CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Can you wear your own mask or do you have to use what they give you? 

Bedside nurses are allowed to bring in cloth masks to wear over surgical masks if they want, but they're forbidden from wearing their own self-sourced PPE because it will be unfair to those who are unable to procure supplies for themselves.  

I'm not aware of restrictions on advanced providers, but I know I wouldn't wear my own N95 in front of a bedside nurse taking care of a COVID patient. That's a fucking slap to their face.

2 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Sadly, I doubt it. 

He could fire Jesus and half the country, would crow about how it's about time someone showed that long-haired hippie he can't just cruise through life on his father's name.

Given that he was brown and poor and protested against faith based capitalism, you're probably more than right. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Okay, so I screwed up a decimal point somewhere in my math and fouled up my entire point.  So I will use a different analogy and instead of playing Rene Descartes I will instead play David Attenborough to make my point.

Every year millions and millions of wildebeests migrate across Africa following the rains in search of fresh grass to graze on.  Each year thousands and thousands of these wildebeests meet their end along this migration via lions, crocodiles, and other predators.  The majority of the eaten are old or sick wildebeest.  The wildebeest that finish the migration are rewarded with fresh grass to eat and the herd as a whole is strengthened.  Now the wildebeest could just stay where they are at at the start and avoid all the lions and crocodiles that are waiting ahead of them.  However they know that there is no grass to eat where they are at and they will all eventually starve (and the old and the sick will be the first to starve).

We are the wildebeest.  Coronavirus is the lions and crocodiles and the grass is the economy.  Fresh grass is an open, thriving economy.  Dead grass is the economy in its current state.   We can stay in the dead grass and keep the old and sick from being eaten by the crocodiles and lions.  However the entire herd is eventually going to metaphorically starve by doing so (starving being a metaphor for poverty).  And the old and the sick will be among the first to fall down this mineshaft of poverty our present actions are putting us on a course for.  We are trying to save the old and the sick by starving the entire herd which will result in the old and the sick being among the first to die anyway.  This completely defies logic.

Huh, so The Lion King, circle of life? You would have made your point in fewer words if you'd gone with 300 and just written, "This is Sparta!"

Scar: "Mufasa's death was a terrible tragedy; but to lose Simba, who had barely begun to live... For me it is a deep personal loss. So it is with a heavy heart that I assume the throne. Yet, out of the ashes of this tragedy, we shall rise to greet the dawning of a new era... in which lion and hyena come together, in a great and glorious future! "

I am a fan of David Attenborough and the BBC nature programs; but I disagree with your analogy.

9 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Right now, we have the perfect libertarian President. 

Seriously this is true. This is the fulfillment of Ayn Rand’s vision of the “ideal man.” It’s like when she wrote about William Hickman, that he had  "no regard whatsoever for all that society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. He has the true, innate psychology of a Superman. He can never realize and feel 'other people.'"

• Like 4

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Okay, so I screwed up a decimal point somewhere in my math and fouled up my entire point.  So I will use a different analogy and instead of playing Rene Descartes I will instead play David Attenborough to make my point.

Every year millions and millions of wildebeests migrate across Africa following the rains in search of fresh grass to graze on.  Each year thousands and thousands of these wildebeests meet their end along this migration via lions, crocodiles, and other predators.  The majority of the eaten are old or sick wildebeest.  The wildebeest that finish the migration are rewarded with fresh grass to eat and the herd as a whole is strengthened.  Now the wildebeest could just stay where they are at at the start and avoid all the lions and crocodiles that are waiting ahead of them.  However they know that there is no grass to eat where they are at and they will all eventually starve (and the old and the sick will be the first to starve).

We are the wildebeest.  Coronavirus is the lions and crocodiles and the grass is the economy.  Fresh grass is an open, thriving economy.  Dead grass is the economy in its current state.   We can stay in the dead grass and keep the old and sick from being eaten by the crocodiles and lions.  However the entire herd is eventually going to metaphorically starve by doing so (starving being a metaphor for poverty).  And the old and the sick will be among the first to fall down this mineshaft of poverty our present actions are putting us on a course for.  We are trying to save the old and the sick by starving the entire herd which will result in the old and the sick being among the first to die anyway.  This completely defies logic.

So the new slogan is "all life is sacred, unless it fucks with my 401k."  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DixonHur said:

He could fire Jesus

Jesus would never get hired by this administration.  If he tried to come to America today, he'd land in a detention center and sleep under an aluminum foil blanket with all the other dirty browns.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Her response is far too nice.  She should have laid into him.  Dems overall have also been far too nice.

Biden's best move on the campaign trail was calling someone full of shit when they were.  Direct individual attacks work for the GOP even when they are wrong. They will work for Dems too. 

The GOP quite literally wants voters to drown in their own blood and Dems are still like “oopsie looks like we’ve got a teensy misunderstanding, let me clarify!” It’s fucking infuriating.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Her response is far too nice.  She should have laid into him.  Dems overall have also been far too nice.

Biden's best move on the campaign trail was calling someone full of shit when they were.  Direct individual attacks work for the GOP even when they are wrong. They will work for Dems too. 

I think thats her M.O., kill them with kindness.  There was an article about her recently that talked about it.  I thought it was fine, it showed Ted is a fucking idiot and put the ball in his court to either deny it and look worse, or apologize, and make her look better.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

If we as a society really fully bought in to your nazi "useless eater" rhetoric and decided we should kill the weak so that the rest of us could thrive, you'd be among the first ones to die. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I'll never understand interest in Ayn Rand.  She was an idiot.   Her writing was shit and her ideas were worse. 

This right here. It's unbelievable how much her followers have fucked this county up. I tried to get through Atlas Shrugged to see what all the hoopla was about, many years ago. It was terrible and I couldn't finish it. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Seriously this is true. This is the fulfillment of Ayn Rand’s vision of the “ideal man.” It’s like when she wrote about William Hickman, that he had  "no regard whatsoever for all that society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. He has the true, innate psychology of a Superman. He can never realize and feel 'other people.'"

Bozo knows but for those who don't, William Hickman kidnapped, held for ransom, murdered, and dismembered a 12 year old girl. Ayn Rand idolized him for it. That's the modern GOP in a nutshell. 

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

I'll never understand interest in Ayn Rand.  She was an idiot.   Her writing was shit and her ideas were worse. 

She’s the Joel Osteen of political philosophy. People want to be selfish and greedy.  So when someone comes along and preaches the virtue of sin, people latch onto it and convince themselves it’s some grand insight or genius.  In reality, it’s just a shitty person making money off telling other aspiringly shitty people that shittiness is a virtue.  

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I think thats her M.O., kill them with kindness.  There was an article about her recently that talked about it.  I thought it was fine, it showed Ted is a fucking idiot and put the ball in his court to either deny it and look worse, or apologize, and make her look better.  

He won't deny it or apologize. He will ignore it and it will go away. 

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

He won't deny it or apologize. He will ignore it and it will go away. 

Well thats the third option, making him shut up and go away while still looking like a fucking idiot.  Maybe not as gratifying as the first two, but still good.  Short of confronting him directly in the halls of congress, its not like she can really do much else.  

3 minutes ago, YChang said:

We need a neck brace for how quickly this president vacillate between "I'm in total control," to "oh no, it's the state's call on what to do."

Pretty simple flow chart.  Can it be held against him -> states.  Can he claim credit -> president.  

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, YChang said:

We need a neck brace for how quickly this president vacillate between "I'm in total control," to "oh no, it's the state's call on what to do."

It's simple.  He takes credit for anything positive and blames the States for anything negative.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

translation - i didn’t close anything but i can open everything. and if the democrat governors defy me, then the economy is on them. and if the republican governors cause more people to get sick and die, then that’s also on them. 

but if things start going better, what has two thumbs and deserves all the credit?  this guy. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

For those who are fans of Dr. Fauci

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dr+fauci&crid=1907M91UNKNI&sprefix=dr+fa%2Caps%2C206&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

It's a damn shame he doesn't get a cut of the profits because he deserves ever penny.

I'm no @TwiceHorn, but how can Amazon even offer to host these up when they obviously use someone else's protected images and the likeness of Dr. Fauci?  Is the gravy train that biscuit filled?

We need diagnostic testing and antibody testing + contact tracing if we ever want to get out of lockdown before a vaccine. So Trump, if you want to get this done - you know, instead of tweet about it, then fucking focus the power of the federal government on achieving it. Fucking coward. 

• Like 1

EMAW sees himself as a wildebeest who makes it to the fertile pastures.  The old, the weak, and the sick who don't make it?  Well, that's just the circle of life. 

Now, the moment he realizes he has become old, weak, or sick, he'll bleat about needing government support.  That's the reality of life.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Meh, fuck the Constitution. It's just an old piece of paper... except that thing about guns. 

I think this is a case where if a President opted to shut down all domestic & international air travel, hold back highway funds from states, not allow access to emergency stock piles to states that didn't follow national guidelines etc that a President could "win" this point but it would be a Pyrrhic victory at best.

Trump has allowed states to have autonomy on shutting down etc throughout this process, not sure why when they reopen fucking matters to him.

Having a crazy narcissist for our country's leader is exhausting.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

EMAW sees himself as a wildebeest who makes it to the fertile pastures.  The old, the weak, and the sick who don't make it?  Well, that's just the circle of life. 

Now, the moment he realizes he has become old, weak, or sick, he'll bleat about needing government support.  That's the reality of life.

Where do unborn babies fit within his analogy? 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear