CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

When death is all around, humans find ways to cope.

In WWII, as many of you likely know, battlefield soldiers wouldn't want to know a replacement's name or befriend him because replacements often didn't last long. Same with fighter plane groups. The pain of losing their original comrades led them to stay remote from new pilots entering the squadron.

Only in the last 100 or so years have people in Western countries assumed they'd be around for old age. Now death is rare and hidden. 

In college, I had a crisis over how many of the people in the world suffered while I had it so easy. It almost swallowed me up. I matured. I cannot save the world. I cannot care about every individual in the world. I just do what I can in my immediate area.

When my beloved relates the story of how a co-worker she barely knows lost a daughter in a car accident, I don't share her distress. I see the fact of the impact on the co-worker. I'd prefer that it didn't happen. I won't generate feelings about it.

On the other hand, I can be moved by a story involving a celebrity. I'm still downhearted when I think of Phil Harman being murdered by his wife. I can't stop that feeling.

Long post. We'll likely be seeing more death from Delta and even more from whatever mutates from that and races through unvaccinated Idiot World. Trauma Babe will need medication and a sabbatical as will all the health workers caught up in a plague we never thought would come...and stay.

I'm definitely going to self-lockdown, wear the mask, keep my distance, and helplessly watch. And grow emotionally hardened.

Detachment is the only way to emotionally survive. Irony World.

i do get it. 

it's hard to even imagine what was happening last march (of 2020) right now. we thought we would get bread, flour, and toilet paper and see this thing out for the next 3 - 6 months. here we now are in fucking august of 2021 and this shit still has a material impact on our life. 

i don't know if despair is the right word, but it's up there.

and i'm a guy who vacationed recently in new orleans while now louisiana is a shit show, and i was maskless at an austin fc match recently. 

it just feels like what you describe. the only way to cope is to shut off the feels faucet. but i don't want to be that guy. but i don't want the feels either. i don't know what to do or how to feel. it's a weird mix of virulent FUCK YOU anger and sadness. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, WBT said:

And how many officers can you afford to lose before the PD can't function?  I think a lot of private employers are also doing that calculus.  I think in the end there won't be too many people willing to lose their job over this but it's a risk.

As soon as you give them a deadline and demonstrate you can and will fire employees, 99% of them will fall in line.  Yes, the city needs the officers but the officers also need a job. If a 500 of them lost their job tomorrow, there are not enough open jobs in the immediate area that will hire them. They would have to balance their desire to not get the vaccine vs losing a decent paying job with a lifetime pension.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Only in the last 100 or so years have people in Western countries assumed they'd be around for old age.

Almost exclusively because of vaccines and antibiotics. I was a resident when the H Flu (a bacterial infection) vaccine became part of the routine childhood immunization schedule. In my first 3 month rotation on peds Ortho we took a toddler a week to the OR for a septic hip surgery. By my chief rotation as a pay 5 the service hadn’t had to do one in almost a year. We got one one night and my junior resident didn’t even know how to work it up. The rare one we would get woukd always be staph or strep. H flu also causes meningitis obviously much more devastating. Those numbers went to almost zero as well

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Very frustrating.  There are a few items that a fairly clear consensus has developed around among immunologists and virologists:
1) 3rd shot mRNA boosters for immunocompromised, elderly, and people in nursing homes. France and Israel have been doing this for a while now. 
2) mRNA booster for people with one adenovirus vector vaccine shot. Widely used in France and Canada and UK for AZ.  No good reason to treat JNJ differently. 
3) Mixing mRNA regimens when necessary is fine.

The CDC hasn't come out with positive guidance on any of this stuff, and until they do physicians will be reluctant to recommend to their patients. Frustrating to be on the tail end of the science here. Few weeks here, few weeks there...cases and deaths add up. 
Coronavirus booster shots for the immunocompromised expected to be authorized soon

By Laurie McGinley and Lena H. Sun

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/06/booster-shots-immunocompromised-fda/

• Hook 'Em 2

Came here to discuss what happens now. Very similar situation in Florida and DeSantis is threatening to cut off funding. I think if the big school districts in the state band together they can call Abbott's bluff on something like that.

Defunding liberal urban school districts would get Abbott’s dick hard if his dick could get hard.
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

If you choose not to get vaccinated, I'm not going to feel bad for you.  That goes for my friends and family members too.  My give a fuck is broken.

Yeah not saying I want my right wing anti vax friends to die but I mean….If He Dies Ivan Drago GIF

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Coronavirus booster shots for the immunocompromised expected to be authorized soon

By Laurie McGinley and Lena H. Sun

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/06/booster-shots-immunocompromised-fda/

In the next week or two, the Food and Drug Administration is expected to review data from the Centers for the Disease Control and Prevention supporting the use of additional vaccine doses for the immunocompromised. If officials are persuaded, they will amend the emergency use authorizations for the vaccines to permit the extra inoculations. Advisers to the CDC and the agency, in turn, will urge people with certain medical conditions to talk to their doctors or pharmacists about getting the shots.

KQm4C1-7

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Fuck everyone who chooses to be unvaccinated. If my first vacation in 2.5 years gets cancelled....
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-06/eu-expected-to-discuss-reimposing-travel-restrictions-on-u-s

My son - who is in the act of getting his shit together, and rally needs this - is set to travel to Germany in a few weeks to do 9 months of intensive language study. We’ve paid for the school, lodging, all that.

If that gets fucked because MURICA FREEDOM EAGLE FLAG NOBODY TELLS NE WHAT TO DO bullshit anti-vaxxers…..mothefucker.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My son - who is in the act of getting his shit together, and rally needs this - is set to travel to Germany in a few weeks to do 9 months of intensive language study. We’ve paid for the school, lodging, all that.

If that gets fucked because MURICA FREEDOM EAGLE FLAG NOBODY TELLS NE WHAT TO DO bullshit anti-vaxxers…..mothefucker.

Europe is 100% going to tell us to get fucked in the next couple of weeks, send his ass now 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Listen, I like you, but stop with this shit. you don’t even have kids. Every fucking day you go home is a goddamn vacation.

this is some weird aggression energy. 

i say this as a parent who decided two fucking weeks ago that a trip to new orleans made sense. now lousiana is bathed in delta variant. we came home two weeks ago yesterday, so im hoping that's a good thing, but we're all in this together. 

so...i dunno what to tell you. 

• Like 1

As two breakthrough cases, my wife and I had a friend text us yesterday telling us to take HCQ and the horse stuff. We were told that if we couldn’t get a human script, to just get the animal version and use online conversation charts. I had previously heard about this and thought the whole thing was a joke until someone close to us earnestly encouraged us to poison ourselves. Won’t take the “experimental vaccine” but will take horse dewormer.

In that scenario, there is zero chance that would continue being friends with that person.

3 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Oh, cool. Two separate school systems - one for the kids of conservatives, and one for everyone else. What could possibly go wrong with that plan?

Those parents are gonna be in for a nice surprise when that voucher covers maybe 50% of the tuition, school lunches are $5 instead of $1.50, all extra curriculars are an extra fee tacked on to the tuition, there are no additional services (reading tutors, speech therapy, etc), and they are constantly hounded for donations. Welcome to private school! Fuck em.

i say this as a parent who decided two fucking weeks ago that a trip to new orleans made sense. now lousiana is bathed in delta variant. we came home two weeks ago yesterday, so im hoping that's a good thing, but we're all in this together. 

It is not aggression. It is frustration and listening to someone whine about their vacation during a pandemic. I get being jaded. I understand apathy.

Most of us are all missing out on things. Kids included.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It is not aggression. It is frustration and listening to someone whine about their vacation during a pandemic. I get being jaded. I understand apathy.

Most of us are all missing out on things. Kids included.

We are all frustrated. And right now, this shit is being prolonged by a fucking minority in this country who are so fucking stupid to function.

I’ve fucking done everything right, and now because of the, “But my Freedom,” idiots, the one thing I’ve looked forward to since March 2020 is potentially going to be taken from me.

Meanwhile, these assholes got fucking stimulus checks paid with my tax dollars. Fuck them all.

And don’t yell at me because you have kids. You chose that for yourself. Deal with it.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

Nah he speaks the truth. nobody is feeling sorry if she can’t go to Paris or Rome. He’s saying Everyday she gets home from work and doesn’t have to deal with kids is a vacation. There’s 49 other states to drive or fly to starting tonight….but they are probably beneath her because she’s from NYC.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Nah he speaks the truth. nobody is feeling sorry if she can’t go to Paris or Rome. He’s saying Everyday she gets home from work and doesn’t have to deal with kids is a vacation. There’s 49 other states to drive or fly to starting tonight….but they are probably beneath her because she’s from NYC.

Yes, let’s go somewhere in the US where half the population are complete cunts. Sounds awesome to me.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 2