Art Briles back coaching in college

theaveragejon

Gotta say that I'm shocked he hasn't been fired yet after ESPN went scorched Earth on them yesterday.  I always felt like Grambling had a solid reputation among college football programs.  Especially for a smaller school.  I can't believe they would ruin that with someone as radioactive as Briles.

No kidding.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

DOH: Missed @LTtxfan link above.

She [the same reporter from the screenshot above] did the interview.  Decent questions.  He still seems to come across as a scumbag.  Perhaps because...   HE IS.

Full transcript (along w/ full video) here:
https://www.arklatexhomepage.com/news/top-stories/watch-interview-with-grambling-state-offensive-coordinator-art-briles/

Q: Looking back now, what would you have done differently?

A: That’s a huge question. Just make sure that everyone is on the same page about what they’re doing, when they’re doing it, how to report, and how to protect students and everybody involved. Like I said, we’re still learning, I’m still learning. I’m kinda a good soldier so to speak, you tell me what to do I’m gonna do it, that’s just what I’ve always done. So hopefully, you know, I’ve learned people need to recognize the places, policies and procedures that are there and understand the space that every individual deserves.

Still learning?  Haven't you been doing this your entire life?  

On 2/24/2022 at 2:22 PM, 927 E. 41st said:

I had the privilege of sitting next to Eddie Robinson on a flight from DFW to SHV back about 1988. He was a true gentleman and didn't mind talking with me about everything football. From micro to macro he indulged me with his wonderful insight. From that day I always pulled for Grambling, but no more. I will remain an Eddie Robinson fan for the rest of my days, but I imagine he's doing about 8000 RPM in his grave about now.

I had a similar experience on a flight from SHV to DFW.  I was sitting across the aisle from Coach Robinson and his wife.  The flight attendant was going through her pre-flight speech about the seatbelts, exits, etc.  While she was going through her talk Robinson was reading the newspaper.  You could tell that she was getting irritated that he was blatantly not paying her any attention.  After she completed the instructions she looked at him and said, "Sir, would you mind telling me anything that I just said?".  He folded up the newspaper, placed it in his lap and proceeded to recite, verbatim, her speech back to her complete with the hand motions.  It was awesome.  She just stood there with the most stupid and embarrassed look of all time.  He did not seem the least bit perturbed.

Once the flight took off a young Grambling alum came forward to introduce himself to Robinson.  Both of them were headed to Chicago.  Robinson was going for some event and the young man going to visit some friends.  Robinson was super friendly to the point that he ended up inviting the young man to come to the event with him and his wife.

My girlfriend is a physical therapist that used to work in the Ruston area.  Mr. and Mrs. Robinson were her patients for a time.  She said that you could not meet a nicer pair of people.

I am sure that he is having issues from above with this hiring decision.

• Hook 'Em 3

Jackson claiming its ok cause he runs a non-profit for victims of sexual assault and trafficking - maybe he shouldn't have asked for a bright light on that:

Jackson's foundation reported that it received $158,672 in 2019, the most recent year in which tax filings are available. According to tax documents, nearly 75% of that money was spent on the salary of the foundation's executive director -- it's only paid employee. The foundation spent another $15,000 on travel expenses. It paid $4,038 (roughly 2.5%) in grants and contributions to other organizations.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33392454/grambling-state-head-football-coach-hue-jackson-defends-hiring-offensive-coordinator-art-briles

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 11:40 AM, Hairy Biped said:

Gotta say that I'm shocked he hasn't been fired yet after ESPN went scorched Earth on them yesterday.  I always felt like Grambling had a solid reputation among college football programs.  Especially for a smaller school.  I can't believe they would ruin that with someone as radioactive as Briles.

What did I miss?

17 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Good. Now do something about Jackson's "charity" organization.  That's some bullshit.  $4,000 payout out of $158,000 donated.  That's gotta be illegal. 

Works for the Girl Scouts and those damned cookies.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Good. Now do something about Jackson's "charity" organization.  That's some bullshit.  $4,000 payout out of $158,000 donated.  That's gotta be illegal. 

And almost all of the money given to the charity was given by Jackson....to pay his salary.  That's tax fraud baby. 

Fuck briles and fuck Jackson. They both deserve all the shit they get. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

What did I miss?

The website was running a huge story on the college football page on why it was a terrible look for Grambling to chance him with his past.  Plus Stephen A. Smith was slamming him and others were asking why it had to be a HBCU that was taking a chance on him.  It was pretty in-depth.  At least online.  I think it's still on the website.

• Hook 'Em 1