CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Authorities are noticing the fully vaccinated obtaining boosters, fyi. Hopefully that cleans up the data with the vaccination push. 

https://www.statnews.com/2021/08/03/people-chasing-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-create-headaches-for-the-health-care-system/ (free link to Stat article)

Spoiler

WASHINGTON — The entire U.S. health care system has been single-mindedly focused on getting Covid-19 vaccine shots in arms, but as the Delta variant spreads, the country’s decentralized vaccination campaign is presenting a different challenge — how to police people seeking unauthorized booster shots.

The buzz around booster shots for Covid-19 vaccines has intensified in recent weeks as Pfizer has sought approval for a third shot of its vaccine regimen, and Israel, the United Kingdom, and Germany have greenlit additional shots. Federal officials in the United States say that booster shots are not needed yet. But some anxious patients are nonetheless trying to get them — either by asking a health care provider willing to prescribe an extra shot, or by lying about their earlier vaccination.

That puts the onus on hospital systems to make prescribing policies, on vaccination sites to check people’s vaccine records, and insurers to decide whether they will cover vaccines outside of the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is just starting to track data about unauthorized booster shots, Director Rochelle Walensky said Monday. She said the government can discern the difference between second and third shots, and is encouraging people to report safety outcomes if they receive boosters, though they are not recommended.

“We have the capacity and are looking at those data right now,” Walensky said. The data are not yet public.

Many vaccination sites, including those at Walgreens and CVS, have explicit policies not to give additional shots to people who have been fully vaccinated. But they may not always be checking to ensure that that’s the case.

When patients arrive at vaccination sites, they usually have to fill out a consent form that asks whether they have been vaccinated before. In an ideal world, vaccinators would check the information on those forms against state vaccine registries to validate that patients are telling the truth.

“For this idea of boosters, it’s going to be hard to control. You just have to rely on local public health departments and local providers to prevent that from happening,” said Ajay Sethi, an associate professor of population health sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

In reality, some states don’t require that providers administering the shots check beforehand, and the Covid-19 vaccination mobilization brought in many new providers who may be doing the bare minimum, said Rebecca Coyle, executive director of the American Immunization Registry Association.

Because vaccine supplies have been so plentiful in recent weeks, ensuring patients aren’t overloading on vaccines hasn’t necessarily been top of mind for providers, Coyle said.

“Reviewing a person’s history before administration has been the best practice for many years,” Coyle said. “It’s time for a conversation about, ‘Maybe I should do that,’ as it hasn’t been on everyone’s minds yet.” . . . 

This is a good development for acquiring accurate data. 

(and no booster shaming intended at all. With all the idiots out there running around without vaccines, what one does to protect oneself is an individual decision and none of my concern. I just want clean data so we know how many of the 90 million idiots remain). 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

So what is your point? Do you have an opinion about them? Do you agree with the protestors? Is that why you are sharing it? Please, use your words, 

For vaccination, against vaccination passports.

• Fuck You 2

I'm sorry this bastard died, but because of people like him it took me weeks to convince my father that Covid was worse than the fucking flu and not a Democrat hoax. It also took me weeks to convince him to get vaccinated, although he would only agree to the one-shot J&J.

Why? Because my dad listens to right-wing radio and actually believes those bastards are telling him the truth. He's gullible. He lives in Oklahoma for fuck's sake.

26 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Authorities are noticing the fully vaccinated obtaining boosters, fyi. Hopefully that cleans up the data with the vaccination push. 

https://www.statnews.com/2021/08/03/people-chasing-covid-19-vaccine-boosters-create-headaches-for-the-health-care-system/ (free link to Stat article)

Hide contents

WASHINGTON — The entire U.S. health care system has been single-mindedly focused on getting Covid-19 vaccine shots in arms, but as the Delta variant spreads, the country’s decentralized vaccination campaign is presenting a different challenge — how to police people seeking unauthorized booster shots.

The buzz around booster shots for Covid-19 vaccines has intensified in recent weeks as Pfizer has sought approval for a third shot of its vaccine regimen, and Israel, the United Kingdom, and Germany have greenlit additional shots. Federal officials in the United States say that booster shots are not needed yet. But some anxious patients are nonetheless trying to get them — either by asking a health care provider willing to prescribe an extra shot, or by lying about their earlier vaccination.

That puts the onus on hospital systems to make prescribing policies, on vaccination sites to check people’s vaccine records, and insurers to decide whether they will cover vaccines outside of the Food and Drug Administration’s authorization.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is just starting to track data about unauthorized booster shots, Director Rochelle Walensky said Monday. She said the government can discern the difference between second and third shots, and is encouraging people to report safety outcomes if they receive boosters, though they are not recommended.

“We have the capacity and are looking at those data right now,” Walensky said. The data are not yet public.

Many vaccination sites, including those at Walgreens and CVS, have explicit policies not to give additional shots to people who have been fully vaccinated. But they may not always be checking to ensure that that’s the case.

When patients arrive at vaccination sites, they usually have to fill out a consent form that asks whether they have been vaccinated before. In an ideal world, vaccinators would check the information on those forms against state vaccine registries to validate that patients are telling the truth.

“For this idea of boosters, it’s going to be hard to control. You just have to rely on local public health departments and local providers to prevent that from happening,” said Ajay Sethi, an associate professor of population health sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

In reality, some states don’t require that providers administering the shots check beforehand, and the Covid-19 vaccination mobilization brought in many new providers who may be doing the bare minimum, said Rebecca Coyle, executive director of the American Immunization Registry Association.

Because vaccine supplies have been so plentiful in recent weeks, ensuring patients aren’t overloading on vaccines hasn’t necessarily been top of mind for providers, Coyle said.

“Reviewing a person’s history before administration has been the best practice for many years,” Coyle said. “It’s time for a conversation about, ‘Maybe I should do that,’ as it hasn’t been on everyone’s minds yet.” . . . 

This is a good development for acquiring accurate data. 

(and no booster shaming intended at all. With all the idiots out there running around without vaccines, what one does to protect oneself is an individual decision and none of my concern. I just want clean data so we know how many of the 90 million idiots remain). 

Good development in terms of creating wide spread appreciation of the limitations of the US bureaucratic regulatory system, imo.

If you want a third shot or want to boost JNJ with mRNA why should you have to wait on the FDA/CDC machine to pull their head out of their ass while France and Israel and people paying attention move forward with relative agility.

Edited by Anastasis

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

If you want a third shot or want to boost JNJ with mRNA why should you have to wait on the FDA/CDC machine to pull their head out of their ass?

I get the sense that this is a fight over who will pay for the third dose - and how much the manufacturers will earn with each shot. I am hearing pricing numbers at $175 for boosters. 

As to your question, one shouldn't have to wait for a booster, given the abundant supply sitting unused and wasted. It's a personal health decision. 

13 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

I get the sense that this is a fight over who will pay for the third dose - and how much the manufacturers will earn with each shot. I am hearing pricing numbers at $175 for boosters. 

As to your question, one shouldn't have to wait for a booster, given the abundant supply sitting unused and wasted. It's a personal health decision. 

And I also do not think the public should have to pay for them.  This is something that the US Government should foot the bill for.  We pay for this with our tax dollars and THIS is a good use of that money, IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We’re Mississippi.  

Texas Won’t Require Schools To Notify Parents Of COVID-19 Cases

The new guidance will allow for remote learning for up to 20 days for students that are sick with COVID-19 or have been exposed to it

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/education/2021/08/06/405265/texas-wont-require-schools-to-notify-parents-of-covid-19-cases/

We’re Mississippi.  

Texas Won’t Require Schools To Notify Parents Of COVID-19 Cases

The new guidance will allow for remote learning for up to 20 days for students that are sick with COVID-19 or have been exposed to it

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/education/2021/08/06/405265/texas-wont-require-schools-to-notify-parents-of-covid-19-cases/

We’re not Mississippi. We’re fucking dumber than Mississippi.
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

3 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

And I also do not think the public should have to pay for them.  This is something that the US Government should foot the bill for.  We pay for this with our tax dollars and THIS is a good use of that money, IMO.  

Get that bag:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/21/business/covid-vaccine-billionaires/index.html

• Fuck You 1

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/07/14/why-vaccine-shy-french-are-suddenly-rushing-to-get-jabbed

”COVID-19 VACCINATION rates are slowing in many rich countries. As they inoculate more of their citizens, countries begin to meet resistance among people who are less confident about being jabbed. Few people have been more vaccine-sceptic than the French. A poll carried out by Ifop in December reported that a remarkable 61% of them would not get vaccinated against covid-19—compared with 30% in America. In another poll in 2018, one-in-three told the Wellcome Trust that they did not think vaccines were safe—more than in any other country out of 144 surveyed.”

it’s interesting, and from December, and apparently their idiots are “smarter” than ours or at least they are willing to change their tune. I wish we would do something like France just did and basically mandate the vax for doing anything in public.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/03/08/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-is-worse-in-eu-than-us/?sh=49694544611f

“The numbers in the U.S. are significantly better than the E.U. Last month, in collaboration with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the RECOVER Social Sciences team published a policy brief based on their study on public views of Covid-19 vaccination. The study covered seven European countries: France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and Ukraine. 

Only 36% of the surveyed Europeans strongly agree with the statement that vaccines are safe. Posed the question whether respondents would be willing to be vaccinated if the vaccine was found to be safe and effective and provided free-of-charge, only between 44% and 66% answered in the affirmative. Moreover, a separate poll in France found that only 40% of French people want the Covid-19 vaccine.

Poll after poll conducted across Europe suggest very large numbers of Europeans have serious qualms about the safety of vaccines and potential short- and long-term adverse effects. They also voice concern about the speed with which vaccines went through the clinical development process. A vocal minority perceives the vaccine as unnecessary. And many have conveyed their mistrust of global and national authorities as well as pharmaceutical companies, who some regard as solely pursuing financial interests and not those of public health.”

Anyway,  MNLonghorn has lost his mind during Covid and I went after him multiple times on the old DT thread, or maybe it was dcar but they have both been pretty much interchangeable in my mind, but what bothers me is Penelope going after American idiots. We aren’t unique because the world is full of idiots. Americans didn’t ruin her damn vacation. The world did. I’m guessing that is kind of where he is coming from.

Edited by justhookit
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Sturgis happening again this year.  Gotta think delta is gonna rip them up.

And they’re going to take it back to their home towns and spread it there.

I saw a piece on CBS News this morning where they were in Sturgis and the reporter was interviewing this fat old biker skank and asking her if she was concerned about Covid. She said, “Nope, not since day 1,” and she also said she wouldn’t get vaccinated, all while sporting a shit-eating grin and cackling like the moron that she is. Dirt fucking stupid, a threat to public health, and proud of it.

If she doesn’t catch Covid and die from that, maybe she’ll wreck her bike and not get a hospital bed because they’re all full of Covid patients. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2021/07/14/why-vaccine-shy-french-are-suddenly-rushing-to-get-jabbed
”COVID-19 VACCINATION rates are slowing in many rich countries. As they inoculate more of their citizens, countries begin to meet resistance among people who are less confident about being jabbed. Few people have been more vaccine-sceptic than the French. A poll carried out by Ifop in December reported that a remarkable 61% of them would not get vaccinated against covid-19—compared with 30% in America. In another poll in 2018, one-in-three told the Wellcome Trust that they did not think vaccines were safe—more than in any other country out of 144 surveyed.”

it’s interesting, and from December, and apparently their idiots are “smarter” than ours or at least they are willing to change their tune. I wish we would do something like France just did and basically mandate the vax for doing anything in public.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2021/03/08/covid-19-vaccine-hesitancy-is-worse-in-eu-than-us/?sh=49694544611f
“The numbers in the U.S. are significantly better than the E.U. Last month, in collaboration with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, the RECOVER Social Sciences team published a policy brief based on their study on public views of Covid-19 vaccination. The study covered seven European countries: France, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Sweden, and Ukraine. 
Only 36% of the surveyed Europeans strongly agree with the statement that vaccines are safe. Posed the question whether respondents would be willing to be vaccinated if the vaccine was found to be safe and effective and provided free-of-charge, only between 44% and 66% answered in the affirmative. Moreover, a separate poll in France found that only 40% of French people want the Covid-19 vaccine.
Poll after poll conducted across Europe suggest very large numbers of Europeans have serious qualms about the safety of vaccines and potential short- and long-term adverse effects. They also voice concern about the speed with which vaccines went through the clinical development process. A vocal minority perceives the vaccine as unnecessary. And many have conveyed their mistrust of global and national authorities as well as pharmaceutical companies, who some regard as solely pursuing financial interests and not those of public health.”
Anyway,  MNLonghorn has lost his mind during Covid and I went after him multiple times on the old DT thread, or maybe it was dcar but they have both been pretty much interchangeable in my mind, but what bothers me is Penelope going after American idiots. We aren’t unique because the world is full of idiots. Americans didn’t ruin her damn vacation. The world did. I’m guessing that is kind of where he is coming from.

First, I’m not a he.

Second, the EU is reconsidering letting Americans in because of our cause load which is caused by, you guessed it, unvaccinated Americans. See the Bloomberg article I linked.

It is like you added 1 plus 1 and got 5. I know the rest of the world has their idiots as well, but it is American stupidity that is impacting all of us.

From a Reddit post in an Oregon subreddit.  Vaccines saving lives if only you are not stupid enough to refuse them:

OHA has released their statewide breakthrough cases report (how many vaccinated ppl tested positive) for July: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/DataReports/Breakthrough-Report-08-2021.pdf
Some highlights from my POV:
 • 19% of positive cases from July were vaccinated folks (aka 81% unvaccinated)
 • "More than 9 in 10 severe cases of COVID requiring hospitalization or resulting in death have occurred in individuals who are not vaccinated."
 • 91% of deaths were unvaccinated folks
 • Deschutes Co had 257 breakthrough cases in July. So, ~0.002% of the vaccinated population tested positive for a breakthrough case last month
 • Only 27% of breakthrough cases statewide have occurred in individuals >65 years old. Median age is 51.

10 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Delta patients crash, and they crash faster and more severely than the cases we were seeing earlier in the pandemic. The coagulopathy is insane. You get a stroke! You get a stroke! Everyone gets a stroke! 

I'm assuming these are majority, if not entirely unvaccinated, but are you seeing this coagulopathy in breakthrough cases as well? Shit is scary 

14 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Can you imagine how low the vaccine rate would be if people had to pay for it?  Or would that make it seem like a luxury good and cause everyone to want it?  We are irrational afterall.  

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

We’re seeing more and more employers, include small and mid-size, do the same.

Because “enough.” Tolerating the stupid and dangerous choices of ignorant idiots is harming all of us: businesses, the economy, our healthcare system, travel, and of course, the health and safety of everyone else. Fuck tolerating their harmful behavior any longer. Ya,basta, enough.

Choices have consequences. One of them includes not being able to remain employed at numerous businesses. Tough shit, you made your choice.
  • Hook 'Em 2

The water.  It is wet.

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Since the pandemic began, just 26 of the 11,600 people in Alabama who have died of COVID-19 were fully vaccinated, State Health Officer Scott Harris said Friday. 

And most of the nearly 2,000 COVID-19 patients currently in state hospitals are also unvaccinated, he said. 

Harris released the numbers as the state tries to boost lagging vaccination rates. Health officials say recent cases resulting in severe illness and death could have largely been prevented if people had gotten inoculated

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-32617c0cb852301b4bfed849e207baad

4 hours ago, Bookman said:

I think at this point we should just assume that over the next six months to a year half the unvaccinated in this state are going to get infected.

It's almost like that is what Abbott is trying to accomplish.

I think with Delta it’s gonna be more like 3/4. Apparently it’s about as infectious as chickenpox. Takes about a minute of exposure.  of course not everyone exposed will get the virus from that exposure, but they will get exposed multiple times and so eventually most will contract the virus

I think with Delta it’s gonna be more like 3/4. Apparently it’s about as infectious as chickenpox. Takes about a minute of exposure.  of course not everyone exposed will get the virus from that exposure, but they will get exposed multiple times and so eventually most will contract the virus

They fuck around. But all of us have to deal with the consequences of their finding out.

Hmmmm….expecting society to bear the burden and cost of your shitty choices….who knew these folks were such huge, literally will-choose-it-at-all-costs, fans of SOCIALISM?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

While not great Bob, those are freestanding ERs they are closing to divert staff to the hospitals. I am expecting an email from THR pretty soon saying no more elective cases. That is really going to piss me off

• Like 1