The Last of Us coming to HBO

rage-a-holic

5 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The Fireflies seem like the sort of organization that would have tried to recreate Ellie’s immunity. I mean, they know the recipe.

not being a dick but I don't understand what you're saying.  isn't that what they were doing, trying to find a cure?  what else is there to understand?  and what recipe are you referring to the surgery and shit they were going to do to ellie?  because it would seem that they didn't "know" the recipe, but just thought "hey I think this could work, let's give it a shot."

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m assuming no one knew Ellie was immune until she got bit in the mall. How would anyone have known prior to that?

I didn't play the game so I'm just talking out of my ass, but as a viewer of the show it seems that marlene obviously didn't kill ellie as a baby but didn't want to deal with her so she was just passed off to fedra or whatever.  forgotten.  and then I assume the fireflies found ellie in the mall, where they had stationed riley, and riley had turned and ellie hadn't so they were like "hmmm, interesting" and decided to see if she'd turn.  and she didn't.  and here we are.

Edited by futureman

First, Joel did the only thing a father (type) could do. 

Second, fuck those stupid doctors - lets destroy the only thing we have that might cure this?

Third, after killing every single person for trying to kill my daughter (type) i would have told her the truth.

Fourth, i would then try to find actually smart doctors and scientists that would actually try a different approach that might actually work without killing the girl. but if the girl has to die, then lets be damn sure of it and lets give her the choice. because ya know its her life and all.

and fuck TLoU for 45 minutes and even moreso for only 9 episodes. Im not keen on the second season storyline from the game so not sure how much i will pay attention to it moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Im not keen on the second season storyline from the game so not sure how much i will pay attention to it moving forward.

Just perused TLOU2 Wikipedia plot line. Oh boy that sounds like some TWD shit

yeah just did the same.  to be honest it sounds horrible.  not sure I will watch it.
Playing through it was a beating, but looking at the broader themes, and the way they did it made it one of most ambitious narrative-driven games I can think of. It did not have the replayability of part 1, but when I think of it, part 2 was a masterpiece.

It will not be for everyone, but if you appreciate this season, there is no reason you won't appreciate the next. That being said, they have some real challenges presenting that story and keeping people engaged. I think they can pull it off.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, futureman said:

not being a dick but I don't understand what you're saying.  isn't that what they were doing, trying to find a cure?  what else is there to understand?  and what recipe are you referring to the surgery and shit they were going to do to ellie? 

He’s referring to having women who are giving birth intentionally get infected so that their babies are immune. 

He’s also drawing a parallel to Nazi experiments on pregnant women. 

There you go. I connected the dots for you. 

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Just perused TLOU2 Wikipedia plot line. Oh boy that sounds like some TWD shit

I didn't watch TWD, but I'm in the camp that really enjoyed TLOU2 game - maybe even more than the first. Gets spoilery to go into why, but much of what makes the first game/season 1 great, is there the second time around as well.

56 minutes ago, hornian said:

He’s referring to having women who are giving birth intentionally get infected so that their babies are immune. 

Spoiler

Which is a distinction that I find curious, as at least in modern Western medicine, the most basic tenet is "first, do no harm" and shortly after that, "the good of the few is not sacrificed for the good of the many." Killing Ellie to save all humanity, even if a 100% sure thing, is just not a course of action that would even be proposed, much less seriously considered. Once you jump the shark on ethics, go ahead and just get surrogate women infected to use their babies for vaccine cells, then you have an unlimited supply. Killing Ellie and infecting and killing random pregnant women after birth is the same moral black.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, hornian said:

fair enough.  so are we looking at the fireflies as nazis?  I don’t really see that connection at all.  I interpreted it as they were invested (foolishly, maybe) in the hope that it would work, not that they were psycopaths. 

16 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Every moment of dialogue between Joel and Ellie while walking together had that awkward feeling. Joel talking too much and being too positive, Ellie on the brink of saying STFU was so well done. Kept waiting for her to explode until she asked the question knowing his lie would confirm her answer. 

It was a switch in personalities almost from earlier episodes.   Joel has something the live for and Ellie doesn't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah just did the same.  to be honest it sounds horrible.  not sure I will watch it.

it was horrible. Imagine getting so hyped for something for years after it was announced and then you fire it up to play and are dealt that steaming pile of shit. Really hoping the just say fuck tLOU 2 and write a different story for season 2. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tchookem said:

Playing through it was a beating, but looking at the broader themes, and the way they did it made it one of most ambitious narrative-driven games I can think of. It did not have the replayability of part 1, but when I think of it, part 2 was a masterpiece.

It will not be for everyone, but if you appreciate this season, there is no reason you won't appreciate the next. That being said, they have some real challenges presenting that story and keeping people engaged. I think they can pull it off.

I feel like season 1 was probably the best video game adaptation ever (I know huge stretch there) I may just let it ride into the sunset. Even though the story in pt2 was incredible, I fucking hated it. So not sure I need to watch that again. I will but it will probably be with the hope that they change the story substantially. 

I didn't watch TWD, but I'm in the camp that really enjoyed TLOU2 game - maybe even more than the first. Gets spoilery to go into why, but much of what makes the first game/season 1 great, is there the second time around as well.

I loved part 2 as well. Personally I hope they stick to the plot for season 2.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, tchookem said:

It'll be hard and I don't think they really nailed it in the game (though I have no idea what I would do to improve how the story is presented), but I think Mazin can pull it off.

4 hours ago, Juicy said:

it was horrible. Imagine getting so hyped for something for years after it was announced and then you fire it up to play and are dealt that steaming pile of shit. Really hoping the just say fuck tLOU 2 and write a different story for season 2. 

I'm hopeful the positive reaction from everyone to the non-canon Bill/Frank episode will lead to S2 just using TLOU2 as a basic outline for a deeper and richer TV show.

• Hook 'Em 1

The zombie movie and similar shows and video games have been an oversaturated and over done market for the past twenty years. There are just too many movies, shows, video games, graphic novels, you name it, with the same tropes and storylines over and over again. They keep making money from fan bases so a show like The Walking Dead and its spinoffs just keep going well past their expiration date.

I finished a couple of playthroughs of TLOU2, its nowhere near as bad as The Walking Dead. The whole conventions and repetitive nature of all zombie media just needs a shake up. Im kind of interested in whether a good tv producer could really nail the next season. The tv show is part of a big picture strategy for Sony to turn its single player game IPs into franchises and expand their fanbases and keep them relevant while their competitors multiplayer and free to play games are basically minting money with microtransactions and leaving the single player titles in the dust money wise.

Some of y'all don't watch the post show commentaries with the directors and it shows.
Thought for sure the finale was going to be more gut-wrenching.  
Oh well....in for Season 2.

Man, I got shit to do. I already feel like keeping up with all the damn shows on the 1,297 streaming services is like a second job. Hell, I have stopped raising my kids and let them become feral children like in Thunderdome.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Am I understanding correctly that, within a span of a few minutes, Ellie's mom was bitten, after which she kills the attacker, gives birth, cuts the cord, and cordyceps from that bite found its way into the newborn and somehow granted her immunity? In a couple of minutes? And why would cordyceps care that it was in a newborn? Could it really distinguish a baby host from a child or adult host? I'd understand it more if Ellie's mom was immune and infected but asymptomatic, and the cordyceps grew along with Ellie from conception.

And yes, I realize dystopian tv shows require a suspension of disbelief. I'm just wondering if I missed something in the timeline when Ellie's mom got bitten, and if I'm misunderstanding how it's transmitted.

4 hours ago, austingirl said:

Am I understanding correctly that, within a span of a few minutes, Ellie's mom was bitten, after which she kills the attacker, gives birth, cuts the cord, and cordyceps from that bite found its way into the newborn and somehow granted her immunity? In a couple of minutes? And why would cordyceps care that it was in a newborn? Could it really distinguish a baby host from a child or adult host? I'd understand it more if Ellie's mom was immune and infected but asymptomatic, and the cordyceps grew along with Ellie from conception.

And yes, I realize dystopian tv shows require a suspension of disbelief. I'm just wondering if I missed something in the timeline when Ellie's mom got bitten, and if I'm misunderstanding how it's transmitted.

I think that’s right with the caveat that we don’t know how much the Firefly doctor was guessing. Did they even do any tests or did they theorize based off what Marlene could put together. It also seems dumb that any chemicals couldn’t be traced in a blood draw vs having to do brain surgery. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn't play the game so I'm just talking out of my ass, but as a viewer of the show it seems that marlene obviously didn't kill ellie as a baby but didn't want to deal with her so she was just passed off to fedra or whatever.  forgotten.  and then I assume the fireflies found ellie in the mall, where they had stationed riley, and riley had turned and ellie hadn't so they were like "hmmm, interesting" and decided to see if she'd turn.  and she didn't.  and here we are.

The recipe is pregnant lady + zombie bite = immunity. I can’t imagine all their eggs are in the Ellie basket.

I feel like season 1 was probably the best video game adaptation ever (I know huge stretch there) I may just let it ride into the sunset. Even though the story in pt2 was incredible, I fucking hated it. So not sure I need to watch that again. I will but it will probably be with the hope that they change the story substantially. 

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Haven’t read a page since the show started. Just blazed through the whole season and that was great. Can’t say I missed reading several pages of arguing about the gay prepper story being a waste of time. Or whatever has been going on in here.

Actually, you missed several pages of people saying the gay prepper story line was the best part of the show. And like one idiot being upset by it (and the idiot wasn't even Slorch, believe it or not!)

Edited by hornian
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The more I think about it, the more I think Joel didn’t have much of a choice. The path he took is the path most people would take in his position.

What did they know about the procedure planned for Ellie? What were the risks? How likely was it that she would die? How likely was it that the procedure would get humanity any closer to having a cure? What were the qualifications of the medical staff? Was the doctor a neurosurgeon or a quack veterinarian that was the closest thing the Fireflies could find?

Considering they knocked Joel out and separated him from Ellie without discussing any of those things, he has to be pretty damn skeptical of the operation. His choices were:

A) Blindly trust them, hope she didn’t die, hope they found a cure

B) Kill them, rescue Ellie, live to fight another day, and maybe a better opportunity arises later

How could you not pick B?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, hornian said:

Actually, you missed several pages of people saying the gay prepper story line was the best part of the show. And like one idiot being upset by it (and the idiot wasn't even Slorch, believe it or not!)

I’m pleasantly surprised. Lots of “no pooping not realistic” talk. I figured it wouldn’t go full homophobe here but would get some of “The Fly” treatment.

10 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Joel didn’t have much of a choice. The path he took is the path most people would take in his position.

What did they know about the procedure planned for Ellie? What were the risks? How likely was it that she would die? How likely was it that the procedure would get humanity any closer to having a cure? What were the qualifications of the medical staff? Was the doctor a neurosurgeon or a quack veterinarian that was the closest thing the Fireflies could find?

Considering they knocked Joel out and separated him from Ellie without discussing any of those things, he has to be pretty damn skeptical of the operation. His choices were:

A) Blindly trust them, hope she didn’t die, hope they found a cure

B) Kill them, rescue Ellie, live to fight another day, and maybe a better opportunity arises later

How could you not pick B?

There was no chance at survival was the way I took it. 

Seems like the show did everything they could to make the show more realistic than the game, primarily in the form of reducing the number of combat situations and kills Joel has to make in the game. Somewhat surprising then, that they had him go full Leeroy Jenkins and kill like 25 fully armed soldiers by himself. 

I don't know if I would trust the Fire Fly's to use the cure in a humanitarian manner either.  They are probably just as likely to use it to replace the government with themselves.  Civilization had devolved to the point that I don't know if it could be saved.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

I don't know if I would trust the Fire Fly's to use the cure in a humanitarian manner either.  They are probably just as likely to use it to replace the government with themselves.  Civilization had devolved to the point that I don't know if it could be saved.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I’m pleasantly surprised. Lots of “no pooping not realistic” talk.

that’s the second time I’ve seen that mentioned.  I never watched an episode of TWD.  was that a hot topic on the message boards or what?

Edited by futureman