interactions didn’t make much sense. But the weirdness kept me around. I’m interested but doubtful the writers will develop a satisfying explanation for the morpho machine.

• 1 month later...

Price going up on this, from $7 a month to $10.  That is like 40%?  And it was $5 a month like 18 months ago?  Do these people not understand how easy it is to pay nothing and just torrent the handful of shows you actually want to watch?

• 4 weeks later...

If you're interested in creepy psychological space shit where you don't understand the quantum or the physics, "Constellation" might be up your alley. I've only watched the first episode, but it set it up pretty well.

Mike from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul plays an asshole.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

Anyone watched Criminal Record?  Halfway through and don’t know if I like it or don’t like it…so I guess either way I would out it at not fantastic.

I finished it. Should have been a 2 hour movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:11 PM, bolverk said:

If you're interested in creepy psychological space shit where you don't understand the quantum or the physics, "Constellation" might be up your alley. I've only watched the first episode, but it set it up pretty well.

I’m through the three episodes that have dropped and I’m liking it. It’s starting to be evident what’s going on.

Spoiler

Obviously the Cal experiment triggered some kind of overlap between two parallel, but slightly different, universes.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

On 2/23/2024 at 9:10 PM, Hornbeliever said:

Anyone watched Criminal Record?  Halfway through and don’t know if I like it or don’t like it…so I guess either way I would out it at not fantastic.

I didn't exactly hate-watch the series but didn't particularly like it much either. Definitely picked up at the end. I thought the last 2 eps were the best of the bunch.

On 2/23/2024 at 10:11 PM, bolverk said:

Christian Pulisic with blonde hair playing the flight surgeon was unexpected 

Price going up on this, from $7 a month to $10.  That is like 40%?  And it was $5 a month like 18 months ago?  Do these people not understand how easy it is to pay nothing and just torrent the handful of shows you actually want to watch?

Except that stealing entertainment you enjoy is not a great way to encourage Hollywood to make more of that particular media. It’s also quite easy to pay $10/month for a service that consistently delivers good TV series. That’s less than one fast food lunch per month.
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Minute Bull said:

The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin.  Incredibly stupid and incredibly funny.

I couldn’t stop watching. I’m glad Noel Fielding is getting more worldwide attention and not just from The IT Crowd and the British baking shows. Funny seeing the actors from The Detectorists, Downton Abbey, etc, in it,  

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Dynasty about the New England Patriots is really good.

It's been so long, I forgot how cold-blooded Belichick was with Bledsoe, their $100M quarterback. I didn't think that Bledsoe was healthy until the very end of 2001--when the team was winning at a high level Brady--but he was medically cleared when the Patriots were 5-5 (5-3 with Tom starting). The coaches--none of them with any skins on the wall--saw in the film that an aging Bledsoe was starting to see ghosts in the pocket, even before the injury, and Belichick announced that Brady would remain the starter the rest of the year. Would have cost him his job if it went sideways. The same arrogance that convinced him that they could move on from Brady once he started to show signs of happy feet his last couple of years in NE.

The episode about Aaron Hernandez was well done too. I've never heard Patriot players open up like that about it before. Brandon Lloyd, when he joined the team and got the locker next to Hernandez, recalling Wes Welker taking him aside and warning him that Hernandez is going to fondle his junk in front of him and talk about bathing with his mother...and, whatever he does, he HAS to ignore it. Also never knew that Hernandez went to Bill and told him the his fiancee and daughter would be in danger if he stayed near Bristol, and asked to be traded to the west coast to be as far away from his hometown friends as possible. Bill said no, of course, because football.

Edited by aggie08

On 3/3/2024 at 10:10 PM, aggie08 said:

Dynasty about the New England Patriots is really good.

It's been so long, I forgot how cold-blooded Belichick was with Bledsoe, their $100M quarterback. I didn't think that Bledsoe was healthy until the very end of 2001--when the team was winning at a high level Brady--but he was medically cleared when the Patriots were 5-5 (5-3 with Tom starting). The coaches--none of them with any skins on the wall--saw in the film that an aging Bledsoe was starting to see ghosts in the pocket, even before the injury, and Belichick announced that Brady would remain the starter the rest of the year. Would have cost him his job if it went sideways. The same arrogance that convinced him that they could move on from Brady once he started to show signs of happy feet his last couple of years in NE.

The episode about Aaron Hernandez was well done too. I've never heard Patriot players open up like that about it before. Brandon Lloyd, when he joined the team and got the locker next to Hernandez, recalling Wes Welker taking him aside and warning him that Hernandez is going to fondle his junk in front of him and talk about bathing with his mother...and, whatever he does, he HAS to ignore it. Also never knew that Hernandez went to Bill and told him the his fiancee and daughter would be in danger if he stayed near Bristol, and asked to be traded to the west coast to be as far away from his hometown friends as possible. Bill said no, of course, because football.

Wife and I went and watched the Netflix doc about Hernandez after this episode. He was just a fucked up human being. 

The coming soon section on Apple TV looks so legit

Manhunt

The Bloody Hundreth

Palm Royale

Loot new season 

Franklin

Sugar

Dark Matter

Presumed Innocent 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Manhunt

The Bloody Hundreth

Palm Royale

Loot new season 

Franklin

Sugar

Dark Matter

Presumed Innocent 

Who has been clamoring for a remake of Presumed Innocent? Is Apple unaware there's been several hundred really good legal thrillers written in the past 40 years that viewers don't already know the ending of?

1 hour ago, Speedtrucker said:

The bloody hundredth? Another show like masters of the air or what?

50 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s a doc. 

Documentary with actual footage and interviews of the members of the 100th (and most of the interviews were from years ago before they died).

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Documentary with actual footage and interviews of the members of the 100th (and most of the interviews were from years ago before they died).

Well I would hope they weren’t interviewing them after they died. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

and most of the interviews were from years ago before they died

This could be the oddest sentence fragment I've ever read on Surly. As opposed to?

Edited by aggie08

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Buzzrock said:

I’m about halfway through Silo does it get better? It’s kinda boring. I’m sticking around for Rebecca Ferguson but her character is kinda moody and annoying. I’ll ride it out if there is a payoff.

It lulled a little in the middle and picked up at the end to head into season 2

On 3/6/2024 at 4:41 PM, Js1 said:

Manhunt

The Bloody Hundreth

Palm Royale

Loot new season 

Franklin

Sugar

Dark Matter

Presumed Innocent 

yeah, apple has been all about quality since launch.  you can also include severance on that list for 2026.

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’m about halfway through Silo does it get better? It’s kinda boring. I’m sticking around for Rebecca Ferguson but her character is kinda moody and annoying. I’ll ride it out if there is a payoff.

Yeah, near the last episode Ferguson gets naked and shoves a bunch of sharpies in her ass. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

d3550110bf122e70ec4a0997dc7d7349b2cca3a8

• Drool 3

8 minutes ago, semitired said:

^This, but I guess I'll stick with it since it's getting close to the end.

Oh yeah, I want a resolution.  But god damn it's horrifying / wild

Manhunt

Aftermath of the Lincoln assassination.

Good to very good 2 episodes in

This, wife and I watched 2 episodes last night. After finishing Masters of the air.

Funny to be cheering to him as Crosby and then see him portray JW Booth.

Also I didn’t even recognize Dallas’ own Glenn Morshower as VP Andrew Johnson.

Show is pretty solid so far