Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Can’t believe I have to point this out but the big difference is that all of these private businesses will have to turn over all that contact info to the government without a warrant or subpoena. That’s different than me voluntarily giving my info to the local pizza delivery place.

Or you know if you have a problem with it, don’t eat there. My mom did the best fuck you ever back in the 80’s. We were at Joske’s or some other department store. She wrote a check and the cashier asked for her phone number (back then they would write it on the check). Mom argues a bit saying what’s the point I can make anything up and then eventually says “fine, 123456789”. We walked out without our purchases and I went to school naked for the next year.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
6 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:
Who knew death totals were so political

They aren't. But it's best to keep Hugo where he belongs.

The shooting the messenger thing is getting old. 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 3

Can’t believe I have to point this out but the big difference is that all of these private businesses will have to turn over all that contact info to the government without a warrant or subpoena. That’s different than me voluntarily giving my info to the local pizza delivery place.

Oh shit, you're right. Think of all the nefarious things the govt can do once it gets ahold of.... *checks notes* the names and contact info of who ate at Red Lobster last Tuesday. The horror!

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

$12 bbl oil says "be careful what you wish for."

Before petroleum, we were Alabama with cattle, economically.  Take away petroleum, and the myth of how much we have "diversified" our economy will be shattered rather quickly. 

That is not good news. But Texas has a lot of infrastructure that is easy to retool. And it is energy rich - especially solar and wind. Powering West Texas might be a model for growth (but for the water). I hope Texas puts on its forward thinking glasses. This is going to be a rough economic patch with COVID deflationary forces in play. The nation will need cheap energy and housing. It will need jobs. Kickstarting demand in this economy will be a bitch from hell. It will restart - quickly - if the right policies are put into place. Too bad so many local governments are owned by developers of commercial and residential properties (a relic of the housing boom and bust). An unencumbered locality could become the next big city in Texas. 

When I was a boy, my teacher taught me I was lucky to have been born in the United States and even luckier to a Texan. I believed it back then. Not so sure now. 

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

That is not good news. But Texas has a lot of infrastructure that is easy to retool. And it is energy rich - especially solar and wind. Powering West Texas might be a model for growth (but for the water). I hope Texas puts on its forward thinking glasses. This is going to be a rough economic patch with COVID deflationary forces in play. The nation will need cheap energy and housing. It will need jobs. Kickstarting demand in this economy will be a bitch from hell. It will restart - quickly - if the right policies are put into place. Too bad so many local governments are owned by developers of commercial and residential properties (a relic of the housing boom and bust). An unencumbered locality could become the next big city in Texas. 

When I was a boy, my teacher taught me I was lucky to have been born in the United States and even luckier to a Texan. I believed it back then. Not so sure now. 

This shit kills me. Do you actually think there’s better out there?  Fuck man, this country is awesome. You damn sure were lucky to be born here. And even if by some measure you say “well, I supposed I’d rather have been Swedish” or some shit like that you are talking about what, a few countries sort of in par with ours?  In a world of 8 billion?  

As far as the Texas part man I’ve lived in 12 states and visited 48 (no North Dakota or Indiana) and yeah- better to have been born in Texas than the vast majority of them. 

• Like 6

So I was sitting on my porch yesterday afternoon enjoying the quiet and the view of what was once a swimming pool when a UPS delivery guy walked up with a package. Without thinking I got up and took it from him. Social distancing is not yet 2nd nature. So then last night I have this dream that I've got the COVID. Dry cough, fever, body aches, the whole deal. I live alone with no family nearby and in this dream I'm thinking this is how it's going to end, me dying here alone and when they find me I'll have unkempt old man long hair. Gotdamn I need a haircut. 

I haven't caught up with the thread completely but started a few pages back and @ChiTownDoc was talking about, I think, individual liberties vs the good of the masses becoming a thing as this progresses. Not to change the subject but I've been hearing some chatter over the airwaves in between COVID talk about 5G and how it's what has allowed some Asian countries to better monitor their population. Probably some CR shit, huh?

3 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

This blasphemy shall not stand.....

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

14 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Lol at Washington requiring dine in restaurants to keep a listing of all patrons. We are all China now. We are all Asshole.

I look forward to the government seeing the list of diners: Mike Hunt, Richard Cranium, Barb Dwyer, Anita Man, Phil McCracken...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I'm not really planning any dining experiences in the next month, but shit I wouldn't mind being contacted and told if they later learn that some dipshit had been in there at the same time as me with the Rona. 

You'd find out a month later. What good would that do?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

You'd find out a month later. What good would that do?

Why would it take a month? Two weeks for someone to get sick and two weeks to contact other diners? 

I'd say that would be the absolute worst case scenario, and yes in that case it wouldn't do much good. 

This kind of scenario has played out before when some anti vax moron flies on a plane with the measles. It's not recreating the wheel here. 

36 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So I was sitting on my porch yesterday afternoon enjoying the quiet and the view of what was once a swimming pool when a UPS delivery guy walked up with a package. Without thinking I got up and took it from him. Social distancing is not yet 2nd nature. So then last night I have this dream that I've got the COVID. Dry cough, fever, body aches, the whole deal. I live alone with no family nearby and in this dream I'm thinking this is how it's going to end, me dying here alone and when they find me I'll have unkempt old man long hair. Gotdamn I need a haircut. 

I haven't caught up with the thread completely but started a few pages back and @ChiTownDoc was talking about, I think, individual liberties vs the good of the masses becoming a thing as this progresses. Not to change the subject but I've been hearing some chatter over the airwaves in between COVID talk about 5G and how it's what has allowed some Asian countries to better monitor their population. Probably some CR shit, huh?

How would 5G do that? The millimeter-wave portion of 5G is pretty much useless outside of certain niche scenarios. The rest of 5G is a nice incremental improvement on 4G, but nothing dramatically different. The slightly increased network capacity from 5G (outside of millimeter-wave) could indirectly help I suppose. 

• Like 1

This shit kills me. Do you actually think there’s better out there?  Fuck man, this country is awesome. You damn sure were lucky to be born here. And even if by some measure you say “well, I supposed I’d rather have been Swedish” or some shit like that you are talking about what, a few countries sort of in par with ours?  In a world of 8 billion?  
As far as the Texas part man I’ve lived in 12 states and visited 48 (no North Dakota or Indiana) and yeah- better to have been born in Texas than the vast majority of them. 

In terms of health and quality of life indicators, America is not on par with northern/western Europe, Canada, etc. We are decidedly below. Life expectancy fell for four straight years from 2015-18. The gap between us and Canada is as wide as the gap between us and Mexico.

Depending on how you look at it, America's usually somewhere in the 20-40 tier for overall quality of life. The only things we're objectively number one at are incarceration, 'beetus, and college football. I'll stick around for the last one but let's not pretend it's silly to say other places are better off.

America is still a really great place to be in the top 20-25 percent or so. Added bonus if you happen to be white. Beyond that, we're looking more and more like the former Soviet bloc or better off nations in Latin America every year. Sure, I'm glad I'm from here as opposed to most other places in the world, but right now we're absolutely the shitty house in the nice neighborhood. We need to get our shit together before we have to move to the other side of town.

Ultimately it's subjective, but blind American exceptionalism in the face of a different reality is like a 7-5 team touting its superiority. Don't be aggy.
  • Like 10
  • Fuck You 2

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

How would 5G do that? The millimeter-wave portion of 5G is pretty much useless outside of certain niche scenarios. The rest of 5G is a nice incremental improvement on 4G, but nothing dramatically different. The slightly increased network capacity from 5G (outside of millimeter-wave) could indirectly help I suppose. 

Yeah that's definitely not true, who told you that?

17 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

In terms of health and quality of life indicators, America is not on par with northern/western Europe, Canada, etc. We are decidedly below. Life expectancy fell for four straight years from 2015-18. The gap between us and Canada is as wide as the gap between us and Mexico.

Depending on how you look at it, America's usually somewhere in the 20-40 tier for overall quality of life. The only things we're objectively number one at are incarceration, 'beetus, and college football. I'll stick around for the last one but let's not pretend it's silly to say other places are better off.

America is still a really great place to be in the top 20-25 percent or so. Added bonus if you happen to be white. Beyond that, we're looking more and more like the former Soviet bloc or better off nations in Latin America every year. Sure, I'm glad I'm from here as opposed to most other places in the world, but right now we're absolutely the shitty house in the nice neighborhood. We need to get our shit together before we have to move to the other side of town.

Ultimately it's subjective, but blind American exceptionalism in the face of a different reality is like a 7-5 team touting its superiority. Don't be aggy.

Cool... but that isn't what he said.

"When I was a boy, my teacher taught me I was lucky to have been born in the United States and even luckier to a Texan. I believed it back then. Not so sure now."

For argument sake, let's say the US is the 20th best place to live. The top 20 countries represent what percentage of the world's population? What are the odds that a person born today is born into the top 20? And luck is beating the odds without skill? 

But I'm intrigued, can you show your work on how the gap between the US and Mexico is like the gap between the US and Canada?

Edited by B00M
  • Like 1

Just now, B00M said:

"When I was a boy, my teacher taught me I was lucky to have been born in the United States and even luckier to a Texan. I believed it back then. Not so sure now."

For argument sake, let's say the US is the 20th best place to live. The top 20 countries represent what percentage of the world's population? What are the odds that a person born today is born into the top 20? And luck is beating the odds without skill? 

But I'm intrigued, can you show your work on how the gap between the US and Mexico is like the gap between the US and Canada?

Mexicans have much better food than Canadistan. It's a huge gap.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TornACL said:

Why would it take a month? Two weeks for someone to get sick and two weeks to contact other diners? 

I'd say that would be the absolute worst case scenario, and yes in that case it wouldn't do much good. 

This kind of scenario has played out before when some anti vax moron flies on a plane with the measles. It's not recreating the wheel here. 

Well maybe if you have 1, or a half dozen points to look at....

But thousands of restaurants with dozens of customers each night for two weeks.  It's data so massive maybe the NSA could process it.  No way the county health board, with newly on-boarded "contact tracers" is capable.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo
25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Mexicans have much better food than Canadistan. It's a huge gap.

Chef Horton would like a word with you.  

That's not the post I quoted. The post I quoted was based on the leading question, "Do you really think there's better out there?" Thats a silly question because 1.) What data there is says yes, and 2.) That's highly subjective and heavily influenced by your individual circumstances. Either way, to ask that question as if it's absurd is dead wrong.

As for the gap in life expectancy between Canada, US, and Mexico: the UN rankings for 2019 have Canada at 82.3 years, USA at 78.9 years (3.4 year gap), and Mexico at 75.0 years (3.9 year gap). Other sources effective less recently but within the past five years estinate a similar gap. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/list_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

You could pick nits about being a couple months better than right in the middle, but you get the point. I would imagine it's abject poverty in black and rural communities in this country that doesn't exist in Canada, and really does resemble third world conditions, that explains that difference.
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

Uh, Tim Horton of Tim Horton's restaurant in Hamilton, Ontario.  Probably the best restaurant in North America.  

Anyway, back to 'Murica.  I am glad I live here, but I don't take any special pride in the fact that I was born here.  I had nothing to do with it, so it seems like a weird thing to lead with as a personality trait.  I'm also 6'1" and ambidextrous, two qualities I had nothing to do with (maybe a little bit, I quit smoking when I was 7 because I felt it was stunting my growth).  Now, I am very thankful that I was born in the United States in 1976, and not 150 years earlier.  I am very thankful I am tall and can use both hands equally to pleasure South Austin's mom, but again it's not pride.  There is a very stark difference to me between being thankful and being proud.  You can be thankful for things you had nothing to do with.  And you can be thankful for things you had everything to do with (like the will power to lose weight or learn a language).  You can be proud for things you had everything to do with (fitting into a smaller clothing size or showing off your new Italian conversation skills).  But being proud for things you had nothing to do with (the sunrise, the city of your birth, the DJIA closing figures, what language you heard at home as an infant, or the rainfall in Austin yesterday).....I understand why people do it but it has never made any sense to me. 

Pride is a sin, Thankfullness is a virtue.  This nation would do well to remember that.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away