Apple TV+

Lobwedgephil

• 4 weeks later...

Platonic finished season 1 today.  Fantastic ending to season 1, would be perfect as a 1 season show but I hope there's more.  Byrne and Rogan have great chemistry.  Don't miss the bloopers at the end of the credits.  Might be one of the shows I consistently laughed the hardest watching in 2023.

After Party season 2 also starts today. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

We cancelled it again after Lasso S.3 and Silo finales, so as to set an example to the kids about not spending so much time on screens during summer break.  But it's been over 105 every fucking day since we got back from our trip, so fuck that.  Daddy's ordering it up again.  They can watch it for 30 minutes a day, not including watching MLS matches with Dad.  

Wife and I kinda enjoyed "After Party", but it got old real quick.  Season 2 looks like a refreshing kinda "restart", so we're in.  And we've been toying with the idea of binging "PLatonic."  Some of y'all on this thread and I share a similar sense of humor, so that clinches it---we'll binge that as well before school starts.  

Any word on when the next "For All Mankind" is coming back?  It's gotten beyond the sublime, too.  But I want to finish it and I want to be on the female lead.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:53 PM, YGIFS said:

Any word on when the next "For All Mankind" is coming back?  It's gotten beyond the sublime, too.  But I want to finish it and I want to be on the female lead.

Probably late 2024. It went 2019, 2021, 2022 but with the strike, I don’t see it finishing this year. 

Aculpuco might be the best show on Apple TV, and that's saying something considering there is Severance, Slow Horses. Silo, and more. Apples and oranges I guess, comedy vs drama. 

Drops of God was also great. Too lazy to see if that has been discussed at all.

Apple has been killing it.

Edited by thepop

Loved Platonic

Rose Byrne is hilarious...her and Rogen make a good pair.

Now watching Hijack with Idris Elba.  It's ok.  It's not believable or realistic at all, but entertaining enough...I guess.

It's gotten more and more "dumb" as it's gone on...Think we're 5 eps in?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Loved Platonic

Agreed, both those characters are so neurotic in their own ways. Its hilarious seeing their interactions. I can only take Rogen in small doses and this show is about the right amount. 

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Loved Platonic

Now watching Hijack with Idris Elba.  It's ok.  It's not believable or realistic at all, but entertaining enough...I guess.

I went to watch it the other night and learned it was a series and not a movie.  Ain't got time for all that.

6 hours ago, YChang said:

Agreed, both those characters are so neurotic in their own ways. Its hilarious seeing their interactions. I can only take Rogen in small doses and this show is about the right amount. 

It was perfect haha 

12 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

Really?  I’m digging it. Edge of your seat suspense for most of every episode. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We finished Platonic tonight. They wrapped it up pretty well to make it seem like a second season might not be necessary. The candy-themed beers that Omar was making at the end was hilarious, especially what I think was his last line of the season about Rogen needing to go unload 400 pounds of Sour Patch Kids from the truck was great.

• Hook 'Em 1

Anyone watching The Crowded Room?

Spoiler

Seems like “A Beautiful Mind” so far  can’t tell how much of anything in his story is real versus imagination  

Finished it. Enjoyed it. Critics didn’t seem to like it. Loosely based on Billy Milligan. I thought Tom Holland and Amanda Seyfried were very good. I liked the way they put you in the main character’s mind. Best to take it without knowing much about the real Billy Milligan.

1 hour ago, TexPx said:

Finished it. Enjoyed it. Critics didn’t seem to like it. Loosely based on Billy Milligan. I thought Tom Holland and Amanda Seyfried were very good. I liked the way they put you in the main character’s mind. Best to take it without knowing much about the real Billy Milligan.

I’m 3 episodes in trying to avoid any spoilers and don’t know anything about the backstory. 

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Like 1

Just watched Hijack and it’s got to be the worst series I’ve watched in some time. The writing is awful. It’s a show full of stupid people doing stupid things and it’s insulting to the viewer’s intelligence. I’m pretty sure The Walking Dead season 37 had better writing. I’m mad at myself for watching it. I expected better from Stringer Bell and Apple+.

If I was a nicer person, I would spoil it for the rest of you to remove any temptation you have to watch it. But I won’t, so you’ve been warned.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Just watched Hijack and it’s got to be the worst series I’ve watched in some time. The writing is awful. It’s a show full of stupid people doing stupid things and it’s insulting to the viewer’s intelligence. I’m pretty sure The Walking Dead season 37 had better writing. I’m mad at myself for watching it. I expected better from Stringer Bell and Apple+.

If I was a nicer person, I would spoil it for the rest of you to remove any temptation you have to watch it. But I won’t, so you’ve been warned.

We liked it for the first few episodes but by the last two, it went off the rails and the last 10 minutes of the last episode jumped the shark.

Still no premier date for “For All Mankind” season 4 but Jodi Balfour (Ellen) will be recurring, not regular. Also obviously Karen and Molly are both dead. 

Helping to fill the void for Season 4 are new cast additions Daniel Stern (Shrill, Manhattan) as Eli Hobson, the new administrator at NASA who’s been tasked with bringing the agency into the 21st century; Svetlana Efremova (The Americans) as Irina Morozova, a high-ranking Soviet official; Tyner Rushing (Under the Banner of Heaven, The Terminal List) as Samantha, a space worker on the Mars colony; and Toby Kebbell (Servant) as Miles, a former offshore oil platform worker pursuing a new job opportunity on Mars.

They have a pretty good lineup but they’ve also put out their share of duds - Invasion, Extrapolations, Surface, Hijack, Physical, The Mosquito Coast.

Although with HBO struggling under their new ownership, I probably have more confidence in Apple to deliver a quality series than anyone else.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

They have a pretty good lineup but they’ve also put out their share of duds - Invasion, Extrapolations, Surface, Hijack, Physical, The Mosquito Coast.

Although with HBO struggling under their new ownership, I probably have more confidence in Apple to deliver a quality series than anyone else.

we love physical.  the other list is pretty good.

as for hijack, not sure what you could "spoil", the show was too shitty for spoilers. 

screenwriting 101 - if you're going to give a guy a unique job and imply that he's good at it, you need to show the audience some scenes where he's actually being good at it, not just have him say, "this is what i do".

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

screenwriting 101 - if you're going to give a guy a unique job and imply that he's good at it, you need to show the audience some scenes where he's actually being good at it, not just have him say, "this is what i do".

What a weird show. It was like they had an outline for a potentially good show, and said "Screw it, let's just shoot it off this. Without 

Spoiler

an ending."

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s starting to be some smoke about Apple buying Disney’s movie/TV IP and studios. The parks would spin off into its own company with a long term licensing agreement to existing and future IP.

I think analysts been wishing for that to happen forever… but it seems to be just that. Wishful thinking. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

X10000

Kept waiting for a flash back, tie in or any reason really for his skills/job to tie in to the story. 

Instead we get 

Die Hard Hans GIF by Matt

Edited by ChickenSandwich

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s starting to be some smoke about Apple buying Disney’s movie/TV IP and studios. The parks would spin off into its own company with a long term licensing agreement to existing and future IP.

I wish they’d buy ESPN. Every game in 4k. Clean interface. Hot womens. 

7 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

but anakin and obi wan were totally best friends!

The thing about Hijack is that it should’ve never had an A-list actor as a main character. I realize they got Idris Elba for the star power to attract viewers, but that then means they wrote the script around his character, and it shouldn’t be that type of script. Potentially, a hijacking story could be decent for 6-7 hours, but not when it has a single protagonist who is present in every scene. People who hijack planes don’t allow good guys to freely roam about the plane and insert themselves into every situation. If you want to write this story and make it somewhat decent, get a committee of B-listers to play various antagonists that each contribute a little bit in their own way.

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Should I be watching Foundation?

It’s visually appealing but the story is confusing at times and it’s like 2 separate stories that haven’t merged yet. And one is way more interesting 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 12:34 PM, henrygandorf said:

we love physical.  the other list is pretty good.

as for hijack, not sure what you could "spoil", the show was too shitty for spoilers. 

Hijack should definitely win the razzie for screenplay 

The hijackers got beat up so many times I lost count. But my favorite was when Idris sent a notice saying be ready to fight back to the entire plane. And when Idris fought back, NO ONE HELPED. 

• Haha 2