CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Your link takes me here -

9759be294f6e6e98724ec69a9b0ab501.jpg

That link now goes to the updated AP story. I won’t discern @HRSchenker ‘s motives, but the AP really has bungled the timeline.

The photo that AP was fact checking was from the 4/20 PGH rally, credited to the correct person. I don’t know whether or not that sign was photoshopped since, but *no one* online was confusing the PGH sign v. yesterday’s Chicago taunt.

Not sure how AP confused the two rallies, and their updated language isn’t particularly clarifying.

15 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Reality seemed horrific, but now it seems that it was a fake reality. What makes a person fake such a horrific reality? So many mindfucks in this simulation.

The destruction of truth and trust continues. Putin grins.

Photo of Illinois protester is real. A photo of a Pittsburgh protester was altered to display the same phrase as the one on the Illinois protester's actual sign. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The tweet you replied to specifically said that woman was a protester in Illinois. The headline of the AP article you linked reads, "Pittsburgh protester not waiving sign with Nazi slogan." Pittsburgh is in Pennsylvania, not Illinois. Are you suggesting the headline was changed?

I guess this is my fault for not saving the correction while it was live? Again, the article was talking about the photo that was trending all over twitter. There was only one using the german "work sets you free" nonsense. Is there a second photo of someone using this poster at an entirely different rally? I have yet to see it anywhere. AP hasn't published it. I don't see it on Twitter. I don't see it here.

• Like 1

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Photo of Illinois protester is real. A photo of a Pittsburgh protester was altered to display the same phrase as the one on the Illinois protester's actual sign. 

Thanks for the clarification, but I was more marveling at how our consensus on truth has been undermined. It's hard to know what to trust, which leads us to trust dubious sources or none at all. This is OT though so I'll wrap up my musings.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I guess this is my fault for not saving the correction while it was live? Again, the article was talking about the photo that was trending all over twitter. There was only one using the german "work sets you free" nonsense. Is there a second photo of someone using this poster at an entirely different rally? I have yet to see it anywhere. AP hasn't published it. I don't see it on Twitter. I don't see it here.

i don't know why you're having trouble distinguishing a doctored photo from pittsburgh that photochopped a nazi slogan on this photo:

EWEIgsoXYAEM1oo?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(and here's the fake:

EXBY9YUXkAM5B9K?format=jpg&name=small

)

with an unaltered photo from michigan:

Edited by elfenix

1 hour ago, Ghost of LL said:

Let's all throw stones at Oklahoma, where the mayor of Stillwater had to rescind the order requiring masks in public because people were going into stores with guns and threatening employees who asked them to wear a mask per local law.

doing a responsible gun owner thing

16 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

So why can't the Chinese government step in and go "hey guys, I know some of us are into eating bats and other animals the rest of the world finds weird  and grotesque. Fuck them if they can't tolerate our culture. But... We also have to recognize how we're handling these animals is affecting everyone else's view of our country, as well as all of our lives. So, I Winnie Poo Ping hereby announce a ban on all wet markets and live animal for consumption sales effective immediately. We will then get with (whatever China's ag and transportation department is) to figure out current distribution and future sales with the assistance from (whatever China's HHS is) to supervise in the creation of systems and protocols. These changes will be difficult at first but I assure you we will be better off as a country and world." 

I'm not asking for a transformation to Judeo Christian values or anything, and nothing that doesn't benefit the Chinese people, as well as ourselves. 

Why can't Texans just agree to put beans in their chili? Hello! We can't get China to stop driving the poaching industry because they think powdered elephant and rhinoceros horns are aphrodisiacs, either. Let's worry about what we can control. 

Shall we all agree to vote for Xi Jinping's opponent in the next election? Oh right, we can't, even if there was one, which there won't be because he's President for life. That's something Trump thought was pretty cool and suggested maybe we should try that here. Just joking, right? Nudge nudge, wink wink. So let's worry about what we can control and vote for Biden in the next election because Trump is a threat to national security and public health.

I don't want to rip off Bill Maher, who made some good points in his New Rules segment a couple weeks ago, so I'll just post that here. Genetic mutation happens everywhere. Are we doing as much as we can here at home to make sure the next new contagion doesn't make the leap from animals to humans?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are we doing as much as we can here at home to make sure the next new contagion doesn't make the leap from animals to humans?

Not as long as Aggies continue to walk free, no. Between the sheeps and the shelties,  they make a wet market feel wholesome.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Not as long as Aggies continue to walk free, no. Between the sheeps and the shelties,  they make a wet market feel wholesome.

I have no dog in this fight but that was pretty good. 

Edit: I thought it was better before the edit. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

37 minutes ago, elfenix said:

here's a cap of the original AP blurb, saying pittsburgh (and of course it's misspelled, gg AP), not lansing. 

Here's the AP quote 

In a separate incident in Illinois, some protesters were, in fact, holding up signs with Nazi slogans.

At a “Reopen Illinois” protest on Friday in Illinois, Nazi slogans were present. At least two signs bearing Nazi slogans were displayed. One sign that was widely shared stated “Arbeit macht frei, J.B.” Another said “Heil, Pritzker” and featured a swastika.

Edited by NWBuck

37 minutes ago, elfenix said:

here's a cap of the original AP blurb, saying pittsburgh (and of course it's misspelled, gg AP), not lansing. 

So the headline was changed. They added "Pittsburgh" before "protester." But the article still began by saying the claim was about a Pittsburg [sic] protester. 

It's weird. The photo of the Illinois protester was taken by an RN on the scene and included a quote from the woman. That didn't strike me as implausible. I wouldn't have even heard about the photoshopped Pittsburgh protester if not for the confusion between the two. 

Yale/WaPost has updated the excess deaths figure through April 11.

The United States recorded an estimated 37,100 excess deaths as the novel coronavirus spread across the country in March and the first two weeks of April, nearly 13,500 more than are now attributed to covid-19 for that same period, according to an analysis of federal data conducted for The Washington Post by a research team led by the Yale School of Public Health.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/05/02/excess-deaths-during-covid-19/

april 11 was when distancing measures were pretty well followed.  i wonder how many traffic deaths were avoided?

Edited by elfenix

27 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Btw has @triplehorn checked back in?  Last I recall he was telling us all about the limitations of clinical trial orthodoxy and how placebo controlled research was fake news. 

I asked that yesterday, but this thread moves really fast sometimes. I didn't see anyone answer. I hope he is okay. Didn't he mention that his parents are elderly? I hope they are also okay. That would be a rough time.

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Let's all throw stones at Oklahoma, where the mayor of Stillwater had to rescind the order requiring masks in public because people were going into stores with guns and threatening employees who asked them to wear a mask per local law.

What a pussy. He should be rounding up the people doing that and throwing them in jail.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Client friend's business is next door to one of the Mi Cocina's here in Dallas.  He said it is crazy over there.  2 plus hour wait all afternoon, people lined up for their Corona-ritas.

I'm sure some kid making $1.75 an hour is really taking the time to sanitize those tables/booths completely in between customers. 

May 15-31 gonna be a bloodbath. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What a pussy. He should be rounding up the people doing that and throwing them in jail.

For real. Probably not the same guy but I think Stillwater some years ago elected an 18 year old as mayor so the townies are prone to vote stupidly.

24 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I asked that yesterday, but this thread moves really fast sometimes. I didn't see anyone answer. I hope he is okay. Didn't he mention that his parents are elderly? I hope they are also okay. That would be a rough time.

Apparently he was on Thursday.

4 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

This is all you had to say and I would mostly agreed with you. I still think they can exist but with hefty regulations in place (something I'm not sure the government nor the people want to do. Thus, for banning them.) Even the stupid exotic shit that most of the populous doesn't consume. Other wet markets exist around the world but haven't (yet) caused anything like this. Why is China exempt and why should they get to continue to participate in a global economy that necessitates the same type of governance everyone else abides by?

I must've dipped into my premium stash just now by accident. You don't think that's the primary issue? What started this whole shebang? What action did I specifically partake in that I'm not claiming responsibility for?

And I'm sure China's response was better than ours for the same reasons you and everyone else has outlined. There's no denying it. Maybe we're having a chicken- or- the- egg kinda debate but from my eyes, that shouldn't be the case. Both can and are true and this is what I was referring to by letting Republicans own the China narrative. 

No debate from me except how mischaracterize you've made me out to be. I don't want to shift any blame, just want the whole problem to be examined*. It's troublesome to me that the majority of people who are saying the same things I am are red asses and white nationalist. Fuck trump and the Chinese government. Both need to face the music for this. 

*And again, the issue with China isn't something to be dealt with right now. Our response and everything else you're harping on is the top priorities. We should, however, also keep in the back of our minds how this virus (and others this millennium) originated and take actions to prevent another one from happening. 

There is a tendency on the board to believe or conclude that anyone seeking to levy blame on China also seeks to mitigate fault on the part the Trump administration.

While that's certainly Trump's goal, and a certain segment of society is inclined to believe that China's fault absolves Trump, as we all know, both can bear fault or blame in the chain of causation here.

It's not entirely a jump to a conclusion, but that's kind of why you two are talking past one another.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 7

There is a tendency on the board to believe or conclude that anyone seeking to levy blame on China also seeks to mitigate fault on the part the Trump administration.
While that's certainly Trump's goal, and a certain segment of society is inclined to believe that China's fault absolves Trump, as we all know, both can bear fault or blame in the chain of causation here.
It's not entirely a jump to a conclusion, but that's kind of why you two are talking past one another.

Where is the evidence that people on here are behaving in a binary fashion on the issue? How much does it take to quantify a tendency?

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Does anyone else think that the mayor should have held his ground since everyone in Oklahoma knows the meth heads that hold up the Circle K and the Quik-Trip usually don't wear masks so at least the police could tell who was law abiding and open carrying and who was getting some cash for the road?

People are fucking idiots. One day after a measured reopening and people up here in Dallas are back to their normal asshole selfish selves.

We are most definitely going to see a spike. I just hope none of these fuckers infects anyone I care about.

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

People are fucking idiots. One day after a measured reopening and people up here in Dallas are back to their normal asshole selfish selves.

We are most definitely going to see a spike. I just hope none of these fuckers infects anyone I care about.

At best China covered up the initial outbreak and at worst intentionally leaked the contagion, perhaps as a gauge on how it's enemies react to a biological threat. 

Either way  America has shown to be easily damaged and unable to get a concerted unified response from it's government or citizens even under deadly circumstances. 

Guest Lobo

Yes, it's a publicity stunt when a doctor heading up the entire nation's infectious disease efforts testifies before the body that funds his research.  

I would give up antibodies to be a fly in the wall at a Trump pitch meeting back in the day.  How the fuck did people keep falling for this dipshit's diatribe over and over again for decades?

47 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Where is the evidence that people on here are behaving in a binary fashion on the issue? How much does it take to quantify a tendency?

There are a number of posts, for example, deriding the DT thread for talking about China and China conspiracy theories (lab developed or lab escaped).  The implication being that all those nasty trumpsters (some are, some aren't) are absolving the malignant shitfunnel of blame.

7 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I feel like a broken record but that was not included on the article at the time it was published. The linked story has changed multiple times.

But it always referenced a protester in Pittsburgh as far as we can tell. The tweet to which you replied always referenced a protester in Illinois.

20 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I feel like a broken record but that was not included on the article at the time it was published. The linked story has changed multiple times.

Can't you just admit you didn't see PITTSBURGH and just ran with fake news? It was a small error, you'll survive.

Can't you just admit you didn't see PITTSBURGH and just ran with fake news? It was a small error, you'll survive.

No he made a fair point at the time. In the twitter thread that exact link was posted. I posted up thread that I thought it was curious in light of no photos and a statement by the OP nurse in Chicago who said he took the picture in his phone.

This is the kind of shit that destroys institutions.

AP needs to post a huge retraction but they won’t.

28 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You're going to have to provide me with some convincing evidence to prove that is anything more than a bullshit conspiracy theory. Don't fall for the trap. Our economies are too intertwined to wage biological warfare on each other and global society is too interconnected to target one people with a pathogen like the coronavirus without targeting all of them around the globe. That wouldn't make sense. 

I'm not saying that happened just that it's a worst case scenario possibility. It's why I gave the range of best case to worst case. 

But either way no matter their intent we've shown the world the way to attack and get us to defeat ourselves.  

There are a number of posts, for example, deriding the DT thread for talking about China and China conspiracy theories (lab developed or lab escaped).  The implication being that all those nasty trumpsters (some are, some aren't) are absolving the malignant shitfunnel of blame.

Well, I mean, that...and the fact that “deflect from Trump, always come back to blaming China” is LITERALLY a known GOP talking point. Like, the memo got released and everything, telling the loyalists to the regime to do exactly that. So, we’re not even connecting dots...it’s one dot. A dot that says “no matter what, blame China.” When you’re singing the exact song put out on sheet music and distributed by the regime for the stated purpose of propaganda, nobody with any intelligence is going to believe you when you say “but I just liked the melody, it was catchy.”
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Who's more in denial about the coronavirus right now? Today. China or Trump? China lied about the severity of the threat early on in order not to look bad. We expect them to do that. Trump did the same thing! We don't expect an American President to do that. The biggest problem is he's still fucking lying about it, feeding the American people with false, misleading, and contradictory information. We're not really in a position right now to criticize China over state-run propaganda. We have a great big fucking log in our own eye. Let's remove that first and then worry about the speck in our neighbor's eye.

But we're not going to do shit about the way China does things. There's too much money to be made off of them and we're too dependent on them. If we want to get serious about China then we need to talk about some seriously drastic measures, ones that would require some real sacrifice on our part. People who are hollering, "China must pay!" are just a distraction. You want to make them pay? Show me your plan. 

When Ivanka relinquishes her Chinese trademarks and stops having her shitty products manufactured in Chinese sweatshops then I'll believe we give a rat's ass about making China pay. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

As 26 million Americans lose their jobs, the billionaire class gains 308 billion in net worth:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/heads-we-win-tails-you-lose-how-americas-rich-have-turned-pandemic-into-profit

There's gonna be a revolution
Well you know
We all wanna change the world

Same as it ever was

25 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I'm not saying that happened just that it's a worst case scenario possibility. It's why I gave the range of best case to worst case. 

But either way no matter their intent we've shown the world the way to attack and get us to defeat ourselves.  

I'd say the worst case scenario is that it was created by the Trump administration and foisted (foistered?) on the world as a false flag operation in order to frame China. 

How about that? 

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think it's mostly there's very little we can do as American voters punitive-wise (Super Double Trade War!) towards China, while there's a lot more we can do cooperation-wise, that we were previously engaged in, that would translate more effectively regarding future epi/pandemics- numerous of which will not even originate there. It's a wildly ineffective use of airspace. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It actually means their ideas are incredibly shitty if they need guns to make a political point. 

Touché 

Its all good though. The EMAawesome idiot is only posting on here because he’s being paid to advocate for political chaos in support of trump. They think it will work. But they are wrong.