CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Remember the follow the Sweden model people 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/long-a-holdout-from-covid-19-restrictions-sweden-ends-its-pandemic-experiment-11607261658

Sweden’s Covid-19 experiment is over.

After a late autumn surge in infections led to rising hospitalizations and deaths, the government has abandoned its attempt—unique among Western nations—to combat the pandemic through voluntary measures.

Like other Europeans, Swedes are now heading into the winter facing restrictions ranging from a ban on large gatherings to curbs on alcohol sales and school closures—all aimed at preventing the country’s health system from being swamped by patients and capping what is already among the highest per capita death tolls in the world.

The clampdown, which started last month, put an end to a hands-off approach that had made the Scandinavian nation a prime example in the often heated global debate between opponents and champions of pandemic lockdowns.

Admirers of the Swedish way as far as the U.S. hailed its benefit to the economy and its respect for fundamental freedoms. Critics called it a gamble with human lives, especially those of the most vulnerable. With its shift in strategy, the government is now siding with those advocating at least some mandatory restrictions.

When the pathogen swept across Europe in March, Sweden broke with much of the continent and opted not to impose mask-wearing and left known avenues of viral transmission such as bars and nightclubs open, leaving it to citizens to take their own precautions.

As late as last month, Swedes enjoyed mass sporting and cultural events and health-care officials insisted that the voluntary measures were enough to spare the country the resurgence in infections that was sweeping Europe.

Weeks later, with total Covid-19-related deaths reaching almost 700 per million inhabitants, infections growing exponentially and hospital wards filling up, the government made a U-turn.

In an emotional televised address on Nov. 22, Prime Minister Stefan Löfven pleaded with Swedes to cancel all nonessential meetings and announced a ban on gatherings of more than eight people, which triggered the closure of cinemas and other entertainment venues. Starting Monday, high schools will be closed.

“Authorities chose a strategy totally different to the rest of Europe, and because of it the country has suffered a lot in the first wave,” said Piotr Nowak, a physician working with Covid-19 patients at the Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm. “We have no idea how they failed to predict the second wave.”

Last week Sweden’s total coronavirus death count crossed 7,000. Neighboring Denmark, Finland and Norway, all similar-sized countries, have recorded since the start of the pandemic 878, 415 and 354 deaths respectively. For the first time since World War II, Sweden’s neighbors have closed their borders with the country.

“We don’t like to say that Sweden has been the black sheep, but it has been the different sheep,” said Vivikka Richt, spokeswoman of the Finnish health ministry

Dr. Nowak said medical personnel had never shared the optimism of the country’s public-health agency about so-called herd immunity—population-wide resistance to a pathogen acquired through gradual exposure—and had repeatedly warned that the virus couldn’t be controlled with voluntary measures alone.

One reason Sweden stuck to its approach for so long despite the warning signs is the high degree of independence and authority enjoyed by the health agency and other similar state bodies under Swedish law.

The public face of the country’s pandemic strategy was Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s chief epidemiologist.

Dr. Tegnell declined to be interviewed this week, but in earlier conversations with The Wall Street Journal and other media he said lockdowns were unsustainable and unnecessary. His agency has continued to discourage mask-wearing just as the European Center for Disease Prevention and Control, a European Union agency whose headquarters are located near Dr. Tegnell’s office in Stockholm, recommends wearing the

In recent months, Dr. Tegnell predicted that Swedes would gradually build immunity to the virus through controlled exposure, that vaccines would take longer than expected to develop, and that death rates across the West would converge.

Instead, the West’s first coronavirus vaccine was authorized in Britain last week, Sweden’s death rate remains an outlier among its neighbors, and Dr. Tegnell acknowledged in late November that the new surge in infections showed there was “no sign” of herd immunity in the country.

Meanwhile, Sweden’s laissez-faire pandemic strategy has failed to deliver the economic benefits its proponents had predicted. In the first half of the year, Sweden’s gross domestic product fell by 8.5% and unemployment is projected to rise to nearly 10% in the beginning of 2021, according to the central bank and several economic institutes.

Businesses such as restaurants, hotels and retail outfits are facing a wave of closures; unlike in the rest of Europe, where governments coupled restrictions with generous stimulus, Swedish authorities have offered comparatively less support to businesses since they didn’t impose closures.

“This is worse than a lockdown and it has been a catastrophic year for everyone in the business: they haven’t closed us so they don’t give us any substantial support, yet they say to people ‘don’t go to restaurants’,” said Jonas Hamlund, who was forced to close one of his two restaurants in the coastal city of Sundsvall, laying off 30 people.

Fear of the virus and the government’s advice to avoid social interactions have weighed on domestic demand, damaging business and investor confidence, said Lars Calmfors, an economist and member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.

“Countries that had mandatory restrictions have done better than us,” he added.

In Stockholm, Anna Lallerstedt runs a chain of three popular restaurants that was started by her parents in the 1980s. Last month she closed two of them, shedding nearly 100 jobs. She says she fears that her last restaurant, now employing just over 10 people, might also be at risk with the current surge expected to peak around the Christmas season, which traditionally brings substantial revenues.

“Maybe we should have had masks earlier,” Ms. Lallerstedt said.

Mr. Löfven’s intervention amounted to a demotion for Dr. Tegnell, who has de facto ceded control of the government’s pandemic effort. But some scientists said the failed experiment had shaken confidence in authorities and experts in a country with a long tradition of respecting both

An Ipsos poll found in November that 82% of responses are worried about the pandemic burden on hospitals, while 44% said authorities didn’t take sufficient measures, up from 31% in October. Dr. Tegnell remains popular, however, with a majority still supporting him.

“The spread of the disease is increasing in Stockholm and we have a very, very serious situation right now,” said Björn Eriksson, Health and Hospitals Director for the Stockholm region, the country’s most populous area.

Mr. Eriksson said that the capital’s health-care professions were struggling with the patient load and that the pandemic was putting a strain on the system that could only be eased by more restrictive measures.

“We like to think of ourselves as being very rational and pragmatic,” Mr. Calmfors, the economist, said. Yet for months, he added, authorities persisted in their approach despite mounting evidence that it was failing. “I can’t recognize my country anymore.”

• Hook 'Em 1

How did I miss this?

Wow, that was ummmm, almost ten months ago.....

As an extra, I noticed Messonnier's twitter account was quiet from about March until just this month. Makes you wonder, what she was going through. Prior to that, she was a regular tweeter with lots of CDC health based info. Anyway, found this tweet from way back in February of this year with some flu data from the main flu months. Crazy to see that and look where we are now with COVID.

22 hours ago, workswithseed said:

"The FDA also reviews manufacturing data from Pfizer on how they made the drug. But not only can that data be reviewed in a few hours, it should have been done months ago when it was available. While the FDA was waiting for Pfizer’s long-term vaccine results to come in, the agency should have anticipated this step and done it early."

what the fuck? Why wouldn't they have not just done it earlier? What has the FDA been doing this whole time?

Just a guess, but I think they are reviewing the manufacturing data for the vaccine being mass produced for the public, not the vaccine that was produced for the trials. Pfizer has identified issues with raw material quality that caused them to reduce their initial delivery numbers. This is pretty standard quality control IMO. 

My wife saw the news on her phone at the dinner table and announced it to the family.  I immediately started cackling.  She and our kids all looked at me like "jeez Dad, that's a little morbid" and then they all started laughing their asses off, too.

I have no moral compass left.  Fuck 'em.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I'm a little confused, is she only being called Anti-Vaccine because her skepticism towards the covid vaccines and not wanting it to be mandatory? Is there some other history where she has promoted more of the crazy Anti-Vaccine theories and shit?  Google is only blowing up with versions of this same article when I search.

4 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

I'm a little confused, is she only being called Anti-Vaccine because her skepticism towards the covid vaccines and not wanting it to be mandatory? Is there some other history where she has promoted more of the crazy Anti-Vaccine theories and shit?  Google is only blowing up with versions of this same article when I search.

Let me google that for you

Hypnotic article here ----> https://aapsonline.org/oratory-or-hypnotic-induction/

Article about her group ----> https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/aaps-make-health-care-great-again/607015/

One of the AAPS articles that was allegedly suppressed states, “Measles is a vexing problem, and more complete, forced vaccination will likely not solve it.”

Though AAPS often takes positions that are associated with conservative groups, it sometimes goes even further, pushing fringe views that most mainstream conservatives do not endorse, such as the belief that mandatory vaccination is “equivalent to human experimentation” and that Medicare is “evil.” Over the years, the group seems to have coalesced around an ethos of radical self-determination and a belief that mainstream science isn’t always trustworthy. It’s the most curious of medical organizations: a doctors’ interest group that seems more invested in the interests of doctors, rather than public health.

In 2015, after measles broke out at Disneyland, AAPS put out a press release questioning the safety of vaccines. The group has suggested that women who have abortions are at a higher risk of breast cancer, though mainstream scientists say this is false. In 2008, an article on AAPS’s website suggested that President Barack Obama was covertly hypnotizing people with his speeches, and that this might explain why Jews voted for him. AAPS’s journal, the Journal of American Physicians and Surgeons, has published articles raising doubts that HIV causes AIDS and questioning the wisdom of urging people to quit smoking, according to the Louisville Courier Journal.

• Hook 'Em 3

They've been all over the HCQ stuff too.  Triple's been posting their twats here and there. I knew that they promoted some quacky shit in some of of their outlets, but didn't realize the one about Obama hypnotizing the Tribe.  That's a new one. 

Edited by Anastasis

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

They've been all over the HCQ stuff too.  Triple's been posting their twats here and there. I knew that they promoted some quacky shit in some of of their outlets, but didn't realize the one about Obama hypnotizing the Tribe.  That's a new one. 

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

As we all know, it's very important that you present both sides.

God....we are such a stupid country, full of stupid people, selling stupidity wrapped in smart packaging.  We deserved every bit of this plague, and more.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Obama hypnotized the Jews? Well I guess you learn something new every day. 

How come Obama is the only one who can do that? Maybe Pence should try hypnotizing the Jews. 

The article actually said something about the hypnotic power of an open circle, specifically the "O" in Obama's logo.  I went to the next paragraph fully expecting it to discuss the hypnotic power of bagels.

The stupidity has crossed the Rubicon.

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:
Ok, maybe we don't want Urban as our new HC. This is one of several tweets liked by s Shelly Meyer. Others were about HQC and Zinc. 

Yeah... it's surprising, given her background in nursing, but she's gone especially conservative koo-koo for coconuts with all the pandemic stuff. She was a big fan of the guy who just got hired in Florida.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Obama hypnotized the Jews? Well I guess you learn something new every day. 

How come Obama is the only one who can do that? Maybe Pence should try hypnotizing the Jews. 

So Jews were hypnotized by a Black Muslim who convinced them not to take a drug that could save them from the ChinaVirus as prescribed by a warm-weather retirement community physician named Dr. ORIENT?  Did the simulation just fucking run out of names or ideas at this point?  

I'm sorry to be so skeptical this close to Christmas.  But folks, forget your organized religions.  They're not real.  We are living in a computer simulation.  

Senate hearing tomorrow: 

Early Outpatient Treatment: An Essential Part of a COVID-19 Solution, Part II

I expect Ivermectin will be prominently discussed.  Pierre Kory, M.D. was one of three docs who made a call to action using Ivermectin last week outside of UMMC in Houston.  Jean-Jacques Rajter, M.D. has been using ivermectin at his hospital in Broward FL since the summer with success, study publication pending.

Ivermectin is a covid killer and its clear effectiveness has been clinically observed since last spring/summer.  This is a good interview with the lead investigator of ivermectin use in Argentina.  Additionally, they conducted an ivermectin prophylaxis study with hospital health care workers for a three month duration.  In the group of HCW's treated with once monthly ivermectin, they had ZERO cases of covid out of 788 pre-treated health care subjects.  The non-treated control group had 58% infection after 3 months.  On the face of it, that's better than vaccine numbers.  Plus it offers superior treatment of covid in every phase of the infection/illness.  It's available right now.  Today.  Safety and tolerance is fully established and unquestioned.  

It's notable in the interview what Dr. Carvallo says about resistance to ivermectin use - it started only after the promising results began to emerge.  He offers some illuminating insights about why, which should come as no surprise as the same phar out thing is happening here.  Just ask Dr. Ratjer in Broward, FL.

Read the first paragraph of the Intro of this for an idea of how diverse the use of Ivermectin is:

Quantitative proteomics reveals a broad‐spectrum antiviral property of ivermectin, benefiting for COVID‐19 treatment:

Spoiler

Ōmura discovered a unique and extraordinary microorganism that could produce ivermectin in 1973 (Burg et al., 1979). Ivermectin was subsequently commercialized because it showed great safety and effectivity in human health. The current status of ivermectin was continuing to surprise and excite scientists (Laing, Gillan, & Devaney, 2017). It was originally intended to be a broad‐spectrum antiparasitic agent, and treat onchocerciasis, strongyloidiasis, lymphatic filariasis, and scabies in veterinary and human medicine (Chabala et al., 1980). There was an outstanding advantage of ivermectin that no confirmed or increased drug resistance appears in parasites, even in those human populations who have been receiving ivermectin as a monotherapy for more than 30 years (van Wyk & Malan, 1988). In terms of mechanism, the primary target of ivermectin is glutamate‐gated chloride channels (Abdeltawab et al., 2020). However, it was increasingly believed that ivermectin was closely related to the immune defense mechanism and acted like immunomodulatory agents to help suppress the parasite's ability to evade the host's immune (Schaller et al., 2017). Today, the new use of ivermectin made it become a relatively unknown drug. Drug repurposing and repositioning has been shown to control a completely new range of diseases (Ashour, 2019). For example, orbital myiasis, trichinosis, malaria, leishmaniasis, African trypanosomiasis, asthma, epilepsy, neurological disease, antiviral (e.g., human immunodeficiency virus [HIV], dengue, encephalitis; Yang et al., 2020), antibacterial (tuberculosis and Buruli ulcer; Csóka et al., 2018), anticancer (breast cancer, leukemia, glioblastoma, cervical cancer, gastric cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer, melanoma, and lung cancer; Crump, 2017). Multifaceted ‘wonder’ ivermectin may become an even more exceptional drug in the future. An international patent ‘Use of ivermectin and derivatives thereof’ caught people's increasing attention to ivermectin those years. Ivermectin would be developed to use for metabolic‐related diseases (diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, insulin resistance, obesity, hypertriglyceridemia, and hyperglycemia), Famesoid X receptor‐mediated diseases (atherosclerosis, nonalcohol fatty liver disease, cholestasia, and gallstones), inflammation, and cancer (Crump, 2017).

Edited by triplehorn

Whenever I see Ivor Cummins quoted, (they're very fond of him on right leaning forums) I grab my wallet and hold tight. He's a former engineer who's been quacking for a long time before COVID appeared. Same vein as Joseph Mercola, the other very well known quack/scammer. It's a tight knit group that circulate together and requote each other with some frequency. All remind me of the Herriot book that had a chapter about a pseudo vet who added a bunch of letters after his name so he would appear legit like the vets with MRCVS appended.

some numbers for this snapshot in time. We are heading into the heart of the Covid darkness. 

This is the 3rd wave for the nation (your local condition will vary) in the set of waves:

covid-cases-regions-4.png

Case rate in the big states are doing with COVID - notice how the third wave has the four "big states" cresting together

covid-ca-tx-ny-fl.png

Hospitalization numbers (ugly chart because of the dreaded data buildup) - upward we go again:

covid-hospitalization-regions-2.png

US v. Canada cases per day - Comparing our neighbor's response with our own:

canada-us.png

Charts from http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

God....we are such a stupid country, full of stupid people, selling stupidity wrapped in smart packaging.  We deserved every bit of this plague, and more.

man, your first sentence is so spot on. 

actually, the world definitely deserves this pandemic. and probably the next few that will come in the next decade. we treat the animals and the planet like shit. we stuff 1k chickens into a 10m x 10m room to shit on each other and we wonder how this could ever go wrong. 

We had TWO FUCKING TEST RUNS with the MERS and SARS and did nothing to change anything. we made a playbook and tossed it. DJ Monroe is back on the sidelines. GODAMMIT

ah well, nevertheless. there is more of this coming and it will be so wonderfully designed like COVID19 is. its the perfect virus really. its amplifying the distrust within the social fabric of the animal that is ruining the planet. well done VID

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is gold 

Trump invites them so he can claim credit for vaccines they were already developing before Warp Speed was even announced. Told him to get fucked. 

GOOD.  More companies and people need to continue this newfound strategy of telling dotard to go fuck himself.

When it comes to transactions, Pharma is more cutthroat than Trump could ever dream to be.  It only underscores how worthless he is today.  I haven't read the NYT article about him passing on the purchase of additional Pfizer vaccines last summer, but there already had to be personal vindictiveness involved (reported or not).  Who knows what was going on back then that preceded the purchase snub.  I'd like to know more, but for the first time ever with something involving Trump, I'm not too quick to pick a side in this particular instance.  The scientists are brilliant, but the business face is ruthless and in many ways is too powerful for the public good.  They must have pushed it in on Trump way back in the Spring.  Maybe it was deserved, but maybe not entirely either.

• Hook 'Em 1