CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

43 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

He just called it an unforeseen problem that came out of nowhere. Well, I think the last administration could see something like this coming and put protections in place. But you know...salutes with coffee so fuck it. 

This needs to be out front in any debate where corona is brought up.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Trump's got his eye on the ball.  During signing ceremony for CV funding, shares his thoughts about the positive aspects the outbreak will have on travel and resort spending. 

. . . and the base and all Republicans cheered.  "Sir,  you are doing such great things for our domestic economy!"  #burlytears

• Haha 1

Heard a partial interview on NPR this morning, and the subject seemed rather matter of fact that the only reasonable read of what this is going to do to travel and economic production will lead to a short-term recession.  Being that the global economy is already on a tight margin (and that's when it's healthy), that doesn't seem surprising.

15 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Pence finally admitting the lack of testing kits is just as unsurprising as will be Trump eventually throwing him under the bus for this. This shit’s crystal clear.  

They are preventing widespread testing to keep official numbers down. Population and deaths be damned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

So when the Trump Administration tells us that we have the focus of everyone on this. The very best people! We should have 1,000,000 test kits by the end of the week.

Uh... well... 75,000 test kits is what we managed to do.

I know 7.5% doesn't sound that great but that's barely twice the unemployment rate!  No Worries!

7.5%  of test kits > 3% death rate ....

Therefore we’re safe.

/Trumpkin 

2 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

To be fair aren't all deaths natural unless they are accidental or murder?

I'm pretty sure there is some negligent homicide going on.

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

Important Pompeo admission: we're behind the curve.

big time.

Yep.  It is great we passed a funding bill, but it should have been in place weeks (months?) ago with the ramp up well underway.  But some asshole had to brief the President and say, "We can't say for certain what will happen.  There is a chance this could become a global pandemic and kill tens or hundreds of thousands in this country, and there's a chance it dissipates with warmer weather in April." and of course the President only heard "dissipates with warmer weather in April."

48 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

The incredibly frustrating Chinamen are not the issue!

The surest thing in all of Surly is that a Big Lebowski reference will get you some rep.

The Democrats' utter silence on how badly Trump has bungled this is infuriating. They need to be pounding the fucking table about all of the personnel and procedures Obama had put in place that Trump fired and abandoned and going on every cable channel attacking the administration for ignoring this entirely until the market started to panic. These assholes have spent years now telling us they want to run on health care. Now they've got the opportunity to do so and they're quiet.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

The Democrats' utter silence on how badly Trump has bungled this is infuriating. They need to be pounding the fucking table about all of the personnel and procedures Obama had put in place that Trump fired and abandoned and going on every cable channel attacking the administration for ignoring this entirely until the market started to panic. These assholes have spent years now telling us they want to run on health care. Now they've got the opportunity to do so and they're quiet.

Dems bad at messaging. News at 11. 

• Haha 1

We're going to need a flow chart to document whose fault the response is to this according to the Moron in Chief. I've already got Obama and China. Anyone else? Can't blame Congress since they sent him funding. 

And I don't want Democrats to politicize this right now. Let Bloomberg do it. Keep everyone else above the fray until the clear nominee is there and then hammer the fuck out of Trump on this. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Dems bad at messaging. News at 11. 

The Republicans would just shout that this isn't the time to politicize the response. 

Mass shooting playbook 101.

• Like 2

Just now, wildcat09 said:

I don't think they're being quiet, per se. I just don't think the numbers or public attention are where it needs to be yet for that to work. If they bang the table now, and this thing doesn't get bad here for whatever reason, they look like quacks. But if they wait to say the same things before people start dying in every single city, they get the same desired outcome with zero risk. 

If I were the democrats, I'd be sitting around waiting to make sure you've got the kill shot. It's not going to change what happens with this virus, and it won't change the outcome and their ability to exploit it if they wait. Just my opinion. 

• Like 3

It is interesting that Trump has not been one of the people throwing blame at the CDC.  He seems to understand he needs them to get through this.

I am ok with the Dems saving criticism until later, after we have ramped up a response.  They need to be focused on helping engineer our response and getting us prepared.

• Like 2

Shit I'd be happy with them just staying out of the news cycle all together right now. The Schumer comments and anything else they say at this point will only take more air time away from the coverage of the virus. The virus and coming recession is what's going to fuck Trump. 

I know politicians are basically cold blooded reptiles that require attention instead of sunlight and heat, but they should shut the fuck up and let the spotlight stay on this administration and their response. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Who gives a fuck what they’d say?

This.  Get shitty.  Then get even shittier.  Siphon huge amounts of cash to some PAC that you can claim you don't have any responsibility.  Then let them run amok and cover Kentucky with billboards and ads with Mitch McConnell's wife's picture next to the word Coronavirus.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If I were the democrats, I'd be sitting around waiting to make sure you've got the kill shot. It's not going to change what happens with this virus, and it won't change the outcome and their ability to exploit it if they wait. Just my opinion. 

I agree.  About the only thing I'd like to see a little different are more public, positive statements on what the experts are doing and encouraging the public to follow the precautions.  Basically, provide a model of leadership as a counter-example to Trump's flailing.  Maybe they are making those statements, but just not getting coverage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

The virus and coming recession is what's going to fuck Trump. 

This.  The Bloomberg PAC ads are going to be easy. 

Just play the clip (with the date) of "we closed it down, we stopped it."  Then, show the clip of bodybags being wheeled out of homes, and newspaper headlines both as to the death count and the recession resulting from same.  "Trump didn't protect us.  He lied to us.  Again.  And people died.  People we know and love."  Then a nice 10 second clip of a gal in middle America "I lost my mother, because Donald Trump lied about protecting us."  "No more lies. No more death.  No more recession.  No more Trump."

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

Fuck him. Our crack team of surly assholes has been diligently working on this thing since January 22, and we're just a bunch of drunk, regarded, misanthropes. 

Exactly. The caronavirus vaccine will be liberally distributed during this months regularly scheduled meeting of the surly liberal cabal. Take as much as you want. See y’all there!

Well not all of you of course. Sorry bout that trolls. Maybe trump will help y’all out. 

Well when you have a low-level primate with shit for brains running the country these are the types of fuck ups  you can expect. it's so simple but yet still somehow too complicated for millions of the idiots in this country to understand. Well, I guess we'll see just how many millions of idiots there are come October. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I saw a CNN article that Larry Kudrow is considering ways to help Americans who may miss paychecks due to quarantine.  

Who wants to bet this is in the form of tax cuts for the companies that employ them? 

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Trump said today “we’ve stopped it”. Truly his “Mission Accomplished” moment. 

If this is from the vid HenryJames posted it appears "it" is actually travel from China, not coronavirus... But it's just as likely you're right due to his shitty, vague use of English.

2 minutes ago, bonnieblue said:

Interesting, short interview clip between Maddow and Warren on the economy/corona intersection. That our toolkit of future stimulus tools is so bare is........worrisome. 

no shit, I've been saying since that fuck took office and they passed that horrific tax bill that keeping interest rates and corporate taxes artificially low during a bull economy means we won't have much in the way of combating a major recession or depression. The marauders are storming the gates and we've given all our gun powder to the top 1% of the population to store for themselves. 

• Like 1

I envision an ad with this clip repeated over and over interspersed with clips of overrun hospitals and health care workers in containment gear and angry and weeping families of victims and pictures of multiple dead grannies and pappies and news clips stating the growing numbers of patients and the death toll.

Get your people on it Bloomberg and make a big ad buy starting in the summer to run through Election Day.

33 minutes ago, Tuco said:

I saw a CNN article that Larry Kudrow is considering ways to help Americans who may miss paychecks due to quarantine.  

Who wants to bet this is in the form of tax cuts for the companies that employ them? 

Per Wapo:

The travel and tourism industries are facing their worst crisis since the 2001 terrorist attacks, prompting White House officials to consider deferring taxes for the cruise, travel and airline industries to stem the economic fallout of the coronavirus, according to two people briefed on the discussions.

• immamac changed the title to CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk